Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Clean and Clutter-free: Vacuums

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 99, Views: 1,086
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2006
5:31 PM

Post #2060775

I've decided to help myself to cleaner floors by improving my tools. Toward that end I want to get a steam vacuum and maybe a hard-floor vacuum/mop. I've been browsing online and am bewildered by all the choices. Does anyone have any recommendations? I need something lightweight. My standard vacuum does only a so-so job, and I need to deal with pet hair and stains. For the kitchen and bath areas I'm still using bucket/mop and hand&knees for corners. Would something like Swiffer be adequate? Any ideas you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks!
Yuska
oldpepper
Westminster, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2070527

Yuska,
Stay away from Dyson, please. We bought one, the Animal Unit specificly for pet hair.
We have three puppies, a cat and rats.
We purchased it just before Christmas. By New Years we had already had to have it repaired due to a faulty switch. We are still having trouble as it shocks you when you lower the handle to use the vac.
Just my two pennies.
Good luck.

oldpepper
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2070843

Thanks for the experienced advice! I had wondered about whether the rather steep price for this highly advertised brand is justified. I tried to research via Consumer Reports but found virtually nothing. Best options right now appear to be with Bissell and/or Dirt Devil - but then deciding on which model (!)

I hope you are able to get the problems with your unit resolved.

Yuska

billums
Louise, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2006
3:05 AM

Post #2071937

Yikes! I love my Dyson. I got it back in 2002 and have never had a moment's trouble aside from my Mom trying to steal it. She has one of those Rainbow water filtered vacuums that are such a pain to use. She borrowed mine and didn't want to give it back.

I was the pround owner of a grey tabby cat and black furniture, so I needed something that was good with pet hair.
red_princess_71
Lilesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2071938

About 5 yrs ago I had a salesman come to my door selling vaccum's. They were electrolux ones..I had never heard of them but DH did and said alright for him to come in and sweep and scrub a few carpets...hey why not get it done for free, i say...lol... well anyways my daughter had bad allergies and my current sweeper was not doing the job...so i figured why not try this..I will never regret it...I even maid monthly payment on it till it was paid off...it was like $450 for the sweep and carpet scrubber...a super deal for us. I loved it...dont have the scrubber no more, my mother broke it, but it was not do to the sweeper it was her own fault...and the sweeper still use it about everyday. It has a hepa filter and i swear no dust or whatever you pick is coming thru or out of this bag.

Here is a link to get your started if you wanna look into an electrolux... They have so much more then they did about 5-6 yrs ago... http://www.electroluxusa.com/node138.asp?CategoryID=3094

Hope this helps,

Char
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2006
1:14 PM

Post #2072430

Thanks, billums and Char! More good information. Oldpepper, may your Dyson unit was a fluke - and if your warranty provides for it, perhaps you can get a replacement. The electric shocks might be a short in the wiring somewhere. Electrolux has been around for a long time - I wonder why I hadn't thought of it. Oh, my. Decisions, decisions. Even more to consider, but I really appreciate your input.

Yuska
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2006
12:20 AM

Post #2073812

I'll be honest with you, I've had vacs from every color of the rainbow,
ranging from $39.95 to the $ - I'm ashamed to admit - $ range. Yes,
I owned a Filter Queen.

Which one outperformed them all? My handy dandy, just over one hundred
dollar Eureka 12 amp The Boss with spin duster. Now keep in mind the spin
duster is as useful as a third elbow, but the vac itself, LOVE IT!

I regularly run this vac across my mattress and am shocked at the creatures
it sucks up. We have multiple pets, two boys and a hubby who just can't get
the hang of "Take your shoes off at the door."

The vac I once spent a fortune on couldn't hold a candle to this vac. And in
the event something happens to it, a hundred bucks comes along much
easier than a few thousand.

Take off the top, dump the cup, bang the filter outdoors and watch the
incredible crud come out of it. Use hubby's compressor to blow it out and
you'll be blowing it for five minutes, amazed at the stuff it can hold.

Call me anal, some days I like to just keep on vacuuming the house over and
over, thinking the cup will no longer gather anything. Wrong.

I just love my Eureka!

sbarr
Albany (again), NY
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2006
8:46 AM

Post #2085442

here's a good site with product reviews: www.epinions.com
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2085740

Many thanks! It is indeed a good site, and I'm bookmarking it. Yuska
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2006
2:28 PM

Post #2085837

I have a miele - cost $600 - but it works every day for 12 years and has double filters so it doesn't throw dust back in the room.

I have worn out the beater bar on the carpet unit...gotta order a new one.

Have a bissel carpet cleaner that cost $200 and works amazingly well on white carpet.

We have two cats - one of whom brings friends home
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2006
3:33 PM

Post #2085979

Thanks! I had never encountered any info about Miele - looks very interesting. And Bissell is a dependable brand. Choices, choices. I may wind up with more than one.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2006
6:33 AM

Post #2095043

I have a less expensive, about $250.00, Meile and can't say enough good things about it. Their filter system is amazing, it never smells (and I do have a dog).
akdebs
Juneau, AK

March 9, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2098923

I have to also speak up for Dyson. I bought one from one of my real estate clients. She wanted to keep it but the truck was full. She still had the original box even! I've cleaned it out twice in 8 months, changed the HEPA type filter once (you just rinse and dry that) and I love the thing! We have 2 cats and a dog plus two teens. We are not as careful as we should be with shoes in a new house with off-white carpet. We have laminate, slate, and carpet. I love my Dyson. It is still not the perfect machine for stairs but I have yet to find one of them. If it even begins to lose suction the first culprit is the roller bar on the bottom. It is easy to figure out how to access various things on this machine. Pet hair isn't the issue when it comes to clogs, it is MY long and thick hair that seems to fill up the roller. I really, really like this machine and even my husband says it is the best vacuum we have ever had.
teateacher
Franklin Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2006
11:35 PM

Post #2099828

akdebs... are you an agent or broker? Sorry to be off topic... but I was just wondering...

