Horses: Semi-frequent de-worming using paste tubes

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/579410/

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Back in MS we only wormed with Ivercare, and that was per the vet.

I guess i do need to get them on a rotating worming schedule. What works for you guys?

Jenks, do you have them on strongid 2c? if so, check in to equiaide cw, same exact stuff, just about half the cost!

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

No need to take a day off. There is no side effect to the dewormers that would be exacerbated by exercise. Just deworm and carry on as usual!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Jen- It's Strongid through the vet, they have to take down all the info for the colic insurance....but Lacy no longer qualifies for it, so I might just look into that! Speaking of, it's time for the 6 month Equimax dose......I hate pastes.....Lacy rears a little and backs up as soon as she sees the tube. It's great fun trying to jerk a lead while your hanging from it. This time I'm going to jerk before she rears-as I'm pulling the tube from my back pocket. Maybe she'll behave herself in front of her son....

Why are you not supposed to mix it with their food? Does anyone know? Lacy will take anything mixed with her pellets....

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I think they don't get all of it if you feed paste with grain... no matter how much you think they did, there's still some paste that doesn't make it.

A suggestion on the "flipping out at the sight of the tube" - use an empty one, clean it up, and put something sweet & yummie in it... let her sniff & rub it on her head & mouth. Do this for a few minutes (maybe for a couple days in a row) , and then let her taste the yummy stuff... don't squirt. After a little of this, squirt a little, then a little more.. Let her come to the paste tube, instead of pushing it at her - it might be that in a previous owner's life, she was force-fed medications by a tube, and it tasted nasty... now anytime she sees a tube, she thinks you'll force it on her like the last person might have..

Good luck!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I'll try that today, I've got a bunch of tubes from injecting turkey's....Maybe she'll sniff it with no lead....no feed pellets until she sniffs? LOL

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I would introduce the tube very separate from meal-time. Don't connect the two. Make the "yummy tube" a good experience, separated from "do this and you'll get your dinner"... she might have learned from a past owner that if she throws a fit she'll get fed without being wormed...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images