Photo by Melody

Beauty and Fashion Tips: Fine hair, help please!

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 89, Views: 819
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 27, 2006
4:51 AM

Post #2074422

Hi
I've got *real* baby fine hair that is also thin. I need a good root lift and hair spray that won't make it feel like card board but will give it lift and keep it in place. Any suggestions?
Thanks ... Elaine
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2006
4:05 AM

Post #2076595

Bleach. I have fine, straight blonde hair. Always have and have just learned to live with it. I just got my highlights touched up at the roots and a trim. I thought about cutting it to "do" something but then decided not to try to fool myself into thinking that it would "do" what I see in pictures. Oh yeah, back to you...lol...the bleach makes mine a lot thicker on top. I don't use any products on mine tho. When I used to, I would get them from the salon because they actually worked. I remember Bracato (sp?) being a brand that I used when I had the "Rachel" shag.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 28, 2006
5:05 AM

Post #2076668

konkreteblond ... I just had to laugh at you cause you sound just like me. LOL Mine sure won't "do" anything either. Know just what you mean. The highlights do change the texture, though, so that helps a bit. But ... like you say ... grin and bare it. :) I've even had a shag cut. Most hair products weigh fine hair down. :-( though.
renwings
Sultan, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #2085317

I've had good results with Herbal Essences ( I love their new Citrus series). They are not too expensive. Honestly, I rarely DO my hair. I find its best to rarely condition and have it layered every so often. It keeps it in fine shape and looking alive. Rinsing in cool water, fluffing it as it dries. These things help.

I think in the end, we're lucky. My sister has such thick heavy long hair, that she only washes it once a week and it take a whole day to dry (an hour with the dryer).
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2006
5:25 AM

Post #2085352

I spent too many years when I was younger fussing over my hair and making it perfect. I've learned to just deal with my hair and love it. I've tried perms, and they fall out. I've curled it, but it falls out. So I just wear it straight. It's easy and it takes little maintenance. I always think I'll attempt some "style" but my sister talks me out of it by telling me that I have hair that everyone wants to have. She has just a little bit of wave and it drives her insane.

However, I did call my hairstylist and asked her if she saw Meg Ryan on Oprah because that's how I wanted my hair! (except I'll wash mine!) Her hair was layered but straight and wispy. I can do that without using any extra utensils. I am skilled at those tho. Both my parents, and uncle, were beauticians when I was growing up and I used the curling irons that had no springs. You had to open and shut them with one hand. They didn't rip your hair out tho.
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

March 8, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2094562

I got tired of thin, fine hair that won't "do" anything. My sister-in-law recently had chemo treatments and had to wear a wig. The first time I saw her in the wig (and I KNEW she had a wig), I didn't even notice it it looked so natural!

I've got one ordered! We'll see how that goes.

Ya know, I don't really have the time to spend so much time trying to make my hair look decent, when in the long run it still won't look decent.

About time I get the heat curler out of it and start to style, along comes hubby and jumps in the shower making all that steam! LOL!

Bloop! There goes my hair AGAIN!

Kay
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2006
2:21 AM

Post #2094682

lol, Kay, know just what you mean, don't you hate the ads about shampoos etc. showing some ones hair thick and shiny? as if the stuff was a mirracle and I could have hair like that too if I used that product. What a bunch of liars they are. There should be a law to prohibit this, lol
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 8, 2006
4:31 AM

Post #2094913

Amen!! LOL I get mine half decent and walk outside ... then poof! Nothin's gonna help me! LOL LOL
... Elaine
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2095509

I have fine, thin, straight hair which is difficult to "do" anything to unless it's really cut right. Then it still requires products on it and I am so over doing that to my hair. I hate hairspray and base makeup. lol I still wear my base tho unless it's summer, but I've learned to manage the hair. I'm actually fortunate to have all 3 things together because they make wearing it straight easier. I started growing my bangs out a couple of years ago and parting it back in the center, like when I was little. Jennifer Aniston copied me! ;)

The wig thing I could not do. I would be so annoyed at it on my head and I would tell everyone it wasn't my hair. LOL
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

March 8, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2096753

Yeah, I'll probably either not wear it or can't stand not to tell everybody.

I'm still going to try it, though as a last resort.

