Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

First blue water lily for the season

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The bulbs of this lovely plant was given by a friend last July. Am pleased to have this one blooming. It died and the second one will open tomorrow. I have the pink ones too, but they are yet to show any signs of blooming.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

How pretty! Thanks for sharing!
Kelly

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Dinu.....I ordered a blue one a few weeks ago, do you know what variety yours is?
MerryMary

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I'm trying to identify it, Mary. Taken another shot today and it is slightly better than this one. Will post soon.
Dinu

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I just ordered two varieties of blues! I can't wait to see them bloom after seeing yours. It's beautiful!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Here is the latest and probably the best.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Even better!

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Another.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like Tina to me, but I could be terribly off.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Tina? I'm sorry I'm a complete novice with water plants.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful lily, Dinu. I believe KillerChihuahua is saying that your lily looks like the cultivar named 'Tina'. Take a look at this: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51329/index.html

Mason, MI(Zone 5b)

http://www.maclochdesigns.com/wg/pics/pamelawtlly.html

Could it be a Pamela tropical lily?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Later, I posted images of this under Nymphaea 'Tina'.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Aiea, HI(Zone 11)

I'd say either "Tina" or "Panama Pacific." What do the leaves look like? Is is viviparous?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes, they are viviparous. I have posted a picture of its appearance in PF.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

What the heck is 'viviparous?" And it is really lovely. I just received notification from TWL that mine were coming any day. Hope I ordered a blue one.

Aiea, HI(Zone 11)

Viviparous is a generic term. It's used to describe tropical waterliles (and some hardys as well) that can produce plants other then by division of a tuber offshoot or rhizome division. For tropicals, it is seen through the leaves. Certain varieties can make new plants at the petiole of each pad. For hardys some can make new plants from the flowers. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does. I have learned a new thing. Thanks bunches!
Mary

Aiea, HI(Zone 11)

Not a problem. Glad that I was able to help.

thanks Dinu. that is really facinating.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Blue banded bees are fond of these. When the sun shows up in the morning and when the bud is opening for the day, these bees hover around it wondering 'why is it not open yet?'. It takes a while for the bud to open and show the pollinating parts and let in the bees. Hope you notice the bee up there!

Thumbnail by Dinu

Oh, yes! I see him. Your pictures are marvelous. with my camera, to get a shot like that, I would have to lay on my stomach, hang over the pond, and pray I didn't fall in. lol. Which I HAVE done --- both taking a picture and falling in the pond. Once through the ice. No more stepping on the ice for me.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

That's quite funny to hear! Only to hear and imagine! But you must have felt funny too after a while and I hope the camera came up safe. That means your pond is larger. Mine is about 5 ft. wide and 10 ft. long in bean shape. You can see that shot in my DG blog I linked you on D-mail. I have taken that shot from the balcony.

Please resend the link. I have looked and looked. I am not always good at finding things on DG. The two times I fell in I didn't have my camera. Once, simply loosing my balance. Very silly. Once in the spring I went out on the ice when it was very thin (very stupid) and simply fell through. My family will never let me forget this and have gotten a lot of humor at my expense. Funny, yes. but scary also since had I not been able to get out, hypothermia would have ended me. My DH didn't know I was out there and wouldn't have looked for quite some time.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/ Does this open?
More info on your fun time 'in the pond'! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.