Looking for a Chinaberry Tree

Lufkin, TX

Don't know if the seed, (probably not) or have to get cutting or what. But I would love to have one.

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you know the latin name? I have never heard of a CHinaberry tree, I heard of Chinese Hackberry.

Biloxi, MS(Zone 8b)

Cine,
I have seeds for the Melia umbraculiformis ( Texas Umbrella Chinaberry Tree). I started 75 trees from seed about 6 years ago and gave all but 6 away. The seeds I have are still hanging in the tree. I do know the trees I got the seeds from came from Texas about 60 years ago and are still growing.

Glory

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a chinaberry tree at my winter place in florida. It produces myriad seeds and they seem to sprout wherever they land. You should be able to start one from seeds and they grow fast.

Dave

ps: the seeds are like little nuts and they bounce off the roof with a clatter so be thoughtful about where you plant one

Lufkin, TX

Maybe I can take a picture of what I am talking about and post it but I don't know exactly how to do that. I would love to get some of the seeds or seedlings if anyone has any.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Is this it? I believe the seeds are poisonous.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/poisoncenter/plants/chinaberry_b.html

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

I had the DH cut one down today, was growing in some brush with oaks, they are pretty, seedlings coming up everywhere, i have enough to try to control. in a few years you could have millions of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images