I still use the makeup base, too. I HAVE to. God gave me naturally blond, straight, fine, thin hair. When I was about 15, the blond went away and I discovered "Sun In". 'Been coloring it one way or another ever since.

The problem was that my eyelashes and eyebrows remained white, so I had to paint them darker. Being beautiful for me is a long lost dream. If I could just be PRESENTABLE now it would be okay!

LOL

PS. And your are not supposed to have pimples and wrinkles at the same time, but guess what!
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2006
3:30 AM

Post #2097726

I share your pain in having blonde eyelashes and eyebrows. I am never out without my eyes but can go without the actual base makeup. Years ago I saw something on Sesame Street that was SO funny!! It was this girl puppet that went over to a table with a mirror and sat down. When they showed her face, it was blank! LOL! She put on some eyes, a nose, lips etc. just like we put on makeup. I've said I "put on my face" ever since.

I used that Sun In when I was a kid, but I didn't really lose my blond until my 30's. After my first son it got darker but then it lightened up again. After my 2nd son (13 yrs later) it finally went more to dark blonde. I think it's mousy brown but my mother swears it's just dark blonde. I get highlights put in mine too.

And yeah, what's up with the breaking out still happening? Each decade is different. My teens and 20's had the T-zone, 30's around my cheek area, and then around 40 it moved down around my jaw. Luckily I only have a few, and that's getting much better.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2006
1:19 AM

Post #2100115

i know it sounds wierd, but saltwater sprayed on your hair really works. after i shampoo and towel dry, i spritz on some saltwater. i have short, baby fine hair, except where it's grey, that has body! it makes your hair feel like you've been to the beach.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2006
11:25 PM

Post #2102739

Eeeewww!! You are WAY too used to that sand! (see your name!) I wasn't so sure about the idea but that last comment just grossed me out. LOL! I love going to the beach but the feeling I get from the humidity and the sand is disgusting. Maybe my "beach", which is the Gulf, feels different than your nice ocean beach. Can I come visit? ;) lol
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

March 11, 2006
2:42 AM

Post #2103572

Trackinsand,

I'm game for new ideas! What proportion of salt do you use to water?

And does it dry your hair out?

Kay
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2006
2:53 AM

Post #2103600

We had a house on the beach, the Atlanic Ocean, my hair was always in that water never did hurt it except being a natural blond it was very, very blond at the end of summer
Iluvgardening
upper hicksville zon
Canada

March 12, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2107515

A good cut, blow dry upside down, never bleach (it made my hair seem even finer). Try various products til you find something you like - gels sometimes help, a light hair spray, and learn to live with it (sorry to say!). Salt water is not in the long run good for your hair - it will dry it.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2107582

salt water never gave me dry hair, but for some it might just do that
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2006
12:15 AM

Post #2108374

I have fine hair and I just used the new dove shampoo... I love love it ...
as for root lift they make my scalp itch so I olnly put that in my hair on special occasions. Joico has a good one only salon bought though ohh redkin too.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2006
2:14 AM

Post #2115648

i swam in the ocean every day for 10 yrs. and saltwater never dried my hair out. it actually made my skin much softer and pliable. i have a little spray bottle, 8 oz. i think and i put about a teaspoon of salt in it. Bumble and Bumble makes a spray called Beach, same idea. try the salt and see what happens. when you wash your hair, use a clear shampoo and don't use conditioner in the shower. those kind are usually too heavy for fine hair and weigh it down. use a light spray in leave in conditioner just a couple times a week, like Aussie Hair Insurance. i think you shouldn't have any trouble with drying. good luck! let us know how it works for you.

