Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Outdoor Fireplace

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We just love having a fire and now that we have the gas logs inside we enjoy the outside fires even more. This first pic is from our cabin. I unprofessionally LOL, laid all the stone that we hauled over from the creek.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

This is the one on our deck. It replaces a previous one that the screen became so dilapidated that we actually caught our chaise lounge on fire, so it had to go.

Thumbnail by haighr
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I like them both!! They both are places that are very inviting

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We ahve a chiminea exactly like yours. We love it and use it all winter long. Every time my husband builds a fire in it I make hot chocolate.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds yummy and it is getting to be that time of year!

Lebanon, PA

I made a nice out side fireplace
its a cut down drum its a bought 25 to 30 inches high
lots of wood fits in it
it has holes in the sides toward the bottom for air flow
and their is rocks palled up all a round it
looks good

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

This is an old tire rim from a huge semi it is more than 3' across and holds a lot. About 2ft. deep and keeps a real nice fire and for some cast iron cookin.

Lebanon, PA

were can i get a large tractor tralier rim
fora fireplace

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Ours came from a friend who works selling parts for big rigs. Perhaps you could find one at a junk yard?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Or try a tire store, they may be happy to give you one that is bent or otherwise usless.
We use that for our firepit, then found some pavers that make a circle and stacked them. This is good for setting a coffee pot on to keep warm etc. The pavers will crack over time with the heat, but we found rocks sometimes explode. We love to cook outside. Can't wait for the beer can chicken. All it has to do is stop snowing, and warm up about 40 degrees.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh yes, that good ole beer can up the butt as we call it here LOL! Love it. Last week this time it was 80 and today snow showers? Spring!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey, we have the "fancy cooker. It holds 3 chickens, has a cover and a therm. on top. Nothing "but" the best for our chickens. (it was a gift, but what a good one). We sure have some good meals out in the woods.
Another favorite is legs and thighs, when on sale. We shake them in corn muffin mix, lay them on the grill over some cherry wood coals and slowly, (set the rack real high) cook them. These must be turned often to brown evenly, but worth the baby sitting. Add a little salt and pepper while grilling. Easy, and really, really, tastey. We do a 10lb bag at one time, and with a few helpers there is usually little left.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Would like to see one of those fancy cookers. We have a friend who used steel grates and welded the holder for the beer cans to it, but it has seen it's last days. Would like the 3-chicken one for when we have others to feed!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Normally we use one of those tri-pods that can be purchased anywhere. We do use a larger grate on it though. The triple beer can cooker just fits on it. The lid is a large dome really works well.
We have cooked everything from whole venison loin with portabella mushrooms and onions to fresh blackberry tarts picked from the woods. We also have a big kettle for chili or soup when it is cold. Still...the hot dogs and burgers are pretty darned good too. We even had a few friends come down with a few bottles of wine and had an improptu wine tasting party....with paper cups! (I did later find some great dollar store wine glasses for at camp, much better)
I bet you guys have some good cookouts there too. And of course the fire is the place to cook-up those great fireside stories after dark.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL, we've had Dom in those paper cups you talk about. We have the Cabelas smoker with the high dome and do ours on that, but was wondering about what you put the chicken on. We just use the can and spread out the legs for support, but do you have something that actually holds them steadier? As I said we had something with the base and ring for the can but has gone by the wayside. We do have one from cabelas for 2 chickens, but not seen one for 3+.
Nothing like those stories after some wine LOL. Guess that is why it is usually just steve and me and nobody else!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd listen to the stories. I guess that we have heard some of them a hundred times, but they get funnier every time.
This cooker has a base with 3 stands for the chicken and another opt for a turkey. It is all set up for just this use. I am not sure where they got it from, they just said when they saw it they knew they had to buy it for us. It is down in the shed, but I will get the info for you. I think you would like it. We usually use small chickens, they get bronze brown and just fall apart and are so good.
Mmm, just googled it and can't find it.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well now curious, never have seen such a thing. I do know that it is our favorite way to cook them. We started doing the turkey at Thanksgiving last year in it, but Steve forgot to put the drip pan in and it caught fire, what a fiasco! We laughed and laughed after it was put out. Won't forget the pan again it was a 22lb. bird!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, boy do we have stories about turkeys and deep fryer, too long to tell. I found what it is called. It is a keg roaster. see this.....
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=keg%20roaster&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_14110294_2&results-process=default
Wow, that is a long one.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is the picture of our cooker. As you can see it has been used a few times, and after storing all winter could use a cleaning, but you get the picture.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhhhhh, that is neat! Will have to get us one of em. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to research.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You are very welcome. They are quite pricey, but we just have the top and set on our firepit. I don't think we would have bought it, but it was a gift and we found it was worth the money. As you can see it will also fit over your deep fat fryer, or gas smoker bottom too, if you wish.
Won't be outside cooking today, here is the forcast.....