I have had the spectrum range on vacuums over the years too, from Kirby (big $$) to Walmart machines... my current Eureka is good but I have to say it does throw some dust back. :o( It's pretty old but I have hard wood & tile... only 3 bedrooms rooms with carpet, so I just deal with it until I can 'decarpet' those rooms... don't really have much advice to add as it seems you have plenty of suggestions already. ;o) sharon

This message was edited Mar 9, 2006 8:37 PM

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2100149

I bought a Hoover bagless Wind Tunnel vacuum a couple of years ago and love it. We have three cats who spend a lot of time inside, and I vacuum up about half a cat's worth of hair every time I use it. We garden and track in mud, etc. too. I bought an extra filter and wash them often. DH did not think they could be washed, but it has worked so far.

I also have a Hoover SteamVac that I use on tile floors and rugs downstairs and carpet upstairs. It was not expensive, but it really does the job. We previously had a Bissell, but when it developed problems, the repairman said trash it and buy a Hoover.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2006 8:37 PM
akdebs
Juneau, AK

March 10, 2006
4:58 AM

Post #2100745

teateacher, I could be a broker if I wanted... I took the classes, passed the test. I am an Associate Broker. I really do not have the patience or tolerance to be legally responsible for the actions of people who are not under my direct supervision. The way the law reads, a broker is. I prefer to keep doing what I love, helping people, and not having that additional responsibility! Why do you ask?
teateacher
Franklin Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2006
12:31 AM

Post #2108417

akdebs, I have an active brokers license in Florida (where we just moved from) and had my own small brokerage there. I'm waiting for a reciprocal license for Georgia but I've been waiting "8 weeks" for my license history to come from Florida. Nobody ever said they were fast! I don't know if I will actively sell here as I'm really enjoying my free time & gardening at this point. My daughter is an agent too and she wants to open an office since we now live here and I could be the broker of record. She is doing a lot of commercial deals and hates splitting that %. It's a good 24 / 7 business if you like excitement and have the energy!

Patrob...a repair tech a good person to get advice from. He probably sees them all. When I'm ready to ditch my old one, I'll have to look closer at the Hoovers.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2006
10:30 AM

Post #2147020

Look into Oreck. You couldn't give me anything else. I'm on my second one in almost 20 years. There is nothing like it for pet hair (I first had a collie, after he died we got a golden retreiver). The vacuum only weighs 7 lbs and hangs on a wall hook. It sweeps bare floors and carpet equally well.

Karen
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

March 29, 2006
2:58 PM

Post #2147563

I love my Oreck too Karen. I particularly like the fact that it is light weight, weighing only 8 lbs., and it self-adjusts going from rug to floor.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

April 2, 2006
4:15 AM

Post #2156986

I have an Electrolux (30 yrs old) AND a Hoover (4 yrs old) and they are both fabulous.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2158623

First time I've looked into this thread. I grew up with Electrolux. My mother had them and my grandmother before her. I brought my mother's old vacuum (about 1982 vintage) to my house when I cleaned out hers in 1993, thinking it was newer than mine, but I found I preferred mine. Gave the old one to the food bank I was running and it did yeoman duty for several years. When the food bank bought an industrial vacuum, we gave the Electrolux to another food program and as fas as I know it is still going.

I bought my first one in 1975 and it's still going at my daughter's in Vancouver. For a long time I resisted getting a new one saying I was bit my bit making the old one into a new machine as I replaced or repaired various bits, but 5 or 6 years ago, I did break down and buy myself a new Electrolux.

Ann
mlm01
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2006
4:07 AM

Post #2159336

Boy am I glad I found this thread!

I am wanting a new vacuum type device real bad--I'd like one that can steam clean carpets and dry vacuum, plus clean kitchen and bathroom floors.

I don't know if I'll have to get two devices or if I can find just one to do it all.

I have spent a good amount of time at epinions.com too am I am considering the following:

Hoover F7205900 SteamVac V2 Wet/Dry Vacuum
Hoover Floor mate
Hoover f7425-900 widepath
Bissell ProHeat 7950

Anyone have any opinions on those?

In the meantime, I am going to check out the electrolux site.

Thanks,

Maureen
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2006
2:04 PM

Post #2159801

Hi, Maureen! Even though I started this thread over a month ago I still haven't been able to choose...really unlike me to be so slow to decide. I am about to conclude I will need two machines - a steamer and a standard. I have a Hoover now that is fairly good but not for pet hair (I am owned by some cats.) I did opt for an inexpensive and lightweight "stick" with a battery pack that is quick and easy for "over the top". I need lightweight units because of a mobility/strength problem. The perplexity I'm experiencing results from the selected information in the web sites of the various brands. I can read what the units are reportedly able to do, but little or nothing is said about the limitations. I wonder if I can manage to talk to technical people at the companies, explain my needs and ask for recommendations. Yuska

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2160208

Hi again,

Just taking a break from vacuuming. As I mentione above, I've had more than one Electrolux. However, they were not all created equal. Even among the same brand, some followed me around better than others. I would really attempt to give everything you are considering a good try out. If the machine is too heavy or awkward for easy use, you will tend not to use it. And that MIGHT be a really good reason to have two machines rather than one which will do everything but might be hard to use. The only way you will know what feels good to you is to try them out for as long as possible. See if you can try one at home. REALLY try it. Not just watch a salesperson demonstrate it. Or see if you can take a machine on trial. Or ask around of your friends and neighbours. Maybe volunteer to do their vacuuming once or twice. I doubt they would say no. ;-)

Ann
mlm01
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2006
6:29 PM

Post #2160452

Hi Yuska,

I'm in the same boat...it's been a couple of months and I still haven't made up my mind. I was trying to save some money but I may need two machines as well.

Based on the reviews I've read I'm leaning heavily towards the hoover widepath. But I still just don't know for sure!

