Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: rocks???

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 68, Views: 496
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nikki_conway
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2006
5:08 PM

Post #2081552

Does anyone know where I can get rocks for my garden? Field stone, boulders, creek rocks etc...There are so many rocks around here it seems criminal to have pay alot for them.
Thanks,
Nikki

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 11:20 AM
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8088066

Most farms in rocky country have a fence row full of rocks to give away or sell for very little.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8088180

wow that's an old thread
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #8088266

Nope...just proves and old acorn can sometimes lose a blind hog. Think I got that right. LOL

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8088314

LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #8090145

don't know how you even found this one, doc!

I think somebody mentioned that state parks have rock picking permits available (along the lines of firewood permits). The post I'm vaguely remembering might have been about PA, but other states may well have similar permits.

Still, I've been ogling the big crates of rocks at Irwin Stone... something to be said for having a whole bunch of rocks at once, and they seem to sort theirs for similar size/shape.. I like ones about the size/shape of a loaf of bread, big enough to make it quick to build a border or pocket bed, but not too heavy to horse around.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #8090352

hart has told us about rock permits in the forest near her in VA. When I need to scavange, I go to the nearest contruction dig and see whats in the dirt pile.
and when they make the temporary driveways, I now see recycled crushed buildings used for that stone, and iI find small chunks of granite , polished on one face, black, tan white or red. But just say about the size of a deck of cards.
But buying a batch of matching stone really would let you make a nice display or edgeing etc

still I cannot resist the allure of the natural stone found in the wild which is perfectly rounded (ovalled) and smooth

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #8090540

Sally, I can bring you a few hundred pounds of rocks like the ones in your photo to the February Seed Swap in Frederick ;-) ...so long as the snow is not too deep to find one of our piles.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8090555

ooh, those are the kind of rounded rocks that would be great to top off my new bubbler/bog (didn't happen this summer, but I have the basin (a 40" round pond form), pump, etc.). I was going to use pieces of drain pipe to fill part of the reservoir, then top off with pea gravel. David, maybe you'll let me scavenge one of your piles when I've got it to that point of construction?

Around here, I pretty much find rocks with edges & points and flat surfaces, not weather-rounded ones

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8090934

Rocks are a great converstion piece over on the NE forum. Bill(wha) is our rock king!!!
You can follow his rock walls construction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/873748/

I only find tiny orange ones in my yard...nothing like he can get...it's a running joke.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #8091697

Awesome wall there.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #8092746

Yea...that is a nice wall with lots of grunt behind it.

Meanwhile the original poster sleeps on. LOL

An interesting potential exists on the Landscaping Forum. A photographer from China has entered with a landscape of a mountain village in China.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8093963

doc, the original poster is gone with the wind - no longer a subscriber, so I guess she can't see these replies! Oh well...

If you can't harvest rocks in the "wild", check for a stone yard near you - not a nursery that sells pallets of stone, but one where you can drive in, get your empty vehicle weighed, drive into the yard and select what you want, get weighed as you go out, then you go in and pay. Actually lots of fun. My son and I did this for weeks while we were collecting "rip rap" (gray/blue rock used in road construction) rocks to make a border for a woodland trail. I should have kept track of the number of loads we got in my wagon, but the ultimate cost was not much at all, and you could hand-pick the shape and color of the rock you wanted.

Here's a link to their page, if anyone in the Northern VA/DC Metro area is interested: http://www.sislersstone.com/

When we had a flagstone patio/walk and terraced stacked stone retaining walls built a few years ago, the contractor got all the stone from this place! ;-)
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8094387

Our mountains are a rock pickers delight. Most of the Appalachian chain looks the same. If you care to be totally honest a permit is available usually expressed in tons with a time window in which it must be used. Our cabin is in the deep woods where God must raise his world wide stone crop. It is miles away to the nearest cabin owner. The unimproved fire roads are lined with rock as well. If I wanted a ton at one picking I would get the permit.

