Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: What base foundation do you use?

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 38, Views: 378
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2006
3:55 AM

Post #2074342

I'm thinking about trying MAC's foundation. I don't want gooey but think that the Bare Minerals is going to be way too dry for me. I have some samples of Mary Kay but had to mix two colors, plus hate having to order it. Any other suggestions? I want light coverage, not gooey, not dry, not stinky.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2074578

When you go to the Sephora website and type in "Makeup for dry skin" Bare Minerals is the first on the list. Bare Minerals is made for dry skin and all skin types. The purity, the natural looking coverage, the non-gooeyness, the ease of application, the ease of removal and the wonderful healthy look it gives to your skin just can't be beat. It doesn't settle in your pores and fine lines to accentuate that you have pores and fine lines lol! It is actually good for your dry skin. In combination with Hope in a Jar there is nothing better. You really should at least give it a try. Unfortunately :( it is something that has to be ordered. Fortunately :) it lasts a very long time and you don't have to buy it frequently.
I wouldn't touch liquid foundations with a ten foot pole. I'll never use them again. This is just my opinion of course. :)
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2074828

I was afraid to mention my thoughts about BM on the other thread for fear of being BOOED. lol Really, I went to our local big makeup store, Ulta, and talked to the manager (a guy) for a long time about it. He said BM was like 45% of their income, but it wasn't for everyone. I was with my mom and sister and he stayed with us for a long time showing us the stuff and talking about it. He said it will sink into lines. We all decided after talking to him that it would just look too thick and madeup for us. I'm still thinking about buying a sample kit tho. Just feeling guilt over spending $45 for it.

I have oily skin but not all over. Depending on the weather and cleanser it can be dry too. I use a wet sponge to apply foundation or a big brush. I don't like it thick and feel like less is more for me now. Powder will settle in the fine lines that I have and make it look worse than if I just wore none. In the summer I will just dust on pressed powder in a little darker shade using a big brush. It doesn't cover all imperfections but they are much less noticable this way than with some thick stuff on them.

My sister bought the MAC yesterday so I'll see what she thinks today. I probably would have too but the sales girl didn't seem to think I was either interested or worth helping also. Don't you just hate some people? Well, I don't hate, but geez just because I'm over 30 doesn't mean I should just give up!

Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2006
2:28 PM

Post #2074921

We won't boo you lol! ... silly girl! :) Just want you to give it a chance before you "just say no to Bare Minerals" rofl! Who knows? You might just thank us cause it makes you even more beautiful than you already are. Or it might make you look hideous and you'll scare us all away :) I'll be 51 this April and I've never had the best skin in the world. Bare Minerals has given me more self confidence than I've ever had. It would be so wonderful if it could make you feel that much happiness too.

Let's hope that sales girl gets a big zit right on the end of her nose that never goes away! And a boil on her butt! ... hee!
I hope MAC is everything you want it to be! ... v

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 10:31 AM
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2006
3:54 AM

Post #2076580

I tried to buy the BM this afternoon. I went back to Ulta with no foundation on hoping to find the guy there that could put some on me. He wasn't there so I ended up talking to another clerk about it tho. She was about 16 and said "let me see your skin" which made this 41 yr old want to hide. LOL While she looked at my lines I looked at her smooth, plump skin and shiny green eyeliner.

She thought I would probably like a liquid by Exuviance. I put some on there and liked it, so I ended up buying that. I think it might be just a little too light in color, but I like the makeup itself. What I liked more was sitting there in front of huge glass windows with tons of light. You think they would mind if I went up there daily to get ready? lol

Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

February 28, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2076603

..and i followed you here, too! we're not letting up.

but if you found happiness in exubiance, i hope there is still room to try BE properly sometime soon. i giggle and laugh a lot, and BE doesn't leave traces of smiles or frowns. it's almost miraculous. lol.

love, love the brush that came with the kit. picks up everything you tap on the cover. i wish we can have BE slumber party. hee-hee.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2006
4:30 AM

Post #2076641

Well, if I don't try it both me and my sister are going to be nuts! I can already hear her screaming from her house JUST TRY IT!!! ..but wait, I have a question...back to the other thread...
hairgirl5
North Adams, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2006
2:01 PM

