Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Front-load users - Dea's hand smacks forehead ;)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

We have the Kenmore and like I said, we really (surprise) like it. I'm not sure how all the others are designed, but they probably have the large rubber round piece that acts as a seal from the door to the washer. In our model, it's almost balloon like.

So today, I'm washing all the blankets; one was particularly heavy and as I was pulling it out of the machine, it 'caught' the lip of the rubber seal......I started to laugh so hard - there in the space that pulling it back exposed were The Lost Socks The ones I've been looking for now for 3 weeks along with another delicate article. Apparently when wet, they can slip in between and the centrifugal force of these front spinners forces them into this nifty little hiding place.

Embarassed? Yup, since homecare stuff is dear to my heart and keeping everything clean - well, ok, I'm embarassed. Anyhow, if you have a front loader with high speed spin, you just might want to peel back that rubber thingie and see if any lost socks are found :)

Dea

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

So it's true! Washers DO eat socks. And never the whole pair - only one, leaving the other sock mateless. chuckle....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ours is a Frigidaire front loader. I need to check the seal on ours for contraband. ;) If you'd not told me about this, I never would know to look.

Kind of related to the missing socks, have you ever noticed there's never two shoes by the side of the road? If there's a shoe, there's never a mate to be seen near it. Really makes ya wonder.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

We have a Kenmore- you really do have to check inside that rubber seal after you've run a load!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I meant to post and say that I checked our Frigidaire's rubber door gasket and there is no opening for socks to enter. Good thing for us! LOL

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

ROFL that is so funny! Note to self: buy the Fridgidaire. =)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The Frigidaire's gasket has little drainage holes which channel any excess water back into the drum. We leave it cracked open in between uses and have never had a problem with mold or mildew.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Hmmmmmm, (rubbing chin, and thinking).................

I've always suspected my washer had an appetite for socks. Never worried too much though. We always had this tidy little agreement.....

"Ok, you wash all the clothes, and you can have a few socks in return now and then. As long as you don't get too greedy and eat too many, and you leave me a few."

Since they aren't terribly expensive, at least the ones I buy aren't, this seemed to be a nice little deal. This arrangement seemed to roll along and work for the both of us thru the years. We became very close. Sometimes I would even share some of my most intimate garments........ a'hm.

Then one day I began to wonder if maybe I didn't know my close wash-day friend as well as I thought......... Maybe an affair, maybe someone else,
who could it be ?

It was an eye-opening day, yes it was................... the day my washer gave
BIRTH to a TOWEL !

JUST FOR FUN.
I was surprised when a towel I'd never seen showed up in my washer. As it happened, our teenage son acquired one at the gym and threw it in the wash when I wasn't looking. Hhaha.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found stuff your kids have thrown in. LOL

Happy wash-day to all................... :))

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Now I've been trying to negotiate a new deal with my friend.

"After so many socks... and a couple of my nicest undies, you make me a new towel, .....Ok ? "

I'm still waiting for the reply though.........

Am I the only one who talks to their washer-friend ? Hhhhmmmph ! Well, don't knock til ya try it. Maybe you could ask some of those front loaders where they been hiding your socks.

Cypress, TX

You need to use the sock that lost its mate and clean that rubber thingie called a (bellow) in the tech world to clean the rub/thing real good once a week. Leave the door open just a little to dry out after every use. And run a clean cycle monthly per owners manual. Because its going to cost you 2 Ben Franklins for a tech to come out and replace that thingie and get the stinch out of your front loader.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Does the rubber door gasket thingie in your washers have drain holes? Ours has holes in the bottom which empty toward the drum. Maybe that's why we don't get the unholy stink?

Alpharetta, GA

What is HE detergent? I will be needing a new washer and dryer. was thinking of the front load and then heard there are stackables. Does anyone have info on this item? Wondering if vibration would be a problem.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi-Efficiency is what HE stands for. Front-loaders user 1/3 or less the water that a top-loader does. The formulation of the HE detergent foams less than regular detergent.

Our Frigidaire set is stackable, though we have them side-by-side. If you search for stackable front-loading washers, you'll find a bunch. :)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Never had a problem with the socks, but have had more than one occasion when the repair man came to find the problem with out top loader as it was eating bullets. Steve was forever leave 22 shells (live) in his pants pockets.
Now we have the LG frontloader and the best feature is the "bullet catcher" they called it a coin catcher in the store, but I inquired and it is indeed a bullet catcher as well!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Very common in front loaders. I heard that time and time again when I was doing Internet research on how to get rid of the mildew smell. And, lo and behold, I had socks buried in dog and cat hair. It was lovely. Now, cleaning that out is party of my regular laundry-washing.

The common thought is that the stink comes from the fact that we rarely do wash in hot water anymore. Apparently you're supposed to do at least one hot load a week to kill any mildew that may form.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have Whirlpool duet that's about 5 years old now. When researching front loaders, I read about losing socks etc....but it doesn't happen with mine. I do have to clean that area out after I wash rugs and dog blankets because all the hair accumulates in that space is amazing.

As for mildew I have always left the door ajar (my old top loaders just I left open)

Haighr--where is your 'bullet' catcher located?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

It is in the front toward the bottom, you open up a little door and there is a flex tube to drain excess water after numerous loads and also a little pull out "coin catcher".

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

This ecard at American Greetings reminded me of this thread. The only place the socks don't mention being is stuck in the rubber gasket of a front loader! LOL http://www.americangreetings.com/ecards/display.pd?prodnum=3126723&path=31871

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Gardenwife,
That was pretty cute!
I hope yu are a little color than we are up here near the lake today it's 90F -- too hot to be out in the garden.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have spent the day outside since it felt cooler than inside; we tarry as long as we can before putting on the AC and, while the house may be cooler inside, we have a wonderful breeze outside and it feels cooler. It's now 89, cooling off from the high of 92. I haven't really *done* anything today other than unload the plants from the Ohio River Valley roundup, and we did that around 9:30am before it got hot. The rest of the day I've sat in the shade and puttered around online or read. ;)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That's crazy you guys. We've had unseasonably cool temperatures here and are dying for some sun and 70 degrees. Talked to my girlfried in Baltimore today. It was supposed to be 99 and 80 percent humidity there again today. Eeeeek!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Katie- this weather just got here last week up until then it was in the high sixties. One extreme or the other.
haighr-I was doing laundry yesterday and thought about that 'coin catcher and I don't see one on my machine :(

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Windstorm here today - the kind we usually see in February or March. And the mountain passes (which are only about 45 minutes from the city) are expecting snow. Brrrrrrr.

Don't think I have a coin catcher, either. I have the Kenmore front loader set.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Check out what Joycet found in her washer's gasket, Dea. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7296362

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

whoa.........

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Now that is a real Christmas gift!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Fabulous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.