working with flax

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

What do you think of the flax decorations I have made? I attend a crat group once a week and a few weeks ago we were given instructions on making flax flowers. I made one at the class and made another one at home. They are the rounded pieces you can see. I still had some flax leaves soaking in the bath so had to do something with them. I then did a bit of thinking and came up with the other pieces. Does anyone else wprk with flax. if so. I would like to see what you have created. The native peoople of New Zealand do the most wonderful weaving work with flax - cloaks. decorative panels, bags etc., as a rank amatuer I am light years away from the beautiful articles they produce but I as a first attempt i am quite pleased with my creation.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Olympia, WA

I can't believe that NO ONE has been moved to post ANY response to your work and your request. I have never worked w/ flax - the concept of weaving plant pieces together just escapes me. I applaud your efforts and hope you will keep it up, even if the folks here have not responded. You have every reason to be pleased w/ what you have done! (This is my first time in this forum!)

Hello Wannadanc, so nice to hear from you. I have just received my monthly gardening magazine and there is an article and pictures of how to make those flax flowers. The ones depicted really look very attractive. I will have to get some more flax leaves and try again. I go into the crafts forum and I enjoy looking at all the crafts displayed.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

I think it is beautiful. Too much for my old fingers to do, but love to see what you have done.

Hi, Lizh,
I know what you mean by old fingers, mine too are getting a bit past it! I also have poor eyesight so quilting and embroidery is beyond me.But I do like doing little crafty things. I have just been making some little gift boxes out of paper and card, just the thing for putting little gifts into. What are your craft intersts?

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Now it is flowers and keeping things "normal" in the green house. Waiting for warmer weather so I can get the plants outside. I spend more time on this computer than I should.

Hi Lizh, hope the warmer weather comes your way soon. Our greenhouse is at the moment filled with rolls of weedmat, tools and pieces of timber. The only thing plant like is some bunches of staice which are hanging up for drying. We are just in the end process of getting a new shadehouse ready for use, hence the grrenhouse being used for storage.

Montgomery Co, IN(Zone 5a)

That is really beautiful. I have never tried anything like that but I would like to try it, I really love the way it looks. Cindy

Hi Cindy, I have scanned the instructions for making flax flowers and posted it. So. if you can read the instructions and if you have access to flax, why not give it a go? It was interesting to see how everybody's flowers looked when the flower had been finished. Each one looked different, some were very closely woven, while otheres were very loose, Lol around the room as we inspected each others efforts.
Tess
p.s. The instructions look very, very small in the preview, can only post it and hope for the best.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Montgomery Co, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Tess. I can read it just fine. I might just give it a shot.
Thx, Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images