LOL, when i first started swimming in the ocean i would shower instantly when i got home. then, you know how it is, over the years i would walk home and start doing other things. that's when i noticed how much better my skin and hair were. tablesalt certainly can't take the place of the real thing, but it does give you some body!
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2115729

Just buy some sea salt most any good super market has it, I always use it as table salt, much better on food too
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2006
3:29 AM

Post #2161756

I have very fine, thin hair. It has been thin for many years, but the last three or four years, extremely thin on top. Seemed to be always falling out. I tried ROGAIN for women ,generic brand, Wagreeens had bogof, so I thought I would try it. I am very thankful that it has worked. I started using it in Oct. and by January, I could tell that I was getting new hair and it doesn't seem to be falling out as much. When I got a perm recently, the hairdresser, said it was definately thicker.
crystalnurse
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2006
1:25 PM

Post #2285083

I love "Stiff Stuff" hair spray. Keeps it up and holds nicely. I bought it at Walmart

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2287691

Vidal Sassoon's volumizing hair wash, in the black bottle, makes my hair lighter, and it's long and fairly thick.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

May 17, 2006
3:20 AM

Post #2287831

Well, billyporter I'm gonna try that. Anybody that eats peanut butter and miracle whip can't be wrong! LOL
Waving hi ... ~Elaine~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #2287877

Laugh. Hope it works for you! I sure like it.
nDEBt
Troy, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2006
11:38 PM

Post #2444972

Here is my advice. I have blonde, fine, thin hair. My old profession was a hair stylist. Here is what I learned to do.

Shampoo and condition-- Make sure to rinse out all conditioner. It will make you hair weigh down if you dont.

Blow it dry until almost dry.

Use a moose root lifter.

Finish blowing it dry. I use a small round brush to get my roots some body.

I have learned to just get a fairly straight style. I will never hold a curl unless I have a perm in it and then my fine hair has a lot of breakage.

Here is the trick the hair stylists use that helps. When blow drying your hair, you use your wrist in a C motion. That give you the lift at the roots. It may take some practice but it really helps.

Just my 2 cents worth

Deb
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 29, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2445387

Yep Deb ... that's the only thing that works for me. I absolutely can not get perms. I used to do that and almost ruined my hair. Now I wear it straight and short in layers to make it look thicker. I too use a round brush with root lift. It's a curse I've had to learn to live with. :-(
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2006
2:16 AM

Post #2445453

yes Deb, my hair is very fine and thin, it was blond now it is silvery grey, my stylist said my hair is too fragile for any permanent or color. It is long because I wear it in a french twist, if it were short I would look bald since I lost more than half of it going through a most stressfull situation for several years because my DH was terribly ill and needed care for 7/24. I have been given a treatment that has nearly stopped losing more. hope it will stop all together
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 29, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2445600

Maria ... what sort of treatment did you have? I have a horrid receding hairline. It's disgusting ... Whatever!! Still disgusting! The doctors say it's hormonal.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2006
3:05 AM

Post #2445749

Wish I could tell you the name of it Elaine, but it is something he puts into my hair after washing it then have to sit under the dryer for 15 minutes( I think) then it get washed again. Am going to ask when I go again, have to do this once a month.. Perhaps some one who does this will know
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 29, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2445786

Thanks bunches. Would be very interested in knowing. :-)
JeannieW
Tippecanoe, IN

December 9, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2985874

My hair is so thin and fine that my doctor used to tease me about never losing my baby down. I like John Freida Products. I use Satin Shine Finishing Cream (I don't use it to finish) I use it first on wet hair to make it soft and then I spray Wave enhancing spray and lightly scrunch(also while wet).

John Freida has these products specifically for your hair color. They do not dry out your hair like so many "plump"up products do. This wave enhancing will give you body and enhance the color of your hair which refelcts the light thereby helping the appearance. Its wavy and shiny. For hair spray I use Design Line Volumizing which is also not drying. Hope this helps.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

December 10, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2986298

I use Sebastian Shaper hairspray, they have a root lifting spray too, these products are sold only in salons. My hair is very fine but only looks thin, it is actually a "normal" thickness according to most (surprised, by the look of it) hairstylists I've been to. It was blonde when I was younger, but now I pay dearly for that privelege LOL. I think the highlights help give it texture. I would like to try the salt spray but common sense says one or the other, not both.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3178816

bump
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3178972

Well Howdy ladies;
Elaine

Thanks fer tha BD wish!
Now I'm going on my 73 lol next Feb.

At this age, one might think someone has done lots of things.
Back in 59-1968 I owned a couple of beauty shops.
I worked as edward charles aka Mr Charles lol; I was a hair bender.

We resorted to several things for your type of hair.
There was a conditioner from Jerry Redding that helped somewhat.
-
Gel-set for the set, even used powered milk to build body for the comb out.