Post #2088115

I use Tigi Bed Head Glamma Liquid foundation, it's a treatment foundation with vitamins A & E.
I have used BM and did not like it.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2006
2:58 AM

Post #2089986

I have a certificate for Young Blood make up face-over. . .ya know apply makeup on me by a "pro". It is suppose to be similar to Bare Essentials.
flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2091581

Ummm. I can't help you here. I don't use foundation or powder it would cover up my 51 year old flawless skin. I do use a little blush, mascara and eyeliner. But I like to keep it natural...
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2092969

...still using the Exuviance and loving it so far. My sister returned her MAC and loves the Exuviance now. It is lasting all day and not greasy. So far so good!
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 11, 2006
9:55 PM

Post #2105299

i absolutely love bobbi brown moisture rich. I also love princapal secret products.
I grew up with both my grandma and my mom as mary kay ladies. And i switched to princaple secret after many years. Its so hydrating. I still think that mary kay is good but i like the way my skin feels from principal secret. LOL I soulnd like the infomercial. The thing they have good foundation but its hard to find matching colors by just ordering online.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

March 24, 2006
2:42 PM

Post #2135805

Just one note on the mineral foundations - a lot of women don't do well with Bare Escentuals because of the high amount of bismuth (many are allergic) in it and because it's too glittery/shiny. There are a number of mineral foundations that don't contain a lot of bismuth. Cory Cosmetics has none, Jane Iredale pressed has very little.

I love the Jane Iredale myself. I have dry skin and find that after a few minutes it just melds into my skin. I always use moisturizer/sunscreen before putting on any foundation.

Also, if you use a mineral foundation and it looks dry or cakey on you, try waiting a few minutes and checking again because like I said, it does blend into your skin in a few minutes, or try using a bit less or blending it into the skin with one of those small powder puff type makeup pads.

One final note. If any of you have rosacea, you'll find your skin looking better after using many of the mineral foundations. That's because many contain zinc oxide, which helps reduce inflammation.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2137273

Ugh...that might be what I'm needing right now, some zinc oxide. (sunscreen) My face has been so broken out this week that it's making me want to hide. It's not been like this in forever.

Today I gave up wearing base at all and just dotted it on spots then dusted lightly with just regular face powder by Almay, which is what I do in the summer. My skin feels somewhat better today and didn't look like I was trying to cover zits up.

If my skin clears up after not wearing the base then I'm going to try the BM.
robbinspa4u
Averill Park, NY

June 23, 2006
9:06 PM

Post #2425221

I LOVE the BeautiControl wet/dry foundation, and for more coverage (a night out , big events) I use the Secret Agent. My wet/dry is a powder compact that you dampen the sponge for more coverage, or use dry (I use it dry for my everyday use because I use the best line plumper/moisturizer.) Check out my web sit and sign the guest book to get free samples.

Beautipage.com/robbinspa4u
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2455462

I like the Bobbi Brown line of foundation and makeup.
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2463796

K The first Bare Mineral makeup I tried came from ebay. I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something that might not work so I went there and bought little pots to try and see if I liked it. My skin is very dry and the liquids, creams, etc. just made me look older and the lines harder. Yuck! I'd rather go without. It took me a while to get the hang of the bare minerals but I've got it! I love it! Both my daughters are very interested now that I've been wearing it. They are very honest! They tell me it really looks good on me and makes my skin look supple and softer. My girls are my best critics. lol It doesn't take much and the products last a long time. My makeup time now is much shorter.
I used to put on the foundation first, then do eyes, brows, and then cheeks. Now, I do eyes, brows first. Then all I have to do is brush on the minerals and I'm done!

You've got to try it!

Lin
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2467278

Bare Minerals here too! I'll never use liquid foundation again...also, no breakouts for two years after I started using BM.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #2490258

I use Bare Essenctuals/Bare Minerals and have a problem with it. When they talk about it 'sinking' into the lines, they aren't exactly being totally honest. It does sink into the wrinkles...but it doesn't hide them, it makes them stand out MORE! Especially in the crows feet under my eyes. Sometimes it works better than others... I assume it depends on how 'plump' my skin is and how much sleep I had the night before...but I am really disappoointed in them. It took several practrice sessions to learn to use it...and I wore it for about a year and was happy with it. But I guess with all the stress of the last year, the wrinkles have gotten a lot deeper...and the Bare Minerals just looks bad now...

