Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Memory Garden: (lmelling) Lynne Mellinger

Communities > Forums > Memory Garden
bookmark
Forum: Memory GardenReplies: 163, Views: 1,845
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 23, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2064883

Lynne Mellinger, known within DG as lmelling

Lynne Mellinger, age 53, passed away Tuesday, February 21, 2006 with her family by her side.

Lynne's Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, March 4, at 2:00 p.m. at

The First Congregational Church
309 Highland Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850-2301

Survivors include her husband, Dave, a son, Brian, a daughter Krissy, many immediate and extended family members, along with numerous DG friends.

When Lynne learned of her cancer, she made this comment to a DG friend, and it shows what a fighter she was:

[quote]"You know, some people could look at what happened to me and take the view that it shouldn't happen...BUT...

I try to look at the total Journey... this experience has changed my life! I no longer look on the world with a jaundiced eye. My life is so full of friends, love, and good experiences over the last few months. I've never felt more cared for than I do now. Sure, things get me down occasionally, but it's usually the world - mans hatred and treatment of his/her fellow man that gets me, world events, catastrophes - not anything in my immediate sphere...

I truly believe that if we can live through something like this and come away having learned lifes experiences and have tried to cheer others along the way, then we've done something to help, not hinder, the world. I just try to let God direct me and not fight him... You can be whomever you want to be!"[/quote]

Lynne also started writing a booklet of her journey entitled "Choices". Although "Choices" is not available to be given away or sold at this time...we do have the introduction...

[quote]I have had the most amazing journey of my life that started with my diagnosis of stage 3-4b lung cancer in January of 2005. This booklet is about the journey and the choices I have made... In my treatment, how I choose to accept my illness, treat and interact with others, attitude, and so many other choices I’ve made. All these choices were made with thought, not in haste. Some were deliberate some were not. But all the choices I made served to bring me to this point in my life and treatments, as healthy, strong and serenely happy as I could possibly be. This has been a journey of light, of understanding of oneself, forgiveness, and becoming a whole person. It has never been about the illness...[/quote]

Lynne, lmelling, joined us on October 9, 2004 and was very active in our forums as well as helping share her knowledge with PlantFiles by adding over 30 plants, and hundreds of comments and photos.

In addition to posting frequently in the PlantFiles Pictures forum, her other favorite forums included wildlife, hydrangeas, and the prayer forum.

Lynne was also very active on the Golden Retriever Rescue of Central New York website. She was their webmaster, designed/produced t-shirts for online sales and other fund raising events. http://www.grrcny.org/

Lynne will be missed by many of us, and her strength and inspiration will remain in our memories forever. One of Lynne's DG friends summed it up perfectly...
[quote]In dying the Good Lord showed her the true meaning of living, which she shared with everyone.[/quote]

Thumbnail by Joan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2006
3:48 AM

Post #2064898

Joan,
THANK you so very much for doing this beautiful thing in Imellings honor. Her family is in my thoughts and prayers.
jlmmkm
Myrtle Beach, SC

February 23, 2006
4:21 AM

Post #2064960

Thank you Joan for helping Judy keep us informed. I appreciate all you both have done. God bless you both and keep you both safe. Love, Margo
God is good all of the time and He never makes mistakes. Our is never forget and to love each other without condition. Lynne set an excellent example of God's Love.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 23, 2006
4:41 AM

Post #2064985

Your comments are appreciated, and Lynne had become a very large part of my life and inspiration also. I'd like this thread to be about sharing our thoughts and remembrances of Lynne, as well as our feelings about losing a wonderful DG friend. In starting this thread, I am merely the messenger, no thanks are necessary. :)

Lynne touched my heart in a way I can't even explain. We found out she was sick shortly after I had lost my Mom to cancer, and while I was going through a scare of my own, as well as a scare with my daughter. Her words of inspiration and strength will forever be embedded in our minds and hearts. And, if in the future we learn bad news about our situations, we will remember her words of wisdom and they will carry us through.

Lynne, we love you still and forever.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2006
7:01 AM

Post #2065081

Lynne you are insuch a peaceful place now. I am not jealous you are with Jesus, I am jealous you are with Him and not with us. I would not bring you back here because you are finally at peace (no more pain). Time was short with you my friend, but not to short to learn so much about you.

We learned no matter how sick you were, you thought more of praying for each one of us, than yourself. We learned of your unconditional love. We learned how to grab life and hang on no matter what. We learned complete strangers can become close family. We learned not to give up. We learned it is ok to wear red thongs on your head when they don't look good anywhere else. We learned how to make cranes. You taught us courage, and you showed us no matter what we can face things head on and Live, Love, and Laugh.

We will always love you. Thank you for being such a big part of lives.

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

February 23, 2006
9:28 AM

Post #2065141

I was going to ask you , lmelling, about some Hydrangea. I am a bit late,I am sure you are ok now,boots
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 23, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2065771

I wanted to share another e-mail I got from Lynne last year, I had asked her how she was doing...if anyone is wondering how Lynne felt about all of this, here it is...it feels good to know that she was not afraid. The last paragraph says everything you need to know about Lynne. I know Lynne would not mind me sharing...

"Oh Sweetie...Lynne is doing just fine!
I've told my husband that I'm not afraid to die. I walked away from an accident in '98 where my van was t-boned by a driver at high speed. I should have been killed...or at least badly injured, but I walked away with a bump to the head. Ever since then I've lost the fear of death. I don't want to die, but I'm no longer afraid...

We never know when our time will come but we need to make peace with ourselves and with God - What is tough is that those left behind who love that person are left with an emptiness that is hard to fathom and fill. I hope I can always be here, for both of you! All we can do - any of us... is enjoy each other and the time we have. Cherish all the moments we can beg, borrow or steal and be thankful for them."
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2006
6:27 PM

Post #2066042

Krissy, Lynne's Daughter, ask that I post the below

[quote]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:28 AM
Subject: lynne

This is Lynne's daughter Krissy. Thank you to everyone for making my mother smile as you all did. The friends she made here and the love she felt from everyone made her journey so much more beautiful and she found hope courage and will through your words. She was my best friend, an amazing mother, my teacher, and one of my soul mates... as I believe. I am so blessed to have been loved by her, and I can see I'm not the only one who shares that feeling. She was laughing all the way up until the end, making jokes, exuding joy, laughter, and peace.

The family held her as she made her transition and peace blanketed her. We cherished her, as you all have.

Again, I thank you so much for all the compassion, love, and friendship that surrounded her through this journey.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around"
- Leo Buscalia

[/quote]
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2006
1:14 AM

Post #2066834

link to Lynne's obituary. There is a beautiful picture of her with a heart warming smile. She was a very loving, caring person and she will be missed by many.

http://miva.pressconnects.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva/ithndetail.mv?ARCID=168&speak=mellinger&fyear=06
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 24, 2006
4:03 AM

Post #2067164

Beautiful picture of Lynne, thanks pp. Still hard to beleive.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2006
4:47 AM

Post #2067208

she is now free from the pain and looking down smiling at us all..now there is another gardening Angel in heaven..it will be wonderful to welcome her daughter to Daves..

Twyla
cmalon
Worden, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2006
2:23 PM

Post #2067588

And if I go while you are still here...
Know that I still live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
Behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me,
so you must have faith.

I wait the time when we can soar together again,
both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest.
And when you need me,
just whisper my name in your heart,
...I will be there.
Written by Colleen Hitchcock

Early this morning when I was up I looked at the crescent moon and close by was the brightest star...and I saw your beautiful smile shining down on me. I can't say goodbye so I will say a simple "See Ya."

