Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Field Trips

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 61, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2055632

I would like to start a field trip topic for those, who are interested in visiting garden places, free or next to free are the best! I would like to start off with 2 possible contenders as things to do in the upcoming spring:

#1)Raleigh, NC Farmer's Market

Main Page with Pic:
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/facilit/farmark/raleigh/
-sorry, no pets allowed in the area of items for sale.
- they have regional farmer markets as well i.e. Charolotte, Ashville, etc

Calender of Event Schedule by Month:
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/facilit/farmark/raleigh/promos.htm
- They have an upcoming Craft Show from Friday-Sunday in March. Good time to shop for plants and do stuff.

Produce Availability Chart:
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/chart.htm
-for those who love cooking.

#2) Okay, this is for those who live locally in the NC-Piedmont area and who love farm produce. Anyone interested in going to the 11th Annual Piedmont Farm Tour on April 22 & 23, 2006? I went to the 4th annual one way back, and loved visiting all those farms, tasting goat cheese, seeing the farm animals, talking to the honey guy, and all the farm veggies and flowers for sale. Pretty cool stuff to do. Anyway, if anyone is interested, you can buy the buttons in advance, if not I think it's like $25/car for a button to see all 30 farms or $5/farm. Here's the info below:

http://carolinafarmstewards.org/
Piedmont Farm Tour
April 22 & 23, 2006
Orange, Chatham & Surrounding Counties

Last Year's 2005 Tour Info - give you an idea of what it's all about:
http://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/calendar/PFTgeneralinfo.html

I have cabin fever. Can't wait till the weather gets nicer!!!
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #2058246

I like the idea of the Farmer's Market during the craft show. Also in April, the events calendar had a home garden show I think.

What do others think they would like to do. Anyone interesting in joining in?

Swoz
chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
1:11 AM

Post #2059428

I'm up for meeting at the Farmer's Market just about anytime as long as the nurseries have set up shop.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
1:35 AM

Post #2059487

Let's plant to meet for an outing then at the Farmer's Market? what is everyone's availability?
I know I will be able to go that Sunday March 19th, they open at 9am.

Chamthy - I was just hooked on the Farmer's Market last year. I pretty much found alot of plants that were under $10 and $5 range that were in very good health, size, and superceded the variety of what is in the homeimprovement places I usually go to. My thinking is if I can visit once a month and buy one plant a visit, I will have a pretty good sized start of plants to propagate from.
coralbean
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2006
10:12 AM

Post #2059999

I've been wanting to see the Park Seed Demonstration Garden in Greenwood, SC. Anyone been there? Another really cool trip would be to Bishopville, SC to see Mr. Pearl Fryar's(sp?) incredible topiary creations.That's been on my list for a while now.
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2060132

Rebecca,

Would your schedule allow a Saturday outing? I normally have church activities going on Sunday. If the group needed a Sunday outing I would attempt to arrange my activities accordingly. I was wondering about the prices over there and glad to see that you posted the ranges. Thanks..

Let's see what others think..

Swoz
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2006
5:36 PM

Post #2060790

The Raleigh Farmers' Mkt is one of my favorite places to go! (And keep in mind, I sell at our local Farmers' mkt and what do I do for fun?...go to another farmers' mkt! Go figger, eh?)

Swoz, the prices in Raleigh are very good. Plus, not only are there wonderful selections of veggies and plants but also fruit, baked goods, etc. They even have a fresh seafood store as well as a fresh meat building. (Yummy! Ever had a "Tom Thumb" sausage, boiled up in water with some greens being cooked in the same water!? Zowie!)

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2060853

Shoe ya know - I was kinda lookin forward to this trip before - but you said the majic word... seafood! Nope never had a tom thumb sausage - but I have had boudin.. Ask Lisa bout that stuff...

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #2061625

Okay since I am not there, everyone has to take pictures and share so I can feel as though I am not left out. I really had a hard time convincing myself to get on that plane. I cried a bit when I was pulling out of the drive to head to the airport. Gosh January seems so far away...

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2006
3:30 AM

Post #2062396

Carat - ok - we'll take pictures on a condition... When you're over here again - let us know when you're coming - and plan a day that we can all meet at the Farmer's Market... Hang in there girl - January is coming fast with the way time's a flyin..