How to estimate rock weight for a car load...If the car fenders are rubbing on the tires you have a somewhat to heavy load. Throw off a couple. If the front end is substantially higher than the back throw off a couple. If a back tire blows, spew off your ugly thoughts. The rock and trees will not hear your voice. Throw off the whole load, put on the spare. Leave half of that load for the next trip. Don't stop at the local bar for a cold one. The locals living in natural stone cased cabins might turn your city butt in. Unless they own the bar they are opposed to your presence in the mountains for any purpose. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #8094600

LOL, doc!
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8094627

Too funny, doc! Did you acquire this knowledge through personal experience? ;-)
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8094644

All we have to do is stick the spade in the ground and we hit a rock.
This is down the road from us, and I think the rest of our area is just like it, but with a layer of soil on top.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/photogallery/bfield.aspx

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8095104

LOL, Doc
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8095187

I never post without the base being experience. I just got kicked out of another forum by the forum owner who sits at the right hand of God. I was so upset I came over here and found need to advise on the skill of stealing the Government's rock. This has the possiblitly of touching the philosophy of Robin Hood. That makes them worth a whole lot more than if some farmer gave them to us. LOL

You should see the stone lined pathway filled with excess 2B stone to our out house, at our mountain cabin.. The Forestry guys left the 2B stone defouling the beauty of the mountain elsewhere. We provided a service moving them into a better need.

Only problem now is the stone warms up or retains warmth attracting rattle snakes. They also like our stone retaining wall by the front porch. All our people including the kids know how to safely handle them. They move to the coolness of the ferns and flowing water as soon as the mountain warms up each morning. We have eaten a few just to demonstrate how good they can be. That is also no longer legal. It is illeagle but broken down that word is only a sick bird. A real nice one is about 50 inches long with ten to twenty rattles.
That about fills a twelve inch frying pan. Tastes somewhat like very tender chicken.

Thumbnail by docgipe

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8095456

I'm happy to say I've never seen (nor eaten) a four foot long rattlesnake!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #8100777

LOL Doc, I'm sure your tax $$ paid for that stone so really... is it stolen or just reclaimed. LOL
I must say that we drove thru Washington last week they were doing a lot of road work and there was an area where they were going to remove a section of road with an island of very nice pavers. I know those guys are just doing to jack hammer the concrete and scoop it all up including those pavers. I think if I lived anywhere near there I'd be down there gathering them up when the work crews left.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #8101110

Bet you could get them delivered. That's what brown neckers and twenty dollar bills were made for. Time has just flown past me. It might take a fifty dollar bill...payable on delivery. They can make big bucks bringing them to you if you save miles from where they had to go with the waste.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #8115374

You can find those rocks in creekbeds (or on my shower curtain) LOLOLOLOL.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8115457

I get my rocks delivered, free! But Bill (Wha) in the NE forum is most certainly the stone king. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #8115467

I see you have not found the goons to help you move those goonies about your property. Ever think of taking a load of top soil to the gooney pile? That would make a great island rock garden right where it is. LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8115925

No Doc, Those Rocks are for the pond when ever we get around to it. That big pond keeps getting moved down the to do list. They do look rather pretty from the yard just were they are though. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8117968

They are very cool. I do not like my very flat featurelss yard- boring, but it is easy to mow. Some would see the rock pile and scream Snakes!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #8118098

Snakes control chip and dale, moles, voles, mice and small rabbits.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8125108

I know that too~~ But my mother for one would rather see mice every day than a snake once a year! Personally, I think that is silly. I just don't understand being so petrified of snakes. Sorry! I'm sure someone will read that and feel slightly offended.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #8125333

Fear only comes from the unknown. We had about a thirty inch black snake to enjoy last year until a neighbor pounded it to death and cut it in half with a shovel. I saw his eyes and heard his voice. He was absolutely scared to death of that snake.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8125570

