Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Smoke Alarms

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

My brother visited recently, and a couple of the alarms chose that time to begin that awful chirping. The units are hard-wired into the electrical grid with battery back ups in case of power outages. Changing the batteries shut one of them up but not the other. I was under the impression that the basic hard-wired portions were good indefinitely, but apparently not so, according to this handyman article:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffire/infsmokealarm.shtm

These units are approaching nine years of age, so there's another item (sigh!) added to the To Do list. Likely to be expensive, but less costly/traumatic than a fire........

Yuska

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yuska, They are about $10 to $15 each and not hard to replace.
I've had to do mine.
Andy P

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info. With balance problems I can't mount a ladder but getting a handyman in shouldn't be too bad.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

By the way, there was a house fire just a block away last Friday.
The smokes didn't go off, the dog sent out the alarm.
Andy P

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Wonderful dog!

One of my cousins asked if I have carbon monoxide monitors. No, I don't; my house has no gas connections and no fireplace. But any house that has open flame should have the monitors, which should also be checked regularly.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Carbon monoxide detectors are now required in this state.
Andy P

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I just learned that there are smoke/cm combo units available. A compact convenient way to enchance protections for our homes and lives.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.