Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Why Do Folks Love Living in the South?

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 174, Views: 1,373
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2006
9:07 PM

Post #2049410

Cheese grits.
You can put a license tag on anything, drive it down the road, and no one will stop you.
Sweet tea.
Barbecue.
It only takes one snowflake to create a statewide holiday.
Supermarkets have quaint names like Piggly-Wiggly and Winn-Dixie.
Children actually address adults using the epithets "sir" and "ma'am."
Police officers greet you by name when pulling you over for a traffic violation.
Crocus comes up before the last Christmas decorations are down.
Front porches.
Back porches.
Corn-on-the-cob.
We have our own way of tawkin'.
We have our own music.
Fried pies.
Plenty of elbow room.
At every get-together, there is always someone who can pick a guitar.
Vintage automobiles are given the respect they deserve.
Azaleas.
Fried okra.
Cornbread.
Farmer's markets.
Flea markets.
If you break down on the side of the road, someone will always stop to help you.
Soda pop brands have fun names like Sun-drop, Nehi, Grapico.
Children grow up bilingual, speaking both English & Southern.
Strangers say hello on the street and you say hello back.
Siestas on summer afternoons.
Butterbeans.
Fried catfish
Certain homemade beverages.
Folks know your mamma and daddy, and their mammas and daddies.
Pa-Paw's tomatoes.
Going barefoot in March.
Bluegrass festivals.
Nanner puddin'
Camellias blooming in February.
Volunteer fire departments.
Sawmill gravy.
Backyard gardens.
Homemade ice-cream.
Snow flurries on Thanksgiving.
Heat-waves on Thanksgiving.
Sunsets in November.
Family recipes.
Knowing someone will always hold the door for you.
We might fight, but we always make up.
Wild blackberries.
Children actually use the quaint expressions please and thank you.
Church suppers on the ground.
No part of a pig ever goes to waste.
People don't usually pass through - they come to stay.
Sycamores, dogwoods, live oaks, fig trees, sweet gums, crape myrtles and magnolias.
You can leave the south, but you'll always come back!
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2006
9:49 PM

Post #2049495

I agree with everything you said, but you forgot one important thing - people smile at you! Plus, people (not just guys) hold the door open for you if you are even a dozen steps away and you have nothing in your hands to prevent you from opening that same door. I wouldn't live anywhere else.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2049902

pins, I'm with you. I love it when someone does that for me, and I always look them in the eyes and say, "Thank you!"

That's what makes me a Southern Belle!!!
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2049963

Right on! I do the same.
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2006
3:22 AM

Post #2050356

Amen on the SWEET TEA!!! And a bunch of the other things you listed, too! And one of my favorite things... people wave at you when they drive by, even if they don't know you from Adam, and you wave back! I remember someone asking me one time "who was that?" and I said "I don't know" and they said "well what did you wave at them for?" and I said "they waved at me, so I waved back!"

Cotton Gins
Tractors
Trains blocking traffic...and you don't even care if you have to sit there and wait. Gives you time to think.
Gail
LulaLu
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2006
12:49 PM

Post #2050854

I lived in Michigan for 5 years. I was extra sad every March because I knew it was spring at home and it was still deep winter in Michigan.

We call our parents Mama and Daddy all our lives.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2006
10:41 AM

Post #2055269

I second...or third all the above and add one thing: year before last I set up two small kitchen tables out on the front porch(maybe some would call it a patio)..one under the roof for rainy days and one out in the open part for warm spring days. During spring and summer,first thing we do on the weekend mornings is take our coffee out and sit while the dogs romp in the side yard then have breakfast a little later. The first year,neighbors looked at us like we were crazy when we'd be out there eating our meals but ya know what?...I noticed several new outdoor dining rooms popping up on porches around the neighborhood last year. Lots of folks walking or driving by stop for a cup of coffee or a glass of tea with us more often now.

Howdy Neighbor! Come on up and sit a spell!

P
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2056275

What a good idea! THAT's the way to keep the neighborhood safe, and Southern!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2006
10:12 AM

Post #2057613

Especially when the local law enforcement officers stop in. We're rural but couple of the guys that live out here,stop if they have time on their way to work and have coffee. Nothing like having sheriff deputy sitting on your porch to make the neighbors wonder what your up too...LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #2059345

And what about the finger wave?? When you are driving down the country road and pass your neighbor in his pick up truck, he never lifts his hands from the steering wheel to wave. He only lifts his index finger and nods his head.
That's as good as a big hand wave. LOL
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2059666

LOL Yeah, we get a lot of those around here, too!
And just "the nod"...

One of our city patrolmen drives down our street several times a day, too. Except he just stops out in the road for a quick chat and goes on about how he wished his wife did THEIR yard work! LOL His wife and I used to be roommates and ran around together a lot, so he remembers me when I was a single gal, and likes to tease me that he's going to tell DH some "dirt" on me... lol There have been times, too, in the summer, when I'd be out working by the porch light on "something that just couldn't wait" and shined his spotlight on me and hollered "what in Sam's hill are you doing out there? The skeeters are going to eat you up!"

Gail

This message was edited Feb 20, 2006 9:46 PM
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2006
10:53 AM

Post #2060021

Oh gardenergail,I surrender to your devine gardening goddess-ness. I can't garden around here after dusk. Skeeters are the size of buzzards and I would just be a husk of my former self after just three of the attacking me...two if I dropped 30lbs...LOL

P
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2060094

LMAO that's too funny! Well, I didn't stay out as much after dark last year because of 'em. That virus they've got is too scary to risk catching... what's it called? West Nile? I can't remember. When I did stay out, I had so much bug spray on me I probably risked contaminating myself with pesticide!! (LOL... but that's not really funny). I try to spray it more on my clothes but in the summertime, I can't BREATHE with long pants and sleeves. But sometimes I'd start something on Saturday and just HAD to finish it so I could (hopefully) relax and enjoy it on Sunday. I think I'm truly obsessed...
Gail
Oh, you want to see the canna garden I did in my back yard last year? (I just love to post pics!)
BEFORE PLANTING...

Thumbnail by gardenergail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2006
12:12 PM

Post #2060095

AFTER PLANTING (about 3 months later). This is just one side...

