-
AuthorContent
MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:29 AM

Post #2052867

Hardly anybody does it anymore now that machine embroidery is so popular.

I prefer to do it by hand.

This is a Xmas dress I made for my granddaughter

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:30 AM

Post #2052868

Next step

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:30 AM

Post #2052869

more

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:31 AM

Post #2052871

further along

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:31 AM

Post #2052872

getting closer

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:32 AM

Post #2052873

Almost finished

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:32 AM

Post #2052874

finished dress

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
5:34 AM

Post #2052876

I am starting a new project now, I am hand embroidering a queen sized duvet cover on dupioni silk, I am anxious to get started, I think it is going to be awesome.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2053946

Pretty little dress. Isn't it fun to be a grandmother?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2006
4:13 PM

Post #2075154

That is absolutely gorgeous, MaryinLa!!! I love cross-stitching (although my eyes hate it :-( ), but I've never done any embroidery. I have a couple of pieces of fabric with embroidery patterns stamped on them that I suspect my mother-in-law was planning on turning into pillows. I would love to do them, but I'm afraid of messing them up. Do you use DMC floss to do embroidery, like cross-stitch, or do you use a different kind of thread? I have tons of floss... Any suggestions would be very welcome!!
MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2006
4:15 AM

Post #2076612

DMC is exactly what I use. And the number of strands depends upon the stitch you are using and how fine the detail is.
A general rule is 3 strands, but some smaller work requires only 2 or 1.
cleodog
Gretna, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2006
11:03 PM

Post #2860095

Your little dress and embroidery are lovely. I, too, love embroidery and do lots of it. I take classes from different teachers who teach for the Smocking Arts Guild of America..
I try to have an ongoing project. Right now I am working on a piece of linen that will be put on top of an sewing basket. Will try to post picture when finished.
enya_34
Madison, WI

November 17, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #2922646

I just wanted to say what a superb job you did for your granddaughter.
One of a kind beautiful timeless heirloom quality dress!

My grandma used to do a lot and taught me different stitching techniques
when I was little. I used to play with her embroidery box as it was a magic
rainbow of color. Hand embroidery is so hard to come by now, and
I don't have time do it right now but maybe when my son is bigger and
I have more time. I do make little flowers on the lavender and calendular
herb sachetts by hand.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6345249

Nicely done!

an instant heirloom ;0)

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6345567

I used to embridor. I also smocked some dresses when DD was little. To bad all this seems to be a dying art. I love the dress.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6382085

That dress should go into your grand daughter's Hope chest. It is surely a keeper to hand down to the next little daughter or grand daughter. It is gorgeous. I love antique christening gowns and this one will someday be right up there. Gee, do girls still have hope chests?
Very nice work. Love it.
Jan

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 11:12 AM
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6382598

What a treasure. You do beautiful work. I don't do much hand embroidery since I got my embroidery machine but I remember the work that goes into it!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6384429

Very nice, Mary, I still hand embroider and so does my sister. We have fond memories of Mom doing the same and teaching us.
morningglorie
Youngstown, NY

April 14, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6408784

Your dress is beautiful. Is it from Martha Pellon? I love her work but neve have done any.
I also love to do hand embroidery even though i have 2 embroidery machines. Like someone else said it is something my mom taught me years ago.
Your granddaughter will sure treasue this beautiful dress.
MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6419011

Thanks everybody for your kind words, this dress was made three years ago. It was a Wendy Schoen pattern, if I remember correctly. I don't think the pattern was intended specifically for a christmas dress, but I loved the pattern itself,

http://www.wendyschoendesign.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PP-Alice&Category_Code=PP

I made it in handkerchief linen, it really did turn out nice.

MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6419017

This is the christmas dress I made for her the next year, no embroidery, but made her a doll to match

Thumbnail by MaryinLa

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6422090

Oh my gosh, that is another beauty. It reminds me of the time my mother made red and white gingham checked dress and white pinifores for me and all my dolls. Then she made a red checked skirt for my dresser and curtains. I was sick with the measles and she did all this while I was sleeping. Not all the sewing but the decorating. She must have gotten a great deal on the red and white gingham checked fabric.
Your sewing is beautiful. You have a very lucky granddaughter.
Jan
jmp24
Medford, NJ

May 5, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6506992

Oh my goodness, how beautiful! Definitely a treasure that they will save forever! My grandmother did this, when I was little she would put a square of cloth into - what are they called? The round or oval things you stretch the fabric in so you can work on it - ?? and she would draw something on it with little x's for me to embroider. I also have a few pieces made by my greatgrandmother in the late 1800's, when very young girls where expected to embroider! My most treasured piece is a pillowcase with a 9 x 10" square of beautiful ivory embroider of flowers and flourishes, with her initials GM (Geslina Montenegro) in the middle. It isn't made up of x's, though, just dozens of different types of stitches. There is a small tear in it, but it can be fixed easily. One of these days I would like to get it cut away from the pillowcase and framed.

You are right, this is not done enough anymore! I hope you are teaching some of the younger ones in your family, maybe they will pick it up and pass it on.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6507234

You're thinking of embriodery hoops. I think I still have one or two. The dresses look great.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6507325

The little x's are cross stitch that is done alot now. I do it almost everyday if I am not beading gourds or have nothing else that needs doing. It is my way of relaxing. Heheh
Jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM
christening gown Joannaz 6 May 1, 2007 1:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America