Semi permanent color rinses Clairol etc helped with body also, for a short time.
Most people don't rinse their hair long enough after a shampoo.
Do it long enough and tha hair takes on a glow of its own.
Lets tha hair follicles expand & breath.

I tried spraying different hair-sprays in the wet hair before the set.
Always hated that stuff even if I made lots of money with it.
-
Stretching the wet hair with tha back of the comb prior to setting it makes for a tighter set and comb-out

Agree, the cut is tha style and adds body.
What worked best over all was the one's I used a temporary rinse on eg Roux.
For light, blonde, or yellow in grey 'White Minx' worked wonders.
-
Added body that out lasted all the others
Shampoo, rinse well, comb it through and air dry when possible.
____

All comments heah are subject to delusion as any acquired talents are at least 39 years past history.
lOL
charlie

edit to say
Flat beer works to add body also

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 3:35 PM
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 12, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #3180129

Hi Charlie!
Thanks for these tips. I'll see if the DH will leave a beer around long enough for it to go flat for me to try. :-) Glad you had a nice Bday!
~Elaine~
JACKIEneedshelp
Mahwah, NJ

March 15, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3284962

I NEED HELP! my hair is a mess .. it's not only fine, thin hair it has flyaways like no other. I contemplate just shaving it all off ... are there any miracle shampoo's or remedies out there !?
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #3285164

If it's very flyaway you need either a better conditioner or a leave-in light-weight conditioner. I get one from my salon to use during the winter when it's dry. My sister used to swear by Infusium 23.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3296146

My DW use to get a perm once in a while haha like every 10 years of so.
After a first set she simply washed and applied Infusium 23.
-
Love tha wet look
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

March 20, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3301625

Have you ever considered a weave?
animallover
Debary, FL

April 18, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3405968

HeyCharlie,

I would have been fearful of posting the flat beer idea since it is so different but I will swear by it. Doesn't matter if it is Michelob, a snooty brand or Bud. It works.

It cleans out the shampoo, conditioner and doesn't smell like beer after rinsing. Use the shampoo, conditioner and then pour on the beer before rinsing.

Perhaps beer is more natural than shampoo, conditioner.

Let's just say I am older and it works.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 18, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #3406631

Hey, does anyone remember that shampoo that was famous waaay back by the name of "Body on Tap"? It really was a great shampoo and smelled good too. Don't ever see it around anymore.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2007
7:21 AM

Post #3407501

Hey 101;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_on_Tap
-
http://search.ebay.com/body-on-tap_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQxpufuZx

This site has an interesting forum thing:
http://www.bigpinkcookie.com/2002/11/27/they-say-it-gives-you-good-body/
-
There are many talking about that shampoo and making comments ie thought I was tha only one...
animallover
Debary, FL

April 19, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3409328

Ok 101,

A few of us know of the value of Hair BEER. Let's market this FLAT beer with a new
"catchy" name.

Anybody have ideas. We can add something to the beer (anything) & give it a new fancy name & make zillions. If we add an exotic name it will really go big time.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 19, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3409385

I'm thinking! LOL
animallover
Debary, FL

May 12, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3490705

Isn't this most interesting?? LOOK at lawsuit by the "big GUYS". Just like vitamins and drug companies creating lawsuits.

Body on Tap was a brand of shampoo from the 1970s. One of the ingredients was beer which people used to believe made hair fuller and softer. Whether it was the beer which enhanced the fullness and softness of the hair or not, the shampoo did leave hair very soft and full, especially after blow drying. The shampoo is able to achieve this by not leaving any residue on the scalp or hair shafts. Body on Tap comparative advertising was the subject of a lawsuit in 1981 between Vidal Sassoon and Bristol-Myers.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2007
7:53 AM

Post #3492216

Hey animallover
Interesting ta say tha least!
-
Vidal Sassoon;
I made a near fortune from lhim.
[Batman ]

