This was my very first clear stand

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I disliked the silicone showing thru to the point I almost ripped this one apart. Easier said than done lol! Instead I covered it up with a couple of frosted glass dishes and glass marbles and flat pieces. It turned out ok. It is nice and sturdy and holds this large pot easily. I can't wait to get my new Lexel adhesive that dries clear. Then I'll be a real clear glass stand making machine ... ha! I love them the best of all colors. At least I won't feel ashamed of the silicone showing thru and I won't have to spend so much time trying to hide the ugliness. ............ that's my plan anyway!
Skeeter is my busybody kitty. She's always got her nose in my business! lol!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2006 3:57 PM

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

A little closer

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh boy, the possibilities! What a great birdbath that would make too.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Great idea Katy! I wonder if a punch bowl would work? I just happen to have one that I have never used for years. I'm gonna give your idea a try! :)

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

I stole your idea and made 3 plant stands. I hope you don't mind. It looked like so much fun, and it was. Went to Dollar Tree and Deals today and came home with a car full. Can't wait to make more. Getting ready to try the Lexon adhesive. Looks to me that Skeeter wants to be on top of that plant :o)
LOL. Thanks so much for sharing these with us. Yours look so pretty.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I wish more people would steal it! I love having the company and others to share with. Isn't the search just the most fun thing to do? I'm really looking forward to seeing your creations cmalon!
Skeeter is a true rascal. She loves to get on the roof and then cry for me to get her down. Never a dull moment. ha! ... vicki

This message was edited Feb 14, 2006 5:26 PM

Eden Prairie, MN(Zone 4a)

Skeeter looks like she is DEFINATELY up to something...maybe thinking of salad for lunch?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

its really super super nice.. lovely.. great idea..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I loveyour creation and I would like to try one of my own. Could you please tell me what each piece is, where it stops and where a new one starts. I agree with you about the clear glass. Somehow it seems to be more elegant.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Your creation is really lovely! I am becoming very tempted to give it a try, too.
Sharon

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks guys! :)
Hope this helps!

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
(Zone 5a)

That is beautiful!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply. It will help me a lot. I am going to try my hand at art and see what I can come up with. I think it would be a good Secret Sister gift for church.

(Zone 5a)

I'd be proud to recieve it! It's a fantastic gift!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What do you think about filling one or more parts of the creation with something like river rocks. I think it would be a nice contrast to have the elegant white glass filled with the natural organic stone. Do you agree?

(Zone 5a)

I think that would be nice! I love rocks. If I was keeping it, I'd try some colorful polished stones, or even large craft beads. I love them too.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

The sky is the limit. Whatever you decide to do with it makes it your own creation.

The one pictured above is kind of heavy as is. Make sure you don't create something that is too heavy for you to transport. I don't know if your Secret Sister is elderly or not but if she is the weight will be especially important.

Also you'll need to let the adhesive cure for a couple of months in order for it to be safely strong enough to be moved around.

Another idea to add color interest might be to use it as a gazing ball stand. The very top is a blue vase turned right side up to hold the ball. You can usually find the balls at Big Lots for about $8.

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that. I am going to look for some treasures at the local thrift shops and resale shops and this area is yard sale heaven. I should be able to find something at a good price.

The Villages, FL(Zone 9a)

Very neat idea, thanks for sharing it. Karen

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Has anyone tried using clear silicone for doors/windows on this?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Can you believe I have never made mine? If you knew me, it wouldn't suprise you a bit. LOL I have all the components bought. Likely enough for 2 but I haven't bought my adhesive. I wondered about the silicone. Has anyone tried it?

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow - these are beautiful! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing! So much to try - so little time.....

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey CajuninKY, I am really gonna try to get this done. I have bought so much glass stuff in the last week. Just got back from a thrift shop with a load. I've got to get at least one made or DH is probably gonna have a fit. I know what you mean though, I have all the ideas and have the stuff to make neat garden art and then never get around to putting it together. DH is good about keeping an eye out for potential garden art stuff too, though. Especially rusty stuff. While browsing through these old threads, I just said to myself I have to do this. DH said he didn't think the silicone would stick it together as an adhesive.