Thumbnail by gardenergail

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2006
7:30 PM

Post #2060984

Gail, that's real nice! Makes me want summer more and more!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2006
10:35 AM

Post #2062753

gardengail,
That's just too neat!
I use to do landscaping and could pull together other folks yards but I have no ability to get mine pulled together. I call it "Plunket Gardens"...plunket it here,plunket there...just get it in the ground. Wanna come do my yard?*BSG*

P
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2006
4:53 AM

Post #2065000

LMAO... that's the way I feel about myself! "plunket"... that's hilarious! I don't know what it was about that canna bed... I had this rectangle that used to be a veggie garden (and that's just too much work! LOL), and I knew I wanted it to have paths through it. I had these loose landscape timbers and, well...

The tires stacked for the strawberry bed was supposed to look a little different, but my tires weren't exactly what I'd "imagined"... DH was nice enough to go get them and haul them home, so I went with it. Got the idea from someone on the "Garden Junk" forum on GW. I didn't want it exactly in the center so I off-set it toward one end and started laying the timbers around, trying to get a feel for what I wanted and it just kinda happened to fall together. I'd also just gotten about a dozen different canna varieties in a co-op with ButterflyChaser and couldn't figure out how I wanted to plant them, so I ended up planting different colors in different sections, so there's a "red" section, orange, yellow, pink, and then a fifth that will be mixed, but all it has in it, mostly, are daylilies that I haven't seen bloom yet. I'm anxious to see if I've lost any over the winter, since I DON'T dig stuff in the winter...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2065426

You do know that having planted "tars" in yer garden makes you an official "redneck",doncha?...LOL. Having cable spools in your yard/house for tables makes you a redneck too...I'm double whammied ... had hub's bring in two BIG ones I placed out in my nursery so folks could sit a spell,get a second wind and get back to the job of buying plants once they've re-coperated..LOL

Well,hope it's warm enough...gotta get back to the salt mines...greenhouses...trays and trays of lil green babies awaiting new pots.

P
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 15, 2006
1:50 PM

Post #2114103

Hi Gardnergirl. I bumped this up to tell you that a group of us are over on Dave's Garden Forum trying to get Dave to set us up a Canna Forum. If you have a minute please stop over and put in a good word for us.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580182/

This is my first year to grow Cannas...I am so in love with them! Your Canna garden is awesome!!!! Mine will never be like that, but just having a few in pots is just wonderful. I would love to see more pictures.
Pati
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2006
8:49 PM

Post #2160748

My favorite things about living in the south.
Folks are friendly. Even if they don't know you.
Most folks are real. What you see is what you get.
The taste of food is more important that the health aspect.
Elders are respected.
Family is important.
Pets are not optional.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2006
1:02 AM

Post #2161367

Boy you hit the nail on the head, The south is friendly, loving, warm hearted.

kathy
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2006
3:25 PM

Post #2168476

I love to travel but will always come home to the South. I love KYs hills and horses and its beautiful lakes and outdoors. Magnolias, Wildcat basketball, Friendly folks,... strangers are only people you haven't meet attitude. God being an important part of lives and not just a slang word.
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2168553

Kentucky is a very beautiful state. I can certainly see why you are so proud to live there.
tennesseetam
Greenback, TN

July 2, 2007
11:19 AM

Post #3684982

I know this is an old thread, but I justhave to post in it! I'm originally from Mobile Alabama and Tennessee is as far north as I will go! Why? Because:

Sunday dinners with the family
sweet tea
fried green tomatoes, okra, hush puppies (yum!)
Raw oysters, fresh shrimp and all manner of sea food (Mobile)
the sense of superstition that is steeped in the backwoods
fireflies
azaleas
sunsets over the Mobile Bay
Jubilee nights at the beaches
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2007
12:14 PM

Post #3685080

The Ole Miss VS. MSU Football Rivalry.

Ole Miss is the best!!! Hotty Toddy!
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 2, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3685096

Everybody's "kin" to ya. Southerners have more "cousins, Aunts and Uncles" than anybody else in the world!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3685424

Thanks for the bump... I just caught this thread and I love livin' in the south for the good, honest folks and the looonnnngg gardening season! Ain't life grand!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3685495

You said it all...
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3687819

Probably someone has already tyoed this but southern to me...

Chicken and Dumplins!!!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3688201

One thing I find dear to my heart but it seems to be fading away some. You pull your car over or if out on the street you stop , take your hat off as a hearse goes by. I hope I have taught my sons that life is never in too much of a hurry to show respect for the departed and their loved ones.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3688326

this is still a ritual of respect in Texas.
tennesseetam
Greenback, TN

July 3, 2007
9:53 AM

Post #3689260

in mississippi and alabama too, but sadly, you're right, it is fading away. I always stop.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3690053

Tomato sandwich with Mayo? in hot summer months?
tennesseetam
Greenback, TN

July 4, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #3693605

and snipe hunts!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #3693727

... cause most people down here still love the good ole USA and celebrate Independence Day!!

Judy
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 4, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3693812

Hay rides and a cookout with singing around the campfire after charring all the hotdogs and marshmallows you could eat.

Flying homemade kites from the rise over the meadow.

Sitting in the clover making chains with your best friends.
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3695589

One of my favorite things about the South is how you can somtimes catch a great sermon on the sides of the backroads -- those handpainted signs with "Jesus Loves You" or some similar message on them, tacked to a tree. They always make me smile.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3696122

Amen.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

July 5, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #3697769

People look you in the eye, smile, and say hello when you meet them on the street.

Terrye
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3750801

You guys have made this a great thread!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3750842

Southerners are quick to share, they'll offer you their extras from the vegetable garden or flower bed and never expect anything in return.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #3750936

Hey Pat we've been missing you
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3751260

Thanks, Cindy. I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger! And, my laptop is 'down' right now. I miss y'all, too!
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3752165

Had to insert a big HOWDY into this thread! I'm Texas born and raised, but live in a very small town in western Tennessee now and it feels really good!

Had to add a couple of local fav dishes to the list:

first is Slugburgers...(not made from slugs)...They are beef or pork with soybean meal added as a major filler and then deepfried and drained well..and served on a bun with pickles, mustard and onions..cheese is optional. They are tasty!!
The name comes from their origin back in depression days when they were sold for a nickel(slug/plug)...hence the name...Slug burger.

Another favorite is Chocolate gravy. This is awesome stuff and served with biscuits or pancakes or anything else you like chocolate on! If you can visualize a somewhat thinned chocolate pie filling...then you're close.

If you're anywhere near Corinth, MS or Pickwick Lake/Savannah area...they make both of these at most restaurants or just ask and someone will lead you in the right direction...(another benefit of southern living)..:)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3752415

wolflrv

Welcome to TN and the Mid-South Forum, stick around put in your 2 cents any time. There are some wonderful people here, whom I'm sure you will be proud to call friends.