Haircuts are whar ye find them lol
tellicovillager
Loudon, TN

June 13, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3608470

I have had thin fine hair all of my life and I am 50. 4 years ago I began experiencing migraines. I read somewhere that B vitamins might help with the headaches. I bought Big 100 B vitamins at GNC. After being on them a year, I have not noticed any relief from the headaches, but I have a nice big full head of hair. Also, my hair does not fall out in the shower or the bathroom floor, and my brushes and combs do not have hair in them. My hair looks the best it has in my life! I have actually been stopped and told how pretty my hair is! At 26.00 a bottle, it is expensive, but you could probably read the label and buy the same thing elsewhere, which I may try when my supply runs out. Please remember, this took about a year and was not an overnight cure. I hope this helps. I do not sell vitamins or know anyone who does, so I will not benefit if you buy vitamins.
stlorganics
Saint Louis, MO

June 13, 2007
6:46 AM

Post #3609220

I put this in another thread somewhere on DG, but can't remember where, so some of you may have seen this comment already. Anyway, my hair is very fine and I can never do anything with it. I started going to a Naturopathic Doctor. She asked me if I was getting all my nutrients in during the day. I told her I'm really bad at eating all my veggies. She recommended that I use a product called Deeper Greens manufactured by Orthomolecular (I think?). Well, after two weeks of taking this my hair was in better condition and at the end of the month, people were complimenting me on my hair. It had so much body and it looks so healthy.
beautyaddict
Santa Monica, CA

May 27, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6606315

Hey Ladies,

Whats working for me is this spring that you bend and roll. its a metal spring with plastic handles . its just like threading and you can do your chin,chicks and upper lip, it will be good also for fine hair. try it at myspringit.com

Thumbnail by beautyaddict
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AND2025
Odessa, FL

June 24, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6729599

You gotta check out the ThinnyHairHolder - I love this accessory!! No more buying hair spray for me, great product. http://www.thinnyhairholder.com
kcheckal
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #7076682

I also have fine, fly away hair. I recently moved and went to a new hairdresser. I was so
impressed! It's the first time I can remember in years, not having fly away hair. I asked
her what she used and bought it. It's a little expensive but it lasts for a long time. It doesn't take a lot. It's REDKEN Clear Moisture Shampoo followed by REDKEN Clear Moisture Conditioner. I have also seen it at HEB and Walgreens. It may be a little cheaper but I'm not sure. I'm really happy with it!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 18, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #7077892

I've discovered Guts #10 by REDKEN, and it's wonderful! It gives my fine hair lots of body. It's a root lift product you can use wet or dry. I can find it at our WM salon.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #7282332

I love the #10 Guts also! Not real cheap but a little goes a long way and it really works for me. It's a spray mousse and I spray it only on my roots then use a round brush to blow dry. Not a day goes by that I don't use it.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

November 17, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #7282362

Same here! I use it every single day. Now if I could just find a shampoo I really like. I've tried everything ... I still keep going round and round on that one. Nothing works for long. I'll just keep watching this thread and trying any and everything mentioned. LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 29, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7407919

Adding to this forum .. I use 'BIOTIN' 1000 mcg a day. I noticed today at the health food store I deal with that it's available in '5000 mcg' ..
Biotin is a useful water soluble B vitamin that can help with thinning/fine hair ..

My hair started to 'thin' ( I hate to say FALL OUT) when I was maybe 48 .. the Biotin 'appears to have stopped the loss .. it did NOT renew much of the thickness, but, that's ok with me .. :-)
I seem to be status quo right now .. thinner hair on top, but thick everywhere else ..

~M~

MeemsDream
Plymouth, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7408792

M, thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try. I have still got the same problem. My hair is thin on top and the rest is thicker. I have not heard about Biotin used for this purpose. I hope it works... I would just like to keep what I have!!! Meems
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

December 30, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #7408882

I haven't heard of that either. I'll try anything! LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 30, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #7409138

Well ladies .. it all seems to revolve around that insidious little PHASE of a woman's life called MENOPAUSE .. in some of us (over 65%) the hair, on top, starts to thin .. aren't we just SO lucky .. NOT !!!!!
Have a bud who went so far as to have extensions woven in .. they looked OK .. but I just can't justify the time nor the expense.

