We started off a few weeks ago, here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/577863/

After lots of help and advice from fellow DG'ers I've arrived here:

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Here they are--a little crowded? :-)

I took them out of the box, dipped their beaks in water, and it wasn't long til they were right at home. :-)

They were thirsty!

Here is the free "exotic" anyone have a clue what he is?

Here is a picture of his back.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Melissa, they are so cute!! Maddie and Jazzi are delighted with your pics.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

The exotic looks like our Ameraucana babies to me. Sort of.

Or Silver Leghorn? Or Rose Comb Brown Leghorn?

Or maybe Phoenix? I bet it's a Phoenix.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2006 2:54 PM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

What kind did you order? They all look nice and healthy. I bet you are having fun too. They are soooo cute !

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh, by the way..............thanks for the pictures. I've never seen how they are shipped. Always wondered what the shipping crate would look like.

Zeppy, we've kinda decided he's a Silver Leghorn. He has a lot of Grey on his head. But those are the two I have it narrowed down to. My daughter claimed him/her has HERS when she came home from school. :-) I'll get some more pictures of him in a bit.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/silver_leghorns.html

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/phoenix.html

Peggy, I got 25 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Red Stars. The Red Stars have 2 red stripes down their backs and the Buffs are just all yellow. I was amazed at how they were shipped too, I thought maybe others would like to see that hadn't ordered through the mail before.

Chele, you'll have to bring the girls down.... you'll be doing this soon enough! :-) I am just amazed watching them.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd love to come for a visit but they'll be cranking out eggs before I come up for a breath. LOL

They are so cute!

Oh, c'mon Chele!

OK... now that I'm calmed down some, I'll fill ya'll in on some more of today's adventure with the chicks.

Hubby made a smallish brooder box. I thought it was too small. So I get the brilliant idea to use one of the smaller dog cages to put them in, and then would progress to the bigger dog cage we have in the barn in about a week.

My thinking on that was we could still watch them, and they'd be protected from the dogs and the cats. (2 of each) Well, I didn't think about how large the openings in the cage are, so as I was getting them out of the box today, dipping their little beaks, they were getting a drink, and eating, and about 3/4 of the way through, the first ones I did decided that they were going to explore... and they started hopping out through the sides of the dog crate when one would jump out, another one would see and follow suite... so I'm sitting on the floor trying to coral chicks all the time yelling at our one cat not to do anyhing, he was perched on top of a chair amusing himself with my antics, and probably not planning on going anywhere and leaving his entertainment. :-)

I had put the dogs and the other cat outside, this kitty doesn't go out unless he's supervised or on a leash... LOL So, I get some flat rate boxes and stick in the sides of the crate to keep them from hopping out the sides. So I only have the back and the front to contend with. I manage to get a peice of cardboard cut and taped to the backside of the crate, then I do the sides and take out the cardboard inside the crate. It was sooooo interesting to watch them when I put the cardboard on the back. I used the printed side facing towards them, and several of them walked over and looked like they were reading the box! It was hillarious... anyway, I get the cardboard on, no more chicks are jumping out at me, so I'm starting to calm down. I get the light clamped in place, plug it in, turn it on... nothing.

I get another lightbulb... nothing.... I take the lightbulb to a lamp and try it. it works. So my light must be bad. Not a biggie, I'll go to the hardware store in town and buy a new one. Just as a precaution, I carried the crate to the bathroom and sat it in the bathtub. Went to the Hardware store and she didn't have any lights. She asked what kind of switch it had, and said, "why don't you just fix yours, really the switch is the only thing that can go wrong with it." Well, I'm half crazed with baby chicks running across my kitchen floor, so I hadn't really thought about fixing, I just wanted to buy a new one! Anyway, I buy the switch to fix the lamp, came home, fixed the lamp, go to retrieve the chicks, and one is in the bathtub looking at me. I have NO idea how that one got out other than it's an escape artist.

I get the light installed, some of them are under it, some aren't... so I guess they're happy with the temperature, as none of them are staying under it constantly... a few of them will move under it then go eat or drink some more.... I'll watch tommorrow, and may switch to a lower wattage light bulb and see if that keeps them under the light, or like they are now. Suggestions on this welcome, by the way.

My 8 year old son is just totally and completely fascinated with them. Tonight, he sat down in front of the cage, put cardboard down and opened the door. He was blocking escape with his legs spread on either side of the cage. A few at a time, the chicks would jump out and come and inspect him, see if he had anything to eat, then jump back in the cage. He was giggling and laughing at them. My son unfortunately took after his mother in that he's a blonde with Red headed tendancies... he freckles terribly, and at times his hair has a red cast to it. (it's a curse, hubby is a blue eyed blonde who TANS with few freckles) Anyway, one of the chicks noticed a freckle on my son's leg and decided it was fair game for a possible food source. Of course, as soon as a few of the others noticed what the chick was doing, they had to come and inspect too.... so son is sitting there giggling his head off because the chicks are pecking away at his freckle. It was comical.... they are just really REALLY fun to watch, and I'd encourage ANYONE to try it!