Ann, I will likely take your advice and try to try one out at home before I lay down a few hundred dollars. That Idea about vacuuming someone's house is a great idea--I know my friends wouldn't say no! ☺

Thanks guys,

Maureen
IceCheerMom
Naperville, IL

May 24, 2006
7:02 PM

Post #2313318

I came to this site for garden advice but couldn't help but stop in at this forum. I am a neat freak married to a sloppy packrat (our child is somewhere in between our 2 extremes) so my life is an ongoing struggle in this particular area. About vacuums- we have 2 dogs and lots of allergies. I bought a Miele canister vacuum a few years ago and I would recommend it highly.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2006
9:00 PM

Post #2313613

Thanks...I'll look into it...don't know why I've had such a hard time deciding; not like me at all. Except I do know it will have to be two units; the combo steam/dry units are just too cumbersome for arthritic wrists. Any thoughts on the bagless types? I thought that was what I wanted but some one said the very fine dust really flies when they're emptied. Yuska
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

May 28, 2006
6:02 PM

Post #2325398

I gave my daughter a Roomba for Christmas. She loves it. Now they've come out with a Scooba that scrubs your floors.
Gift_of_Reading
Rancho Cordova, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2006
7:28 PM

Post #2325586

Yuska, I've had both and prefer the bagless. The amount of dust that flies is about the same for both kinds and is limited to the spot where you change the bag or dump the bucket. I like the bagless because I find the bags messy and a nuisance to change. The bucket is click, it's out, click, it's back in.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2006
9:55 PM

Post #2326056

I have all white ceramic tile in every room of this soon-to-be-leaving Florida, heading to Ohio house...I do dog rescue, and I have 10 at the moment... 3 are short haired, 1 is a shepherd, and the rest are all non shedders...I vacuum and mop daily, with the sandy soil tracked in, all the dog hair, the dribbled water etc...I finally broke down last month and bought that Hoover Floormate and I LOVE it!! The 6 brushes scrub down into the grout and the crevices in this textured tile...
It looks cleaner than it ever has since I moved here..and Ive tried all kinds of mops..
Yes, I DO still need to use a wet rag in the corners but it does get along the baseboards..It has a cup rather than a bag and does dry vac and then scrubbing, and then it squeegies/vacs almost dry..The other great thing about it is that it is lightweight and simple to use, and can be used on hardwood floors also..

As for my bathroom, since Im over 60 and getting the tub and behind the toilet done is extremely difficult for me, I invested in that new Mr Clean Bathroom scrubber...I figured if it didnt work, it wasnt that expensive...but guess what?? It WORKS!! I can clean the walls, the tub and the entire bathroom floor with it .. Another I Love It product!!

Dusty
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2006
11:11 PM

Post #2326259

Thanks for your ratings based on your experiences, everyone! Much better than going by the advertising copy!
Gift_of_Reading
Rancho Cordova, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2329478

DustyDS,

Thanks for the good words on the Mr. Clean bathroom scrubber. I swear that the floor is getting lower every year and gravity is getting stronger. (LOL) I don't go down to floor level unless I have something nearby that I can pull myself up with. This sounds like just the thing to get to clean the bathrooms here.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2006
12:33 AM

Post #2329643

I bought mine on the spur Gift...Then I got a $10 off coupon, so I immediately went and got another one..Just because...
I spray my tub down with Greased Lightening, and do the sink and cabinet/counter/mirror and by the time Im done, the tub is ready to use the scrubber on.. soon as that is done, I swap heads, and hit the floor...Im usually finished in less than 10 minutes total...This is one *Gadget* that definitely gets my vote!! I absolutely cannot get down and scrub behind that potty..If I did, they would have to call the Firemen to come get me up..Ive been scrubbing the tub after I take a bath while Im still in it as the water goes down, then I need the shower to rinse off...This is NOT a good option...I only weigh 123 pounds, so my weight isnt the issue, but its the debilitating arthritis that does me in ..Please do try it ... it definitely brings the floor up to you !! LOL

Dusty
mlm01
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #2344355

Hi Dusty,

Thanks for your report on the floormate, it's very helpful. I hate to be a stickler but can you tell us the model number? There are several and when you look at ratings at a place like shopping.com the ratings between models vary alot.

Thanks,

Maureen
gillibean
Cardiff, ON
(Zone 4a)

June 21, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2414603

I don't have a vacuum to recommend, we're now using an ancient one I got from my parents. However, I will say that any Dirt Devils I've used have been VERY LOUD. You need earplugs to run them. I took the ancient Hoover over the fairly new Dirt Devil that my parent's also offered me - I don't want to go deaf.
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

June 24, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2428712

I bought 2 Hoover Windtunnel Bagless with HEPA filters this year to replace our older vacuums. They were about $140- $150 and I got one with a free 20 ft hose for using on stairs at Costco. OMG I was stunned when I saw what they pick up compared to my old vacuums. The canister is nearly half full on a once a week vacuuming on each floor of the house. And we do observe the no shoes rule! Even the bedrooms yield so much 'stuff' it made me ill to think of walking on that dirt all this time until I upgraded. I thought at first that it would all clean up and then there would be much less debris in the canister - nope, it picks up just as much each week, and its not carpet fibers either. I even had my ductwork cleaned last year and we don't have a real dusty house.

This time around I didn't go for a more expensive machine, but I researched to some extent and found that there is a marginal change in performance when you get into the more expensive machines. My allergist recommended only that I change to a new vacuum with a HEPA filter.
Hope that helps. I am very satisfied with the vacuum I chose. Maybe the Dyson or one of the other more expensive machines works better, but for the price vs. what it can do, the Hoover does a great job.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2429606

At least according to Consumer Reports, Dyson isn't really as good as they claim to be...many other vacs are better at cleaning. I think the Wind Tunnel rated pretty well with them.

As far as vacuuming again and still having a bunch of dirt in the cup...this is why the travelling vacuum cleaner salesman can tell you to vacuum your carpet with your vacuum, then he comes in with his and shows you all the dirt his vacuum got that yours missed which convinces you that his vacuum is better than yours, even when what's really happening is that there's so much dust in there that you could probably vacuum all day and never get rid of all of it. I don't know if there are any of these guys anymore, but I know there used to be.

The problem I have with the bagless ones (I also have a Hoover Wind Tunnel) is that while they clean great and I love that there's no bag to replace, I've found that when you go to empty the can you poof up a ton of dust which sort of defeats the purpose of having the HEPA filter to protect you from dust!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2006
4:08 AM

Post #2623561

I purchased a Riccar vacuum several years ago and LOVE it. If you don't want it sucked up you better not get this vacuum near it! We were farming at the time and had several shedding pets in the house and it picked up everything. I think it was several hundred dollars at a local Sewing machine/vacuum place. I did a lot of research online deciding what brand to buy, none of them were Riccar of which I never saw while researching vaccuums online, but the same price bracket. The owner of the shop I went to talked me into trying the Riccar even though he did sell the other brands I was interested in, I liked it much better than the others I tried. Even the ones rated highly in Consumer reports weren't as good. My allergies would not get along well with the bagless vacuums. There's no way to dump dust out of a canister without it sending out dust particles into the air even if you can't see them you can still breathe them. The bag on the Riccar is full at about 3/4 and when you pull it out of the vacuum has a flap to fold over the opening to keep the dust in. So unless you bounce it around after you remove it the dust stays inside.