I have had patients on the Hospice Unit I worked on who had some majorly awesome wigs .. they would go to a local hairdresser BEFORE their chemo .. she would take pics and build a wig .. an amazing woman .. the wigs look fabulous .. but .. the cost was a bit prohibitive .. $200. Some patients had the cost covered by insurance though. I would have to be pretty desperate to buy one as I can't even stand wearing a HAT!! And where I live, well a hat is just common, specially in winter .. hmmmmmmmmmmmm .. maybe I FROZE my hair off LOL ...

~M~
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7411005

Biotin is also great for nails. Several years back my nails became very soft and were peeling. I tried a lot of different paint on nail strengtheners over about a 2 year span to no avail. I read about biotin being good for nails and that taking it regularly a difference should be noticeable in 60 days. It did the trick!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

December 31, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #7412220

Hmm, now I do remember that! I definitely need to start back taking it. Gardening season is almost here, and my nails can use all the help they can get! ☺
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 31, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7414433

Gardening Season is almost here aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, believe it and it will be ture, believe it and it will be true. :)
HelpForFineHair
Queensbury, NY

January 9, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7446689

I'v traveled the fine hair route for a long, long time. I finally realized that there is very little over the counter that is helpful to me,unfortunately, but my hairdress finally taught me what to use. Redken is my product of choice, and it's the only thing I can use. HUGE difference in the condition of my hair now, even in the midst of menopause. I use Redken Shampoo, Conditioner, thickener and heat protection. Hair spray is awesome: #23 is the only one that holds without creating helmet head. Some good tips here: http://www.helpforfinehair.com

Good luck - don't give up!
sagarika
Toronto
United Kingdom

January 13, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7457521

I also spent my so many times by wondering such tips for preventing my hair damages.Then i found a tips from such forum that instructed me for applying herbal treatment.I have been using it from last couple of months and feel somehow better than before.So why late?Let's a try!

http://www.thecrazytrader.co.uk

Thumbnail by sagarika
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Debdasmptr
BBSR
India

March 30, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7668665

As my personal experience says there is no treatment for hair, The only thing you can do is to have good diet which is required for healthy hair. I have hair problems and i have also tried so many treatment without any result.
[url="http://www.thecrazytrader.co.uk/"]Discounted Cosmetics[/url]

This message was edited Mar 30, 2010 11:35 PM
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 31, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7669503

ok i have a few ideas for you,, first theres this really good product called wen its good for ur hair
also try organic shampoos theres is a brand called organix they have a full line and works great, try and stay away from anything wih sulfate in it as it causes hair to thin also nioxen was created for cancer patients to help them keep there hair and helps regrow hair,, my first choice would be to use the nioxen, its more expensive but if you know someone that works in the beauty industry they can get it for half price just have to have a cosmetology liscense,,, also go to sallys beauty supply store they have this karatine stuff not sure on the spelling but u rub it into your hair or wash it into your hair and it makes ur hair thicker
hope some of these ideas help you out
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 31, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #7669758

My problem is any type of hair product makes my thin hair lay down. I need products that are designed with fine thin hair in mind. I've always had fine thin hair, and will *always have fine thin hair. It's my lot in life. I just want to find products designed to manage it. I know they're out there. I don't mind paying for them, either.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7670112

Well .. today on Dr. Oz (my hero) he did something AMAZING .. he suggests putting (and he DID this) mashed banana on your dry hair. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash out .. says it FEEDS your hair .. who knows .. like IO1 .. pretty much have accepted the fact my hair is NOT gonna be BIG and fat anymore LoL
PLUS .. I have dandruff !! drives me BUGS .. good thing I like wearing pastels !!!!

~M~
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 31, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7670829

I would get the kreatine stuff from sallys then it will help with the fullness

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7671308

WOW .. I used the banana treatment .. this morning my hair is just SO shiny .. and .. dare I say it MAY be a bit 'fuller' .. haven't accosted it with the curling iron yet ..
It wasn't so bad either, thought it would be a lot more messy to do .. but .. luckily my 'banana ranch' (I freeze over ripe bananas for baking) had lots of bananas in it .. I only had to use one mashed banana .. slopped it on, mushed it about, let it sit for 15 minutes, washed my hair twice and, voila, I think I see a difference .. who's to say .. going for lunch with some buds today, will see if they say anything :-)

~M~

PS .. secretlove .. is Sallys a US chain ?
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