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2006
5:18 AM

Post #2062576

CARAT, one day I'm gonna meet you and your hubby. Heck, I might even come down your SC way and leave barefoot prints in your garden (and in the process help ya get some things done maybe, eh?). Personally, I hope you make a few trips to your SC home within the next year, even tho it is for visits. (I assume you mean you're MOVING there next January? If so, reckon you better come for visits long before that!)

Swoz..yep, you best get over there! SEAFOOD! And the Tom Thumb is wunnerful (only place I know to get it). Hopefully, if time allows, I can meet all ya'll there sometime.
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2006
12:31 PM

Post #2062912

Shoe,

Are youi selling at Hillsboro FM this year? If so - what are your hours over there/ location info..
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2063494

I may be there...am considering a bigger mkt this year. Haven't made up my mind yet.

rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2006
12:32 AM

Post #2064362

Hey Swoz,

Pretty much Sundays are the only day I can do outings on unfortunately. I know most people do things on Saturday, I look at it this way, if most can only go on Saturday, that's fine. If anyone would like to go on Sundays, heah, I can meet anyone who likes Sundays, even if I am the only one who ends up going on a Sunday, no biggie for me, I know I am always the odd ball when it comes to outings. So if Saturday works, that's cool. And If anyone planning to go Sunday, you betcha I'll be there! :) No problem, hehe 2 days to go. :)

Shoe- so you may be at the Hillsborough FM? Cool, maybe I can stop by on a Sunday if they're open. :)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2006
3:46 AM

Post #2064896

Nope...won't see me there on Sunday, rebecca!

The Hillsboro Mkt is on Saturdays, usually from 8-12 (although, when I go I'm there from 7 to around 1). Early in the season there are only about 5-7 vendors but as things get going we have about 30-35 vendors; we usually shut down around first frost.

Although I've been going there for years I may consider trying out a bigger mkt this year, if not on Saturdays then perhaps sometime during the weekdays, mid-week.

(Ah yes...tonite, Tom Thumb sausage for supper, with taters and gravy, pinto beans/corn. Yumm...ain't nuttin' like it!) :>)

chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2006
11:41 AM

Post #2065248

Sundays are okay with me Rebecca.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2006
12:35 AM

Post #2066758

Well when I get there I will be available on some Sundays so Rebecca we can meet up on one of those.

Shoe, I just got home from a visit last weekend, got the whole field planted, also had enough extra seed to throw some in the yard area outside of the pastures. I am hoping for the week before Easter to be the next trip down. I will have to see how the finances are then. I am having to save to be able to take off the month of July, and pay for the drive there to bring a load. Then after July I am aiming for another quick trip to winterize somewhere in October.

Where exactly is the HIllsboro FM? And I mean other then in Hillsboro. My best friend is dying to go to one and I want to send her to one that she will enjoy since it will be her first and I will need her to really like it so I can drag her to others.

Casey

Hey all go check out my natural spring on this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/554563/
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2006
1:28 AM

Post #2066863

Chamthy and CARAT - cool, sounds good.

I am under the weather tonight, feel kinds sickish ickish and I feel a strep throat kinda cough coming on, great... I think I will skip my planting plans this weekend.

Rebecca30
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2006
2:25 AM

Post #2066976

Casey, Hillsboro would be quite a drive from your SC place!

However, I'm sure there are some mighty fine Farmers' Mkts near you...and who knows, perhaps one day YOU will be selling excess produce, flowers, etc at one! Ya never know!

Love the spring! Growing up in the mtns we had a spring that provided us with all our water and also let us store milk (and watermelons!) in it, keeping them cool!
diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2067558

i'd give anything for a spring house.
my grandmother's was stone - like a huge
walk-in cooler.

sundays are great for me, by the way :)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2069249

Carat, you will not be far from the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens, they are a just a little west of Charlotte. I love to go there whenever I am in that area. http://www.dsbg.org/index.php
You can get lots of ideas for plants that will do will at your new home there.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #2070499

Well Shoe just to keep you on your toes, I went to Park Seeds a three hour drive away for an afternoon drive on one of my trips. So you never know if I might just pop in on you...

I passed the sign for David Stowe Botanical Gardens on my way to Charlotte by way of Gastonia on this late trip. My youngest son gave me the "OH mom its my vacation too" look so I just jotted down the name. I cant wait to go in there hopefully in April...

Casey

Anyone here know what this bush is??