Lana
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2624174

Thanks for the input, Lana. I'll try to find a Riccar to try. Is it fairly lightweight? My arthritic wrists can't manuever equipment as well as I'd like.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2006
3:22 PM

Post #2624524

lighter than some of the others I tried. I have back problems and it works very well for me.

Lana
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2624588

My Hoover Power Drive Vacuum is self propelled with a push/pull handle...I love it!! Until I started to pack to move, I had 5 big oriental rugs down in the house, and it cleaned them beautifully as well as the Outdoor carpet here on the screen porch..It uses a bag, which I prefer..Those bagless vacs cause as much dust when you empty them as they supposedly pick up..I put mine on Freecycle, and bought my Hoover.. Makes a nice compliment to my Floormate..

Dusty
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2006
10:50 PM

Post #2636387

We finally bought a Miele red star and absolutely love it. Wish we had bought this brand earlier. It's the best we've used on pet hair (we have three cats). I really appreciate how quiet it is compared to other vacuum cleaners. The head on the power head swivels in so many ways that I don't need to move the furniture around much to reach out of the way areas. I especially like the fact that the house doesn't get that "vacuum cleaner" smell after we use it. Miele gives a 5 year warranty and I can get it repaired locally if anything should happen.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2643847

I had a Tri-Star for a hundred years and loved it, but alas it finally died and I was facing the same problems you are having now. I switched to a new brand to me call Sebo and it is nice. It's like a self propelled lawn mower in that it kinda goes by it's self. Try a demonstration on it.

Jeri

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2006
5:38 PM

Post #2644601

DustyDS, after reading your comments I just broke down and bought a Hoover Floormate. I ordered it from http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/18519.html because they had a $15 coupon (good only through today, 8/21/06) and free shipping. It's the SpinScrub 500 Hard Floor Cleaner, Model:H3030. Total cost with the $15 discount and free shipping was $154.

We have old white embossed vinyl tiles in our big kitchen, laundry room and two bathrooms. The entrance hallway has ceramic tiles. Foot traffic from the yard and the garage goes through the laundry room and the kitchen, so they are the biggest challenge, but everything is hard to keep clean. Mopping just leaves grunge behind, and so does my Eureka Enviro Steamer which was a big disappointment and waste of money. I'm sure hoping the Floormate works! It will be a huge blessing if it does.
sarahjo80
Loveland, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2647924

I have my mom's old Kenmore canister, and I love it. It just keeps on sucking 10 years later. If it ever needs a part (knock on wood) I can order them through the Sears webpage.

I clean my uncle's house weekly. He has a whole house vac. I know these have a bad reputation, but I LOVE it! I love not having to lug the motor around, and it sucks good along with the rest of them. I think they're much better now than 20 years ago when they came out.

I have a more definite opinion when it comes to steam cleaners.

My mom has a Hoover, and I have a Bissell with on-board heater. I HIGHLY recommend getting one with the on-board heater. Having used both of them, I can tell you that the heat makes the difference. Even putting hot water in my mom's, I felt like I was playing "beat the clock" to the water cooling off. :) I can go at my own pace with my machine :)

Sarah

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2675675

DustyDS, my Hoover FloorMate arrived and I just love it! Thank you for writing about it. Since I had to use my regular vacuum to do the corners and edges of the kitchen and laundry room, I just vacuumed the entire floor with that. Later I did use the Floor Mate to vacuum our ceramic tiled hallway and it did a very decent job. I doubt it would pick up Cheerios or chunky bits of crackers, but it definitely picked up cat hair, dust bunnies and even bits of cat litter that our cat tracks through the house.

It took a little while to get the proper angle for the "floating" handle. At first, I held it straight down at the end of my arm and it didn't do much. Bringing it more upright did the trick and I could see that it really was scrubbing. I found that you do have to move slowly back and forth for the brushes to do their job. On "inhale" mode, it did indeed suck up virtually all of the cleaning solution and the floor was dry almost immediately. Having just mopped that floor a week ago, I was horrified at the filthy black water in the recovery container. Our vinyl floor tiles are the same width as the FloorMate brush, so I worked in manageable quadrants, first cleaning a section and then using the Wet Pickup. For the first time in five years I have really clean floors, with no sticky residue left behind. Those old embossed floor tiles finally met their match.

I wish I had discovered the FloorMate years ago. It's my new best friend! Today I tackle the two bathroom floors and am actually looking forward to it.

Thanks again.
Lellie
Anna Maria Island, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2781899

Another 'Yes' vote for the Dyson!
I, too, have the 'Animal' model and LOVE IT!
mlm01
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2006
9:13 PM

Post #2789009

Yesterday I got a Dyson DC 15 all floors with "the ball." What a great vacuum! I love it and I love the way the ball manuvers. You almost don't need the crevice tool because it is so close to the wall. the ball makes it feel less heavy than other vacuums also. It's more powerful than any vacuum I've ever used. I only wish it had a headlight on the front.

All in all though, I love this thing and I think I will have it a long time.