April 1, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7672840

Yes sallys is a chain store most cities will have one

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7672864

I'm in Canada .. will have a look next time I am in Duluth MN :-)

~M~
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 6, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7685815

Thanks ... I've written that down. I have one not too far from me. :-))
Altamisal

October 22, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #8168932

MarilynneS wrote:WOW .. I used the banana treatment .. this morning my hair is just SO shiny .. and .. dare I say it MAY be a bit 'fuller' .. haven't accosted it with the curling iron yet ..
It wasn't so bad either, thought it would be a lot more messy to do .. but .. luckily my 'banana ranch' (I freeze over ripe bananas for baking) had lots of bananas in it .. I only had to use one mashed banana .. slopped it on, mushed it about, let it sit for 15 minutes, washed my hair twice and, voila, I think I see a difference .. who's to say .. going for lunch with some buds today, will see if they say anything :-)

~M~

MarilynneS, thanks for the tip, I tried it yesterday and it worked great for me too!
My hair was silky, fuller, and more manageable.

I was curious so I did a search to see what would come up on this, and I found
this thread at Dr. Oz Fans:
http://www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-mashed-banana-hair-mask-how-old-is-your-hair/

I had just put the mashed banana in my hair while I was reading all the horror
stories in that thread. Good thing I had already seen your positive review, I didn't
freak. I posted there too (mine is the last one) and I pasted in your post, hope that's alright.

I spoke to the site administrator and she said, re your use of frozen bananas:

"My experience with freezing bananas and then thawing them is that the consistency changes, making the bananas more mushy. So probably if you freeze bananas, thaw them out, and then put them in a blender, you will be left with a smooth and unchunky hair mask that will be easier to wash out."

I used unfrozen banana myself and it wasn't that problematic, but will try it frozen
next time. I only used abut 3/4 of a medium banana, that was plenty.

It's odd that so many posters in that thread had bad experiences with the banana
mask. I have no idea what their problem was.

:-)
Altamisal/Jen

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 22, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8169073

Jen !!

WOW .. I just clicked on the link and read the comments .. holy cow !!! I had NO problem .. in fact I will likely be doing this treatment this weekend and will add honey and olive oil as well :-)

Thanks for the response, very interesting !!

~M~
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #8187191

There are quite a few people on this forum with hair that is hard to style because it is thin and limp. My own hair is falling out - all over the place - because of the medication I need to take. I am 64, which is old but not so old that I do not care how I look! It is impossible to arrange my hair so that you cannot see the scalp underneath and I just hate that ! What about wigs? I did not see any one posting about wigs. I did have a wig once but it got all crinkly (?) and fuzzy on the part closest to my head. When I asked the place where I bought it she told me that it will always do that because it is caused by the heat of my head !! How can you wear a wig and not have it close to your scalp??? So I got discouraged and just stayed home a lot. Now I am considering another wig but first must learn about different kinds. Maybe there is one right for me. Any suggestions?
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8187263

I'm a hairdresser and when one of my clients are losing their hair due to chemo or whatever, I recommend the cancer society wig book. It is called Just for You and they are the nicest looking wigs for a decent price. They run around $45. Really good looking wigs. I recommend, too, to stay away from any heat sources with the synthetic wigs. Don't open the oven door and stand very close. My Mother got a wig from the wig shop($200) and the one she ordered from Just for you was much better.
There is instructions in the booklet on how to measure your head so that it fits just right. I will check on the name of the catalog and let you know for sure if I have it right. Most of the time there is too much hair in the wigs and your hairdresser will have to be pretty aggressive in thinning it out and cutting the wig. She also needs to be careful and not take too much out. lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #8187289

I LOVE good wigs !! I work in Hospice, and several of my patients have the MOST awesome wigs.
Here in Canada, they cost about $150. to $200.
If you are receiving chemo .. the gov't pays for the cost ..