Today: Heavy, wet snow, mixing with rain during the afternoon. High of 35.

Blah....

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That is what I just bought. Bought through Outdoor Cooking for $75.00 plus shipping. Guess we will use it both on the firepit at the cabin and at home on the grill.
CAlling for rain here and maybe 50. Got spoiled with a couple of days in the high 70's 2 weeks ago and then back to snow and cold. Hoping to get up to the cabin and turn the water on this weekend, we shall see. At least when the good outdoor cooking weather gets here, I'll be ready with our new keg roaster thanks to you!
Candee

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You only cost me 10 dollars for that crochet book....ha, but I am sure you will enjoy this much. I just put the chickens on the beer cans and sprinkle some seasoning on the outside. You do not even have to inject them or anything. I thought I had a picture of some cooking, sitting all brown and pretty over the fire, but I cannot find it. I have pictures of pig roasting, turkey frying, and turkey smoking...but I cannot find the drunk chicken.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have done them many times, just improvised with the beer can. I rub ours with oil and then sprinkle with brown sugar and paprika and salt. I add same to the beer and away we go. I wanted something better to hold them upright, especially for doing more than one. We have one a friend made, but have worn it to pieces. Have one from Cabelas, but is is a double and too close together to really do 2 at one time. I think this will work great.
Perhaps next time I can find you an item you absolutely must have at an equal price LOL!
Thanks again.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am sure you will like it. We keep the temp at about 350' for about an hour. There is still plenty of beer left in the cans. It is built well and I am sure will last you many years of use. Be sure to take a picture and post it!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Will post when it arrives. Thanks again for the info

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Got it last week, gonna be wonderful - haven't taken a pic yet, will do so when we use it the first time.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, I think you will like it. This one is better I think than the others because of the dome lid and the temp gauge. The lid really seals in the moisture and the temp is important to keep an eye on. Weather is getting nice, hope you can use it soon.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Will be using it soon, going to the beach to see the kids and new grandbaby Abygail this weekend, but probably to the cabin next week and it will get a try out. I really like the idea of the temp gauge as well. Thanks again for the info, even if you do owe me $80 bucks LOL!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey, that is 70 bucks, you have to take off that crochet book you talked me into, mmmmm, and the yarn to make all the stuff I then had to make after reading the book, ha, looks like you owe me. LOL

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Okay, even Steven - Just glad I don't have to pay you for the time you spent making them LOL!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ha, just had to think of something quick. I hate to owe people.
Glad there are people here to steer me in the right direction. I sure have learned alot at DG. Nice to be able to repay.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

It is so nice to be amused and be able to amuse. I enjoy our bantering, keeps me on my toes. Have a great day.
I saw your painted chicks on another thread, perhaps you could just supply my chickens!
Candee

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

opps, not my chicks. That must be another chick. I saw it too. They were really something. Don't have any farm animals here, all wildlife. Used to have ruffled grouse, those would work, but the bobcat is eatting them all.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oops, wrong chick!
Sorry to hear you are losing grouse, we have some at the cabin and they are really good eating. No wonder the bobcat is after them.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, we are down on turkeys too. I only like to hunt things there are too many of, so the turkeys, and grouse and bunnies are safe around here. I read where people have bunny problems, we have none. We put out "rabbit-tat" habitat for rabbits and got one in, but he is not around anymore. With all the preditors around we will never be able to hunt them. The coon and possums sure love the brush piles though. I could do without them.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Our problem at the cabin is those darn groundhogs, we have a few in our veggie garden at home as well. And the cats galore I could also do without.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We are really, really lucky not to have the groundhogs. Too much woods for them I guess. And cats? Seems like the neighbors cannot keep them around, too many preditors. One neighbor saw a hawk trying to get another neighbors cat one day, then there are the big cats, coyotte, etc.
Had a friend that used to serve ground "chuck" and said it was quite tastey. (woodchucks are vegetarians, quite clean)I do not eat at his house anymore.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL, ground chuck. We don't eat them either. We have cats at home and coyotes at the cabin, such a wide variety, guess that is why we love it so up there. Too bad we are getting too weary for the RU up there as we had two and then stopped.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We used to go to our woods every chance we got, then we were able to move here. We are on vacation every day. Nice to be able to walk, hunt, canoe, etc from the house. It was really nice over the weekend, and we were going to set up camp (open camp) but the wind started up very strong. No camp fires yet. Maybe next week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.