Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Trading: Looking for a Chinaberry Tree

Communities > Forums > Plant Trading
bookmark
Forum: Plant TradingReplies: 6, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cine
Lufkin, TX

July 13, 2001
4:13 AM

Post #8374

Don't know if the seed, (probably not) or have to get cutting or what. But I would love to have one.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2001
2:21 PM

Post #93953

Do you know the latin name? I have never heard of a CHinaberry tree, I heard of Chinese Hackberry.
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2001
4:30 PM

Post #94012

Cine,
I have seeds for the Melia umbraculiformis ( Texas Umbrella Chinaberry Tree). I started 75 trees from seed about 6 years ago and gave all but 6 away. The seeds I have are still hanging in the tree. I do know the trees I got the seeds from came from Texas about 60 years ago and are still growing.

Glory
kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2001
11:43 PM

Post #94198

I have a chinaberry tree at my winter place in florida. It produces myriad seeds and they seem to sprout wherever they land. You should be able to start one from seeds and they grow fast.

Dave

ps: the seeds are like little nuts and they bounce off the roof with a clatter so be thoughtful about where you plant one
Cine
Lufkin, TX

July 14, 2001
10:45 PM

Post #94497

Maybe I can take a picture of what I am talking about and post it but I don't know exactly how to do that. I would love to get some of the seeds or seedlings if anyone has any.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2001
2:00 AM

Post #94538

Is this it? I believe the seeds are poisonous.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/poisoncenter/plants/chinaberry_b.html
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 16, 2001
12:54 AM

Post #94942

I had the DH cut one down today, was growing in some brush with oaks, they are pretty, seedlings coming up everywhere, i have enough to try to control. in a few years you could have millions of them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plant Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
have colts foot and a goldenseal bloomingidiot 5 May 29, 2009 7:56 PM
Crocosmia Zanymuse 17 Oct 25, 2007 1:37 AM
CLOSED: Yucca? Melissa_Ohio 8 Apr 6, 2008 3:43 PM
hardy glad bulbs and small yucca plants catbirdsue 8 Apr 5, 2008 11:40 PM
Wanted : Tri color Strawberry Begonia,Blue Sky Flower MsCritterkeeper 18 Feb 23, 2009 11:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America