Forever in my heart,
Cindy
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2006
2:35 PM

Post #2067616

I am truly at a loss for words. I can't say enough about Lynne and how she helped me through my bout with cancer. She was there for me and I feel the loss tremendously.

I will never forget you Lynne.

Cindy
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2006
3:13 PM

Post #2067752

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful person!

Jo
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 24, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2067863

Beautiful Cindy. See ya, Lynne.
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2067891

I found this poem and thought, this sounds like the kind of person that Lynne was.

THIS BE OUR CREED

Each day let’s do a golden deed,
Some kindness show to one in need;
Let’s try to lend a helping hand,
A listening ear to understand.

Let’s try to spread some sunshine where
We see a brother bent with care.
With loving thought and friendly smile
Let’s strive to make each day worthwhile.

Let’s try to cheer some lonely heart
With hope and gladness we impart.
Just little things can mean so much—
A card, a call to keep in touch.
May every kindness that we do
Reflect our Lord’s love shining through.

If you and I will live this creed,
Each day to do a golden deed,
We can make sunny skies from gray,
Make flowers bloom along the way.
Let’s try -- let’s pray so we might say:
“This be our creed” each passing day.

Beverly J. Anderson

This message was edited Feb 24, 2006 5:24 PM
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2006
6:05 AM

Post #2069813

Cindy that was lovely and so fitting for our dear friend.

PurplePetunia she would love if all of us would live by that creed.

I got this in an email from Lynne soon after I "met" her through a mistakenly sent email.

I am dancing like no one is watching, working like I don't need the money, laughing like it is the best joke I have ever heard, loving like I have never been hurt, and living every day to the fullest because it might be my last and every day is a blessing from God!

Lynne I will never forget the laughs we had, the love we shared, the emails we sent, the several times we chatted in the phone, the incredible spirit you showed all of us and the honor I felt when you told me you considered me one of your best friends. Because of you I am a much better human being and will try to live up to your love of me.

See ya my dear friend Lynne.
Many hugs and love,
Lani

eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
1:33 PM

Post #2072454

Peace. love, and blessings to all left behind...just know that she is there helping to make ready the way for all she loved.

"eyes"

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2072463

I guess I needed a good cry. Somehow I missed the notice about Lynne until now, but she touched me as she touched so many of us here on DG, and surely all the others in her life.

She will be missed, but waiting.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 26, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2072782

No doubt with open arms, Darius.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2006
12:15 AM

Post #2073795

My deepest sympathies are with Lynne's family and friends.
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

February 28, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2077760

Hello everyone,
This is Lynne's daughter, Krissy. Thank you all so much for the kindness and love I found through your words. Seeing how much my mother touched you all reminds me of the connection we had. Tears flow in joy... and saddness of missing her, but she is still with me... and all of you. Meeting all of you changed the course of her journey and gave her such peace. She used to share all of her messages with me, and the smile on her face said it all. So you know, I am pushing forward with her book Choices. I promised her I'd finish the project. We are awaiting releases and a publisher, and I will let you know when its ready. It will be awhile. I am now a member on Dave's Garden, and in the absence of my mother's gardening advice, I hope I can rely on some of you for some good ideas. Thank you,
Krissy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2077859

Krissy, Thank You for joining us here, and for sharing the sentiments your mother felt. I know we all await the finished project of her book.

Here's part of the lyrics from a song for you
[quote] I've been scraping little shavings
off my ration of light
and I've formed it into a ball
and each time I pack a bit more onto it
and I make a bowl of my hands and
I scoop it from its secret cache
under a loose board in the floor
and I blow across it and I send it to you
against those moments when the darkness
blows under your door. [/quote]

It's from Isn't That What Friends Are For Lyrics by Bruce Cockburn
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 28, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2077863

Oh, Krissy, welcome to Dave's Garden. I am so glad your going forward with your mom's book. You always sounded like a wonderful daughter and now I know you are a wonderful daughter. I loved your mom and look forward to getting to know you. I'll be thinking of you and your family on the 4th.
It was my pleasure to have Lynne in my life.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2077949

Krissy, welcome to DG sorry it was under these circumstances. I first met your mom in PlantFiles help desk. She seemed to really enjoy working in PF when she was able. She was a sweet wonderful person. I miss her as we all do. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on the book.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2078087

We are so glad you're here...we know what a loss you have had, but continuing her work on the book will be rewarding for you...as well as all who knew her. Welcome to our Garden...she is just in a better Garden. Jo
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 1, 2006
12:16 AM

Post #2078109

Dear Krissy,

It's so good to "meet" you. I am so sorry for your loss; your mom was such a wonderful person. I have thought of her daily, since I first saw the posting for her in "Prayer Requests." Her posts always brought me a smile, and she was so giving of herself. What a legacy she has left.

When she told us she had started Choices, I could sense an elation in her by the messages she posted here; nothing she wrote, but just a feeling. She sent me a copy after her second draft was finished. I am so happy to hear you are going forward with it.

You and your family will continue to be in my prayers as you finish your mom's book.

God bless,
Jody
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2006
12:26 AM

Post #2078129

Krissy,

What a tribute to Lynn, that you have joined DG.

We are all hugging you close to our hearts.

Judy
jlmmkm
Myrtle Beach, SC

March 1, 2006
12:40 AM

Post #2078165

Welcome Krissy. I am so glad you have joined us here at Dave's. God bless you and your family and keep you all safe, Love, Margo
cmalon
Worden, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2006
6:02 PM

Post #2079685

Hello Krissy,
Welcome to Dave's. So this is "Sarge's" daughter. Many a time your mother had to be the Sarge or I don't think I would have made it. I cannot express in words how sorry I am for you and your family's loss. I hope your dad is doing OK? "My angel" is what I called your mother. She was something very special. She brought me back from the lowest of lows too many times to count last year, and for that I could never thank her enough. One of a kind, very special, caring lady. I will miss her tremendously. She is solid in my heart.

So glad you joined Dave's. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your artwork, hint, hint :o). Your mom was so proud.
Hugs,
Cindy
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2080269

Krissy welcome .. so great your a member to.. we all cared so much for your mother she was a joy to us all..

Twyla
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #2080311

Krissy, welcome to Dave's Garden. I loved and respected your mother so much. I feel honored to have known her. She blessed all who came across her path.

Cathy
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2006
3:45 PM

Post #2081396

Krissy, thanks for following in your moms footsteps, to Daves Garden. Your mom was a real inspiration, as well as a source of strength. I was always anxious to see her posts and concerned when she didn't post for a few days, because I knew she wasn't feeling up to it. She fought a good fight and she has traveled the road to a heavenly garden. Hope someone will be able to care for her plants.

We will be looking forward to your posts.
Chris
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2082850

Krissy,

Welcome to DG!!! Your mother spoke so highly of you. She is so proud of her family. She is such a Blessing to all of us. We love her and cherish her... and always will... just from afar now... If you ever have a question or need any help... I would be glad to help in any way I can. I am so glad you joined us.

Lynne, I miss your emails! I miss your smile that came through in all your messages. I miss your spirit and encouragement... I am so sorry for all of us here on earth that go on without your pushy self to get us through when the road is bumpy... But most of all ... I am glad and happy that you are without pain, that you can wear your red thongs and your red hats and dance with abandonment... I am glad you can garden with strength and vigor... I am so tickled knowing you can touch the face of our Maker... (please put in a good word for me) ... I bet you had a heck of a party waiting on you when you got home... All this and more... and Yes! I can hear your laughter... it echo's on the wind... but still I weep...
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2114858

Krissy, Welcome to DG. In just a few short months I became as close to your mother as I have ever been to any friend. She will be missed greatly in my life and was a remarkable influence to many. I am now living like I might die in the next hour or day.