We have a lot more snakes in our yard now that they cleaned out part of the hedgerow. I don't mind them but I do try to be careful and let them have a chance to move away before I reach in under things. If I can't see where I'm putting my hands I usually poke a stick in under and sweep it around first. The new neighbors across the street are both scared of them. I moved one for the husband the other day just happened to be there and moved it before he could go and get something to kill it. Then the wife came over and asked Ric if he would come as there was one near their back door that wouldn't move. Ric said it was molting and he had a devil of a time getting it to move on. At our house we would have just let it in peace until it was finished.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8126243

By definition, phobias aren't rational, but I sure wish people would just run away from snakes rather than reacting by killing them. I've moved snakes out of people's yards, kitchens, etc.. and most of the time I think if I hadn't been available, the snake would have been killed instead. :-(

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8127242

''if I hadn't been available, the snake would have been killed instead. :-( ''

Oh I'm sure it would. : ^(
And as Holly described, it is not that hard to live and let live. Easier on both of us in the end! Why waste a half day getting all upset and ending up killing the snake? Can't tell my aunt this either.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8128737

I know that fear of snakes is a primal thing, and they're not cute or cuddly, but I don't think most people have any idea about how much GOOD they do, and usually they're more afraid of us than we are of them. It's a shame...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8159728

Too bad I am so far away from you all. I don't even have to stick a shovel in the ground, they are sticking out of the dirt getting in my way! We definatly live in 'rock country' here. But at least I have something complementary to make beds out of around my house. It has siding and rock.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8161368

My FIL still has a truck load of mountain stone to get rid of in the Camp Hill area, if anyone is interested. Ric
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 21, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #8270995

Some years back I posted pictures of John's rock work on the walkway he was building so I could garden easier. Years later, and a construction zone that hasn't allowed me to access the largest of our flower beds, and with the summer being so hot last year, I am not even sure if I still classify myself as a gardener or not. hahaha

I am happy to report that after a very hot summer, he kept with it and we now have the walls for the walkway and the actual soapstone walkway will hopefully be completed in 2011 if the weather permits and his back allows it.

I will post some of the pics he took of his work. Will have to go back at some point and find the original l thread I started about the walkway and many of you so kindly commented on.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 21, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #8270997

another view

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 21, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #8271001

and another...not really sure what I am posting because at the moment I am only able to access very small pics on my photo program.

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 21, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #8271003

one more

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 21, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #8271005

Last one for now until I am able to set up some sort of photo file so I will know what I am looking for and at.

Thumbnail by rubyw

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8271472

Ruby, John's work is really beautiful. That is a lot of work he has done there. What a beautiful addition to your landscape and home his work is. He should be very proud of what he has accomplished. Holly
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8271557

We could hardly put up our fence due to rock everywhere. We have it growing out of the ground. It is mostly sandstone. I made 2 flowerbed borders out of it, with small retaining walls for contrast. I am going to make a retaining wall in the backyard where the ground slopes away from the house. Then make a flowerbed out of the top part, and grass/yard in the lower. Our neighbor had a huge pile from where he had cleared his land and said I could have all I wanted of it. Will try to take some pics if I can remember when it is daylight.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8271635

By jingles be jammey that is one fine rock wall. I would hate to estimate the value of that project. Certainly there are many memories you can not put a price on because they are priceless. Tons of stone and cement only suggest that the project was not all free. The finished addition to your hardscape is also priceless. Not only do you improve your property you improve the neighborhood as a whole...at least those living in sight of that wall.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #8271753

Ruby, Tell John that is one beautiful wall.His style is different than mine and Bill's (wha from NE forum).I usually dry lay brown stone, and wha dry lays harder natural stones. A lot of my stone for walls and stuff is used hand cut sandstone from old barns, bridges, and walls. wha goes out and gathers his till he has enough to begin a project. Cutting his stone would be like cutting and shaping John's. Again Kudos to John. Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8272126

I agree! Great rock work. Ric too, we've seen.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 22, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8272388

He is very proud of it and he has put a lot of sweat equity in to it for sure. Doc, John did masonry for a living for a period of time but it was too hard on his back to continue doing it for a living. My brother lives on the same piece of property as myself and he too grows rocks on his land. Most of the work he has done with his rock is dry layed also.