My hubby and son prefer me with no foundation. They say that the foundation and powder look like a mask. They like the natural look with just a touch of eye makeup, so maybe the time has come to become a true natural girl...I wish I had a smoother complexion...it is splotchy with age and acne scarring...but using a self tanner on my skin helps to even out the skin tone without damaging the skin...
alesha801
Riverton, UT
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2006
8:54 PM

Post #2490387

My sister just became a Mary Kay consultant. I use to kinda laugh at the MLM set ups. However, she made me try it and let me tell ya. I think I'm hooked. Never thought I'd be a fu fu makeup person, but when your teenager says you look younger and have smaller pores, I'm all over that.
Debredd
Little Rock, AR

October 7, 2006
5:33 PM

Post #2794188

I recently tried a new foundation and in all my years of wearing make-up this is the
best foundation that I have EVER used!
It is so smooth and soft and goes on easy and stays on all day.
Believe it or not...Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse...it's wonderful!
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2805230

Konkrete - I still have oily skin (even at my age) although the surface can become dry due to dehydration. I like the BM for lots of reasons: no breakouts, very quick and easy to apply, very smooth finish, does not show lines when my skin is dry on the surface, and doesn't get oily as the day goes on. The one thing I don't like about it: it has a polished look to it that gives me an all over shiny appearance. Not greasy, just shiny like polished marble. I would think those with dry skin would like that aspect of it.

Hi Debredd! I live just outside of Little Rock in Ferndale. I work in LR. I've been curious about that Matte Mousse. I'm looking for a matte finish, but not too dry. Does it come in an oil free formula? I may have to make a Wal-Mart run and try it out. thanks for mentioning it!

Debra
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2805679

..and the good thing about Wal-Mart is that you can return it if you don't like it! I must have a matte finish too but still trying to avoid an all over base makeup. It just makes me feel too thick and slimy.

I should have tried the BM this summer when my skin was oilier but forgot all about it. I've just been using a powder by Physician's Formula that is like the BM. It's worked great but the sun has also helped my skin clear up. Now it's back to being a lighter color and drier for a few months so I'll want a liquid base too. Maybe I'll try that mousse stuff on a wet applicator sponge. I used to do that and it worked great.
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2006
10:58 PM

Post #2850227

I start to buy and loves it what I use from name of brand is "L'Oreal" Bare Naturale powedered mineral foundation (SPF 19 SUNSCREEN) color I use is Nude Beige it work for me look good. Not quite as expensive what I paid $15 bucks plus tax from Walgreen.
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 26, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2851775

I like Mary Kay products. I use the cream-to-powder kind. All their foundations are $14.00.
longstemmedrose
Lansdale, PA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2006
9:07 PM

Post #2920016

At this moment I think MAC has the best foundation. As a make-up artist, I have worked with MAC on a number of clients. MAC has so many shades for people who are normally hard to mach, especially people with undertones. Also they have different formulations for many different skin types which is primary when it comes to picking a foundation. I have used their foundation for years, and doubt that I will ever change.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #3067031

Oh...I do love beauty products, so thanks to konkrete for starting this thread!!!

I don't think anyone here has mentioned any of the dept. store foundations. I have used Lancome and Estee Lauder for about 35 years, and people always comment on my skin. ( I buy whichever one has a "giveaway" for free samples. ) BUT, I really think skin is genes, and what you put on it makes the most of it or makes it worse in a superficial way...top layers of skin only.
I really don't believe any skin products are better than others...it's just what suits YOUR skin...oily, dry, wrinkled, etc. My roommate in college was in nursing, and eventually ended up working for a skin doc in the medical area of Houston. He said Pond's products are the same as expensive ones with a few different items added. BUT, he did recommend E. Arden for some reason. I know my friend who now has a doctorate in nursing (works with skin) has used it for about 40 years.
My daughter swears by MAC products and I use their little pot of brown shadow for my brows and for eye shadow and I love it.
I buy E. Arden moisture lotion at my local T. J. Maxx...never pay retail. I get the $35. bottle for $15. or $10 when it's on the bargain table. I also get great shampoo and conditioner at T.J.
hairgirl5
North Adams, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3084537