I saw this in the newspaper (Idaho Statesman, March 5, 2006) and knew your Mom would love this story and poem. This little boy's name is Izeyah Yenter and he was a student at Spaulding Elementary School in Idaho last year ( third grader). He wrote this poem and it was entered in a contest of the PTA in the area called the Reflections program. Sadly he died January 28, 2006 16 months after his diagnosis of an inoperable brain tumor. One month after he died his poem was selected for the contest. He had found out the day before he died that his poem had won a the district level and managed a smile. It is now at national level being judged against all other in his age group at the national level. I think it sums up a lot of our own feelings about Lynne and her purpose this past year.

"I Wonder Why"
by Iseyah Yenter

I wonder why He chose me,
A cell growing out of control so rapidly.
A tumor on my brainstem that nobody could see.
A year to live, it just can't be.
There are so many things that I still want to be,
I wonder why He chose me.
Hospitals, doctors, MRI scans, and shots,
the pills I can swallow, the Thick-It I can not.
I wonder why He chose me.
To teach me and the world that only He holds the key,
To miracles, cures, blessings, and love,
God holds the keys to all of the above.
I no longer wonder why He chose me,
I live everyday as if it is my last
and be the best that I can be.

Thank you to Lynne and Izeyah and all the other people in our lives who have brought us to the reality that life is too short and yet too long and we must live as if we are dying. It is all in our Choices.
Lani
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

March 15, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2114930

That is so touching Lani, brought tears to my eyes. I hope that Krissy will join us here and be the common denominator that her mom was. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the Lord for allowing me to know Lynne.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
4:20 PM

Post #2118805

It hurts so bad to think Lynne is not here with us anymore. I followed her threads and encouraged her, but not as much as she did me. Her first posts she was contemplating not having radiation or chemo.

We laughed about wearing red thongs on our heads as none of us had the figure for wearing them where they belong. Things of silliness and of seriousness.

Krissy I hope you take the time to read the threads as she talked so much about you. I hope you are doing well. I know it has to be very hard. I lost my mom 22 years ago today. I did not have the relationship you and your mom had as my mom was a very bitter person. Your mom had more love in her little finger than most people will experience in a lifetime. She had the heart of God.

We love you sweetie. I you need anything just ask and we will do our best to do it.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

March 20, 2006
6:02 PM

Post #2125681

Hello all...
I haven't written in awhile... just gathering myself and healing. I've been taking it slow... soaking up the sky, the beautiful moonscapes and sunsets we've been having here in PA... and feeling. The family is doing well. We are all as resilient as mom was, but it does take a bit to get used to this new order in life. Mom's service was wonderful. My brother and I both delivered eulogies... if anyone wants to read it I can try to somehow get it up here or a link or something... I'm just not as computer savvy as my mother was!!!!! I thank all of you and your continued support. I couldn't find all my mother's threads so if anyone could help, I'd love it.
Good News...
We were waiting on permission from a record company to use the song title " Live like you were dying" in mom's book and we just got it... so we can keep on truckin!!! It's wonderful news. I'll keep you posted.
I live on a farm and have been clearing the land for my veggie garden and for planting flowers. It's a mess right now so it should be ready shortly.
Thanks for the poem, Lani... Humbles us all.
Until later,
Krissy
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2006
7:54 PM

Post #2125943

Hi Krissy,

It's good to hear from you, I am so thankful that the service was beautiful. I have the blessing of rememberig the beautiful services for my parents.

Glad you are healing and adjusting. I know what a rearrangement of your lives it is when someone is gone, but you have the assurance that you will all meet again. That is such a miraculous promise, isn't it?

I would like to read your mom's memorial service if you can find a way to post it. I would also like to have a copy of Lynne's completed book when it is ready. Please let me know by Dmail or by posting on a thread.

God's continued blessings and love for you and yours,
Cathy
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2126259

Hi krissy, I think this link might help to find all you Mom's Post's!

http://davesgarden.com/members/lmelling

When Lynn's book is complete it will be a BEST SELLER here at Dave's Garden!

sue
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

March 28, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #2145539

Krissy, please keep us posted as to how you and your family are doing. Not a day goes by that I don't think sweet thoughts of your wonderful mama. God, I miss her.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

May 5, 2006
2:22 AM

Post #2249781

Still think of Lynne everday and know that she is with us here at Dave's..I'll never forget Lynne.
Krissy, I hope you're doing well, my love to you and your family.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

May 16, 2006
7:48 PM

Post #2286204

Wondering about Lynne's family on this first Mother's Day without her. Happy Mother's Day in Heaven my dear friend.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2006
9:18 AM

Post #2288271

Lynne, You are dearly missed. I pray your family on their journey here without you physically by their side, only remembrance of the good times. And very clear and vivid ones.

You and your family are dearly loved. I can here Jesus chuckle when he sees you and you and he speak of our funny times of our red thongs on our heads.

Love you dearly my sweet sweet friend.

Sandy ^8^
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

May 20, 2006
8:57 PM

Post #2300523

Hello everyone,
I haven't written in awhile as life is rapidly moving these days. Mother's day was tough for me. I had intended to plant some flowers that day and honor my mother, but things got in the way of that!!!! I was returning from a walk and noticed a sheep lying down in the field. ( I live on a farm and am surrounded by sheep, horses, and cows) This struck me as odd, being that it was all alone. So, I went over to the sheep and found that it had just had babies. Unfortunately, one did not survive, but the other, I picked up to keep warm and we helped the momma to her feet and now momma and baby are doing fine!!!!! How appropriate on Mother's day. Now there are 6 little lambs from other momma's and we're hoping they all survive.
The family's holding up, and we're getting ready to go to the Grand Canyon in June to spread my mom's ashes. We all miss her so, and are continuing on with her soul in our hearts.
I'm changing jobs currently. I've been doing counseling in behavioral health and drug and alcohol and am moving into a position in prevention that is much closer to home (I've been commuting an hour for the last 9 months!!!) I'm also gearing up for grad school hopefully in January in psych or counseling. Still need time to rest and process!!! I hope you are all well and I send out my love.
The book is slow going right now, and I'll keep you updated.
Krissy
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

May 20, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2300609

Krissy,
What a wonderful Mother's Day story! I'm happy to hear from you and you are always in my heart. Congrats on the new job, we're all so proud of you.
Hugs and kisses.
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #2300944

Hugs and prayers for you.
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #2301242

Krissy, it is so good to hear from you. I'm glad you are all doing well. Congratulations on your new job! I remember the first Mother's day after my mom passed away...the loneliness I felt. It hurts less as time goes by, dear one, and you have the promise that you will see her again.l

God's blessings on you and yours.

Cathy

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2006
5:32 PM

Post #2319422

Krissy,
You are very strong, I can tell by what you typed. You are like your mom. She was a gift from Jesus to me. The encouragement she spread was beyond words and yet she herself needed encouragement. It blew me away how she ministered to us. I remember a post I made when I was weak and she posted for me to be strong and she was praying.

My only regret is I could not make up my mind on a picture for her to paint after I lost my little Doxie. Could not decide what besides her I wanted in it or just her. I would have loved a piece of her art. Even a moble I would have cherished.

I love your mom so much and still think of her alot. I talked about her at the round up with tears in my eyes. Your are a sweet person just like your mom.