A neighbor and friend who is a Landcape Architect stops by to check on the progress of the walkway has put an estimate of about $35,000.00 if we were paying someone to do it.

For many years I would hear my dad and my brother complain about the rocky land here. I actually decided to show them that lemonade can be made from the lemons that life often gives us. I ran an ad some years ago to sell rock off my property and had several takers.

Poor John has lugged around a rather large stack of the sand stone through three moves and we have pretty much decided this is our last move, so here she will finally settle and become part of the land.

I suppose when the walkway is finished and we finally host a plant swap I will tell folks to wear heavy gloves and back wraps and walk the land and take home some of the rock that we haven't used. The goats are doing quite a nice job of clearing the other debris but don't think too much of eating rocks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #8273223

Interesting tales of rocks and land. Ha, something the goats won;t eat!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
1:35 AM

Post #8273304

LOL on the goats. We would sure love to come down for a swap what fun that would be. We could all sit on John's wall and Oh and Ah over it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8273601

What a nice Thread! I just found it!
I just HAVE TO go "outside the Box" if only my watched Treads...
Every now and then--I do check the MAF to see if there are any new Posts...

All I would need is about 10 rocks to edge a small, corner bed where the
old RR tie is completely rotted out...I think it was put down in 1972--along with
all the other massive RR ties my hubby and cousin hauled out of a ditch and
brought home. I love them--but many of them have become termite food...

Re snakes...
I have lived in my house for 42 years now and only one summer (2006) I saw a
black snake here. I was a bit apprehensive--but still ran inside and grabbed my camera...
For an hour--I just followed it all through my flower beds--then as it climbed my old
Juniper bushes out front for a rendezvous with another one. They did their thing and slithered
down from the bush and went underneath my concrete front steps. NOW I freaked out!
Visions of a "litter" of snakes came to mind--as well as them getting into my house, somehow,
Brom the block base it is built up from.

Never saw it again. I wouldn't mind having one--have too many chipmunks and rabbits...

Here is a picture of it. I got a bit too close with my camera--and it coiled up...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8273603

Just before it climbing into my Junper bush...it was about 3+' long..
So skinny!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8273604

Here are the two "lovers" heading under my concrete steps...Yikes!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 23, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8273681

Yikes!!!! I don't like any snake, even a black snake. But, yes living with all these rocks and especially the pile John has had out front for so long makes it a perfect location for snakes of all sorts. My brother often sees rattlers at his place. Thankfully he is higher and rockier than where I am.

Holly, you and Ric have to travel by us on your many trips south. When am I going to be able to talk you two in to stopping by? An open invite is now extended. Shoot, we will even let you inside where there is air conditioning rather than having to sit on the front wall.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #8274077

Oh Ruby I know we do and one of these days we will get to stop by and visit. Usually on the way home we are just so ready to get home that we just fly up the highway. LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #8281649

My motto is 'the only good snake is a dead snake'. LOL I know there are 'helpful' snakes, but I refuse to call any of them 'good'. It is un-natural how they can slither and climb with no legs or arms. If they stay out of my sight they are safe, but if I see them close to my house, it is BOOM. Shiver at the thought of having one in my house again. UGH!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8289009

I have large fossilized rocks & minerals that we collected all around the house. Pretty cool.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8310399

A swap at your place would be great! We don't need a finished wall! I know there's already plenty for us to ooh and aah over even if it's still a work in progress. It's nice to have a more northern and a more southern location for the MAG swaps... and I think there's already one brewing up in PA this spring... hint hint! LOL

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8312693

Ruby, don't forget to invite us over sometime because DH & I are going to show you and your DH how to pan for gold!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 16, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8313415

You folks are sooooo cute. I promise there will be a swap here, but probably not during 2011. We are open for visits from any of you at any time though. Sure Judy, will be looking forward to having you visit. Had conversation about panning for gold with John and he tells me that just recently he has heard of an outfit trying to get mining rights for gold in a county not too very far from us. Not sure how we would go about finding out if there is property available for Joe Bloe to use or not, but will try and find out. Seeing the bunch of us in a creek panning for gold will be good for some laughs, if not finding any gold.

