Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Woodworking: Fear or Respect?

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 5, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Magwar
Royston, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2006
10:57 PM

Post #2080197

I wanted to know if any of you felt the same way at one time or another.

I have noticed when using something powerful, (ie router, table saw, circular saw etc) I have this inital fear. I have it currently when using my table saw. Maybe its just the fact that I have never used one, or maybe just respect for a machine that could easily cut one of my limbs off. But its there. It passes after time once I get used to the machine.

Has or does anyone else feel this way when using thier equipment?
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2080518

Having had wood kicked back from a table saw and bits come loose from a router there is a great respect, perhaps not quite fear, for the power of power tools to inflict heavy damage upon ones body.
Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2082058

The more you use the equipment, the more fear gives way to respect. But the fear element can be distracting when you're trying to do precise work, so you might want to "practice" with your equipment on scrap wood to build up your confidence level prior to using the machine when it really counts.
Magwar
Royston, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2006
2:15 AM

Post #2092105

Good then. I don't feel so bad about being fearful. I had my first piece of wood kick back at me. I now know what it means to listen to the blade. I am attempting to learn more about table saws so that I can use the proper techniques. I also am seeing the importance of Jigs. So much safer to use one.

So my fear has subsided a bit. Not much though. Guess need more practice.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 1, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2339825

Magwar,
Sorry to join this thread so late, but just found it.

I too, worry when working with a "new" tool. And have been attending "The Woodworking Shows" for several years to learn from some professionals. Not to mention getting some great tools at a much discounted price. I take my DW and she now knows what I want - you know birthdays, Christmas, etc.

Bought some magnetic featherboards - have never had a kickback since. Also rebuilt the splitter - made more of a true riving knife to prevent the kickback.

I also agree with repeat_Bloomer - practice with some scrap first.
Glad I did when first using my router - I made a mess of things - burned, gouged, you name it, but now am confident of what I'm doing.
bseddon
Pittsfield,, MA
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
12:56 PM

Post #2385193

My husband is a professional furniture builder and we both have a shop full of good quality woodworking tools. A healthy respect for any power tool is a good thing. we were out to dinner with 2 brothers-in-law and an uncle and my husband was the only one with all his fingers!!! We've both been hit with flying wood from kick back. I always stand off center when using my table saw "just in case"

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America