Blessings to you and your family.

Sandy ^8^
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

July 30, 2006
3:50 PM

Post #2566615

Thinking of Lynne's family and hoping things are getting easier for them. I miss you Lynne.
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #2566658

Louise I've been thinking about her family too. She was a really great lady. Krissy, are you still here on DG? Please let us know how all of you are and what you are doing.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2006
5:12 PM

Post #2566883

Yes Lynne is always on my mind and in my heart. I really miss her. She was strength for alot of us when we needed it. She was always a ray of sunshine in a red thong.

You are loved Lynne and sadly missed.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #2568757

I have been thinking about Lynne a lot lately, too. I almost posted a few days ago, but didn't.

Krissy, how are things coming with Choices?
cmalon
Worden, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2006
1:40 AM

Post #2572821

In my heart forever...
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2006
2:54 AM

Post #2573096

To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die. Always with us Lynne and we miss your words, but we know we will see you again one day and your waiting on the banks of Jordan for us.

Lovingly,
Kathy
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2006
5:00 AM

Post #2581518

One year ago today I got a reply email from Lynne to an email I had sent another DG member who hadn't removed my email addy. We three got a great laugh out of this and Lynne and I very quickly became great friends.

Lynne was a delightful person with so much love to give everyone and her wisdom, wit and was incredible.

She is not gone but in our hearts and minds forever.

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 3, 2006
5:43 AM

Post #2581638

Yes, Lynne and her courage will never be forgotten. I never met her but always considered her a good friend...she always replied to my d-mails no matter what she was going through...I'll never forget her unselfishness.
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2006
8:40 AM

Post #2630882

This was Lynne's song as she called it the day she was headed home after the news that she had stage 4 lung cancer. She wanted to live like this and did as well as she could her last few months. I know she would love to have this posted here. I pray for her family.

Title : Live Like You Were Dying

Artist : Tim McGraw

Album : Live Like You Were Dying

He said I was in my early forties
with a lot of life before me
when a moment came that stopped me on a dime
and I spent most of the next days
looking at the x-rays
Talking bout the options
and talking bout sweet time
I asked him when it sank in
that this might really be the real end
how’s it hit you when you get that kinda news
man what’d you do

and he said
I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named fumanchu
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I’d been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.

He said I was finally the husband
that most the time I wasn’t
and I became a friend a friend would like to have
and all the sudden going fishin
wasn’t such an imposition
and I went three times that year I lost my dad
well I finally read the good book
and I took a good long hard look
at what I’d do if I could do it all again

and then
I went sky diving
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I’d been denying

Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about
what’d you do with it what did you do with it
what did I do with it
what would I do with it?

Sky diving
and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I watched an eagle as it was flying
To live like you were dying

lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

August 23, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2651586

Hello all,
August 21st was 6 months since my mom passed. Doesn't seem like it could possibly be that long but time just has a way of keeping moving. Choices is moving slowly do to me. I just find it tough to get it going. It's mostly edited and I just have to get it right and get moving! The family's healing; we have our ups and downs. It's just so hard because we are all so far apart and very busy. We are all getting together for labor day weekend including my family from Indiana, and I am going to continue mom and I's tradition at the Ellis Hollow Fair. Unfortunetly, no one picked up the dried flower booth so this will be the first year in awhile that it's not there. I'd ALWAYS come up the second weekend in September and help her that day... standing in a booth surrounded by all the beautiful arrangements she'd made and others that community members donated. I'll miss that tremendously, but I know her spirit will be with me. Thanks for the song... It always makes me cry. And she did live it well.
Krissy
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 23, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #2651598

6 months, my gosh. Krissy my heart goes out to you and your mom would be so proud of you. That's too bad that the dried flower booth won't be there but you're right, your mom's spirit is there. Hugs and kisses. Thanks for keeping in touch with us. Your mom was a one in a million.
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2006
5:09 PM

Post #2651811

Krissy, I am glad you liked the song. I know your Mom loved it as much as I did when we got to chatting by email. She and I had fun planning what we would do whenever we got to meet face to face and several of the things were stuff neither of us had ever done before. Good thing we lived far apart as we could have been dangerous putting our heads together for a fun day. LOL

Hugs for you and your family,
Lani.
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2006
11:45 PM

Post #2656360

It's so good hearing from you. Thanks for posting. My mom was my constant companion at flea markets, garage sales, garden centers and Labor Day swappers' day festivities. I still miss her so but I usually go alone now and feel as if she were with me.

I'm glad your family is healing and that all of you are going to get together.

Hope to hear from you soon. God bless you and yours.

Cathy
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2006
12:31 AM

Post #2662775

Krissy, It is so good to hear from you. Glad that y'all are doing ok. I am sure your Mom's spirit is with you often if not always... What an unforgettable, amazing woman! I will never forget her and the emails we shared. I will never forget her undaunted spirit and the awesome example she set for all of us in the face of such adversity. She was and is so proud of you. Hugs, Prayers and Blessings, Starr
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2006
10:10 PM

Post #2688271

A present from Lynne today...

Hardy Water Lily, Waterlily 'Perry's Wildfire'
By lmelling on Oct 28, 2004

was the Random Fun Plant Picture earlier today.

Judy

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 7:39 PM
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 3, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2688283

Thanks for pointing that out Judy. I got to see it before the photo changed. :)

In case the photo has changed and someone wants to see it, here's the link to the PF page. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/50862/

lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

September 22, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2748710

Thanks for the link to the pic... My mom loved to take photos... almost to the point of my father's frustration!!!!! We have tons of pictures of nature wherever they traveled. I remember teaching her the basics of photography ( that's one of my specialties ) and it was so fun to teach her... it's always fun for a child to teach their parent something... and also she was just so much fun to be around. My dad's struggling to keep up the garden, but doing well with it, but I'll help him out and keep it going. The fair was very emotional... we all felt it. So we indulged in home baked pies and bbq chicken (and maybe a brownie or 2!!!) and we made it through. Thanks for all the love and support.
Krissy
cmalon
Worden, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2006
3:39 PM

Post #2748845

Oh Krissy, I can't tell you enough just how much I miss your mom.

Cindy
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

September 22, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2748995

So good to hear from you Krissy. Keep us posted as to how you're doing and how things are going for you. Thinking of you and missing your mom also.
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #2750884

Good to hear from you Krissy. Your mom would be so proud of how brave you all are. We love to hear from you and your updates... Your Mom will never be forgotten here. I still have some her emails I kept to reread ... I miss her... Much Love and Hugs to you and to yours... Starr
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2006
9:03 AM

Post #2994921

Tomorrow 12/14 is Lynne's birthday please join me in "lighting a candle".

For centuries, in almost every religious and secular culture, lighting candles has been a symbol of hope and remembrance. Tomorrow from 7 PM until 8 PM a special candle will burn in remembrance of Lynne, please join me.

Judy

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 11:43 AM
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 13, 2006
5:39 PM

Post #2995950

I will be joining you in lighting a candle in remembrance of a wonderful lady. Thanks for doing this Judy. (Does the time difference matter?)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #2995965

If we light them when it's 7 PM in each of our zones, the light will move from coast to coast and last longer.

Judy
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 13, 2006
5:48 PM

Post #2995968

Good point Judy. Ok, mine will be lit between 7 and 8.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

December 13, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #2996039

Count on a candle being lit at my house too. What a great idea.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 13, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2996393

I will be out Christmas Caroling with our church; I think of her while I'm singing. Today is my mom's birthday, too. Mom passed away June 22nd of this year. We're going to turn our Christmas lights on tonight.
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2006
9:10 PM

Post #2996426

as I do every night i will light candles but tomorrow they will be lit in Lynne's honor and memory.