Good to hear from you Critter. I think of you often and send my best wishes for all good coming your way. I haven't kept up with your thread telling of all that you are currently going through, but I am sure that all you encounter is met with great strength and poise. You honey, are amazing and a true warrior. I know that being a warrior gets to be very old at times and you'd rather not have to keep that stance for too very long, but you are greatly loved and admired by many and have a large amount of folks loving and rooting for you. Love you lots.

Holly, I am the same way about return trips home. They can't be driven fast enough. When I want to be home, I want to be home. You just never know, on one of my visits north to visit my niece Angela, we might show up on yours and Ric's doorstep some afternoon. Watch out.

Anyway, I am so happy to be back at Dave's and interacting with those of you who have played a major part in my life over the last five or so years. I regard many of you as true and dear friends, despite the miles that separate us.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8313932

We would love to have you Ruby just let us know when you are headed this way.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 16, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8313996

No plans as of yet Holly. In fact, my niece posted on her Facebook page this week that her hubby is thinking of contracting his Helicoptor Mechanicing skills to a company in Dubai and there is talk of the whole family packing up lock, stock and barrel and going there with him. She said that he can make as much as $180,000.00 per year doing that. I suspect if they are to go, upon return they will most likely choose to reside pretty close to where they are now due to wages being so much higher than here.

This reminds me, I need to go and check out Dubai because I no nothing of the place.

Ruby

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8315165

Boy I wish I lived closer to you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What fun.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8315183

That would be nice Crit I would love to meet you in person. Always so much fun when we can all get together.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8316182

Well, let's see... if you take some time off, you could fly out in time for the MidAtlantic seed swap (Feb. 26), truck around and visit a couple of us, see the sights, then take in "Springtime in Paris" at the Philadelphia International Flower Show (starts March 6), and fly home again well before spring thaw has you needing to be out in the garden in OK.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8316192

Oh man, that sounds terrific!!!!!! However (isn't there always a however?) I have been off work for 3 weeks due to a work comp injury. I doubt my boss would take kindly to me taking off again. LOL BUT I WOULD LOVE TO!!!!!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8317400

Back to the topic!!!! Nikki, you should go for walks in the woods (when the temp gets warmer) and bring some rocks home. I got big boulders of white flint, and also my fossilized rocks I collected last summer. Just keep your eyes peeled whenever you go somewhere in the car.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8317551

With all the little storms touching our neighborhood we now have a whole three inches on the ground. We have been very fortunate. Both those North of us and South of us have had more than they wanted or needed.

Today I drove to the top of our South mountain where my rock heaven exists. By the time I got there we were overcast to the point I could not get the picture I wanted to tease this discussion. That mountain top has rock larger than my car down to the one grunt size. They cover an area as far as the eye can see. They are now covered with snow just waiting for the proper photo lighting. I think that area might hold a very interesting photograph opportunity. I've been there several times and find beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. They are all aged and grey limestone. The ridge runs East and West for at least a hundred miles.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8317901

ROFL @ "one grunt size" rocks... I know just the kind you mean! That's a good size for stepping stones or for the breadloaf-shaped ones I love for edging "pocket gardens."
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8318044

LOL...I guess I understated the the length of the rocky Appalachian Mountains. We should all know they run from Maine to Georgia and can be a hundred miles wide at more than a few points. To hike the famous Appalachian Trail takes a very well trained individual a whole summer to hike. There is an old worn out North South joke suggesting Grant would never have found Richmond Virginia if his route between ridges had not been between two ridges that by dumb chance and choice opened up in sight of Richmond.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM
elephant ears-hardiness?? lgamb 17 Nov 1, 2008 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America