We don't live too far apart!!! We shop in Corinth, MS and always go South for whatever we need. We'll have to arrange a Gathering for lunch in Corinth after it cools off and maybe you will be able to come. I hear Terrye is having a seed swap in January most likely and she just lives 20 miles or so South of Corinth.

Judy
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3752495

Hey Judy..:) Yep..we are close! We drive through Pocahontas sometimes on the way to Memphis if we go TN57 instead of US64...I love to drool over the old mansions in LaGrange. Would love to get together for lunch anytime...our fav restaurant in Corinth is the Chinese buffet there in the Wal-Mart parking lot. We used to head there almost every week, but since we finally got our Lowe's here in Savannah, haven't had to make the trip as much. There's also a good mexican restaurant in Selmer called Atzimba's.

Lemme know when folks are gathering...would love to come!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3752515

Did you notice that "savagegardener" who posted above is from Middleton, 5 miles west of Pocahontas. I still haven't met her yet, our paths just have not crossed.

Judy
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3752535

Hadn't noticed that...but it's all cool...I just joined the forum about 2 weeks ago...and have been reading like mad! Have been setting up some thread/forum watches so I can keep track of all this stuff! Looking forward to meeting lots of folks!
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3752576

I'm a transplanted southerner. I grew up in Los Angeles, but my mother and many, many, many generations before her were from eastern Tennessee. Mom reconnected with her family when I was a teenager, and she's now convinced I'm a genetic throwback living in the south and loving it. One of the first things I had to learn was the local dialect. It took me a while to realize that "might could", as in “We might could do that”, covered the range from "that's an excellent idea" to "there is no way on God's green earth we will ever do that." I used to find it frustrating, but now I find it useful. Barbeque is a verb in California meaning to cook anything on the grill. Little did I know it was a noun in the South and the subject of much heated debate. But, my favorite phrase which always causes my ears to perk up is, “Bless her heart”, because you know that is the opening salvo to some serious gossip!

Jenny
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 19, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3752640

Jenny - ya learnt real good!!!! Keep it up, ya'll'll be Southern yet!

And, yes, ya'll'll IS a word! ( At least down here it is! ) Bless yore heart!
ginni
edited cause I spelt a word wrong!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2007 7:52 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3752819

I love to live in the South, becuz I'm surrounded with all these great friends -- whom I've yet met...but, I'll, I'll.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 19, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3753038

You say there are other places to live????? Why would any one want to-here is PERFECT !!!
Sandra
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3754701

Louis Grizzard (southern writer) used to say:

"American by birth, Southern by the grace of God."

That says it for me too!!!
Pati
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #3754914

Pati, AMEN!!!
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 19, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3755313

Louis Grizzadr said a LOT of things that I agree with totally!!!!! Wonderful Southern Gentleman that I truely miss.

Yes, everyone jokes about the strange words we use 'down here' but they are all from the heart! Ya'll'll (you all will) just have to love us for who we are, 'cause we ain't gonna change! You are a beloved friend until you say different.

Thumbnail by tgif

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3755688

wolflrv, I have a friend in Singapore, and when she'd come to visit, sooner or later she'd start saying, 'Bless your heart!' It always puzzled me, but then I figured out she was hearing it so much, she was trying to make it hers. I guess she didn't hear that in Singapore much! It didn't sound right coming from her, but that didn't matter. So y'all'll know, some day we might have a Southern Singaporean in here with us!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
7:10 PM

Post #3755697

Pat,

That would be great!!!

Judy
palominasrose
Olivehill, TN

July 20, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3757623

Ive only been a Southerner for two and a half months. I love it here for all the reasons already mentioned, but you left one out
FISHING !!! I live to garden and fish. Im in hog heaven.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
5:08 AM

Post #3757705

palominasrose
Olivehill, TN

Welcome to the Mid-South Forum you will find many people here whom you will be glad to call friends.

Judy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3758059

Palominarose,
Welcome to our patch. Fishing, huh? Ah you've gotta visit us here. Though, I've to admit. Likes the old saying "beginner's luck" I've known nothing about fishing other than enjoy the tranquility of trying to do it. When I first started out. I caught some big fish (with hubby's help ofcourse). But since that *luck* wears off. I haven't caught a single one this year!
Not to give up hope. Though, I've recently discovered that there IS a Catalpa tree growing on our property. A few years down the road, I should have plenty of "fish-baits" to try my luck with fishing again.
Kim
p.s. BTW, any of us here have a mature Catalpa tree? Care to share your experience? I looked it up on various sources. It's said to have white orchid-like tubular flowers.
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3758124

Hey Palominarose...welcome to the South...:) You're really close by! Where do you hail from originally?
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3758344

Palominarose, welcome! I'm glad you've found us. Just relax and enjoy the ride. We have a lot of fun.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #3758495

Palominarose - Welcome to you!!
And Welcome to Tennessee. We are really glad to have you, my hubby l;oved fishing like I love plants , so you will always find fishing and Gardening buddies around here.

Lily_ Love- Ohhh, the Catalpa tree- The elusive Catalpa tree- Yes...

My DH, Max and I just transplanted a 4 foot tall one from the side of the road to our front pasture, just so he can have his fishing worms in the future. Plus I am now trying for the second time to germinate these from seeds. I started the first batch which Justfurkids gave me at our seed swap last January... I soaked in water and then planted in soilless mix.. nothing happened.. then I read on the seed germination forum to prick the center part of the seed with a pin and then soak in warm water till they begin to swell and then plant ... so now I am trying again. I think I may have some more seeds .. Would you like me to send them to you so you can try it?

BTW- The most beautiful and ENORMOUS Catalpa tree you will ever see is on the campus of Ole Miss where my son will be a freshman this fall. Definately pre- civil war, the trunk must be 15 feet in diameter- I bet. I am hoping to get more seeds when we go up there for the tailgating parties in the Grove for the home football games. The University Police will surely be more worried about the traffic,alcohol and underage drinking , than about some middleaged woman lurking around taking seedpods (or cuttings) LOL

Sharon
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3758518

Sharon, you're not middle aged... are you? You don't look like it!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3759028

Whooohooo, way to go Sharon! You're going to be a gold mine if you collect these seeds and share with us fellow gardeners throughout the States (wherever it's hardy). I thank you for being so generous to offer. I love trees especially unusual trees in the landscape. But unfortunately I'm running out of good location for trees. I too am learning a little more every day about propagating seeds. Past winter I tried a dozen of Japanese Pagoda tree's seeds. Two of them germinated, and I over watered one of them. 2:10 germination rate, net with 10% success . Arghhhh, if that qualifies for success. LOL.