Anne
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

December 13, 2006
10:07 PM

Post #2996557

My candle will be lit in honour of our Lynne.
Dianne
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2006
11:54 PM

Post #2996902

There will be a glowing candle tomorrow evening here also. Judy, what a beautiful thing to say...the light will move from coast to coast and last longer.

Cathy
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2997561

I will light a candle for her in mountain time zone. She was such a dear person.

Lani
cmalon
Worden, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #2998350

I will be lighting one too.
Cindy
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2006
3:23 PM

Post #2998501

wonderful way to do this.. in remembrance. will also.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2006
6:14 PM

Post #2998913

I will join Lani in letting the light shine in Mountain Time also!! Jo
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2999345

candle already burning here! thinking of Lynne now and what wonderful friends she had here you are all so nice to keep her memory alive

Anne
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 14, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2999347

Will be lighting mine in a few hours...hopefully she'll see our lights and know just how much she meant to all of us. Sure do miss her.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2999373

Candle is already burning here also, and will remain lit until I go to bed.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 14, 2006
9:54 PM

Post #2999375

I just realized that Lynne's birthday is listed on the home page where all the members' birthdays are listed.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

December 14, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2999656

My candle is lit and burning and if you all don't mind am going to let it burn a few hours more - just like Lynne did her life. Man oh man I miss that gal!!!
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 15, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2999674

My first candle is burning will keep lighting more as the night goes on. May our lights illuminate all the way to Heaven, may our Lynne see our lights.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

December 15, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2999685

She'll see them Louise... our Lynne will see them!!!
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2999692

lit 3 more just to give a better glow you guys are wonderful keeping her memory here and alive she was a lucky woman to have you all. As you all were to be touched by her in your life!

I am gonna light one for the group here and all the goodwill they share.

Anne
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 15, 2006
12:07 AM

Post #2999695

I know she will, Dianne, that's our Lynne! She's smiling down on us and wondering why we're making a fuss! I was going through old threads today and came across one which had her picture when she had no hair, but she's smiling anyway. I sure loved her.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 15, 2006
12:09 AM

Post #2999698

Awwwwww, Anne, that's so sweet, I'll be lighting one every hour from here until I go to sleep.
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2006
12:12 AM

Post #2999711

I am here because of you Weegy your love for Lynne and your big heart and the stories you told made me want to honor her. I treasure your friendship and all the wonderful people here let's keep this feeling of love through the holidays and beyond. It sure makes me feel warm.

Anne
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 15, 2006
12:23 AM

Post #2999753

AWWWWWWWW, ok you brought tears to my eyes. I love you girl.
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

December 27, 2006
2:16 AM

Post #3027191

All your thoughts and prayers comfort me. I am so honored to know you all took the time to honor my mother's spirit. She is with me constantly and even still has her sense of humor. This holiday was very different and she was missed, and as she would have... we go on. Thank you for touching me with your kindness and love.
Love and peace to you all,
Krissy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2006
2:54 AM

Post #3027271

Krissy,

Hugs,

Judy
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #3027350

When I light a candle now I always think f her...and I light candles everynight!
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 27, 2006
4:11 AM

Post #3027448

Krissy,
Your mom will always and forever be in my heart. She touched us so much. She brought so many people together and I will forever be grateful to her. Thinking of you and your family always.
Mags, what a touching post.
Lynne was definitely a one of a kind and I was very honored to have her as my friend.
Love you Lynne.
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

December 28, 2006
7:02 PM

Post #3031221

Ladies,
I am sending this message out to anyone who might be able to help with finding a source to publish my mother's book, Choices. I've been researching, and haven't come up with much due to the fact she wanted it to be a free publication distributed to those living with cancer and their family and friends. If any of you have any information that will help me in this pursuit, I would greatly appreciate it. We may end up setting up a website with a version for printing but I would also like to publish in print form. Thank you to all of you. Everytime I come back here, I'm reminded of how beautiful my mother was, and that she is shared by so many. I send all of you warm holiday hugs at the close of this year.

Krissy
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2006
7:10 PM

Post #3031240

Krissy I'm sorry I can't help you with an answer. I am anxious to have the completed booklet...I have a partial version and it is beautiful. Your mama was one in a million and such an inspiration.

Cathy
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

December 28, 2006
7:50 PM

Post #3031341

I wish I could help you Krissy but I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm almost positive you'll find the help you need here on Dave's.
It was my pleasure to have known your mom, even though we never met, I feel like we did. She was indeed a one in a million, Cathy. She'll always be remembered and thought of and I know we'll meet one day.
Hugs to you and your family Krissy.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 28, 2006
8:20 PM

Post #3031412

I would speak to someone at the American Cancer Society; they may be able to help. If I think of anything, I'll get back to you.

Good luck!

Jody
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2006
8:32 PM

Post #3031436

Krissy,

I don't have any ideas but will put my mind to it, meanwhile Good Luck.

Judy
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #3032265

Write to Oprah Winfrey with your story, Krissy. She has done so much good, don't leave any stone unturned :) Good luck, Kathy
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #3032620

not to step out on a wire here but if it is already written send it to publishing houses. Or Readers Digest to start. May help get it out there .

My Father is the director of a cancer support group here in town I bet they may know of some way to at least get her message out ! It is the Hopewell Center here in Maryland.

dmail me

Anne
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2006
7:17 AM

Post #3032802

Lynne honored me with her friendship at a time when I really needed a friend and she did too. She was so honest and forthcoming in our emails to each other and we laughed and cried together through all her trials and mine. We both tried to be upbeat but we both knew that her time might come sooner than later but she went on as though she still had years to live here on earth. She was and always will be one of my best friends of my life and I know that we will meet again.

Krissy, I am thinking also of Oprah or the Bill Gates Foundation for the funding to print and distribute her book. I would be willing to distribute it in my area free of charge to your family if it is made available. Have you contacted the American Cancer Society or any of the other main cancer help groups or foundations?

Lani
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3142941

On 2/21/2007 it will be a year since Lynne left us... please join me in "lighting a candle".

For centuries, in almost every religious and secular culture, lighting candles has been a symbol of hope and remembrance. On 2/21 At 7 PM a special candle will be burned in remembrance of Lynne.

She reached out to several DGers in need of a friend some of these people are still dealing with their problems. If they join us in "lighting a candle" perhaps they will recall the text of the emails they shared with Lynne and maybe her words will lead the way to resolution.

Please join me in "lighting a candle" regardless of where you live. In my mind I see candles first glowing on the East Coast and every hour afterward as the clocks in the different zones reach 7 PM another group of candles, helps to light the way.

Judy

This message was edited Feb 10, 2007 1:39 PM
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

January 31, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3143326

Count me in for sure. Every time I light a candle I think of Lynne.
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3143747

Great idea Judy. Count me in.

Cathy
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

February 1, 2007
11:30 AM

Post #3144822

I'm be lighting a candle for sure. Cont me in.
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3145211

Count me in too but please remind us on the morning of the 21st.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #3175323

I thought I would bump this up, perhaps more than the 5 of us will light candles for Lynne

Judy

This message was edited Feb 10, 2007 1:33 PM
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #3175339

I've got it marked. Since Lynn passed away and her daughter hardly ever posts here, Judy, maybe a lot of folks don't have this thread on their Watch Thread list. Did you post this request anywhere else?

