Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heucheras and Friends: New Member - wondering about Heucheras

Communities > Forums > Heucheras and Friends
bookmark
Forum: Heucheras and FriendsReplies: 18, Views: 274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazmine188
Silverado, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2006
8:06 PM

Post #2084343

I have been reading a bit about this plant wondering if it would do well where I live. Where is the best place to purchase them. Is there anyone that can send me cuttings if I paid postage?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sherri
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2006
8:21 PM

Post #2084370

They are native to someplaces in California. Other than that you got to have shade. If they are in your locale nursuries they do well. but shade is important
jazmine188
Silverado, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2006
5:47 PM

Post #2091014

My yard is 100% shade from October - March. Then partial shade the rest of the year.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2091393

Jazmine I am sure your going to get more replies on this saubject than just me and My heuchera collecting just started in ernest this upcoming season. I am going to use them mainly as companion plants for my hosta.

Come on ladies you Sandy and the others that grow such fine Heuchera. Help this gal out.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2006
2:10 AM

Post #2092095

Well, I don't live anywhere close to CA, so I'll leave that part up to the Californians.

I have several Heucheras, but most of them were just planted last year, and too young to divide. I'm just hoping they survive the winter. I do have a few that are unnamed that would be big enough to share, but it's still winter here and they are still sleeping.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2006
12:49 PM

Post #2092812

Joan I should be picking up about 15 new heuchera in the next week are so among them Persian Carpet and Peachy Keen.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2006
3:08 PM

Post #2093101

OH, how exciting oz! From a local source? It must be spring for you already. I still have some snow on the ground, but it's warming up and starting to go away.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #2093780

Yeah Joan and they are all in 1 gal pots. run about $8 each. I bought a 1 gal bushy Plum Pudding yeasterday at Lowes for $6. I have 3 real good locale sources. 2 in St louis and one in Kansas City. both in St louis have a national reputation and one carries over 80,000 plants. None of these places ship.

Yes spring is really tring to bust out here. We got a week of warm rain ahead of us. I had been covering my hosts crowns with mulch and chopped leaves but it is not going to stop a lot of them. My older giant types are already breaking thru all over and with the warm rain that will do it.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2006
9:44 AM

Post #2106500

Sherri, you're on the high end of zone 'hardiness' for Heucheras - Zone 9. Since you've got shade, you're halfway there :) I'm thinking that if you could find the coolest spot you have in the shade, they would probably do well for you. It's the heat and humidity that they're not fond of. Although they are considered a drought tolerant plant, they would probably appreciate a little more moisture with your high temps. I'd check with your local nurseries/garden centers to see if they sell many of them and get their advice since they would be your best bet for information regarding growing them in your area.

ozarkian, I can't believe how much earlier things are "busting" out this year! I guess it's the mild winter and the abnormal higher temps we've had of late. Daffodils that were just showing their heads last weekend are already beginning to bloom and one of our Cherry trees is beginning to open - the bees were buzzing and happy with the blossoms yesterday :) We normally don't see this tree blooming until the first or second week in April! I think all these early 'risers' are going to be alarmed when the temps cool back down again.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2006
10:34 AM

Post #2106526

Oz, I may make another trip to Lowe's and Home Depot and see what mine has.
I want to add more varieties too. Off the subject but I noticed an ad for Full Sun impatients at HD.
Teresa
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2106769

BLUEGRASS-- Lowes here had two kinds last time I was down there. Plum Pudding and Palace Purple. I would avoid that palace purple. I have a fewthat my wife bought and slowly but surely i am getting rid of them. I hate there habit.

RCN-- Spring is early here also. Kittymom is about 200 miles WSW west of me and she had 80 degree weather yeasterday. In this area it makes you nervous. Make me think we are going ot have a some tornados. Allready did south of here towards Ark boarder.
also the weather changes very fast. will hit a high of mid 70s today and a low of 27 tomorrow night.

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2107402

Yes, very early. We are 81 already today. My crabapple tree is gloriously blooming. Hasn't looked this good in years. The daffodils are almost done, the crocus are finished, and the hosta sprouts are starting to unfurl. yeah!!!