Congrats on your Son's admission to Ole Miss. I remember the day we drove my daughter to UT in Austin. And her sister to GT. in Atlanta Those are days that you well remember, and laugh and cried with mixed emotion.

Best wishes, and happy gardening.
BTW; are you going to be at our LARU this Sept.? I'd love to meet you and many others that already planned to be there.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3759431

Sharon,

Isn't that a Catalpa tree on the property line of Crossroad Country Kitchen, on the South side of Hwy 57 in Middleton, TN??? I'm not familar with the Catalpas but when I saw it in bloom that is what I thought it was. If so there may be a seedling growing near by.

This is an interesting GardenWed Forum on Catalpa tree seed propagation as well as other information http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wtrsow/msg031250124010.html?15

Judy

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 12:37 PM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #3759444

FlowerLady,

I read your first post---to funny! Thanks for the smiles. :)
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3760489

you know...I live half an hour or less from oxford, and I work in oxford, but I have never been on the ol miss campus...not sure why...maybe Ill have to check out this tree.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3760661

Wow! Lookit all the new folks! Wonderful!

Wolflrv has changed my life forever with that
chocolate gravy!!

What kind of fishing, palominasrose? I was my
dad's 0-ficial boat paddler from the Everglades
to the Tetons. Just love being out in the water.
And have you landed in a garden
here, or are you now starting from scratch?
Fitsy
palominasrose
Olivehill, TN

July 21, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3761149

Thank yo all for the warm welcomes.
We moved here from Palominas,AZ. A friend moved from there to Nashville and couldnt quit raving about TN. A mutual friend and neighbor of ours there decided to move too and they are now in Clifton,TN. My Bud was heartbroken because their dad that lived with them was his best buddy.I told him to find a place closeby and we could spend Spring and Falls in TN.Much to my surprise, he did. Another friend of our neighbors, not to be left behind, now lives near Pickwick Lake.If it keeps up Palominas will be a ghost town!!

I fish right now for small mouth bass. I cant sit still long enough to fish for cat fish. Casting Im always moving around not sitting watching a bobber. I just heard that catfish cant pass up dead stinky night crawlers!!! Maybe so, but I had seven kids and Ive smelled enough dead worms and starfish to last me a lifetime.

Our new place here is in a Mennonite community and we love our neighbors dearly.

My flower passions are Brugs, hardy hibiscus, Altheas, cannas and add fancy leaf Caladiums. A little brite and overpowering but I love color.The new place has none. I start all over and ths better be the last start over because I dont have many start overs left-- Im about old as dirt now!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #3761168

Congratulation on your new move. Working on your new garden likes having a blank canvas to paint on. That's so exciting. Happy gardening, palominarose.
Kim
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3761347

Thanks ,Pat- I appreciate that.

Judy -Thanks for that link- Don't know about that tree - I will have to go pay attention and look at it sometime this weekend.

Lismil- Yes -you must look at that tree -it is right on the side of the student union- When you walk on that sidewalk and turn that corner and see... That tree.. I just stopped dead in my tracks with my mouth hanging open..in absolute awe...It has the branches that come way down toward the ground much as a Virginia live oak would .. but there is no mistaking those heart shaped leaves and long seedpods hanging down. If you work in Oxford and you love gardening .. you simply must see Ole Miss- They have won national awards several times for having the best landscaping on any university in the nation.. a real tribute to the great state of Mississippi. Did I mention that I went to college there too? ...Hotty Toddy

Kim- I hope to make it to the LARU. I tend to lurk too much and not talk enough... but I love you and Jeri's postings and I would really love to come. Are you in the addy exchange? I will send you some of those seeds.

Sharon
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3761364

Fitsy...glad to oblige ya on the chocolate gravy...:) It's awesome stuff!!

Palominarose...we are about 4 miles from Pickwick in the Nixon community...:) Have you had any of the Mennonite baked goods yet? Everyone around here orders them and they are great!
ellagarden
Palm Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #3761378

Can I praise the South even if I live in FLorida? I still make mean chicken and dumplings and sweet tea...We are hoping to move to Tennessee in a few more years when my hubby retires as all of my extended family is still up there, and his is in NC.
palominasrose
Olivehill, TN

July 21, 2007
6:14 AM

Post #3761485

We moved into a Mennonite bakers home. They moved to KY . LOTS of people were sad to see them go. Ill ask around and find out where we can buy bakery goods. Neighbors have been stopping by to introduce themselves and bringing goodies.Almost makes me want to start being more domesticated.Well someday. I prefer to spend all my time outdoors.
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3761684

Ellagarden...of course you can still praise the South!!! It gets in your soul...you can't help it!!

Palomina...I know the Mennonite baker's you're talking about...and yeah..they are very much missed! They ran a route and delivered fresh baked goods all over town. I lived with some Amish folks up in Pennsylvania for a few months, back in my younger years and helped out through a harvest season. It's still one of the most special things, I've ever done in my life, so I know whatcha mean about it getting to ya.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #3969419

Hi ya'll. Old post, but I have to sing our praises!

I came from a little town called Sheffield, AL.

floatin on a pontoon boat in the middle of the Tennessee River, tied up with all your friend's boats.

Swimming in cutoff blue jeans is still in fashion.

Town squares with one traffic light, a great little lunch spot and a dozen antique stores.

Antibellum Homes.

Cobbler and homemade ice cream.

Playin outside when we were kids until the sun went down.

Summer snow (cotton)

Sweet gum wars.

Hats still worn by ladies for that special wedding.

Mud ridin.

Highschool Football Friday and College Football, War Eagle!

Askin permission from your father for your hand in marriage.

Four wheelin

Your Granny is Granny to all your friends.

Crickets.

Clean air and wide open spaces.

Every girl can charm the dickens out of a boy WHILE she changes a tire.

Little girls in hats and gloves on Easter and little boys in suits.

I could go on forever. Just adding to the charm we have been blessed with.

Just as earlier posted, Lewis Grizzard was right,

Traci
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
5:22 AM

Post #3969464

Traci,

Welcome to the Mid-South Forum, I'm sure you will be right at home here.