I swear they have grown since this morning!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Congrats, Melissa! Yay! The fun begins!

You'll love it!

(As for the mystery chick, I'm inclined to say/guess, Araucana. Wonderful birds! Hope it's female so you get to witness the colored eggs!)

Shoe

We had some that laid the colored eggs when I was growing up. Ours were always a blue/green color though, nothing too exciting. Since my daughter has "claimed" that chick, I really hope it's a female too. :-)

I'm hoping that Chele will order some soon, I want to add a few crested chicks, and a couple of the Araucana's maybe for the novelty factor... but, I need to get them quick so they can all acclimate together fairly well, and I don't think that I'm up to another 25 myself! :-) Help me work on her Shoe! :-)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe...you got da fever now!

Okay...all we gotta do next is convince 'Chele/BSeed to get her coop fit for livin' in (for chickens). No problem. Show her pics of chicks, bribe her girls, and there'll be feathers flying her way. You'll see! YOu'll see!

Nitey nite!
Shoe.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

That's funny. I can just picture you with those chicks. LOL.

We have 10 babies now, in a big cardboard box with a light. It is crazy what they will peck at. My daughter made a dot with a marker on the inside wall of the box. The chicks all ran over and started pecking at it. The kids all went wild with laughter.

I keep a plastic trash bag on bottom of box, covered by newspaper, and then the shredded pet bedding on top of that. Works fine, but can't wait till they can go outside in the pen.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Awww... I wanted to order chicks so bad! Not fair! I have to wait next spring. Ugh.......... They are soooo cute... Thanks for posted which it made me smile..

We are having so much fun with them! It's amazing how their little personalities are already coming out, we lost one of the Buff Orpingtons, not sure why, they were all fine last night.

They are roosting on their feed pan... the one that is supposed to discourage that! LOL

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

THey're so cute and can tell they's growing a bit. DH started feeling bad for me.... and said go and check those barn shed and find out about prices... buy chickens.. Other day, we passed by the feeder store where I bought chickens before. I said, look they have more chicks!!!!! He said go and buy some. I thought.. where can I put them if they get big and not want to be around with two older hens.. I decided to wait.. also I don't want them to get in my veg garden!

Mini, I have raised beds and my chickens were very cute pecking and scratching in them, until they grew up. They're still cute, but watching a pansy seedling go flying five feet through the air (they just eat the lettuce down to the ground) isn't so fun. Don't you let any ruin that gorgeous garden you just dug!

We're leaning towards this guy being a Silver Leghorn.... what does everyone else think? If it is, I want to get a few more of them, this one has the neatest personality of all of them.

She/He is very photogenic as well. :-)

Here is a side shot, she's got the different colors coming in on her feathers that to me, makes her look like a Silver Leghorn, but there aren't any female phoenix's pictured at McMurray's site.

Her legs have a blueish cast to them.

Back view.

I'm ready for my closeup!!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That's beautiful chick.. I still want a brown leghorn chick..

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"Her legs have a blueish cast to them."

That makes me think even more-so you may have an Aracauna. (From what I remember the Leghorns have the usual orange-ish-colored legs...perhaps there are varieties with dark legs now?)

The Aracauna's always have blueish or greenish colored legs (hence the reason they lay the blue/green eggs).

Either way, I think you'll be pleased with whatever it turns into!

My Ameraucanas looked very much like that; same stripe down the back.

Second one from the left is an Ameraucana.

Thumbnail by Zeppy

Oh, for heaven's sake. Why did it do that?

Thumbnail by Zeppy

Well, I have 8 of them coming April 3, so I guess we'll see! She is just so neat, I wanted to get a few more of her, whatever she is! LOL

Cute chickies Zeppy!!!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

How did you manage to order just 8 of them ? I thought the minimum order was 25. I'd like to order a small number, but can't find anyplace that will ship that few in an order.

LOL I have 8 of the Americana's coming... plus some crested, some more red star, you get the idea. I haven't seemed to have had a problem with meeting the 25 min quota. More like, I need to try to hold it to 25.

My little unknown girl is still the neatest of the bunch. She lets us hold her, and just "talks" away... she'll stand on the table on her towel and just look around... she's really neat. She's always the first when I stick my hand in, always the first to the new water and new food too. :-)

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I love the "ready for my closeup" picture.

:-) I do too. I need to take more, my gosh, how they change in just 5 days!

Here is my little guy a few minutes ago. This one likes to walk up his arm, across his shoulders and down his other arm.... I guess she found a good place to stop for a rest. :-)

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you and the kids have a blast with the little chicks, and they are soooo cute, that last picture reminds me of my son when I had egg laying hens, Christer liked to carry them around a cuddle with them and they loved it
Janett

Part Two. :-)

It just doesn't seem like the first ones were EVER this small... but they were. :-)

This message was edited Apr 3, 2006 1:55 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images