Where do you buy this Lexel adhesive? Hardware store, Wal-Mart? But, having to wait a couple of months for the adhesive to cure enough to move it around is painful. Surely there is something that wouldn't take that long.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I found the Lexel at a old local hardware. And it says it takes 2-3 weeks to cure! I am determined! I will make some of these! I love the blue gazing ball one above. Also considering one with a flat plate top to use as a bird feeder (cause we feed lots of birds).

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Darn you Vee8ch! My "Fun things to Make" list is already as long as my arm and now I absolutely MUST make one of these!

I just LOVE it! I can't wait to find some vases at the thrift store and put them to lovely use!

K

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

That is amazing!

Sea glass in it would be cool too.....

mg

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

I found a punch bowl, a crystal vase and a beautiful fruit plate all in the cut crystal glass. I'm dying to make a birdbath or birdfeeder out of them. I still have to get the Lexon Adhesive. I bought the crazy glue kind for glass, but after reading the post everyone has I better change that. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to move it outside.
Peg

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I had a hard time with the Lexel. Basically, my problem was keeping it level and the fact that it takes so long for the Lexel to dry. I have gone with the clear silicone. I think I am going to like it okay. Will know more after I use them a while. If the silicone is real thick, it will have a milky look, so far. I just did it over the weekend. I have finished two. Will try to get pictures up soon.

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Gingerlily...I haven't started on this new project yet. I wondered how I am supposed to glue the pieces and wait for them to be stable. Please let me know what glue works for you or any hints on how to succeed with this thing.
Peg

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Vee8ch

Very impressive.

Judy

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Vee8ch...I agree with Judy, It caught my eye right away. I only hope I can do half as good as you, that will make me happy. I'm looking for a protected place to put this masterpiece if and when I finish it.
Peg

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lily

Please let us know about the silicone. I am not good at waiting for anything and curing sounds like a long wait. May go with the silicone myself.

I have gotten a few cobalt blue bottles that a drink comes in. Smaller long neck bottle. Will add deep color to my clear elegance. My SIL collects cobalt blue so I may craft her something for her newly remodeled room.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

After three weeks, the lexel still had not totally cured. I thought it was and picked up the stand and the bottom piece came loose (that was the only join I had not replaced with silicone). I have gone back and put silicone on all the joins of that piece. The second one I made I did with the silicone and it feels good and secure so far. In the picture, the tall one is the first one I made. I used a punch bowl for the base on both of these.

Thumbnail by gingerlily
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Just to show them empty.

Thumbnail by gingerlily
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I may get too heavy handed with the silicone, but it so far has stayed milky looking. This is the clear silicone. It doesn't show from a distance, but if you look closely you can see it. It's not enough to bother me, but I will possibly try not to put as much in some places. I was just so frustrated with the lexel, I think I overdid the silicone.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2007 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by gingerlily
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

another join

Thumbnail by gingerlily
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Last one I replaced after three weeks waiting for the lexel to dry. Actually, I like Vee8ch's idea of covering messy joins with the glass or acrylic stones or whatever you call them.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2007 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by gingerlily
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Three weeks??? That is way too long for anything adhesive! wow..

ok I just went back and noticed that Veech said it needs to cure for a couple months.. thud. I am thinking that you would have to do these inside over the winter so you wouldn't be tempted to pick them up and move them too early.. sheesh there has to be a better way!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2007 12:55 PM

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the update. I will go with the silicone also. Yours looks fine.

Do any of you have any ideas about how to get painted labels off colored glass without scatching the item or turning it cloudy? The cobalt blue bottles have white painted labels. Thanks. It may be a while before I check back in. I am having computer problems.

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

WD40 works to get most labels off, test a small spot first?

mg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images