Judy

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
5:29 AM

Post #3969473

Oh Gracious you are only 83 miles from Tupelo MS, where the Mid-South Fall RoundUp will take place on 10/6. Check out this thread and make plans to attend. You will meet some mighty nice people whom you will be proud to call "friend". http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/738205/

Judy
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #3969474

Thanks Judy, another great thing about the south, you ARE always at home! New to the forum and gardening. Adore everyone I have met here. Where is Pocatontas? That is what my daughter calls me because I have long dark hair and it is usually in a braid. She is 2 1/2 and wants us to be Pocahontas and Papoos for Halloween. The costumes just arrived!

Appreciate the welcome,
Traci
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
5:31 AM

Post #3969477

I am so new, Judy, I don't have anything for the round up. I love Tupelo and have been many times, however, I can't come empty handed.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

September 13, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #3969938

I will join in and say--YES YOU CAN--one of the round ups we had at Tupelo, we were dragging folks over that just stopped by to try and give away all the extra.
Check out the thread and make your plans to be at the round up and you will not leave empty handed. If you have any wishes, please post them, if we have any to share of what you want we will bring it.
Welcome
Sandra

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3970165

Traci,
Welcome to MSF, you can't miss out on this RU at Tupelo. You'll be glad you make it. There will be visit to the Bontanical Garden there, and more. Sandra, could you help me out on filling out other goodies for Traci?
Kim
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3970186

pssstt...sneaking here...a great thread...but don't y'all know we need to keep our secrets...lol...I don't want my neighbors any closer...lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

September 13, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3970208

The visit to the MBG is on Friday before the swap on Sat. I am not planning on attending that, but some are, Sharon will be there.
Memphis TN is about 2 and a half hours from Tupelo MS
The round up is at Tupelo on Sat. I will probably get to Tupelo around 10 am at the latest. It is at Elvis Presley Lake
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/738205/#new
her is the thread with the details.
Sandra
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3970851

Welcome Traci I've gotta a son that got his engineering degree and his masters at Auburn. It is a beautiful old school. War Eagle right back atcha. Please make yourself at home here at midsouth. I hope you will consider going us a Tupelo. If you like plants and like to visit ,you can't miss. RUs are for meeting new and old friends. The plants are just a byproduct. Cindy
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #3970990

Riverland,
Thank you. I am really considering it, just to meet new people and learn how to actually garden. lol. I realized I don't need to bring anything but myself and DH. I can gain a wealth of knowledge and friendships. That is where gardening starts.

I will talk to DH tonight.

Traci
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3975568

Traci, you need to come to the RU. I promise you'll feel like you've been with us before! And we'll fill up your car, as I believe I told you someplace else :)

See you in Tupelo, Traci!!!

Pat

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3976343

Maybe I can car pool with Traci? NOT, our race is up and coming. sob sob.
Kim
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3976362

Ah, Lily, you must be talking about Dega. Don't you have to drive thru B'ham to get there. Just have him drop you off at our house and you can ride with us.

That's right Lily, I talked to my DH and we are coming. My Birthday is the 4th, so I pulled that card. What do I need to do to register? I am really very excited. I don't have anyone here to talk gardens with. I will be with my own.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3976418

Traci,
I sure wish I could join in. But, it's a date that I've with hubby (at 'dega). Pat (Flowerlady), will help you with all the details. No registration, just find the group and join the fun. I'm actually out here nearby Pell City, so when you come back from the round up we can meet up and do some gardening together if you'd like. I belong to several gardening club here locally. I'd love to have you as our guest in the future. So keep in touch.
Kim
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3976501

Kim,
That would be WONDERFUL. I am originally from the Shoals area (Sheffield, Florence, Tuscumbia) and since the little one came along so soon when we moved, I don't know many people up here, much less those who understand the obsession. I will D-mail you with my numbers. Why wait till the round up. I know I sound anxious, but I really have no one to talk to about this and I could use some great ideas as I am so new. I didn't even realize we had roses, until the rain kicked them into bloom. That is sad.

My favorite flower, named "Teensy"

Thumbnail by pupilpropogtr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

September 15, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3976571

Oh Traci, what a sweet baby girl. that is also a great photo, one of those wonderful moments you have forever now.
Glad to know you are going to get to come to Tupelo.
We look forward to meeting you
Sandra
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3976592

She is precious ~ so peaceful but I would bet she can be a whirlwind! You will have a gardening pal in her in the future... pod

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3976635

That did it, I've got to teach Teensy how to raise Roses, brugmansias, and morning glories, and...a gazillion more flowers. lol.
Traci, Just so you know, I'm an older person. A grandma-wanna-be. I've lived here a long time. All my kids are off to colleges and on their own. My garden is a few years old. I used to live in Altadena Bend near by Inverness off of 280, Kids live there at present. Where are you in B'ham?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3976720

Awww Kim ~ I'm probably your age but you can adopt me... LOL pod
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #3976724

Lily, you are only as old as you feel. I, for some reason, doubt you are olderish with kids only in College (Dega bound). I waited until I was 30 to have Teens. Teensy, who is really Nathalie, but the nickname fits, is a charmer. I would definitely watch out as she will charm all the flowers out of your hands and into hers. She loves them and I am going to start her a little garden for the spring. She helps me currently with mine.

As for a Grandma want-to-be, Teens wants to be everybodies baby. After five minutes of assessing you, she will figure out your weakness and go for the jugular. She will act shy and then suddenly your are her best friend. Just a warning. Several of my DH friends are all uncles and aunts and they don't even come by to see us. It is Teensy they want to see. My mother has her this weekend as she was going through withdrawals. I have to schedule weekends to get her, between my Mother, My MIL, and my brother. Many times we just have to say NO!

I am in Hoover. We live behind the Toys R Us across the street from the Galleria in the strip mall. Pier One is there too. We just moved in May into our first house and I was garden smacked. I don't know how we managed to find this place and for the price too, but the yard is amazing. I immediately learned how wonderful dirt feels under your finger nails and how satisfying conquering a weed can be. I am very green but I am devoted. Of course I would pick the year of the drought of all droughts to start. We are on watering restrictions and many have perished. Mondays and Thursdays, for two hr only and no hoses or sprinklers. That is a lot of toting. Then no water from Thurs to Mon. We had no chance. All the sun plants I could salvage are in the shade area now and making it, but the 5' diameter hostas already her have browned and died. I do hope they come back. I have been dancing in the rain today. It felt wonderful.