Thumbnail by CARAT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2006
9:11 PM

Post #2071203

it looks like a japanese quince.
a nice one, too :)
marsha
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2006
7:01 AM

Post #2078778

Wow. This all sounds great. I would like to meet up with you guys on one of your outings. Just let me know when and I'll try to make sure that I show up with my DH. If I tell him we are going to look at plants he will not be overly interested, but if I tell him we are going to get some "food" he will be out the door as fas as he can. I guess you can tell that he likes to eat. LOL Anyway, I really would love to meet up with you all. That would be so much fun.

JesseK
bkmah
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2006
6:34 AM

Post #2083131

Sounds good to me too. I would like to go to the farmers market. I would like to meet up with everyone. Please let me know as well and I will be there. Looking at the new plants and varietys.

Michelle
chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2084702

I just noticed on Earthworks nursery site that they don't set up until April 1st at the Farmer's Market. They are the main reason I wanted to go so I'd love to wait until after then. I hope Messenbrink's still sells there too. Great perennials. They supplied a Master Gardener's sale here in Johnston Co a couple of years ago and I got some good deals on gallon sized plants.

Shari
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2084832

Okay, So March 19th Spring Craft Fair is just 2 weeks away. For those who can make it that Sunday at the Raleigh Farmer's Market, what time will work for everyone? 10, 11am? Wanna hear from everyone.

Chamthy - I plan to go back next month as well. ;)
Rosykay
Gates, NC

March 4, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2084922

I work every weekend. You guys have a great time.
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2006
1:42 AM

Post #2084962

I'll try to make it. I vote for 10 am.

Suzy
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2006
5:55 PM

Post #2086256

That sounds good to me. But let me get this right. March 19th at the Raleigh Farmer's Market at 10 am?

JesseK
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2086549

JesseK - We're waiting for folks to chime in here. Then we'll make the final decision.. Keep checking back - or add this thread to your watched list so you can see when there's an update...
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2006
2:07 AM

Post #2087262

Jessek - yep, you got it.

10am works fine for me to.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2006
3:23 AM

Post #2106181

Okay, for thos of you out there going to the Raleigh Farmers Market next Sunday, where will we meet at, theres' like a coupl of red roofed warehouse open areas? Any suggestions.

I will be wearing a bright red hat, bright red shirt, jeans, and brown boots. If you want, DG mail me for my cell # if you want to call me once you get there to meet up. Thanks.

See you all at 10am.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 11:25 PM
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2109330

Hi Rebecca,

I've never been out there - so why don't you pick the spot? I'm looking forward to our outing. I'll Dmail you to exchange phone #'s.

What do you think - should we add our pictures to "getting to know one another"?

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2110456

I agree with swoznick. I have never been there either so why don't you pick the spot for us? Just let me know where to meet and I will be there. Here is my photo so that it will be easier to find me. And I will be with DH.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2113233

Well - I don't venture out of the woodwork with a photo too often... But just for you guys - I'll show one. I hope that it does'nt scare ya too much!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

Swoz

Thumbnail by swoznick

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2114721

Here is a photo of me. I am so excited about meeting you guys and looking around at the farmer's market. See you on Sunday.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2117659

For All Going this Sunday:
Okay let's meet infront of the Fish Restaurant that is there. There's only one, I believe there are signs directing you which turn it is. We can meet there and go from there.

Sorry guys, I don't have a pic. But just look for the brown pony tail in a Red Hat, Red Shirt, Jeans and boots. Swoz you have me cell # just incase. See everyone there at 10am. Let's go shopping!!!
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2006
5:12 AM

Post #2118091

Oops. I cannot figure how I added my photo twice. I just noticed that. Sorry guys.

Jesse
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2006
2:45 PM

Post #2118617

Ok Field Trippers - !!!!!FAIR WARNING STATEMENT!!!!!!

I have a camera, I will be using it and pictures will appear on the forums... Bring your best smiles and lets have fun.

Swoz
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
1:56 AM

Post #2124216

DG folks at the Raleigh Farmer's Market!!! Yeah - it was a great day. Rebecca30 and I came out for field trip day and took the grand tour. The market is just starting to get geared up for the season. Here's Rebecca30 checking out some of the plants...

Thumbnail by swoznick

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2124218

Well I really thought she was gonna buy this one..

Thumbnail by swoznick

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2124219

OK - so fair is fair and I let her have a turn with the camera.

Thumbnail by swoznick

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2124221

Then I got ferned!!!

Thumbnail by swoznick

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
2:01 AM

Post #2124224

Well - just gotta do the group shot - so Rebecca30 is on the left and I'm on the right..

