Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Large bags/bulk vermiculite and perlite in San Antonio area

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2006
1:06 AM

Post #2115484

Does anyone know where I can get vermiculite and perlite in larger quantities than the 8-10 quart bags? I'm going tomorrow.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2006
1:26 AM

Post #2115520

Barbur, I dont't know about vermiculte and perlite, but you can get zeolite in huge bags like 40 pound size. I think I bought mine at Gardenville in San Antonio. It's worth a phone call. If they don't have it, they might know who would.

Mary Lee
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2115625

Thanks silverfluter, I will check with them. What is zeolite?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2006
2:10 AM

Post #2115636

This page will explain what it is. Maybe silverfluter will tell you what she uses it for.

http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/zeolite.html

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2006
2:28 AM

Post #2115674

Thanks Bettydee, that's really good info.

I've added zeolite to some of my potted plants that like lots of moisture, like rabbits foot fern and a jasmin that I just bought. I've had it for a long time and just never used it. I've read that you can add it to flower beds too. I did use once to clean up an oil spill we had in the garage.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2117126

Has adding zeolite made any difference in how often you water? I have a bunch of Brugmansias in pots and wonder if adding zeolite would allow me to reduce the number of times I have to water without making the soil too wet.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2006
10:44 PM

Post #2117385

This is the first year that I've used it this way, but I either read or heard from Malcolm Beck that you can use it that way. Atleast that's what I understood him to say. I have a brugmansia that might appreciate some zeolite too come to think of it. If you put them in the ground do they establish really deep roots and spread way out? I have considered using it around my roses in the ground, but it seems to me that it would be counterproductive, because roses need to send down really deep roots and there's no way I know of to get the zeolite down that far. If you used zeolite in the first six inches or so it seems that would encourage the roots to stay in that area and be more susceptible to freeze damage. I don't know. I think for vegetables that have shallow roots it might be a really good idea.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2006
5:27 AM

Post #2118097

Roses have very shallow roots and working the soil around them is not advisable. I haven't tried putting Brugmansias in the ground yet, but a lot of people dig them up to overwinter indoors so the roots can't be all that bad. I think it would work on vegetables.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2119364

I am also looking for bulk vermulite.
Nothing at all up in this area. Thought if someone knew of where to get some before Daves roundup t;he 29th of May in Collage Station, Texas is would be great. Would be great trading material.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2121426

well, I guess the next time I put a rose in the ground, I'll try it.
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2006
3:25 AM

Post #2124447

TARogers5, In another thread someone said you can get bulk vermiculite at Southwest Fertilizer at 5828 Bissonett St. in Houston. I looked it up and they are also referred to as Yardgeek.com but when I searched for vermiculite nothing came up. I emailed them so we should be able to find out.

I went to Garden-Ville in San Antonio over the weekend. They had 10 lb. bags of perlite but no vermiculite. Also went next door to Antique Rose Emporium, what a beautiful and interesting place. I'd been to the one near Brenhem and was so impressed by the beautiful gardens. Though the SA one is different because the area is so different I was no less impressed.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2006
3:43 AM

Post #2124472

Yes, I've been to the Rose Emporium (both places) many times. I live in Fredericksburg, which is 1 1/2 hrs from SA and 3 hours from Brenham, but it's worth every penny it takes to get there. It's just fascinating to study their gardens. Everytime I go there's something new. And the people are so knowledgable and patient with me. I've been so many times, they recognize me.

There is one major difference between them though. The Brenham location is not entirely organic but as far as I know the SA location is. Robby, the manager in SA has been a big help to me.

Mary Lee
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2006
5:11 AM

Post #2124619

Yes, someone, probably Robby, told me that they were organic. She was very inspiring and helpful. If they can do it in a large garden like that surely I could do it too.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2006
1:02 PM

Post #2124974

Absolutely you can do it. It's so much easier and safer. There is a nursery here that bases their advice on whether the plants you're growing are fungal or bacterial. It's a whole different approach, but still organic. It's really fascinating. They tell me that roses are fungal, so using alot of cornmeal is not necessarily a good idea because it kills all the fungus, not just the bad stuff. They told me to use humate, so this time I did. I just fertilized yesterday, and can wait to see the difference. There's also some spray I bought to use, I think it's a fish emulsion.

When I realized I could grow roses without spraying all that poison stuff I went crazy and now I have atleast 20 roses. It makes so much more sense to feed the dirt and let the plants figure out what they need.

Mary Lee

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America