Sandra, Thank you very much. It is one of many of my favs. Maybe because she is sleeping ;^). I was very hesitant about coming because I am so new to this. But a friend I have met on DG out in California, urged me to go. Now that I have decided to I am very excited and can't wait to meet ya'll.

Pod, she is more like a mini tornado. I am amazed everyday by what comes into that mind and out that little mouth. She will be three in November. I asked her a couple of days ago if her boo boo was alright. At first she said, "yes", but the she said "well actually it hurts". ACTUALLY? Pretty abstract concept to understand. It is something new and wonderful everyday. Here is my gardening pal. We are learning together.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3976733

You go girls! ; )))
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3976792

Ohhhhhh ... all that picture needs to be totally complete is a tiny Chihuahua puppy to go with Teensy.

I'm the PuppyGal of the Mid-South Forum, critters first then plants.

I'm so glad you decided to attend the RoundUp, you and your husband will enjoy yourselves. Unfortunately, I won't be there to meet you, we have puppies and they need 24x7 care.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2007
12:00 PM

Post #3977423

Traci I'm glad you can make it. Let me tell you a little about Kim. Beware! She has the energy of a tornado. Old lady I think not. Eat your wheaties before you meet up to garden with her. She makes me tired reading her post. She is also a wonderful person to call a friend. I do hope you hook up with her. She is extremely knowledgeable about any plant or garden situation.
Sweet baby girl too.
Cindy
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3977891

OHHHH Judy!!! New puppies...lots of sweet puppy breath. Baby bully faces are meant to be kissed!!
Pati
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3978929

Judy, I had to check to see if you were from GA, with those babies. They are darling, and if you need someone to take them off your hands, mine are open wide. They would make great pics with Teensy.

Riverland, love the name, I figured as much. I notice the ones who are always saying olderish, are either building a deck on their house or running 3 different parties and get togethers at once. I am on to them.

Traci
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #3979014

Pati - Good to see you over here posting!!!

Traci - you'll have to read Teensy the stories of Peanut Butter Cookie who at birth was the teensiest English Bulldog puppy ever. BigDaddy wrote the stories for 2 little boys who fell in love with Peanut, then we created a website so a couple of Headstart teachers could use the stories in their classroom. http://www.peanutbulldog.com

I'll give the "babies" a kiss for ya'll.

Judy
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3984598

I'm always a day late and a dollar short! LOL Glad I found this thread anyhow.
I'd have to say I agree with everything that everyone else has posted, but want to add college football season to the list. Go Georgia Bulldogs!!! Judy, those pups are just precious, don't think my cats would mind having a brother from another mother!!
My old school still has Labor Day BBQ's with an auction (this year was for a quilt), and antique car shows. Don't think I'd want to live anywhere else. The first time my hubby went back to my old hometown church, he couldn't believe how friendly the people were, even after I hadn't seen them in close to ten years. They are all like family and, in a way they are a part of a bigger family :)

Susan

Here's my 'Dawg' LOL!!

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3984637

WARRRR EAGLE - kinda sticks in the throat this year!
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3984678

Hahaha! You are too funny! I was born in Al (Montg) and lived there for the first 24 yrs of my life. I married a GA boy and it drives him batty for me to root for my Auburn! He was at work Sat. so I watched the game with my son and thought I had him steered in the right direction. LOL He found one of his baby pics where he was wearing an AU suit!
I think we are coming to Tuscaloosa Sat. for the game and my son will be at Grampa's (a diehard AU fan). Maybe he can sneak an orange hat in his suitcase. Haha.
There's something about those navy and orange uniforms that makes me feel 16 again! Shhh, don't tell hubby!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3990182

Traci, it's a loosely put together, very comfortable gathering. We all know to bring whatever we want to trade, be it flowers, seeds, cuttings, rootings, or yard art or crafts, or fertilizer, or anything, just anything.

Then we know to bring a new pot so everyone can sign it, and it becomes our souvenir of the Round Up. Also bring a 'dish' of some kind.

Watch the Mid-South Round Up/Tupelo threads and you'll see about how it's going to go.

The place we're going to be at is 'kinda' hard to find, but I found it, so I know you can, too. There's a lake, some swings, a pavilion, restrooms, picnic tables, etc., so it's in a good place.

and to be true to my son, RRRroooooLLLLLLLL TTIIIIDDDDDEEEE!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3990277

RoollllTideeeee! I'll then assign this red flowers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #3990324

& War Eagles!!! This? (So I can stay neutral). :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

zebraman
Venice, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3990377

Hey Flowrlady; What about catching "lightening bugs" in jars on a warm summer evening or Dilly Bars at DairyQueen?What I really miss are dyed,baby chickens at Easter for sale in Grocery stores!I know,I live in LA but I'm from N.Dallas.
I also own a couple of hundred acres in The Hill Country and will be moving there in a couple of years when I retire.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3991107

Wow ~ Dilly bars ~ hadn't thought of them in yars... lol Remember you might get a message on a Dilly bar stick for another free one? Or something? Maybe I am remembering right? lol
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007

Post #3991338

The younger generation when they are my age will be remembering Kool-Aid Pickles, another Mississippi first. lol lol
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

September 19, 2007
3:07 PM

Post #3992956

I know some of these jokes are older than the hills, but it's still funny. Got it from my daughter's FIL who's from New Orleans but retired to Picayune, MS where he files away his free time restoring an old car and playing in a blues band.

Southern living

Kentucky:
The owner of a golf course in Kentucky was confused about paying an invoice, so he
decided to ask his secretary for some mathematical help. He called her into his office and said, "You graduated from the University of Kentucky and I need some help. If I were to give you $20,000, minus 14%, how much would you take off?" The secretary thought a moment, and then replied, "Everything but my earrings."
You gotta love those Kentucky women.

Alabama:

A group of Alabama Friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day That night, one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck. "Where's Henry?" the others asked." Henry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful hunter replied. "You left Henry laying out there and carried the deer back?" they inquired. "A tough call," nodded the hunter. "But I figured no one is going to steal Henry!"

Louisiana:

A senior at Louisiana was overheard saying.. "When the end of the world comes, I hope to be in Louisiana." When asked why, he replied he'd rather be in Louisiana because everything happens in Louisiana 20 years later than in the rest of the civilized world.

Mississippi:

The young man from Mississippi came running into the store and said to his buddy, "Bubba, somebody just stole your pickup truck from the parking lot!" Bubba replied, "Did you see who it was?" The young man answered, "I couldn't tell, but I got the license number."

