Why Do Folks Love Living in the South?

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Cheese grits.
You can put a license tag on anything, drive it down the road, and no one will stop you.
Sweet tea.
Barbecue.
It only takes one snowflake to create a statewide holiday.
Supermarkets have quaint names like Piggly-Wiggly and Winn-Dixie.
Children actually address adults using the epithets "sir" and "ma'am."
Police officers greet you by name when pulling you over for a traffic violation.
Crocus comes up before the last Christmas decorations are down.
Front porches.
Back porches.
Corn-on-the-cob.
We have our own way of tawkin'.
We have our own music.
Fried pies.
Plenty of elbow room.
At every get-together, there is always someone who can pick a guitar.
Vintage automobiles are given the respect they deserve.
Azaleas.
Fried okra.
Cornbread.
Farmer's markets.
Flea markets.
If you break down on the side of the road, someone will always stop to help you.
Soda pop brands have fun names like Sun-drop, Nehi, Grapico.
Children grow up bilingual, speaking both English & Southern.
Strangers say hello on the street and you say hello back.
Siestas on summer afternoons.
Butterbeans.
Fried catfish
Certain homemade beverages.
Folks know your mamma and daddy, and their mammas and daddies.
Pa-Paw's tomatoes.
Going barefoot in March.
Bluegrass festivals.
Nanner puddin'
Camellias blooming in February.
Volunteer fire departments.
Sawmill gravy.
Backyard gardens.
Homemade ice-cream.
Snow flurries on Thanksgiving.
Heat-waves on Thanksgiving.
Sunsets in November.
Family recipes.
Knowing someone will always hold the door for you.
We might fight, but we always make up.
Wild blackberries.
Children actually use the quaint expressions please and thank you.
Church suppers on the ground.
No part of a pig ever goes to waste.
People don't usually pass through - they come to stay.
Sycamores, dogwoods, live oaks, fig trees, sweet gums, crape myrtles and magnolias.
You can leave the south, but you'll always come back!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I agree with everything you said, but you forgot one important thing - people smile at you! Plus, people (not just guys) hold the door open for you if you are even a dozen steps away and you have nothing in your hands to prevent you from opening that same door. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

pins, I'm with you. I love it when someone does that for me, and I always look them in the eyes and say, "Thank you!"

That's what makes me a Southern Belle!!!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Right on! I do the same.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Amen on the SWEET TEA!!! And a bunch of the other things you listed, too! And one of my favorite things.... people wave at you when they drive by, even if they don't know you from Adam, and you wave back! I remember someone asking me one time "who was that?" and I said "I don't know" and they said "well what did you wave at them for?" and I said "they waved at me, so I waved back!"

Cotton Gins
Tractors
Trains blocking traffic....and you don't even care if you have to sit there and wait. Gives you time to think.
Gail

Olive Branch, MS(Zone 7b)

I lived in Michigan for 5 years. I was extra sad every March because I knew it was spring at home and it was still deep winter in Michigan.

We call our parents Mama and Daddy all our lives.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I second...or third all the above and add one thing: year before last I set up two small kitchen tables out on the front porch(maybe some would call it a patio)..one under the roof for rainy days and one out in the open part for warm spring days. During spring and summer,first thing we do on the weekend mornings is take our coffee out and sit while the dogs romp in the side yard then have breakfast a little later. The first year,neighbors looked at us like we were crazy when we'd be out there eating our meals but ya know what?.......I noticed several new outdoor dining rooms popping up on porches around the neighborhood last year. Lots of folks walking or driving by stop for a cup of coffee or a glass of tea with us more often now.

Howdy Neighbor! Come on up and sit a spell!

P

What a good idea! THAT's the way to keep the neighborhood safe, and Southern!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Especially when the local law enforcement officers stop in. We're rural but couple of the guys that live out here,stop if they have time on their way to work and have coffee. Nothing like having sheriff deputy sitting on your porch to make the neighbors wonder what your up too....LOL

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

And what about the finger wave?? When you are driving down the country road and pass your neighbor in his pick up truck, he never lifts his hands from the steering wheel to wave. He only lifts his index finger and nods his head.
That's as good as a big hand wave. LOL

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

LOL Yeah, we get a lot of those around here, too!
And just "the nod"....

One of our city patrolmen drives down our street several times a day, too. Except he just stops out in the road for a quick chat and goes on about how he wished his wife did THEIR yard work! LOL His wife and I used to be roommates and ran around together a lot, so he remembers me when I was a single gal, and likes to tease me that he's going to tell DH some "dirt" on me... lol There have been times, too, in the summer, when I'd be out working by the porch light on "something that just couldn't wait" and shined his spotlight on me and hollered "what in Sam's hill are you doing out there? The skeeters are going to eat you up!"

Gail

This message was edited Feb 20, 2006 9:46 PM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh gardenergail,I surrender to your devine gardening goddess-ness. I can't garden around here after dusk. Skeeters are the size of buzzards and I would just be a husk of my former self after just three of the attacking me....two if I dropped 30lbs....LOL

P

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

LMAO that's too funny! Well, I didn't stay out as much after dark last year because of 'em. That virus they've got is too scary to risk catching.... what's it called? West Nile? I can't remember. When I did stay out, I had so much bug spray on me I probably risked contaminating myself with pesticide!! (LOL.... but that's not really funny). I try to spray it more on my clothes but in the summertime, I can't BREATHE with long pants and sleeves. But sometimes I'd start something on Saturday and just HAD to finish it so I could (hopefully) relax and enjoy it on Sunday. I think I'm truly obsessed.....
Gail
Oh, you want to see the canna garden I did in my back yard last year? (I just love to post pics!)
BEFORE PLANTING.......

