Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Shade Loving Bushes

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2006
4:36 AM

Post #2087606

I would love to hear from everyone out there on any suggestions for a partial shade, acid soil area that needs a new bush to take up residence. I need something that grows relatively fast. I know I can consider the rhodendrens and azaleas route, but I don't think those are fast growers, right?. I just have a mental block on anything else I could consider. I need a bush to help screen out the view of my neighbors down hill from me. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rebecca30
chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2087870

Lorapetalum 'Zhuzhou Fuchsia' is a fast grower. Dirr says that a 10 inch plant grew to 4 feet in a single season for him and that mature height estimate is 10 feet . I don't have one but think they are really lovely.

Shari
diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2006
6:33 PM

Post #2088738

they ARE fabulous shrubs, i can attest. they retain that wonderful purple foliage year-round .. mine's in bloom right now. fast growing, easy care. nice form.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2093942

Rebecca,
I have very little shade but I like using Hosta, Hydrangea, Lorapetalum, Sweet Olive, Indian Hawthorne, Gardenia and Mock Orange.
Alice
CarolinaCathy
Summerville, SC

March 8, 2006
2:57 PM

Post #2095699

Hi Alice,

I love gardenias and I've tried them in my shady areas, but they got loaded with pests and died after two years. I drive around town and see established plants that people hack and shear and seem indestructible. I sprayed and babied and had no luck at all. Any hints for getting new ones established?

Cathy
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2006
3:04 PM

Post #2095714

Cathy,

My mom had gardenias that were heirloom of sorts - and planted them in full sun mulched with pine straw. We'd have to adjust when the leaves got yellow every few years, but mostly they thrived and loved it. The ones we had were easy to root from cuttings too. What varieties are you getting?

Swoznick
CarolinaCathy
Summerville, SC

March 9, 2006
1:55 PM

Post #2098388

Hi Swoznick,

I had the August Beauty gardenias. I need something for full shade on the north side of my house -- it does get about 1/2 of sun at the end of the day. Should I look for a different variety?

Cathy
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2006
2:40 PM

Post #2098499

Cathy,
My Gardenias get only morning sun and I haven't had any pest problems with mine.
Alice
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2099382

I love Hydrangeas, camellias, azaleas, tea olive, banana shrub is primo, smells so good. Spreas are nice too, Boxwoods will take some shade, you could do sassanqua camellias also, in addition to the japonicas. You could also do ligustrum, I have found that they will grown in the partial shade, if you want big coverage fast, how about eleagnus, grows fast, gets really big and smells awesome in the spring.

Ginny
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2006
8:32 PM

Post #2099410

I agree with Ginny - why not Camillias? You'll get a shrub that can go up to 8 feet or more and flowers during cooler weather. There's quite a few varieties for color choices too.. I don't recall ever seeing one that had pest problems - hardy growers up here. Evergreen too.

Swoznick
baileynboo
Southport, NC

June 13, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2386090

This message was edited Jun 13, 2006 10:45 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2006
5:45 PM

Post #2386217

Cathy, I can't imagine what could cause a gardenia to fail to thrive in Summerville. I used to live there and that was one of those "you can't kill it" plants. Have you had your soil tested? How close to the house is this area where you want to plant. Often the lime from the concrete foundation will leach into the soil making it too alkaline for an acid lover like gardenias. If the growing conditions are not right the plant will be weaker and more suseptable to pests I would check the pH and try again; perhaps new ones will do beautifully.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America