Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Violas and Violettas: Seed planting

Communities > Forums > Violas and Violettas
bookmark
Forum: Violas and ViolettasReplies: 8, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2087267

Got my viola and pansy seeds planted. I think it was 5 varieties, and different methods so hopefully will have good luck with some.

I have done as in the picture above, put violet flowers on cupcakes as decorations. Very pretty and fun. No sign yet of any ccoming up out in the garden. the frost is just leaving, highest temp. so far this winter was today 50 degrees, so spring isn't here yet.

DonnaS
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2090305

I have one little pot with 5 seedlings up and making real leaves now. I have to get them transplanted today. The other two boxes have only shown grass seedlings so far - you'd think purchased soil would be weed free, wouldn't you? But I'm expecting to see some pansies soon. I have Romeo and Juliet, Antique Shades, and Copperfield planted. Those that are up are Antique Shades.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2006
2:41 PM

Post #2090653

teh Antique shades of pansies are probably my fav. Didn't plant any this year, am trying to cut down on seed planting. They all have to be planted out in the garden later, and it is getting harder for me to do that, healthwise.

DonnaS
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #2090670

I have about 8 diff. varieties of Viola and pansy planted, and probably a dozen more to do. I just bought more seeds yesterday! Yikes! And I"m going to town today, with the purpose of buying seeds. DH is gonna freak LOL I told him to get a tiller this year, cause I'm probably gonna at least triple my planting areas this year. We have almost an acre of flat land, and I want COLOR everywhere :)

Janis
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2006
2:17 PM

Post #2155028

I just purchased some 'Antique Shades' seed online. I am in zone 5 and never started these from seed. When they arrive, should I direct sow, or start them indoors? Tamara
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #2155046

zone5girl, I too live in zone 5 and for me here it is too early to direct plant pansy seed outside. but they do need cool to germinate, 60 to 65 degrees, if you can find a location with those temps. Hope this helps.

DonnaS
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2006
11:50 AM

Post #2157199

Although they say cool temps, I have to germinate them in July in the greenhouse-the outside temps are in the 90's so I put a shade cloth on the greenhouse which brings me into the 80's for temps during the day. I get about 85-90% germ rate.
I would start them now-lay them on top of the soil, mist everyday with cold water and cover until they germ, then uncover and mist until they put out their first leaves.
Pansies do better with dryer soil-even when they are very young.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2157481

tigerlily123, thanks for the info, even tho I have been trying to grow pansies many years I just did what the envelope said, don't think I ever tried to germinate seed in warmth. Good info to put seeds on top of soil and mist with cold water. Thanks again.

DonnaS
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #2157566

Donna-germinate in as much light as you can, and mist the inside of the plastic as well as the seeds every day. Good luck

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Violas and Violettas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome, Pansy and Violet-lovers! Terry 6 May 25, 2007 11:25 AM
Anybody use them in cooking? Dea 10 Feb 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Wild One hczone6 15 May 15, 2008 8:18 PM
Wild violets kniphofia 5 Mar 26, 2007 3:58 PM
All violets are not the same anastatia 8 Sep 25, 2007 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America