Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: Look at my daffodils!

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 37, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2053200

Thursday we were 75 degrees and sunshine. Today we have reached our high of 18 degrees. It has snowed all night and is still snowing!

Thumbnail by chicochi3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2006
1:26 PM

Post #2053210

And of course my dog has to always go out for his morning romp.

Thumbnail by chicochi3

babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2006
1:29 PM

Post #2053216

Yes, isn't this crazy weather?! We have an inch of snow and it is now falling gently again...expecting another 2" tonite! Hurry up, old man winter, and get it over with...us gardeners are anxious for spring! :)
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2053792

What a cute dog! My new puppy is 4 1/2 months old and she is having a blast playing in the snow. This is the 2nd snow we've gotten since I got her a month and a half ago. She is a real cutie pie and already weighs in at 25 lbs. Half shephard and half black lab... gonna be a large dog! I adopted her from a local shelter, where'd I'd seen her pic on their website and she was SO adorable... her pic just spoke to me... "come bring me home!"

So sad about your daffs! I don't have any or I'd be in the same boat. We got freezing rain and then snow, so the roads are pretty bad right now and it's not supposed to warm up enough to melt until next week. Glad I've got a full pantry and freezer! I think I'm fixing to make a big pot of chicken & noodles... that sounds really good to me right now!
Gail
Here's the pic of my puppy I got from the website...

Thumbnail by gardenergail

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2006
12:36 AM

Post #2054620

my crocus under snow to..
admodeva
Dutton, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2006
9:12 AM

Post #2055233

I saw my first daffodils of the year blooming today, I'm such a wimp about cold weather I didn't go out for a pic. So glad spring is nearly here. Very cute puppy!!
Marianinark
Compton, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2055565

Our yard is snow covered and more is falling as I type. It is coming thick and heavy!
I am thankful that we have 5 inches of snow to protect the crocus (which were already in bloom), and the daffodil's buds.
I am also very thankful that our drought appears to be broken.
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2006
12:55 AM

Post #2056975

My word, gail, she is the best of both, absolutely precious. I'm a Golden breeder but I've always loved mixed breeds...she is a doll!!
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2059678

Thanks, I just couldn't resist that sweet face! She is a good puppy, too, for the most part... although she is teething and you know how that goes! And, GOSH, those milk teeth are sharp! She has already grown SO much, just in the few weeks I've had her. I need to take some more pics while she's still little, 'cause that won't last long!

I had a Gold. Ret. once, although I don't know if he was "full blooded". His hair was the exact same color as mine... red... and that was his name. He was my first really GREAT dog! He just came up to our house and decided to stay.

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2006
2:53 AM

Post #2062029

Gail, Goldens are the world's most wonderful dogs, they are human like and it's impossible not to fall in love with them. I always wanted red hair, I have two grands that are red haired, they look like child stars, hair to die for!!
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2006
4:59 AM

Post #2065002

I've grown to love mine, as an adult, although my childhood was a different story. And looking at pics of when I was young, it was a rusty orange color and I tan pretty well, so it was a nice coloring. As I've gotten older, it's getting darker and now looks more like a reddish brown. I don't like to "color" my hair, but I have been known to "highlight" it a little, trying to lighten it back up like it was when I was younger.
Gail
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2006
8:47 PM

Post #2068590

Cute puppies!!! I'll have to take pictures of my weenie dog, PeeWee, for you. You won't find him out in the snow!! He walks to the edge of the porch, steps under the azaleas, let's it go, and comes ---straight back--- in. Cold and wet is not his bag!!!
Marianinark
Compton, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2006
9:09 PM

Post #2068655

Chicochi, did your daffodils survive our cold and snow?
My crocus are perking back up now that the snow is gone, and the daffodil buds feel solid, so I am hoping they weren't blasted. The Flowering Quince was not so fortunate . It was covered with opening blossoms before the deep freeze. They are all toast now! Just brown globs! :-(
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2068669