I'm having computer problems and it takes forever (sometimes 10 minutes) to get into any forums at Dave's so I only visit the threads on my Watch List. Otherwise I would lurking all over the place. I miss seeing how everyone is and what they are up to. Lol.

Cathy
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3175385

I'm still here, I just don't always post. I'm watching and will definitely light candles for Lynn on Feb 21st.

I hope someone bumps this thread that afternoon so I don't forget.
orkidlady
Drumheller, AB
(Zone 2a)

February 10, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3175409

Hi JoanJ...

Oh that is the most touching story I have ever heard and thank you for sharing it. I never knew her but I hope that I can learn how to live thru her dying. I wish her book was available to purchase. Such wisdom in her words!

Wow!!! And we all think we are so hard done by...I have much to learn.

Love to you too Krissy!!!

Joanne
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3175476

I just now posted a thread on the prayer forum.

Judy

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 11, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3176918

Judy
Thank you so much for posting on the prayer forum. I didn't know about her birthday candles but will light one on the 21st. She gave me a copy of her book, and I read it often. She was a very brave and sweet person. I still have Emails from her that I've saved. Thank you again for posting.
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3198591

Bumping this up to remind all of us, this is only 4 days away.

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3208291

weegy12, IO1, JanetS, stownes, garden6, HERBIE43, Ponditis, marieortiz, hope43, JoanJ, Lotusblossom, lizh, Kidneyguy,

Tomorrow night I will join you in lighting a candle in remembrance of Lynne

Thank you for being her friend.

Judy
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 20, 2007
4:48 PM

Post #3208400

Believe me, it's my honor and pleasure for being Lynne's friend, Judy.
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3208457

count me in for lighting a candle
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3208462

magoobu

Thank you for joining us.

Judy
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 20, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #3208550

I have my candles ready. They are ones that I received as a gift and I consider them special. I'm lighting them for Lynn, because she was so special. :)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3208636

I sent Krissy a dmail 4 or 5 days ago telling her about the candle lighting. I hope a notification of a dmail is sent to her by DG so she can join us.

Judy

Krissy, If you are still having trouble finding a way to publish Choices, I would like to offer to put it on my website with code which would prevent it from being copied and have a link so that people could make donations to "whatever organization" you wish. That is as close to publication as I could come. My website gets 600-800 hits per day so just maybe it will be noticed by the powers that be and they will request permission from your family to print it.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 20, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3208717

Oh Judy that's so sweet. It deserves to be published. It's a wonderful book and has helped me many times. I go back and read and reread it many many times. I didn't know Lyn as well as many of you did as I was new back then, but she was kind to me. I have a copy of her book and some Emails. I too am honored to light a candle for her. I'm also saying prayers for all my DG friends who are battling cancer right now. I love and pray for each and every one of you.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 20, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3208998

I would love to buy a copy, so I hope someone publishes it.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

February 21, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3209747

Ready for this celebration of love and respect tomorrow night for our friend Lynne.
Dianne
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3211646

Bumping this thread up one final time to remind everyone that, tonight is the night to honor Lynne.

Judy
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 21, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #3211688

One year ago today...sigh... :(
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 21, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3211701

Yup, big sigh here too.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 21, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3211703

Have my candle ready and my clock set. Will be remembering her, her family and all those who are fighting this fight now. God bless.
... Elaine
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3211944

I'm ready too.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3212818

Several people have posted on the prayer forum.

I just lit my candle as have others.

Judy
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #3212836

I didn't know Lynne, but I just lit a candle for her.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3212892

mgh,

Thanks from all of us who knew her.

Judy
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

February 22, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3213119

Thank you everyone for your love and support. Today was a tough day emotionally, and I am supporting by the memory of her joy despite her sickness. Cancer taught my mother to love freer, to live freer, and to celebrate every day we have. I made a photo album of her today, and read through emails and things that reminded me of her. I had a good deal of tears, and some smiles as well. I couldn't help but to be uplifted reading her words and realizing the healing that took place in her life. I am so proud of the women she came to be. My saddness comes in missing her voice, her embrace, and not being able to know the women she became. I know she is with me, and it warms me. Knowing you're all with me and her spirit gives me great comfort as well. She loved each and every one of you, and I want to remind you that the beauty you saw in her was a reflection of the beauty that surrounded her. You all helped her heal, and for that I am eternally grateful to all of you.
I attached the eulogy I presented at her memorial service for you all to read. I hope it comes through.
Krissy
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

February 22, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #3213124

Ok I posted the eulogy here.

Thank you friends… old and new, fellow golden retriever rescuers, supporters, coworkers, admirers, prayer warriors, family…
I feel blessed to stand before you in honor of a woman whose life and wisdom touched so many others
I’m honored all of you joined us today to celebrate the life of Lynne Mellinger, my mother, my teacher, my comic relief…
Through her final days… she kept us laughing in the room with her, giggling in her sleep, playing tricks on all of us, and throwing out some wicked one liners…
It is said that people tend to die the way they lived…
She exuded joy, passion, love, tenderness, patience, kindness, and laughter and that’s what she was surrounded with…

Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world” and that was one of her greatest lessons learned this year… well done, mom.
She learned that in order to create change, you have to be it, and live it in everything you do…
For all of you who felt inspired by my mother… by her light, her courage, her strength…
Know that your energy and prayers were the catalyst jumpstarting her fight.
Know that she began this journey feeling so alone and with your love, she died the happiest and most loved she’d ever felt
Know that you all inspired her and that you were a key to my mother’s healing.
And I say healing because she did just that.

She beat the disease of cancer, she transcended it spiritually and her spirit just became too big for her body.
She told me she wished she could take it back- the getting sick and all… I said, “yeah, me too mom… but this was also the best year of your life and the happiest you’ve ever been.
She agreed.

She said that this year she learned how to love and how to be loved and for that she was grateful, that this disease taught her this wonderful lesson and allowed her to experience, embody and enjoy the immense love that exists for everyone…
And we could all see that love pouring out of her this past year.

In her words:
I am totally content and happy with myself at this point in my life.
It has been an incredible journey of self-discovery and worth, challenge and victory.
I have never given into the illness, choosing to fight with every tool I have been blessed with.
I have processed through all the garbage weighing me down through life and banished it from my soul.
I have learned to love deeply, freely, and give of myself in return.
I have learned to allow myself to be loved in return.
I value family and so many more blessings I have in my life than I ever have been able to before.
I am grateful for each gift that comes my way and I know them now when they appear.
This has been a journey of light, of understanding of oneself, forgiveness, and becoming a whole person.
It has never been about the illness.

During one of our many conversations in her last few weeks, I had to get some answers about a very important topic…
What was her obsession with the movie “Pretty Woman”!
She watched this movie over and over for years…
She gave me a surface answer… it was funny…
…she loved Julia Roberts and Richard Gere
Actually, I’d been thinking about it some weeks before
And came to the conclusion that Gere’s character reminded her of dad
She smiled and shared that she felt a little like Robert’s character…
The down and out inferior girl
And that dad believed in her, treated her like an equal, allowed her to feel special
And very loved, and gave her room to grow into the person she could be.
She said he is an exceptional man.
I agreed.

She also loved Yanni, who reminded her a little of daddy too
her favorite song was Nostalgia
I have a photograph of her in my head when the song came on
Smiling and Shaking her fist with passion and strength.
She said… Krissy, listen, it goes up and down at the same time…
Such a metaphor I understand now.

