My babies made it

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This is my first year for WS. I started the last week of Dec, and by the last week of Jan 4 jugs had germinated - 2 each of poppy and achillea. Then about a week ago our night temps were in the teens, they looked like little popsicles, so I thought those seedlings would be history. I went out and checked today and those babies look healthy as can be. Amazing!

Fortunately, no others have sprouted. I don't have all that many containers out. But temps are supposed to be around 55-60 for the next couple of days, then down to 14 by Saturday night. Yes, gardening is interesting in Ohio.

Karen

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I haven't been able to check on mine since the snow this weekend, but they seem to be mighty happy out there!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

kc-- that is amazing! I was worried about everyone's sprouts in the past week so I'm glad there is some good news.

It's interesting trying this wintersowing and becoming so 'connected' with the climate changes and those tiny sprouts! Before Wintersowing I never paid much attention to the weather...

Mine aren't sprouting yet.

Weedville, PA(Zone 6a)

No sprouts here yet either. Sposed to hit 45* today, don't know what's up after that. I may be afraid to look at them after that.

Glad to hear yours are doing so well. It's encouraging, thanks for sharing!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another test is coming for those babies. They're predicting 10 degrees by Saturday night.

Karen

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

my sprouts are fine - but no new ones...anticipation, anticipaaation, it's making me wait... - I keep singing that song in my head

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yikes! Predictions for tonight are 4 degrees. That's pretty extreme. We are getting a little light snow now, but supposed to be less than an inch. I hope it will be enough to give them a little insulation. I still have some columbine seeds that I wanted to get out there while it's cold. Maybe I'll get time to sow them today and get them outside. I think I've got most of the perennial seeds done and mostly annuals left to do.

Karen

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

They will hopefully do fine - great going that you got your perennials done. I will hopefully finish that up this weekend.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yesterday was warmer and my icicle pansies were beautiful. It's 15 degrees now and we got just a dusting of snow. My husband got out there this a.m. in his pajama bottoms, a hooded sweatshirt, and gym shoes to bury my pansies in snow for me.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

what a good guy! You sure that's what he was doing - looks more like he was making a snow ball!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, what a sweetie pie to do that for you!

Yes, it's cold today, and I'm thinking I'd better get out there and cover up my pansies, too!

p.s. you have a very pretty porch! Lovely in summer, I bet.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

He's DEFINITELY a keeper, kqcrna!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.