Daffodils don't mind such weather. They make it ok and so do the crocus. Mine don't even look the least bit hurt from the latest covering of ice and snow. They are tough plants. My sedum wasn't phased by it either.
chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2006
9:33 PM

Post #2068725

The daffodils are fine. Apparently, they can be frozen for later use! :=) My flowering quince also suffered. The flowers have all turned brown. Very sad.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2069230

We got mostly ice just a little bit of snow. The daffodils are really begining to bloom. Lots of little things starting to come up. My Pussy willow is in full bloom (I guess that is what you call it when they are fuzzy. LOL) I even saw honey bees on the pussy willow today.

We are finally on the downhill side of winter. YEA!!!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
4:38 AM

Post #2069733

My flowers were completely submerged in snow when the ice covered them. We didn' t get much snow but the snow we did get stayed there in that area because the sun never did hit it to thaw it before the ice covered it.

Honey bees!!!!! I would have been thrilled to see them. Yep! Spring can't be far away! Hoorah!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #4160952

cant wait for the snow...
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #4160963

I'm not ready for it yet. We still haven't received our first freeze, or frost!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #4161085

I'm not ready for it either, not for at least another 3 weeks... then it can do what it wants!!!! We haven't had a good frost either yet...
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #4161135

Three weeks is about right... gives me time to plant the bulbs that need to go in now.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #4161146

You planting daffs etc???????????????????

I got a catalogue the other day for spring bulbs... my they have some beautiful double daffs now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4161154

There was a co-op not too long ago, and I got in on it. My yard is gonna be colorful at the first of spring next year!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #4161159

awwwwwwwwwwwwww... hope you post some photos then???????????

Did you get some allium?????????????
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #4161171

No allium for me. Allium is very pretty, though.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4161183

I am getting some of the hairy allium... love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you get new bulbs every year or just leave the old ones in the ground????????????
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4161191

Tulips will not live in my climate, but the hyacinths, jonquils, daffodils, etc., come back for me, happily, every year. I've just been adding to what I have. The more the merrier!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4161226

Tulips are a pain most of the time anyway... the first year they all flower, then the next year hardly any... so I find that I have to replace them with new ones every year!!!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #4163614

That's because of your zone. It's too hot for tulips. Same with mine, 7b.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #4163625

Really????????????????
I never know that... well you live and learn i guess!!!!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #4163670

The tulips need a certain amount of time below freezing in order to set flowers for the next year. In your and my zone, that's not possible. When I first moved to my new house, I planted Many tulips. They bloomed beautifully the first year, and a few of them looked puny the 2nd year. After that, no tulips!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #4163687

In my back yard, tulips come back for years. In the sunny front yard, 2 years max. I've given up on them in the front yard. I guess I have microclimates.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4163719

Flwrlady
Thats exactly what happened to mine... thats why i now buy new every year!!

cathy4... wow, how strange... you must have one heck of a yard to have microclimates.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #4163772

Nope, just 1/3 of an acre, but the front and the back are like night and day when it comes to ground temperature. Front is the first place to melt after snow, back is the last place. Front bakes in the afternoon sun, some winters I've had tender plants survive in the front up against the house where they are protected from the wind. The temperature difference is amazing. There is a good months difference in when the spring bulbs bloom.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #4163794

wow...

That is weird... pleased i don't have that problem here!!!!!!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #4163808

That sounds like a 'nice' problem to have. That way, the length of your blooms is prolonged.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #4163835

It is nice when it is planting time, too. I can finish up in the front before the back is warmed up. I'm getting to where I can't do as much at ground level, so spreading it out helps. I'm changing the front over to low maintenance, just a few places will have annuals.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #4163890

I have changed my 'method' over time. When my yard was new, I planted a lot of stuff because there was so much space. Now, everything has matured and I don't need to (get to) plant as much. I, too, have a lot more low maintenance, and I'm glad for that.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM
Hardy Kiwi djballington 11 Dec 5, 2007 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America