She accepted this disease and met God’s challenge of her with a grace, a dignity, and a depth of understanding.
I’ll quote an email she sent to a friend:
“you know, some people could look at what happened to me
and take the view that it shouldn’t happen… but…
I try to look at the total journey… this experience has changed my life!
I no longer look on the world with a jaundiced eye.
My life is so full of friends, love and good experiences over the last few months.
I’ve never felt more cared for than I do now.
Sure, things get me down occasionally, but its usually the world
Mans hatred and treatment of his/her fellow man that gets me
World events, catastrophies- not anything in my immediate sphere…
I truly believe that if we can live through something like this
And come away having learned lifes experiences
And have tried to cheer others along the way,
Then we’ve done something to help, not hinder, the world.
I just try to let God direct me and not fight him…
You can be whoever you want to be”

She chose to be colorful, vibrant and unique
She chose to allow her kids to be colorful, vibrant…
And very unique…
And allowed us to be whoever we wanted to be
Even if it frustrated her to no end!
My mother and I were best friends
Teachers and students of each other
We shared everything.
She told me when I was young that I could tell her anything and she would love me no matter what… that I could trust her.
Of course, as any young person, especially as independent and rebellious as I
Didn’t believe her… she meant it.
Over the years she taught me the true meaning of not judging and total acceptance
We always laughed at my foibles, mishaps, and terrible errors in judgment
And she held me up when I fell down

She always said
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger… everyday I grow stronger, mom.
She also said
If you love something, let it go… if it comes back to you, its yours forever.
I finally figured out what she meant.

This past year has been one of intense, expansive growth for both of us
And I came to her one day after much personal processing
And I told her… I said, “Mom, you were right about everything!
You always have been…
She and I laughed and gave me the “Yeah, I know” face.

My mother was a wise old soul and affectionately referred to as “mother earth”
By both my brothers and my friends growing up.
She was someone we all could talk to…
A friend of hers wrote:
We learned no matter how sick you were, you thought more of praying for each one of us, than yourself.
We learned of your unconditional love.
We learned how to grab life and hang on no matter what.
We learned complete strangers can become close family.
We learned not to give up.
We learned it is ok to wear red thongs on your head when they don’t look good anywhere else.
We learned how to make cranes
You taught us courage, and you showed us no matter what we can face things head on and Live, love and laugh.

Her life became about the journey of healing and sharing that with others
That is why she wrote her book “Choices” to lift and empower
That is why she folded cranes in accordance with the Chinese legend that your wish would be granted after folding your 1000th crane
And why she made mobiles out of those cranes and gave them to the hospital, her family, and all the friends she met during treatment

And that was her…
Always soaking up life, teaching others, lifting us to our fullest potential, and coming to the aid of those in trouble.
She had a mission this past year to bring healing to as many people as she could.
One example is a woman she befriended online who was told there was no hope for her cancer, and she was in a terrible depression. Mom was bound and determined to lift her up, and that she did. This woman is now 100% in remission and said she owed it to my mother…

She taught us that there is no limit to your potential… that nothing is impossible
She taught me to slow down, enjoy the scenery, help out lost dogs and lost people, to share my gifts and realize my blessings… and give back.

And to stop and smell the flowers
We did that one day in her room as we admired all the gorgeous flowers sent by her friends and she told me what each flower was…
I held them up to her nose, one by one
She closed her eyes each time and breathed in deep
Deeper than I’d seen her breath for awhile
As if absorbing each unique smell to remember forever

I will remember forever
Her laugh
Her smile
Her hugs
Her humility
Our long summer talks out on the porchswing in the moonlight
The way she could transform lives
The way she transformed mine

Thank you
Namaste

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 22, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3213140

Krissy
I lit a sweet magnolia candle in her memory tonight ... sweet like her spirit. :-) My husband and I said a prayer for you and your family and all those who were touched by her beautiful sweet spirit. She * lives * on.
gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3213149

BEAUTIFUL!

God Bless You and Your Family!

Nancy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3214375

Krissy,

I'm at a loss for words because your words are so truly wonderful.

Many people when dealing with cancer become mean and bitter, but your mother chose to brighten the world instead. What a legacy she left you.

May you be Blessed,

Judy
stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #3214493

Krissy,
Thank you for sharing the eulogy with us. Her memory is as special to me as she was.
Sharon
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

February 21, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #4568340

I returned here today on the second anniversary of my mother's death... She still lives on in the hearts of so many... and in mine.
I really can't believe it has already been 2 years. It seems so long... and at times so short.
Sometimes the memory of her... the sound of her voice, her smile, and her wonderful hugs seems so close... almost like it's never left. And really, it hasn't... I carry her with me everyday. There has not been one day that has gone by I haven't thought of her in some way. I wonder if we do the same for those that are living... if not, we should maybe-love that way all the amazing souls that surround us everyday. I was reading a poem by Hafiz from "The Gift" and he wrote something like: what if God had a party and told everyone there they were his special guest, and Hafiz pondered how would we treat them knowing this. Then he continued on that everyone on every dance floor is God's special guest. I thought it was a beautiful sentiment. There is so much beauty in all of us, although we lose sight of that and get mired in the negatives at times. Love and God are one, and it's our love that brings us to God, that is the God in all of us.
My mother taught me much about love... the depth of it.
She loved all of you as well.
Her spirit is still alive in all of us.
I hope this post finds all of you well.
blessings to all of you
with love
Kristina
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4568384

Thank you, Kristina, for posting. It was good to hear from you. I have been thinking about your mom lately, as well as w2ondering how you are.

What's happening with "Choices"? Do you still plan to finish it and make it available to us? I have never had the opportunity to read it, and would like to read it very much.

Please let me know.

Take care,
Cathy.
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4568584

Krissy, I spent some time late last night rereading some of the emails she sent me. She was so uplifting. When I saw your post this morning, I just had to stop in here and tell you I am thinking of her,too. I never met her in person... but I will never forget her... What an awesome legacy she left you... I love to read your words about your mother. You touch my heart. What a wonderful daughter she had. I know she is proud of you ...

lighting a candle today...

Hugs, Starr
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 21, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4568674

Kristina ...
Thank you so much for taking the time out of * this * day to post. It is very kind of you to share your thoughts and memories with those of us who loved your Mom. Lyn will always live in the hearts of all us here at DG.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #4568835

Kristina, it's good to hear from you. It is hard to believe two years has passed. The Internet has brought so many wonderful people in touch with each other -- your mom was one of them.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 21, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #4568896

I too can't believe it's been 2 years. Seems like yesterday she was d-mailing me with advice and encouragement. She was always here for all of us even though she was so sick.
Krissy, I'll never forget your mom, she'll always be in my heart.
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #4568991

Krissy,

I remember your Mother daily and I frequently think of all those who have crossed my path in this life long journey and I smile for the goodness that I find in each and every one of them. (some are harder to find goodness in but it is there somewhere buried beneath the pain). I tell my family daily that I love them and cherish them. My friends all know that I love them and cherish their friendship.

Your Mom and I talked of our lives and loves, past, present and future and knew that we would meet again someday somewhere.

Knowing your Mom was a great privilege and knowing you through her eyes was indeed a gift. She adored her family and friends and showed all of us dignity in death as she had dignity in living life to the fullest even up to the end. She was remarkable as you know and I miss her in my daily grind but I know she is watching and there is comfort in that.

Hugs to all your family,
Lani
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

February 22, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4572193

Krissy
Thank you so much for posting. Your mother meant so much to me, I miss her terribly. She was wise beyond her years and was an excellent sounding board.
Lynne is in my heart.
Dianne
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4594249

I found my copy of Choices that Lynne emailed to me the other day while looking at papers in my filing cabinet; I was so glad to find it as I wasn't sure where I had put it...it was her rough draft of course and I will cherish it :)

I, too, would like to know if anything is going to come of her book.