My heuchera is starting up, the astilbe is sending up little red shoots, the ginger has odd looking 'blooms' at the base, I didn't know it even did that. LOL

The clematis is leafing out nicely too. Now we are supposed to get cold next week and have a freeze. great...

Susan
=^..^=
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2006
10:59 PM

Post #2108131

Susan I seen that weather report will be down into the 20s a couple times next week here. The lake surface temperature just toped 50 in this area today so that warm water will help to keep things a bit warmer for me. I do not have anyhting at a point of getting caught frozen. I have Silleto that are leafing out but will just put pots over them at night to be sure.
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2006
10:37 AM

Post #2137819

ozarkian
What's wrong with Palace Purple? I have it growing with Japanese Painted Fern and it looks quite nice. I like the airy white flowers with the fern. What bad habits do they have? LOLPixie
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2006
1:13 PM

Post #2138031

I just do not like it. It is hard to control here. It is not compact like a lot of Heuchera. The hairy stems I do not care for either. The flowers are another thing that bugs me. The flowers are so small and they bloom so heavy I am cutting them off about every week.

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #2138342

Pixie, I like my palace purple too. It grows better than some of my others. Oz, just doesn't like it. He is the only one I have heard say that.

We have told him to send them to us, but he hasn't agreed to that yet. LOL

Susan
=^..^=
godsplace
Toledo, IA
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3493780

hi--try growing some--i take a 70 to 90 cell growing tray with clear cover then take some sand and run it thru a piece of window screen-makie sure its dry-then take a cheap felt tip marker the kind the end comes out of -a flat end twist with pliars and remove then take the insides out and wash out and dry --then put the cap back on -and fill with sand then cap the big end again and play with it--i just hold marker in my fingers and tap lightly and out comes a small amount of sand just move it along and lightly tap the pen- i usuallyput a small circle in each cell or go from corner to corner in each cell----when you are thru playing you take a spoon and fill the thing back up and dump it out in a small glass bowl twice and add seed glass doesnt add static--then mix the seed thouroughly--i usually try for about four seeds per cell when adding seeds-wet the mediumm thouroughly then sprinkle seeds and sand in cells and lightly mist-dont cover seeds--put on top and wait-the seeds are tiny tiny and in about a week tiny tiny heuchera--very slow growing--tales about four months from seed to planting-need light to sprout-i plant about four flats and grow them under flourescent lights three lights-i like dales strain-green with silver patches and mixed heucheras green-bright green-yello-who knows-and purpurea instead of palace purple select---that way you get about ten variations of purple tp purple greendark veins dark leaf silver patches ect ect-i grow two flats pf purpurea if possible---have a-nice variation you grew yourself---others you have to buy as singles goood luck--palace purple are ok but i like a little darker purple which the purpurea gives me as well as variables besides if you grow lots it gives you lots to pick between--plant them too thick then transplant ones you decide against the third month of the second year-or cull them then-the second year is really helpful in telling how they will bei plant about six inches apart both ways ----stevo
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3534686

jaz,
I know I'm piping in late here, but if you do a google search on Heucheras a lot of fine places will come up. Another good source is the Garden Watchdog or Plant Scout here at Daves Garden. You can type in the plant you are looking for and companies that sell it will come up.

All of mine are fairly new so unfortunately I don't have any that I can share. I do have Palace Purple if you'd like that one? It's pretty common though and you can find that almost anywhere for a good price. If you're interested shoot me a d-mail

Kelly
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #3548308

I have most of mine growing in full sun but I agree with the post above for Jazmine, being in her warmer climate, zone 9, I would definitely plant them in shade.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heucheras and Friends Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Any Heuchera Experts Out There, specifically deer-resistant JudithI 19 Feb 14, 2009 5:00 PM
Colorful Heucheras sanannie 148 Aug 2, 2007 5:10 PM
Palace Purple Overexposed! (Warning...this is scary) Erynne 24 May 31, 2007 3:30 PM
Question about wintering over Heucheras BlueAsh 17 Mar 28, 2007 9:57 AM
Cinnabar Silver sanannie 8 Jul 18, 2007 12:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America