I went to the Salon that supplies them here and was in awe of them .. so real looking when worn properly and the hairdresser/esthetist talks to you carefully about how to care for them.
I SO wanted to purchase a beautiful Auburn coloured one .. my hair is 'cream coloured' .. but .. I didn't do it
Who knows, maybe in the new year :-)

~M~
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8187294

My problem is not chemo so I am happy about that of course. It is all falling out becasue of the drugs I need to take. I guess in a way that is sort of like chemo. Anyway , I will definatly look for Just for You. Thanks very much. What ever the reason is that it is falling out, it still feels awful !
Eleanor
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8187421

I know that I am wrong about the name of the wig book but I will find out and let yall know.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #8187481

Thanks
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8187516

Good news---I found the name. Its "tlc" (tender loving care) by the American Cancer Society. Check it out and you will be pleasantly surprised.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #8187698

I found what you were talking about but it is really intended for people that actually have cancer so I do not qualify. Or at least that is the way it seems to me. Thanks anyway.
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8195626

Good Morning from Kentucky. I have extremely fine hair. I have tried everything. Now I read about a product I am not familiar with and wonder if anyone out there has tried it. It is a thickening cream by the name of Living Proof. Any comments will be appreciated. thanks, Helen
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #8195668

Yesterday we went to look at wigs at "A Womans Place" . They do have many cancer customers. In fact the owner has had cancer of some kind six times. But they also do wigs for people like me who are losing their hair due to medications. She could not have been nicer or more understanding plus she clearly really knew her business. We are returning today because she has ordered two wigs I liked in my color (silver gray) so I could try them on. It was a little hard to imagine how I would look when I tried a dark color wig on. Actually I am real excited about this. Some of my friends were mocking me and making coments because they think wigs always look fake and over the top. They will be surprized when they see these wigs. They are as soft and shiney as any bodys hair could possibly be. Totally real.
I do not think you could discern the difference between the synthetic and the real hair. btw I am going for the synthetic so it will always be "ready to go". No styling or messing about with it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8197220

WOW .. good for you mable !!!
The wigs sound awesome.

A colleague of mine who had chemo and lost all her hair had a synthetic wig that was a dead ringer for her own. I had to actually feel under it to believe it was a wig.
I'm still grappling with my decision, my hair is fine yes, but I still do HAVE hair .. have to justify the cost .. the wig I liked was $200. But, HEY, we're ALL worth it :-)

~M~

PS .. did the MAYONAISSE treatment on my hair the other day .. left it on for 45 minutes .. WOW .. great stuff !!!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #8197451

Two of my daughters tried the mayonnaise treatment. It must not have helped because they never tried it again as far as I know. I do take allot of Vit C and my pharmacist has told me that it will not go into your system properly.unless you also take Vit D.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #8246971

I bought four cashmere sweaters at Kohl’s for
$40 each. I love them! Also there is a brand name “Falls Creek” - also at Kohls - that sells a sweater and matching shell that is every bit as soft as cashmere (maybe even more) but it can be machine washed and dried. I always have some of those in my closet and have done for years. I have never seen these in a pattern but that does not mean they cold not be. I have many different colors.

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #8255485

"A Womans Place" shop for buying a wig looked so good I was really expecting a happy ending. Unfortunatly it did not work out that way. I found a wonderful wig but it was not the right color so the owner said she could order it and she would call in a few days. That was about a month ago. I am really disappointed in this woman. We had given her a $50 deposit and now she is not even answering our calls. If she cannot get the wig, or if she is sick, or she went out of business, then I feel sorry for her. But someone should have called us by now. So the search goes on! Meanwhile barretts slide out , side combs slide out, bobby pins slide out. I use alot of hair spray!! I am so glad that I am not working any more so I do not have to worry about how I look every day.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 12, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #8255676

Jeeze Mable what a let down for you .. you'd think the woman would have called .. I'd be checking into that for sure.

Had a docs appt a few days back .. seems what I thought was dandruff is psoriasis :-(
Soooooooooo .. have to use special scalp lotion and shampoo for a few weeks. Told him I was about ready to have my hair BUZZED and get a wig .. he frowned, but said it'd be up to me ..
I HAVE to wash my hair EVERYDAY for 2 weeks .. AND .. NO after products !!! Can you imagine what my hair will look like !!!! I think I may 'cheat' a couple of times as I have Xmas parties to attend and I FLATLY (no pun intended) refuse to go with frizzy static hair !!

Still waiting on my Genie in the bottle !!!

~M~

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM
Anyone have a "sure fire" method of fading Sun Spots? DonM47 28 May 27, 2009 2:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America