Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

DG Journals and Diaries: Design student uk- final year project

Communities > Forums > DG Journals and Diaries
bookmark
Forum: DG Journals and DiariesReplies: 2, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jenny2006
london
United Kingdom

February 21, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2060014

Hi, my names jenny and i am in my final year studying Product Design. For my major project i am investigating Gardening processes, especially Gardening preperation and aspects related to the whole gardening experince.

i would really appritiate any information on the following questions so as to help me with my project:

Why do you find most enjoyable about gardening?

What do you find most difficult about gardening?

Where do you store your gardening products

What times of the year do you garden?

and any other information would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks
ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2080464

Hi Jenny,
The most enjoyable - taking pleasure from looking at the garden picture I have created on a new house section (and when I start a vegeatable garden, eating the products)

The least enjoyable - finding I have overcrowded the planting area due to not realising how big some plants will grow. Many of these problems occured from cuttings received from others with no indication of how big they will become.

Where do I store my gardening products - bulbs are lifted and sorted, dried off and hung in a string bag in the garage.

What time of year do I garden - living in a temperate climate in New Zealand means gardening all through the year. However, much less to do in the winter months, really, only rose pruning and planting of new trees or shrubs. Early spring is the busiest.

We have had to plan and plant everything in our new house section, just a piece of bare land to start with. The front garden is partly planted as shown in the photo. The lawn is due to be sown sometime next month. The land was previosly part of an apple orchard and the soil threw up a huge amount of weed seeds once we started working it up. We have incorporated much bark compost into the ground and fertilised the flower beds well.
Gaining gardening knowledge is a life long learning process for the home gardener, each garden has it's own micro climate and must be learned. We aim to give our plants the best media to grow in, the correct fertiliser, the right amount of moisture and as far as possible the best position to give the best results.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2006
5:02 AM

Post #2083082

Why do you find most enjoyable about gardening?

The spiritual aspect of being deeply in touch with nature's energies. This seems to invade all aspects of gardening for me. The "spring fever" that hits me before the last frost which gets me dreaming then planning; the preparation of the beds...from sifting the compost to mixing it with the soil, to planting the seeds...tending the garden, watching it grow and of course, enjoying the harvest!

What do you find most difficult about gardening?

Shovelling. Whether it's manure, or double digging new beds. Hard on my back.

Where do you store your gardening products

many in it's respective garden, and tools in appropriate sheds.

What times of the year do you garden?

Spring and Summer and fall (with some small winter harvesting, but no planting.)

and any other information would be greatly recieved.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 178 Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America