Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: follow up photo yellow flower

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 189
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2001
12:53 AM

Post #8286

I went back out side and recounted the petals after posting the other picture. I counted 13 and when I was viewing the photo I counted 14. All of the blooms have 13 except for the one in the original photo. This photo should give a better up close view of the stalk and the leaves. Thanks for the reply on the other postings. Jim

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2001
9:09 AM

Post #93439

hi there

I think it might be a Silphium. they have reddish stems. it is possibly S. integrifolium aka Rosin Weed. behind the flowers there should have lots of sepals that look like bracts. sepals are the green scales that enclose a flower bud before it opens.

Mark
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2001
10:57 AM

Post #93893

Hey Jim ... when you were counting, did you do that thing with "she loves me, she loves me not"? Maybe they have a different number of petals so that little ditty really works???
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2001
11:04 AM

Post #93898

Yeah , that would work. I was posting a message about your kudzo at the same time you were posting on my yellow flower. Strange things are happening on Dave's Garden site.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2001
1:07 PM

Post #95961

Mark it does have a lot of sepals and they are so attractive. That must be what it is. Do you know how to root? I've tried to root in water and it dried up in a few days. Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America