I love BeautiControl, it feels like you have nothing on.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #3085190

I'm still using the Exuviance and the Physician's Formula powder and happy with them both. Getting my hormones more in balance has helped my skin clear up too.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3085266

E Arden here...LOL I don't do natural...gotta hide those freckles!
maureenpm00
Lindenhurst, NY

February 1, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3144114

the best I've ever used is Lancome. I have tried clinique and for my skin, I thought it didn't compare to the Lancome. Any of their products, whether a moisturizing foundation in winter or a lightweight foundation in summer, their colors have always matched my skin perfectly and the forumula was perfect. I don't use any of their other products, but must use their foundation.

sixx788
Willis, MI

April 8, 2007
10:08 AM

Post #3368066

I am a big fan of Alexis Vogel's makeup. She is the makeup artist for Pamela Anderson and Paula Abdul. Her foundation was awesome, then she had some sort of problem with her company so I had to find a replacement. Some of the girls on a different website suggested Cinema Secrets foundation. It is the closest I have found to the Alexis Vogel foundation. It's a cream and it gives really good coverage, which I need because my skin is blotchy and I have freckles. It is very light feeling too.
backspace
Saint Charles, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3369581

A Great book that is worth the investment is called " Don't go to the Cosemetics
Counter without me" by Paula Begoun. Tons of cosmetic products are listed with ratings as to what to invest in and what is a rip off, extremely informative.
animallover
Debary, FL

April 16, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3398989

I have enjoyed reading about the many different products some of you love.
It would be so helpful if you could give a "general idea" of your age when
recommending products (like between 15 and 30) or 31-50 or beyond. Beyond is
a magic number when many things change.

I am one of the beyond people that never wore any makeup and still don't but
I realize this site could help me find something great for my age.

Now I will go to read about water lilies and hope to return here & get ideas.

Thank you.
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2007
10:45 AM

Post #3401090

Hi Animallover!
I am in the 'beyond years' too. lol In fact I am 64 going on 65 this summer.
I like a light coverage type makeup so I use the mineral makeup. Bare Essentials is what I use. I love it! It doesn't take much time to apply once you get the hang of it and it feels so good on the face. I love the eye makeup and color choices. I buy most of my bare essential makeup from ebay. Much cheaper.

Try it and see how you like it!
animallover
Debary, FL

April 18, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3405798

Dancey,

I'll try it and I thank you.

However, I decided to get a little crazy and found a few things on the internet that sounded good. Don't they all?

I will report back in a few days after I see if I am happy or wasted my
money.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2007
10:31 AM

Post #3411374

I notice a couple of you mentioned the Maybelline Matte Mousse, which I have to agree is the best I've ever used...and I've used some very expensive ones. It goes on so light you don't even know it's there, and is best applied with a dry sponge. If you want a more dewy, natural look, you don't even need powder over it. I would say this foundation would be ideal for all age groups. Once you try it, I doubt you'll ever spend big bucks on foundation again.
katym
Deatsville, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5210298

I also use Mary Kay cream to powder foundation. I have used this for a few years now and like that you dont have to worry with liquid and then powder cause its combined into one. I have a lot of freckels on my face and it does not completely cover them up, but it makes them much less noticeable without looking like a plastic mask on my face. Blends well.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5241608

I know that except for the thread before me, this is an old one. I am old too! I am 61 and I use BM. I liike it but I also like to see what others recommend for us older skin ladies.

animallover has a great idea:
Quoting:I have enjoyed reading about the many different products some of you love.
It would be so helpful if you could give a "general idea" of your age when
recommending products (like between 15 and 30) or 31-50 or beyond. Beyond is
a magic number when many things change.

Telling what your age span is would greatly help. For instance, if you are let say between 20-30, a recommendation may not be useful for an age range of 50-60.

Thanks!
Cissy

This message was edited Jul 11, 2008 10:19 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM
Anyone have a "sure fire" method of fading Sun Spots? DonM47 28 May 27, 2009 2:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America