Photo by Melody

Woodworking: Bending Jigsaw Blades with Pressure treated wood.

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 4, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Magwar
Royston, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2092093

I Continuously have this problem with my jig saw blades bending when I am trying to make a curve in the wood. I can't understand for the life of my why. I have went to several sites trying to find out what I am doing wrong, and each to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my blade would bend?

Make any sense as to what kind of bending or bowing out I am talking about?
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2094631

When cutting througha thick piece of wood, whether in a straight line or a curve, frequently the blade will bend out some. Going to a wider blade helps as does creeping along slowly instead of my usual impatient pushing.The copper arsanate or whatever they are using to pressure treat the wood does seem to make it tougher to cut. Try cutting slower and possibly check to see that the blade you are using isn't too wide for the radius you are trying to cut. Good luck
Magwar
Royston, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2006
12:54 AM

Post #2100041

Thanks balvenie. I had been trying to cut through pressure treated 2x4's and 90% of the time would end up throwing them faster than I could blink because of the cut looking like this instead of this I. Its aggrivating because I didn't know if it was the type of jigsaw I was using or not.

Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2006
10:24 PM

Post #2105355

It might also have to do with the type of blade you are using. My suggestion would be to make sure the teeth of the blade aren't too small or too fine.
Frankay
Northport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2006
2:16 AM

Post #2108661

If you are cutting 2X4s on a jig saw you better go slow. You are pushing the equipment to it's limit. Get a bandsaw! Jig saws are made for fancy accurate cuts through thin expensive hardwoods. 2X4s are for framing houses.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America