Tennessee:

A Tennessee State trooper pulled over a pickup on I-65.
The trooper asked, "Got any ID?"

The driver replied, "Bout whut?"

And My Favorite:

A man in North Carolina had a flat tire, pulled off on the side of the road, and proceeded to put a bouquet of flowers in front of the car and one behind it. Then he got back in the car to wait. A passerby studied the scene as he drove by and was so curious he turned around and went back. He asked the fellow what the problem was. The man replied, "I have a flat tire." The passerby asked, "But what's with the flowers?"
The man responded, "When you break down they tell you to put flares in the front and flares in the back. I never did understand it neither."

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3993175

ROFLMBO!!! That's a good one!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3993308

Where's Georgia and Florida? Well, Georgia, at least. Florida has become the north of the south.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3993338

Traci,
Have you decided yet, whether or not you're going to join the Tupelo's RU? I was just wondering, how is everything going your way?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007
4:54 PM

Post #3993371

I AM COMING!!! DH is also. Are you going? I am currently in SC meeting with my manager. I get to come home Friday. Everything is good, but I miss Teensy and DH. I will be glad to get home. How about you? Has it rained down there any?

Here you go! Darling Pie!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3993456

I wished I could, but no. I can't go. Besides, I'm running out of steams as far as finding places for new planting. Just finished with all the plants that I brought back from LARU (I think). lol.
No rain in the forecast, at least for another week or so. :(
You do travel on the job. How fun. My sis used to do that and she told me "Hilton Head" in SC is a must to see (or is that NC?) whether it's business trip or pleasure.
Teensy; she's a darling. She reminds me of my oldest daughter having to wear glasses when she was a tiny todd. lol. But, watch out, she read when she was in Kindergarden, and she's a few years younger than you today, but she's going places. :-)
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3993757

I just typed a long post, and somehow it disappeared. I hate it when that happens.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3993924

me too Pat.
Edited because I can only type two words a minute without a mistake not three.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2007 2:03 PM
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3994296

Oh my Gosh!!!)*(&#*&Y. I was replying back and the same thing happened to me, Pat. ARGHHHH!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

September 19, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3994402

There are gremlins in the works, I was reading about it on Daves forum the other day, happening to lots of folks and Dave can't figure it out.
Sandra

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3995096

ooooh no, are you serious? Some virus of some kind? Anyone noticed too, around 8'sh well about this time. The site's transmission is or will becoming more sluggish. The volume of traffics? What? gremlins possible. lol.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3995112

I personally like Gizmo. Such a cute little gremlin. I also use to love woodland creatures, squirrels, ground hogs, etc. Now, as I walk through my yard and step in a hole every ten feet, not so crazy about them anymore. When time to plant bulbs, it's WAR. Hot pepper, metal cages, steel wool, and (this is a biggie) I do own 9mm and 22 rifle. NOT that I would these...at first...but if I see a bulb in one little rat with tail's mouth, I may go over the edge with temporary insanity. Don't worry, I am a great shot and will not hurt the bulb.

Annie Oakley

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007

Post #3995219

Terrific! No doubt you'll fit right in girl. Keep that up, we'll enlist your help in our gardens. lol.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3995257

Always need to practice. repetition is the best way to become a good shot.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #3995429

Kim did you ever catch that raccoon? I have a big butted one that won't fit in my cage and the rate he is eating Spooky's cat food he's not loosing any weight!!! LOL!!! I may have to take Annie's method into consideration.

I'm not worried about the bulbs I gave up on them long ago. Too hot here for them. But if that raccoon goes near my pond I'm loading the gun and you can believe I'm a good shot also!!!!

Jeri

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3995451

Tehehehe,
I hope we didn't have a "real" racoon, Jeri, I saw a diller. And was hoping to trap it. But, in retrospec. I set out bait for something more exotic than 'diller. lol. Either way, no capture. So the cage got tossed back in the garage. lol.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #3995459

If you need some help, I would be happy to oblige. A year ago I would have called myself a monster, but play with my flowers is like playing with my emotions.

Annie get your gun

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3995506

Traci you're a true riot! lol. As you know housing developments are going around your area, right over to Helena, Chelsea, cross over to the Cahaba River, down along 280 coridors, back up to Inverness. Those poor wild life critters have no where to go but venture out into our residentials, plus our drought. I was hoping to trap then go far into the woods and release them. Hubby used to be a real runner. But we didn't even make our daily walk lately, so making a long walk into the wilderness to release those creatures safely is health-harzard for us at present. lol
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4020366

tomatofreak

Loved those jokes and you're right I've never heard of anyone retiring and moving North!!! lol lol

Judy
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

October 16, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #4088719

How many of ya'll have an Uncle Brother or an Aunt Sister? (for you new transplants reading this...no, I don't mean inbreeding!!!)

And is there ANYTHING in the world that can compare with SEC football?

Rammah Jammah Yellow Hammah, give 'em HELL , Alabama!!!!
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #4088733

Yeah, we go through withdrawals when the SEC season is over. NFL is just not the same to me. Georgia is off this weekend, so I'l be watching Auburn play :)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #4088810

And LSU!!!

savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4088985

don't forget , Ole Miss

Hotty Toddy, Go Rebels!!!!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #4089770

Bodageta, Bodadeta,
Rah, Rah, Rah.
Sisboomba.
Wegle, Welge,
War Darn Eagle.
Kick em in the butt
BIG BLUE! Hey.

Hottie, Toddy,
Gosh almighty,
Who the heck are we, Hey!
Flim flam Bim Bam,
Ole Miss, by D$%!

Ramma Jamma, Yellow Hamma,
Give Heck Alabama!

My fav is definitely the first.

WAAAAAAARRR EAGLE, HEY!!

Jeri, I was so upset for ya'll last weekend, This has been a crazy season, and LSU was
the SEC's chance for National Champ.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #4090373

If they had played ball maybe!!! We're on our way back up. We just went to #4. Not too bad. Of course, I'm sure the players have had a rought week from the coach!!!!! He wasn't happy!!!!

Jeri
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #4090710

This is a big weekend for my son(AU) and his wife(LSU). They are going down to watch the game with other grads. If the truth be know Josh usually pulls for LSU but this weekend several of his buds from Auburn are coming.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2007
8:49 AM

Post #4092049

OOOOHHH, BIG WEEKEND!! Sorry Jeri, but I gotta give a big ole WAR EAGLE. I have come to enjoy this matchup better than the 5 times in a row winner Auburn vs. Can't let The Bear die, paid so much for a coach many students had to drop out due to tuition hike Alabama. Well, almost as much. ;^)
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #4092343

It's funny that Alabama fans still think Bear Bryant is still alive, much like Elvis.
Both LSU and Auburn are good this year. Can't stand them sorry ole gators though!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #4092802

LOL!!! Bet you like the Bulldogs though!!!

