Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Glad I'm not a chicken today !!!!! Brrrrr.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2054571

Jeepers !!!!! It was 9 degrees here this morning with the wind gusting up to 20 mph. Brutally cold.
I went out to check on my chickens and of course their water was frozen and they were all huddled together inside their henhouse, looking miserable. It's not too abnormal to have a little bit of that low of temps for a short time each winter here. But I can't remember having such wind with it.!!! Usually if we get those low of temps, they only last a couple days and then back up again. I hope this is short lived, but more snow is on it's way. Poor chickens.
I made sure their heat light was on and added extra straw to nests. I sure hate to see them so cold.
They may be more cold hardy than I think, but it looked like my rooster's comb and wattles were darker than normal. I hope it's not frostbite. :((
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2054674

Horseshoe recommends boiling a big batch of potatoes (after skinning them), letting them cool, and giving them to the chickens when the weather's cold. I do that or warm oatmeal.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2006
2:54 AM

Post #2054880

hmmm, it got down to 12 last night. the guineas water was mostly frozen this morning, but they didn't complain too much. at least their house is draft free. i just give mine some extra corn chops to keep them warm at night. but potatoes isn't such a bad idea, oatmeal sounds REALLy yummy!
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2055671

DH thinks I'm nuts. I bake "special" treats for our little poodle, healthy little doggie cookies made with stuff that's good for him. I even cut them with a little cookie cutter shaped like a bone LOL.
Now I'm headed to the kitchen to cook for the chickens. :D Wonder what he's going to say about that ? :D
I used to spoil my kids. Now that they're grown and moved away, I spoil my pets. Funny what an "empty nest" does to ya. lol
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2006
12:07 AM

Post #2056852

you know, any left over salds you have [without dressing], finely chopped, makes a swell treat for your poultry. and i have a windowbox i previously grew mums in. i will be palting turkey wheat in it, and taking it to the guineas when it is tall enough!
Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2057077

Re: the frozen water issue - I always had two 5-gallon waterers for my chickens. I kept one inside the house thawing, they had the other one, & I'd switch them so that they always had water.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America