And whenever I see cranes or see origami, I think of Lynne :)

Kathy
lemyssirk
Carlisle, PA

February 21, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6169497

Hello...
Well, it's been 3 years... Sometimes I can't even believe it! It seems forever since I've touched my mother, held her hand, heard her voice... and then, it seems like just yesterday. She has been right by my side, even though I can't always feel her there... she's there. So, this past year I turned 30... jumped out of a plane... earned my certification in addictions counseling, and bought my first house. About a year and a half ago, I was talking to her spirit and saying, I just want a home... for many of my own reasons. I had moved then into this fabulous apartment that she guided me to, and I thought then that I had found the home I prayed for... and then this little idea of buying a house started to smolder and grew into action. She guided me away from disaster with the first house I attempted to purchase where the sellers were severely cutting corners on the roof. I had this gut feeling... The day I went to start the contract the movie "The Money Pit" came on the TV. Now, my mom had an incredible sense of humor, and I wondered then if she was trying to tell me something... she was!!!! It makes sense then combined with how I came to buy the house I did. I'd been talking before with a co-worker who's mom had also passed years before... She said her mom communicated through pennies to her... she'd find them in random places, just when she needed them. So, I looked at this house that had finally come down in price where I could afford it (a friend had been nagging me to see it since I started looking, but it was out of my price range). I walked in to find two pennies lying on this ledge in an awkward place. I noted them, but thought little of it... until I decided to put in a contract. That morning then, I went to work, and found a random little penny on the landing of the front interior steps (which has very little traffic). I made the sudden connection that was her telling me this is good. I told a friend about the incident, and she asked me if the pennies in the house were heads up or tails up, so when I went back for the home inspection, I noticed they were tails up... (which I have no superstition about). Not a big deal until... The signing day came (on Halloween!!!), and after I became the official new owner, I went to my new house. This is the amazing part... I looked on that ledge at the pennies... and now, they were heads up! I had not touched them, nor had anyone else been in there since the inspection. My mother helped guide me into this home... and I love it. I guess I'm writing all this to just say... those we love are still with us. My mother is still with me... I'm learning more now just how much of her is inside me. So, I don't feel so alone. I am a part of her, and she a part of me. Our bodies will go, but our love... that energy remains.
I finally figured out how I am going to publish "Choices". I am going to be writing a book about my journey with my mother through cancer, and I will add her book in it. This will take me a bit of time with my finishing up my master's degree and all, but that's how I'm going to do it. I really want to share what this journey has been for me, just as she wanted, in the hopes in can help someone else.
I send my love to all of you who carry on her memory with your love. There is so much beauty in this world when we share our love... I thank you for sharing yours.
I imagine my mom smiling and waving a red thong in the air for all of you!!!!!!! Always with a little humor...

Kristina
...and Lynne...

Thumbnail by lemyssirk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 21, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6169594

Krissy,
What a touching story. Thank you for sharing that.
3 years, does not seem possible. Your mom will remain in my heart forever.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 21, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6169615

Kristina
You will never know how deeply your Mother touched me. I can not even explain it. I have her book "Choices" and will be looking forward to your book wehn you publish it. I'm so excited for you and your new home. Take care, and thanks *so much for posting!
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6169711

Wonderful story, Kristina... Good for you AND Lynne on the house, too!
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

February 21, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6170499

Hard to imagine it has been 3 years already.
Krisssy that was a wonderful story and I am so glad you have found yourself a "home".
Holding Lynne and you Krissy close to my heart...
Dianne
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6175071

Good hearing from you Krissy. I'm glad you're doing so well. Please let us know as soon as your book (and your mom's included) is available. I am so anxious to read your mom's book and now yours also. Did you finish writing your mom's or did you leave it as far as she got with it before she passed away? Maybe you completed it in your book?

God bless you and your family. It is good to know that you have such great comfort and peace about your mom. She was, as we all know, a very special and unique person.

Cathy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6266525

I haven't wrote much here as I can't explain how I felt when Lynne passed. It was so deep a heartbreak. I love your mom so much and you as she spoke so highly of you. Lynne was one of a kind as we all are unique.But the way she ministered through her journey with cancer was truly a blessing. I am a better person for knowing her.

Waving my red thong above my head in remembrance of your mom. Those were some of the funniest times I have had in a while. Maybe it is time to have Omar make me another pair. rotflol I can here Lynne chuckling as I typed that. I will never forget your mom. She was one of the most courageous Ladies I have even met. I cherish her friendship just as I cherish yours Krissy.

Blessings,
Sandy
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6319290

Krissy,

I just found you last message and also cannot believe it has been three years. I think of your mom often and recently the "red thong" posts came to mind. She was a wonderful woman and I will never forget her. I wish I had known her better.

Peace and love,
Jody
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

February 20, 2010
1:17 AM

Post #7572904

Oh my goodness Lynne it has been four years since you have left us but to me it seems like yesterday. I still "talk" to you everyday, especially right now.How blessed I was to have you as a friend.
Thinking about the red thong and just maybe I will get that gorgeous red wig you loved so much. Never been a red head and as Frank said so short ago why not Lynne. Am also looking at the spikey black and purple wig which you treasured so much and thought would rock your DM's world.
Crissy I truly hope things are copacetic in your world and please know and remember how much your mother meant to so many of us here on DG.
Holding Lynne's memories close to my heart. Candle will be lit starting at midnight and will burn for 24 hours. Please come and join me in this candlelight day.
Dianne

This message was edited Feb 19, 2010 10:53 PM
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 20, 2010
1:26 AM

Post #7572915

Will be joining you Dianne in burning a candle for Lynne. She is truly missed.
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7573011

Count me in on the candle lighting.

Hi Louise! Love ya.

Cathy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7573163

Really miss you too Lynne and smiling when I think of the red thong. I have lost some weight so I don't need Omar to make mine. :o) Haven't lost that much really but just had to bring the tent maker up for a chuckle.
You are still so loved and missed. Sending love your way Crissy. Hope all is well with you.

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #7575094

I find it hard to believe that it's been 4 years. I will light a candle too :)
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7576015

Lynne,

It is hard to believe that you have now been with God for 4 years. I hear you giggle at my stupid jokes and see you grinning with that red thong on your head and the new redheaded wig looking so wonderful too. I also see you in the crazy wig and remember how I laughed when I first saw your new "do" in that picture. You were so special to so many and "lost to us" far too soon but then again we know you are still with us every day too which is such a blessing. It is wonderful to know that you are there waiting to meet us when we cross someday. Your charm and intellect was truly inspiring to us.
I will light the candle in just a bit under two hours and it will be lit for the next 24 hours in your honor.

Krissy and family, I hope that your lives are full of love as I know that Lynne only wanted the best for you and I can't think of anything better than having lots of love in your life. Please let us know when your book is being sold so we can go out and buy it. I know it will be cherished.

Hugs to all,
Lani

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Memory Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
(JCF) Janet Flowers MistyMeadows 29 Jul 21, 2011 5:33 AM
( DaleP6) Dale Patricia Six Joan 5 Sep 26, 2007 6:42 PM
(Tink76627) Peggie Glover Joan 15 Jun 17, 2009 2:25 PM
(Glory) Gloria Jean Breal Lessner Joan 14 Jan 23, 2010 5:26 AM
(Frankay) Frank Young Joan 37 Sep 2, 2011 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America