Jeri
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4093197

Auburn has been disappointing this year, but most of both lines are true freshmen. The Florida game was awesome. I feel the same way about the Gators. Auburn vs. Georgia is alway an exciting one too. Hard to pic, but Alabama, LSU, and Georgia are definitely my favorite ones to watch. Long running rivalry there.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2007
4:28 PM

Post #4093252

Yes ma'am, Ga first, then Auburn, don't tell my hubby LOL
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4095477

Love this thread! cause Southern women have such real fire and spirit. And I just love the South anyway, would'nt want to be from anywhere else.

Loretta

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #4095529

Hi Loretta Lou !!! How is your week going?

I called Jim's Vascular Dr. yesterday and they had him scheduled for the stint 10/24 until I asked about the Cumadin and then they said they were cancelling the leg surgery until his heart gets straight. We go back to the heart Dr. Tue.

Jeri
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4095675

Ohhhh...good call! We would not want them cutting on him while he is on taking Cumadin. Man, it is scary sometimes, huh? Hope ya'll have good news on Tuesday.

It has been a fairly slow week or two at the office. I am waiting for all hell to break loose, cause I know this is not going to last. lol But I am getting caught up on the endless flood of paperwork. We have an audit next week and I have been looking at my case load, then checking it twice for anything that will be a problem. Apparently anyone that is conducting the audit has never actually had to keep up with all this stuff and think it is easy.

I still have a few things blooming in the garden but more to put to to bed before the first frost. I have faith though, hopefully will be good to go by Sunday.

Loretta

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4106909

Good Morning Traci!!!

Are you talking to me after last night? Our team really didn't play ball until the last quarter and how we won was a miracle.

Wonder what that did to our rankings?

Jeri
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #4107691

Jeri,
I did not watch much as I was afraid I would have a heart attack. Jason watched it, but we did not get home till the final quarter. After AU's opening season, I was proud of how well we did do. This is why I love the SEC. You never know, even with 3 seconds on the clock. The skill is amazing in our division and so is the coaching. Congrats to ya'll. I would love to know the standings. Are there any major teams that haven't been defeated? I don't think so. I am almost sad I have missed this season due to garden, as it has been so exciting. Does LSU play AL? That is one I WILL NOT miss. I could not believe the AL vs. TN game last night or the Vandy Vs. USC.

OF COURSE I AM STILL TALKING TO YOU. We may be rivals, but we are a family of the SEC!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #4108075

Yea!!! I'm so glad!!! We play Alabama Nov 3rd I think. That is always a good game.

I'll have to check and see if my poor dear uncle remembers our standing bet. We bet $1.00 every yr. I'm for LSU and he is for Ala. LOL!!! Thru the years I've paid him more than he's paid me.

Jeri

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4108092

Will be interesting with the new coach Alabama has!! Are you playing at home or in T'town?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #4108240

In Alabama. Their new coach was our old coach. Funny right!!!!

Jeri
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4108640

Exactly what I was talking about. When Tommy came to us, he had just left Ole Miss. We, unfortunately, lost to Ole miss that year, but Womped em ever since. It was quite embarrassing, though, because you knew everyone in Oxford was gloating that first year. Personally, and I could get in a lot of trouble for saying this, but I want ya'll to beat the snot out of them for several reasons. You still have a chance for the National champ., they paid too much for a college coach, and students had to drop out because of the tuition hike necessary to pay the coach. They are not a college, they are an NFL want to be and an embarrassed college for not being able to attract a single coach because of their lack of patience to have a winning team. Silly elephants, don't you know it takes four years to build up a team?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #4108732

and some times even longer. LOL!!!

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4108752

Agreed. I should have said at least four years!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4108778

Where are your pictures? You know we want more.

Jeri
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4108815

What pics? Did I post something I forgot to do. I would not in the least be surprised.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #4108821

No I just figured you had taken some too.

Jeri
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4109003

*sigh*, My camera was the company's. I had to turn it in. I have another around here somewhere but I have to find it. It is killing me as I have sooo many things I need to take pics of.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
12:34 PM

Post #4109895

I was almost in tears when AU lost Sat night :(
what exactly is a 'roll tide'? LOL Here's a pic from a night I won't forget. We don't plan on going back to Tuscaloosa any time soon. Looooong roadtrip!

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #4109901

This is too funny!lol

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
11:15 AM

Post #4319043

I've just been reading up this thread, and I can't believe what I had read. Premonitions Pat? (FlowrLady)
In one of your above postings, you wrote: "So y'all'll know, some day we might have a Southern Singaporean in here with us!"
Well, I'll be...!! That's me Pat!!! Born in Singapore...A resident in Louisiana for 27 years before moving here, 5 years now in NC! A devout LSU fan. Geauxxxxxxxxxxxx Tigerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!!!
I'm a Southern Baptist...how more "Southern" can you get than that? Lolol!
Bless your heart...
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #4319067

Ok, I bet one day we have an ex Austrian, current citizen of Madagascar, with a southern accent.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
12:02 PM

Post #4319078

Traci, and he/she loves collard greens!!!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #4319093

and grits.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #4319583

Traci, I never lived in Madagascar, but does Cairo, Egypt counts?
Love the South!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4319673

Nope, must be Madagascar and you must be an ex Austrian. Sorry.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
4:48 PM

Post #4319676

OMG! Why have I never seen this thread before??! Tried explaining grits to a co-worker from Sweden after his quite disparaging remarks...My reply...some things are a great excuse to eat butter and salt, get over it, LOL!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #4319783

The funny thing is I was going to use a Swede instead of Austrian, but Could not figure out if you can garden on ice.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #4319794

Lololol...you are a hoot Traci!!!! Next thing you'd be attempting is ice sculpture!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #4319803

nobody mentioned *fixin to* is one word and we know what it means!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #4319824

..and how about "cut"? Like switching off the lights!
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #4319901

How about 'carrying' someone to the store?! using your car, not your back!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4320688

Darn tootin' tggfisk!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4430481

bump
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4430756

Heavenscape, I've been to Singapore twice... and it got in my blood. I love it there.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM
Hardy Kiwi djballington 11 Dec 5, 2007 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America