Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rosykay
Gates, NC

March 2, 2006
4:50 PM

Post #2081514

Hey Carolina! Isn't today a great day! It's warm and sunny.Walked around my 1 1/2 acre today. I've got lots to do!
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2081751

It is a beautiful day! Glorious and warm. My kinda weather - ready for the warm stuff..

diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2006
7:34 PM

Post #2081844

it IS a great day! i chuckled at an email from my daughter in new york city to tell me it was snowing this morning :)

it's very, very dry ... this will be the earliest i can remember having to water.
chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2082746

I've been concerned about the dryness too. I've never watered much in winter-just evergreens that were fall planted but I think it might be a good idea to do the whole nine yards. If a cold enough night comes along with dry soil it could really do some damage.

Enjoyed these warm days but I'm not ready for the real spring yet. Too much still to do to prepare!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2006
3:58 AM

Post #2083024

It's been such a nice day I over-worked my "winter time muscles"! Especially yesterday, but added to it today! Ugh! Will be glad when I get back into Summertime shape!

Yesterday I set out some garlic transplants (180), about 30 lettuce plants, 30 cabbage, sowed some Sugar Snaps and garden peas also...and of course some radish seed! Whew..what a day!

Rec'd over 2000 onion plants in the mail today...guess my day tomorrow will be more of the same, eh? And don't get me started on the umpteen hundred greenhouse plants to repot!

But, all in all...yes! A great day(s)!

Happy growing to All!

Shoe.
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2084506

Tulips starting to bloom, roses budding out, yesterday was 73 degrees, today a bit cooler but glorious. I love living here this time of year, July and August I am not so grateful. Daffodils are blooming,so are the anemones and dutch iris. I love this place.

Ginny
Rosykay
Gates, NC

March 3, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2084736

Shoe you put me to shame! I was feeling proud to have bought 4 roses. Your place must be huge. I have big dreams though...
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2006
1:01 AM

Post #2084852

RosyKay...yes, a bit big for me most days! And today, more g-house supplies showed up so I'll be pretty busy the next few days or longer!

What kind of roses didja get?

rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2084874

Shoe,

180 garlic transplants? WoW!!!!! And I thought I had something going on with my square plots full of garlic. Hey wanna trade come harvest time?
Rosykay
Gates, NC

March 4, 2006
1:18 AM

Post #2084900

Hi Shoe and everyone,
I saw "Oklahoma " at Walmart, yes, I know about Walmart bodybags, but I couldn't resist. My cellphone rang while I was looking at roses. It was my DH.Told him I found Oklahoma which I wanted for a while and he said if getting that rose was going to make me happy then go ahead and he would spring for it- so I bought 4! Also got Double Delight, Angel face, and Tiffany.
He said I must be trying to break him-I said I've been trying to for 20 years and haven't yet. He is ready to get the veggies going. We've only done summer stuff so far. Maybe soon I"ll try fall and spring veggies.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2006
5:18 AM

Post #2085347

rebecca...yes, only 180 this year. (I normally like to grow more; I can't stand going thru "garlic withdrawal"!) I like garlic in just about everything!

RosyKay...sounds like you got a good deal going! I'm not familiar with too many different kinds of roses (I've only grown Rugosa for the past 15 years) but this year I'll be growing some of the "Knock Out" roses and some of the Carefree and Meidilands (if you know about any of those).

Tell your hubby now is the time to get some peas in the ground (Sugar Snaps, English peas/garden peas) onion plants, beets, carrots, etc. That'll get him hooked on Spring planting for the rest of his life!
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2085624

Horseshoe, the Knock Outs are awesome for almost everyone. Mine have bloomed for 12 months this year. The don't do well in the vase but are great. No disease, no pests, no problems. Now there is a double one that looks pretty too. I have the red ones, and the pinks look good too. You have to plant more than one to get a good effect. Great rose. Try some of the Generosa and Romanticas. The Fredric Mistral is 5' x5' and makes great cut flower. Also, Traviatta for a wonderful red rose. These should do well for you. Go to arenaroses.com and look around. Also, go look at weareroses.com, this is the Antique Rose Emporium in Texas. They have wonderful hardy roses with great pics. I have bought tons from them. They come budded and blooming in 2 gallon pots.

Have fun.

Ginny
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2006
3:43 PM

Post #2085997

Wow...thanks, Ginny. Will have to keep your info handy. Right now I'm a bit capped on spending but will visit the links you gave and dream a little. When I sell some of these plants I am starting/growing out (have 120 roses alone) then I can spend more moola on something else!

Gotta run, 60 here now and warming up more...got lots to do!

Happy Growing!

Shoe.
karlmale
Saint James, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6289563

I wonder if I imight be able to get some advice:
I will be moving to South Carolina(Yonges Island/Hollywood/Meggett area) later this year, (as soon as we figure what kind of house we will probably build).I have lived on Long Island, NY all my life, but am an avid gardener...
Our land seems to have a fairly dark mix with lots of loam and plenty of sand. The wooded areas are full of nut trees, live oaks, sweetgum, and some native azaleas and palmettos.
Our "cleared" areas have some scattered tall grasses, wild blackberry, bamboo, etc. Any suggestions for filling in wooded borders? (Azaleas? Hydrangeas? Ferns? Gardenias? Blueberries?)
I want to start planting, even before a house is built, as soon as I can.
Any suggestions for eliminating Fire Ants and ticks?
Thanks, karlmale
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6296787

Karlmale, fire ants and ticks can be a real problem here. There are fire ant baits that you broadcast over the entire property that work well. I would imagine you would have to do this several times for the best effect. Over and Out is one brand but there are others out there. If you keep the cleared area mowed the ticks will find other digs. They like the high grasses and brush. There is a brand new Tractor Supply Co. in Ravanel that carries all sorts of products for fire ants, etc.

Azaleas, Gardenias, Hydrangeas and ferns all do very well here and there are too many others to list. Blueberries too but they will want a sandy, acid soil and sun. Be sure to have your soil tested ASAP. Many of the soils around here are very alkaline and most of us along the coast have way over the top, close to toxic, phosphorus levels, a result of the phosphate that was once mined here.

Clemson's Home and Garden Information Center will have lots of info for you.
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/

Although I have been in SC since '64, I did grow up with gardening parents on the north shore of LI. Gardening here is very different and often frustrating, but still far more enjoyable as you can enjoy it 12 months of the year.

Hurry on down.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 25 Jan 6, 2013 5:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America