Maureen
CricketCreek
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2006
2:20 AM

Post #2808899

Meile all the way here
sizematters
Perrysburg, OH

February 1, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3143729

Swifter is ok for about 15 minutes, then it whimps out. Won't pick up a dry Cheerio. I bought a 200 dollar plus hard floor cleaner with the water tanks,solutions, etc. a few years ago. The dang thing applied cleaner to the floor and sucked up nothing, the ammount of cleaning solution cost alot. It left the dirt on the floor with swirl marks from the brushes. I have never in my life found any cleaning utensil better than a good vac and hand mopping. Sponge mops, string mops, as seen on t.v. super picker mops, etc. just smear dirt around. I look at the dirt in a bucket after using a mop and it is almoust clear. I vac and then hand mop my hard surfaces and get a scurvy bucket of water. I don't buy special cleaning products, I follow my mom's old cleaning recipes. Tile and lineolium, fill a bucket with hot water and ammonium. Wood floors fill a bucket with hot water and mild dish soap and white vinegar. Pull the dirt out of the corners towards you, rinse the rag (NOT A SPONGE!) often, and you will have a clean house. I use a straw broom through the week to pick up the big chunks, takes very little time. People are getting lazy and will spend alot of money to be lazy. I have done that and regret it. Products offered don't do a good job. Do it like the Amish do it, save yourself money, time, do it right, and get exercise. It's kind of like using a dishwasher, you rinse 'em off, put 'em in the machine, ... Takes much less water and energy time to just do it. I always hoped there would be a magic product that would do it for me easy, but there isn't. Please don't spend money looking for things that will make promises. I bought a Shark vac, (as seenon t.v.) the dang thing sucked up a fringe on a rug and died the first time I used it. I took it apart to fix it and found a rubber band for a belt. Got on line to order a replacement belt and the belt with shipping cost more than the sweeper. All the crap appliances I bought are in the attic. I do it right now, don't smear dirt, move it around, displace it, etc. I get exercise too. Ummm, maybe it's time for me to get off of my soap box, but I'm 53, been lazy znd done that.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3143953

Well, I agree with you that the hands-and-knees method is the best way to clean linoleum, but at age 76 I'm finding the ol' bod is complaining painfully when I attempt it. Got to find a compromise of some sort.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
8:47 PM

Post #3241917

I have a Miele Blue Moon which isn't made anymore. But all the Miele types are about the same. The Blue Moon was just the largest of the line. Miele is expensive but a true engineering marvel. It is made of good sturdy parts, is quiet and picks up dirt and pet hair like mad. I have two long haired dogs and it handles the pet hair situation perfectly. I have heard that Riccar is a similar quality, but I don't see how you can beat a Miele.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

November 3, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #4152009

I LOVE my Floormate. Nothing else works like it, for me.
medontdo
Harveyville, KS

November 12, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #4185399

my husband bought me a bissel power track, i really love it!! alot better than my moms dyson, hers was 499 ours was 127. i just love bissel, i even got my mom to switch over to the bissel on the new steam vacumm. :'}}
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

November 14, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #4193523

I have to vote for the Electrolux. My Mom still has hers from when she got married (1959)---it still works great. I got one about 10 years ago and have never had a problem with it.
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

June 19, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6710458

I'm the biggest skin flint of all - I bought the mophead for disposable mop cleaning pads and loved it. But those pads are expensive. And they leave a soap film on the floor - which left streaks on my beautiful new hardwood floors. I quickly found that my old soft cleaning rags ( old towels) would get in the hooks for disposable pads, I could wet them with distilled water, and then throw them in the washer when they had picked up enough dust. It usually took 1/2 dozen little towels to do the den and foyer. (Hard tap water left streaks) Now I have an RO filter and don't have to buy distilled water. I never rinse them in mop water - just get a clean one and always mop with clean water and a clean mom. No residual soap or streaks.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 22, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6722079

Vacuums are so interesting to me. I know, I know, I am weird. Actually, I stumbled upon Dave's Garden while reading vacuum reviews in the winter months of 2006. The day that I was researching vacuums, I heard many people talking about Dyson's vacs. Since 2006, I am the owner of two Animal versions and a hand held small vac. The past few months I have been thinking about possibly adding another of their products to my household. The "ball" one that is advertised on TV these days. Due to the high cost of Dyson vacs, I hesitate a bit and need to give a bit more thought to it. Almost four years late, I am still amazed at the amount of dog hair that I pick up during one vacuuming session.

I have several complaints about each of the uprights that have, but nothing so bad yet as to make me purchase another brand.

My floors stay in fairly decent condition, despite three sometimes muddy and dirty dogs who use them. Gava, I am envious of all hardwood floors. When I built this house, I installed wall to wall carpeting and have wished so many time for hard wood. Live and learn.

Ruby
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6722535

That Dyson ball looks good, doesn't it? Wish I knew someone who has used it. I don't have a Dyson (yet) but I'm glad to know that pet hair (cats here) can be conquered. What drawbacks have you encountered with the uprights? How often do you use the handheld?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6722627

Two people on my county forum absolutely love their Dyson's. They raved about them and another member that had been asking about them bought one and agreed that it was the best. She chose it as her 1st wedding anniversary present after using one of the other members Dysons. She has large dogs and said that her cleaning is so much easier now. I will probably buy one when this one breaks.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6723136

I have a Dyson Animal and have had it for several years and still love it. They are pricy, but I guarantee you that I spent more replacing all the cheap ones I bought in previous years. Although I don't recommend it, I will tell you that it will suck up a dryer sheet and keeping going (no, it wasn't me, who did that, but it was my Dyson).
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 22, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6723581

I just used my Animal Dyson. Love it.
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6726177

This looks like a useful website
http://www.vacuumwizard.com/
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 28, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6749056

Thank you Robin for the link. It looks as though there is a lot of good information on the site. I will save for later.

Both of my uprights are the purple colored Animal vacuums too. That is what most of my debris is. I have three dogs and I have never in my life seen as much hair as they they shed. When I first bought my vacuum and saw what a great job it was doing picking up the hair and things, I would pull it out for a demonstration for people as they visited. I was that impressed.

Yuska, I have had a few problems with the second one that I bought. I chalk it up to me buying it when it was just being introduced and not all the bugs had been worked out of it yet. This has been a couple or three years ago, so it should have the kinks worked out by now.

We have had to change the belt on it twice already, but the company warranty is fairly decent and I haven't ever paid for anything. Also on the second model, the filter that would only need cleaning sporadically with the first machine becomes dust and dog hair filled after just one session and I have to clean it after every use. Despite these things I still love it.

One good thing about both of the machines is that they send really good instructions and I am able to disassemble and then reassemble the machines with no problem. Dyson also has an 800 customer service number to call with any questions. No not cheap but worth it to me.