Thumbnail by gardenergail
Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

AFTER PLANTING (about 3 months later). This is just one side....

Thumbnail by gardenergail

Gail, that's real nice! Makes me want summer more and more!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

gardengail,
That's just too neat!
I use to do landscaping and could pull together other folks yards but I have no ability to get mine pulled together. I call it "Plunket Gardens"...plunket it here,plunket there....just get it in the ground. Wanna come do my yard?*BSG*

P

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

LMAO.... that's the way I feel about myself! "plunket".... that's hilarious! I don't know what it was about that canna bed..... I had this rectangle that used to be a veggie garden (and that's just too much work! LOL), and I knew I wanted it to have paths through it. I had these loose landscape timbers and, well....

The tires stacked for the strawberry bed was supposed to look a little different, but my tires weren't exactly what I'd "imagined"... DH was nice enough to go get them and haul them home, so I went with it. Got the idea from someone on the "Garden Junk" forum on GW. I didn't want it exactly in the center so I off-set it toward one end and started laying the timbers around, trying to get a feel for what I wanted and it just kinda happened to fall together. I'd also just gotten about a dozen different canna varieties in a co-op with ButterflyChaser and couldn't figure out how I wanted to plant them, so I ended up planting different colors in different sections, so there's a "red" section, orange, yellow, pink, and then a fifth that will be mixed, but all it has in it, mostly, are daylilies that I haven't seen bloom yet. I'm anxious to see if I've lost any over the winter, since I DON'T dig stuff in the winter....

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

You do know that having planted "tars" in yer garden makes you an official "redneck",doncha?....LOL. Having cable spools in your yard/house for tables makes you a redneck too....I'm double whammied .... had hub's bring in two BIG ones I placed out in my nursery so folks could sit a spell,get a second wind and get back to the job of buying plants once they've re-coperated..LOL

Well,hope it's warm enough...gotta get back to the salt mines...greenhouses....trays and trays of lil green babies awaiting new pots.

P

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Gardnergirl. I bumped this up to tell you that a group of us are over on Dave's Garden Forum trying to get Dave to set us up a Canna Forum. If you have a minute please stop over and put in a good word for us.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580182/

This is my first year to grow Cannas.....I am so in love with them! Your Canna garden is awesome!!!! Mine will never be like that, but just having a few in pots is just wonderful. I would love to see more pictures.
Pati

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My favorite things about living in the south.
Folks are friendly. Even if they don't know you.
Most folks are real. What you see is what you get.
The taste of food is more important that the health aspect.
Elders are respected.
Family is important.
Pets are not optional.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Boy you hit the nail on the head, The south is friendly, loving, warm hearted.

kathy

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I love to travel but will always come home to the South. I love KYs hills and horses and its beautiful lakes and outdoors. Magnolias, Wildcat basketball, Friendly folks,... strangers are only people you haven't meet attitude. God being an important part of lives and not just a slang word.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Kentucky is a very beautiful state. I can certainly see why you are so proud to live there.

Greenback, TN

I know this is an old thread, but I justhave to post in it! I'm originally from Mobile Alabama and Tennessee is as far north as I will go! Why? Because:

Sunday dinners with the family
sweet tea
fried green tomatoes, okra, hush puppies (yum!)
Raw oysters, fresh shrimp and all manner of sea food (Mobile)
the sense of superstition that is steeped in the backwoods
fireflies
azaleas
sunsets over the Mobile Bay
Jubilee nights at the beaches

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

The Ole Miss VS. MSU Football Rivalry.

Ole Miss is the best!!! Hotty Toddy!

Starkville, MS

Everybody's "kin" to ya. Southerners have more "cousins, Aunts and Uncles" than anybody else in the world!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the bump... I just caught this thread and I love livin' in the south for the good, honest folks and the looonnnngg gardening season! Ain't life grand!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You said it all............

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Probably someone has already tyoed this but southern to me....

Chicken and Dumplins!!!!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

One thing I find dear to my heart but it seems to be fading away some. You pull your car over or if out on the street you stop , take your hat off as a hearse goes by. I hope I have taught my sons that life is never in too much of a hurry to show respect for the departed and their loved ones.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

this is still a ritual of respect in Texas.

Greenback, TN

in mississippi and alabama too, but sadly, you're right, it is fading away. I always stop.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tomato sandwich with Mayo? in hot summer months?

Greenback, TN

and snipe hunts!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

.... cause most people down here still love the good ole USA and celebrate Independence Day!!

Judy

Starkville, MS

Hay rides and a cookout with singing around the campfire after charring all the hotdogs and marshmallows you could eat.

Flying homemade kites from the rise over the meadow.

Sitting in the clover making chains with your best friends.

Coaling, AL(Zone 7b)

One of my favorite things about the South is how you can somtimes catch a great sermon on the sides of the backroads -- those handpainted signs with "Jesus Loves You" or some similar message on them, tacked to a tree. They always make me smile.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Amen.

Booneville, MS

People look you in the eye, smile, and say hello when you meet them on the street.

Terrye

You guys have made this a great thread!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.