Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Plants: Growing Cannas in Containers

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sedum37
Westford, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2006
2:35 PM

Post #2093017

I am new to growing cannas from the rhizomes. This year I am planning to grow in containers:

- 3 'Firebird'
- 1 Madame Paul Caseneuve

My questions:
Since I am zone 5, my last frost date is usually late May. So if I get my canna rhizomes in late April/early May can I pot them in smaller pots and get them going inside earlier? Then later in May put them out into their final larger container? I guess I am asking if they mind having their roots disturbed or not.

Also since these are considered dwarf cannas, does anyone have a suggestion of ultimate pot size? Is 18" too small? Can I plant other things in the larger pot?

Anyone have the Canna book by Timber Press? Is it worth getting?

Thanks
Sue
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

March 7, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2093137

I would suggest growing them out in 1 gallon size pots first this will give them a head start. When removing them if grown well the roots will stay together and should not cause much stress if any to the plants. As for container size the larger the better and the more you can put in it. I keep tons of cannas in 1 gallon pots all summer with no problem provided I water them regularly. 10 gallons do well and larger. I would suggest coleus and sweet potatoe vine for adding to the pot but other annuals do great to.

The book is well worth it.
sedum37
Westford, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #2093328

Thanks for the fast response -- and from an expert I see. Great I have some of those 1 gallon nursery pots left over I can get them started inside and then later transfer them to larger pots. Good to know that I could grow them in smaller pot sizes (1 Gallon) with frequent watering if necessary. I did read that they require heavy watering and feeding. I have a B&N gift card I may go get that book today...

Brian -- Beautiful cannas on your web site and the ones you post on this forum!

Sue

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America