As for any likes or dislikes with the hand held one, I hate that it only runs for six minutes before it needs to be recharged again. Six minutes passes very quickly it seems.

Yes, I would buy Dyson again.

Ruby
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6749798

Many thanks for sharing your experiences...most helpful. We can't expect any machine to be perfect, but these seem to come close.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 14, 2009
10:06 AM

Post #7167246

Guess what I did yesterday. I ordered a new Dyson Animal Ball vacuum and also the animal hand held vacuum too. Yep, on up there in the bucks, but I am regarding them as my birthday and Christmas present to myself. hahaha I am not sure when they will be delivered, but I can't wait to see how they work.

Just thought I would share this little tidbit with some like minded folk.

Ruby
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7167662

I purchased a Dyson from Sam's a few months ago and it is AMAZING!

I have hardwood floors throughout most of my house, but do have an area rug in my living room that needs vacuuming and the stuff the Dyson pulls out of the rug is incredible. Well worth the money spent.
Mike
Sallysblooms
South, TX

October 14, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #7167896

I wrote above that I love my Dyson Animal but it pulls too hard on area rugs. I can't use it on them. Is there another vacuum that will not pull up the rugs and mess them up on the edges?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 26, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #7209177

Mike, I too was amazed when I bought my first Dyson. I would pull it out whenever some one new came to visit and show them how powerful it was. It is now five Dyson's later for me. Yesterday was my birthday and I ordered the Ball Animal and the Animal hand held vacuum as a gift to myself.

All five machines still work but I am going to give my youngest son the oldest one for his apartment. I like to have another on hand unless there is a problem with the one I am using. I am especially loving the new hand held, for one reason in particular. It runs for ten minutes before needing to re-charge the battery, versus only six minutes for the older one that I have. I found that six minutes running time wasn't enough to vacuum my couches, but ten minutes doesn't even use up the whole charge. I am a happy woman. hahaha

Sally, you may want to call the Dyson hot line and see what they have to say about the vacuum pulling at the rugs. I know that the vacuum has pulled a few of my carpet seams over the years. I had another girl friend say the same thing too. I just live with it because of the other assets of the machine. Let us know if you find out anything regarding the rug pulling please.

Ruby

shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #7209359

So for anyone looking for a Dyson these days. We saw the Refurbished models on overstock.com for as low as $269.99 with $1 shipping and no tax for those in Texas anyway. I purchased a refurbished model from Amazon several years ago and have had no problems whatsoever. That is really a good deal!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 26, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #7209440

Yeah shuggins, that is a fantastic price. I didn't think of looking for refurbished ones. I have found Dyson's customer service to be quite helpful and pleasant to work with... ... knock on wood.
Happy vacuuming to all.

Ruby
Sallysblooms
South, TX

October 26, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7210274

Thanks Ruby, I need to call them about rugs.
cheerpeople
northwest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7363050

I read thru this older thread with interest hoping for a cheap cordless vacuum for bare floor, and for very short pile rugs.
The swiffer vac I like, but it doesn't do rugs, and doesn't pick up the size garbage my family leaves on the floor.

I ended buying a Eureka cordless Quickup ( the purple one) which is bagless and about $40. It was shipped free by target.com and arrived in 3 days.
I like it. It also did a decent 'quicky' job on my carpets as well.

It doesn't pick up tall things like the corner of a poptart. The bin takes a strong thumb to push back in. ( not for arthritis folks) but I'd recommend it for the strong thumbed who live with the 3 little pigs!
;)
K
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7370715

Oooh! Thanks for that! I am just now needing something just for bare floors and a few scatter rugs.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 29, 2009
9:53 AM

Post #7406148

For my birthday in October I treated myself to a Dyson Ball Animal Vacuum and their new
Animal hand held too. Vacuuming has always been a most hated chore, but the Dyson's perform so well that I don't mind vacuuming.

We have three medium to large sized dogs who are house dogs. I could vacuum each day and still fill up the canister within a 24 hour period.

K- I loved your description of your three little pigs.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #7527551

My Miele came yesterday, so far so good. It is SUPER quiet and handles great. I went with one of the mid priced ones since I could charge it to my business.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

February 4, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7527654

I love my Dyson, but it really damaged my carpet in the house we lived in before. Now, I only use it on our wood floors. I bought a more gentle vacuum for our expensive area rugs.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7528145

I've heard folks say that it had enough suction to pull dirt up out of the basement from the first floor. Is it's brush rough on the carpets? In hindsight, I thought that about the Kirby. It's bag seemed to be full of carpet fibers.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

February 4, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7529470

Yes, it is a shame that the warranty is not good if you have new carpet and use a Dyson. I can't use it on our expensive area rugs, it is the brush, REALLY makes deep marks. Also, you cannot use it close to the edge. It tore up a pretty rug! No way to do a small rug in a doorway. Pulls it all up. We still use it for the wood floors. Had to get the new vacuum for the rugs.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

colleenmae
Murrells Inlet, SC

February 18, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7568785

May you be glad you aren't blessed with my husband; my last vac died a while back; and he brought me his shop vac to use. It no longer has a nozzle on the hose end, and the hose is about 3-4 inches wide. It's a real wench to hold on to, but his theory is that with 5 large dogs, 2 cats, 7 & 8 yr. olds, their 30 yr. old father, and us, it works better than what I had been using; but then; he doesn't have arthritis in hands and hips. He has his good points- but this ain't them !
Sallysblooms
South, TX

February 18, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7569453

GOSH! A SHOP VAC? You can't just go buy a vacuum?