Thumbnail by swoznick

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2124230

There's a vendor there doing container gardening - I was interested in the varieties they put into each one... Just love the washtubs..

Thumbnail by swoznick

swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2124233

And one more..

We're planning to do this again. We missed everyone - hope you can join us for the next adventure!!

Thumbnail by swoznick

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
2:08 AM

Post #2124237

Wow, I love the photos. Seems you had a great time. Nice looking plant selection. Swoz, do you remember the pricing on the ferns? They looked so healthy. Those washtub containers are beautiful.

Casey
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
2:21 AM

Post #2124260

Carat,

I think that fern was in the $6-8 range. Prices were quite reasonable there. There was also an abundance of homemade soaps, cheeses, jams, jellies, syrups and the produce was awesome for this time of year. In another month, it will pick up considerably. You just wait - we'll have you coming up here to shop...

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2006
4:45 AM

Post #2124591

Hey guys, I'm so sorry that I missed the trip. We were told that my husband was leaving for CA at 7 PM so that is how we made our plans. He was going to go with me and we were going to have some fun before he left. Then last night we were shopping for his clothes at 3 AM because they called him and told him that they had changed it to 7 AM so that he could get there and still have time to do a little work. Boy was I mad! We did not even get chance to spend much time together before he left. I was so sad that I missed meeting you guys. But I sure hope to meet you soon and I definitely want to attend the next field trip.

Jesse

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2139221

Hi all.

Well I just made my plane reservations for April 8-15 to be in SC. So where should I be checking out things??? I am borrowing a vehicle from a friend and dont really want to rake up alot of miles on his vehicle so the closer to Clover, York, Rock Hill the better.

I hope the weather there warms up a bit in the next couple of weeks. Silly question but do you know of any place that rents riding lawn mowers???

Casey
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
2:28 AM

Post #2139533

Hey All,

How's everyone doing? Been traveling this week and next week.

Swoz - The pics came out pretty good, considering my mug shot didn't break the lens thankfully.

Plantcrazii - Hey we missed you out there. Not to worry, I hope to see everyone next month for the next field trip. Let's do this monthly.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
2:35 AM

Post #2139544

Okay, Let's hear from all of you about possible suggestions for the next field trip!!! Let the brainstorm begin.

Swoz- I got your daylillies ready. So the next field trip I will bring them. The daffodills are doing great. Still getting some of them in the ground. :))

Rebecca30
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2006
4:09 AM

Post #2141689

I am so sorry that I missed the trip. I really was looking forward to it. But hopefully I will be able to make the next trip.

Jesse
hgurule
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2006
4:23 AM

Post #2141705

Flowertown Festival will be April 1st and 2nd in Summerville, SC. Admission is free: http://www.summervilleymca.org/flowertown/
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2006
1:20 PM

Post #2168251

I have a suggestion:

JC Raulston Arboretum Raleigh, NC- Free Garden Tours
http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/
Requires 1 month advance notice for a party. Or we can just tour ourselves, either way.

How about Sunday May21st?
We can even make it a plant swap from our cars if anyone is interested. What do you guys think?
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2168252

Hey Rebecca,

I'll go tentative on this one. I'll have to see my schedule as we get closer..

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2170195

OH, I can't wait until next spring when I get to go and join in for real. But until then I am there in spirit and heart...

Casey
tangier
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2006
8:14 PM

Post #2184938

Hi All: I was reading through this site and I love all the information. I am a transplant from up north, and just bought a house down here and started gardening..I have started a lot of seeds but don't have much to show yet...I am doing some flowers and some vegetables. I am in the Charlotte area and would love to get together with others from around this area. I find the clay quite a challenge and am deciding on what kind of tiller I should buy...or rather how much I want to spend on one. Anyway...so much for my babbling...I would love to know of any gardening events around the Charlotte area or get togethers. Thank you.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2006
2:37 AM

Post #2201515

Hi Tangier.

Funny you should mention tiller. I am selling mine since I prefer to dig. If your interested D-mail me. :)

Swoznick - Hey, the family and I had a chance to swing by the Farmer's Market Fish Restaurant last week for dinner. Oh boy, the fish platter I had was really good.

Rebecca30
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2006
9:39 AM

Post #2201992

So when do you all think we can have our next outing? Right now we have no plans to travel to CA so hopefully we can all get together and do something fun. Anyone have any great ideas?

Jesse
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2006
3:23 PM

Post #2202580

Egh, whenever someone comes up with an idea. Any suggestions?

rebecca30

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America