My hubby has to vacuum since my CFS is worse. He uses our two vacuums. Dyson for the wood flooring and our new Perfect brand vaccum for the area rugs. Maybe if your husband vacuums he will get a good machine. I have no idea how to use a shop vac to vacuum a home.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 10:56 AM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7569977

That would be rather awkward to vacuum the whole house with a shop vac, we just use ours to clean the pellet stove or if we have a burst pipe.
colleenmae
Murrells Inlet, SC

February 27, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7592415

No, can't go buy one just now. We have our own business, which has been closed due to damage received in Aug.'09. We have been living without an income since then, and he controls the purse strings. He is not American born, so he needs that control issue firmly under his fingers. He is a citizen, and we have been married about 35 years, so to try and change him now won't work. He likes the shop vac because it has such good suction. As stated, there are other related issues; dogs, children, etc. , but even though he has vacumned with it, he doesn't have my hands. And, no, he does not get that my hands are in such rough shape. Wasn't looking for a solution; just making a statement. I work with him, so I usually buy what I need out of my pay, but, as also stated, that isn't a possibility until we can re-open.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 14, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7629876

Colleen, it sounds as if you've made many sacrifices over the years. We all make compromises, but from what you've written, you've made more than your fair share.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2010 4:17 PM
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

December 9, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #8251851

Enjoy reading and often learning easier things to help our lives be easier!
Just found out a great thing!! I have a floor swifter but hate to buy replacement pads ...bought replacement pads for steam machine and they work great...2 for about $20 in Lowe's. Make sure you get the one with the velcro so you don't cover the openings for chemicals to spray out. This works great and I can wash it after using!!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8251962

I too gave up on buying replacement pads for Swiffer
mops. I just use one of those micro-fiber dust cloths
now, slightly dampened. They can be reversed and
used again, then tossed in the washer. I got them at
the Dollar Store and am still using ones that I bought
a year ago!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 9, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #8252160

Just lost my whole post. Heavy hand here I guess. Somehow, there is a key near the spacer and if you hit while typing, it deletes everything. It happens way too often for my liking and I regard losing my posts as a big pet peeve of mine.

Anyway was just saying how this thread is how I found Dave's Garden originally. I am now the owner of five different Dyson vacs and heard about it here.

Also, not an hour ago I had my cleaning lady here and when she told me we were out of the mop pads, I told her that I wasn't going to continue purchasing them and I wanted her to b egin using the same micro fiber cloths that are used for dusting. How interesting that this thread was the first one listed when I opeded Dave's today. Very eerie. hahaha Anyway...good tips there Geraldine and June. Ya'll take good care.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

December 13, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8258922

I asked friends on facebook, and the Shark and the Dycem, were overall favorites, but a lot said to avoid Dycem. I searched the web, and the Shark came out the over all winner, so I got one, and love it. I have since given away my Dirt Devil, and the Kirby I spent a fortune for is next. The Shark is light weight, bagless, and does a great job. I've had it for 2 months and still have no complaints.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 18, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8266469

A couple of weeks ago my hubby purchased a Shark Hand Held Steam Cleaner for me. I bought it after reading the rave reviews I saw online. I wasn't too impressed with the job I did with it first, steaming the bathroom walls, but pulled it out one night when my son's work shirts came out of the dryer very wrinkled. I love it for steaming the wrinkles out of clothes. I was looking for other shirts to use it on. hahaha

Our household seems to be in a break down episode. The reason for buying a new steamer is that the one I purchased some years ago wouldn't operate when I tried using it. Last night my paper shredder died too. As we speak, my hubby is huffing and grunting while laying on the kitchen floor and replacing the faucet on the sink that began spraying everywhere yesterday. I guess it is true about when it rains, it pours. Hope nothing else happens that costs money for a while.

Still love my Dyson even though it is so powerful that it has torn some places in some carpet seams. I didn't realize that is what had done it until another friend mentioned her Dyson had torn some of her carpet seams too. Oh well, new carpeting is in the plans for the spring anyway.

Take care.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

December 18, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #8266528

Ruby, you have my sympathy. I know to well how upsetting it is, when the whole house decides to fall apart at the same time. It's even worse when it happens at Christmas. Mine went in September, the vacuum, the iron, and the hot water heater, then hubby's car decided to join in! Hope your rebellion ends with the faucet.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8266641

Eww, I had a winter when the heating system, hot water heater and the roof all decided to fail. Oh, and my car needed it's 100K mile work done: another 16hundred bucks... For the next several years; nothing! All of our fun money got to be spent on the yard and gardens ^_^
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 20, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #8268678

The new faucet is going to take some getting used to, but I truly love my new light weight shredder. I won't take as many sheets at once as the old one, but the old one was so heavy that I felt as though I were fighting a bear whenever I needed to empty the bin. Yeah, I hope that everything that is going to break has already done so and we can stop spending money.

Well, I am being paged to do a grand baby diaper change. Have a great day everyone.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

December 20, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #8269090

I was cleaning under the kitchen sink last light and it was wet. Turns out the ring that holds the drain pipe to the base of the sink was rusted through. Bought a new one, but can't get a tight seal, so the plumber is coming, and while he is at it, we ar having the faucets replaced, (there is a hole in the old ones, but I put plumbers cement on it, and wrapped it with tape, this has worked, but I figure since he is coming, lets get it fixed right). Hope nothing else in the house decides to fall apart.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8269753

I had five spare minutes before dinner last night so I emptied everything from under the main kitchen sink, cleaned the containers and the bottom (linoleum) and got everything back in less than the five minutes. Joy!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 21, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8270706

Isn't it amazing sometimes that our worst dreaded chores in actuality take very little time to perform. I cleaned and re-organized under my kitchen sink some weeks back but after John being under there over the weekend, I probably need to do a bit of re-arranging again. It is also how good performing little things such as straightening an area can make us feel too. The more things that get my attention around here, the better I feel about the place.

I think it was two evenings ago that my twenty year old son walked through and commented that the house looked really clean. I was amazed that he noticed, and was even more amazed that no one had dusted or vacuumed that particular day either.

Just another thing I needed to tell you gals about since I have been quite amazed with the results with it. My computer desk sits directly beside the main air vent to our heat pump apparatus. I often will glance over and see dust on the vent slots. It has been a pet peeve of sorts for several years. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a washable air filter with a ten year warranty with it instead of continuing to use the fiberglass ones that cost about a buck each month.

I am keeping a record of when I clean it. I installed in on 12-4-2010. On Friday the 17th, I looked and saw dust on the register cover and decided to check and see what the new filter looked like. Well, let me tell you, that sucker is really sucking the dust and dirt out of the air. It wasn't as dirty as some of the old type would be after a month, but after two weeks of use, it was ready to be hosed down in the bathtub. I suggest to anyone to try the types of filters if they have a need for them. With two dusty dogs in and out all day long, I need all the kinds of help that I can get.

In case no one has told you gals that you are doing a good job recently, let me be the first. You are doing a great job in getting your homes in good order. Good going.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

December 22, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #8272556

Well, got the pipe under the sink fixed! Apparently the washer that came with the o ring, was too big for my sink. Best part, since plumber is a family friend, he didn't charge us! This weekend's goal, top of refrig, and kitchen drawers. I have off for the holidays, but am on call, I already am pretty sure I will need to work 3-11 Christmas eve, but am hoping that's all. They are calling for snow over the weekend, which people around here totally freak over, and refuse to drive in. I'm from western PA, and if you didn't drive in snow,there, you were stuck at home all winter. This part of the state gets much less snow, and the people always act like 3 inches is reason to call off work. It drives me crazy. Hopefully they will show up this weekend, so I don't need to go in.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 26, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #8277204

Well, by the time I read this last message, the spoken of possibility of working or not has come and gone. Did you end up working Nurse? If you don't mind saying, what is your given name? Really great that you didn't have to pay high plumber fees. Those kind of friends are the kind to have. Really nice of him.

Let's hope that all of our household appliances and such take a vacation from breaking down and give us all a rest for a while.

I hope that the next week will be a good one for all and the upcoming new year will be a great one for each of us too.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

December 26, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #8277886

Ruby, My name is Tracie. , and so far I have escaped having to go into work. I still have 1 1/2 shifts of on call left. It ends Monday at 7, but if I make it to midnight tonight, I am probably off the hook. I have checked in once, and was called this morning at 4 AM, but was able to deal with the problem without going in. We have only had a dusting of snow so far, so hopefully everyone will make it in for night shift tonight. Unfortunately, my motivation has been nil this weekend, so I still have the kitchen to finish. I did go through the sharp knife drawer, but that's about it. My sister is coming Thursday, so that should motivate me some.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 29, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8282454

Hi Tracie - Thanks for letting me know your name. I like your name, one of my best buddies in high school was named Tracy. She used to ride to school with me each morning.

Well, a few days has now passed since you wrote your answer on Sunday. Hope that you didn't have to go in at all. Yeah, same dusting of snow fell here too even though all last week the weather stations were saying it would probably be a lot more than we got. Suits me just dandy. I love to see snow falling and the earth somehow just becomes quiet and it is really peaceful in the beginning. People such as yourself, being in the medical profession and having to travel in it often times is what is rather scary about snow and ice. Thankfully I no longer have to be at a job, so only have to travel when I want to.

I had a doctors appointment today and when coming back in our driveway I saw our house number post with greenery wound around it a big red ribbon at the top of it and realized that I must not have left home for several weeks now, because I hadn't seen it since my husband put it up. I did all my shopping some months back, I can get hubby to run to grocery store for the things we need, and other than a doctors appointment when it is really hot or really cold, or raining, I am able to stay snug inside.

I have a health issue that is very similar to Lupus but is much rarer. It is called Behcets Disease and it put me out on disability in the early 1990's. Thankfully, I am a lot healthier these days due a great deal because of not having to stress myself over working outside of the home. Any project I undertake has to be something that I can do when I am feeling well and not flaring.

Earlier today I spent a couple of hours washing more of the glassware that I decorate with. Everyone enters our home through a side porch entry which has the laundry room as the first a person enters. A two ledge shelf is full of oriental types of glassware pieces that are especially lovely. At least I have something pretty to look at while washing clothes, which I seem to do a lot of.

I am going to store the glassware in plastic bins for a while because I have plans to paint the shelves a different color and my husband will be laying peel and stick tile in there after the shelf is painted. Not sure when I will get started with the painting, but at least the glass will be safely stored away while I paint.

sorry to ramble on so much. Hope that you are doing well. Let me take this opportunity to wish you a very happy and prosperous new year. See you on the other clutter threads.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

December 29, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #8283010

Ruby, I was lucky and didn't have to go in to work. I had a couple calls, but was able to deal with them from home. Unfortunately, by Sunday, the sinus infection I was ignoring decided it was tired of being ignored. (was hoping if I ignored it, it would go away). Went to the doctor Monday eve and got an antibiotic. Already starting to feel much better.
Love the though of having the pretty glass s you enter your house. I live in half a double. The back yard is landlocked to the nieghbors so people come in through the front door. My husband perfers the living be in the middle room, because him and the daughters like to play video games and the middle room is darker, which they say is better. I much perfer to use the front room as a living room, but I seem to have lost this battle, as a result the front room contains the computer, a very large bookcase, and 2 curio cabinets. It also contans a treadmill at present, but I plan to have that moved upstairs soon. We have 3 bedrooms on the second floor, and only one child still at home. I don't know if you saw my post about this, but I plan on turning the small bedroom into a home gym room. I will put the treadmill in there along with a TV to watch while I use it, and I am hoping my daughter might let me put her Wii fit in there too. I don't like to use the treadmill downstairs with people watching me.
Now, I guess it's my turn to ramble. The more I unclutter, the more I get excited about the possiblities for the cleared space!.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 5, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8293616

Hi again Tracie. I have days when I am really excited about the new and improved house I am living in too. Oh gosh, sorry to hear about the sinus infection. I have them pretty much chronically and know that they can take a lot out of a person. A few weeks back I had a sinus infection and a Urinary Tract Infection at the same time. A few days after starting the antibiotic I realized that I had been more ill than I thought. I have felt pretty decent since then, but am having waking up issues in the morning. It seems to take me forever to become clear headed some days.

Today I plan to run the vacuum and so I don't have any grand plans for much more than that. It is not something I enjoy very much and try to have others do it for me whenever I can. A small project I have sitting waiting for me is my collection of greeting cards and Christmas cards. They have been in a desk drawer in a big mess and I plan to separate them in to categories in marked clear bags in order to know what I am looking for when I need to send one.

If I accomplish those two things today, I will be satisfied. If you are anything like me, we start one thing and have to address several other things in order to do the one thing we are thinking of. So, who knows what I will find myself in to today.

I enjoy chatting with you and hearing about your life in Pennsylvania. I hope that you will have a n ice day. Take care and be well.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
What about FLY LADY?!! Anybody follow her advice?!! tabasco 82 Aug 2, 2011 2:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America