Photo by Melody

Southwest Gardening: I really hate to bring this up......

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 47, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 16, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2117229

40% chance of rain and high of 59 degrees on Sunday? Do we maybe want to think about bumping it a week?
:(
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2117319

S'okay - I already rained on the parade in the "swap" thread and got booed by the crowd. But really, it doesn't sound like a good weekend to do it - NOAA said additionally it might be T-storms. Which would be lovely, but not to stand under a canvas and metal structure to watch...
jimdaz
Phoenix, AZ

March 16, 2006
10:28 PM

Post #2117340

I think we should ask Jon about how rain proof his place is? He would be the one most affected by it.

2manyplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2006
10:29 PM

Post #2117342

I vote to wait a week.
I don't want to have to eat and look at plants while I'm shivering under an umbrella.
Let's wait for a nice warm sunny day...maybe Saturday???
Just my 2 cents!
Sharon

Thumbnail by 2manyplants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2006
10:34 PM

Post #2117357

it certainly would be more comfortable to be warm and dry, but I could swing either way. Just tell me when and where. However, I remind the group that PC may have brought this on when she said I was "Dreaming darlin' " when I said we may need a tarp to keep out of the rain. The gods are playing with her. heh, heh.

Whatever it takes is what I say. Let it rain, we soooo need it.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 16, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2117359

If I remember the pics of Jon's place correctly? It's pretty wide open :( Not much in the way of cover.
I think it would be infinately more enjoyable if we were dry and warm ;) We just need for Jon to chime in on availabilty.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 4:36 PM
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2006
10:50 PM

Post #2117395

I caught the T-storms forecast, too. I'm ok to wait a week. Problem is a lot of people may not be checking in often enough to catch the reschedule. Jon may have visitors on the 19th anyways:-(

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 16, 2006
10:52 PM

Post #2117399

Whew! I was really apprehensive about posting this. I was afraid everyone was gonna throw dead plants at me :P
2manyplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2006
10:52 PM

Post #2117400

We could email everyone who signed up?????????

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 16, 2006
10:53 PM

Post #2117402

Thats what I was thinking Sharon :)
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2117413

Good idea!
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

March 16, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2117462

Weather forecasters are more often wrong than accurate ;o
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2117624

For what it's worth, I have 2 10 foot pop-ups I can bring if everyone decides to go ahead. It seems as though the forcast is getting gloomier as the weekend gets closer. I'm out for the following weekend as we have garage sale scheduled with the neighbors and the other half has been stacking stuff up for the last week. But it's no big deal other than I was looking forward to rubbing elbows and maybe bending a few with everyone. I don't have a lot to bring so there's no great loss there. I 'll go with the majority (duh!). I think Jon should make the final call as he is our host.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2117635

Jon is probably traveling. He mentioned his schedule would have him out of town a lot lately. I have his email, I'll send something to him directly and suggest he check the forum.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

March 17, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2117639

I agree with the problem on the weather, but I am out of town the following weekend...wwaaaaahhhh! I can send plants by friends, but will miss seeing everyone again and those for the first time!

Susie
>sniff
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

March 17, 2006
1:24 AM

Post #2117661

How about April Fools Day? Not that that would be appropriate for us.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

March 17, 2006
1:24 AM

Post #2117663

uummm- someone might notice that his phone number is posted on the directions thread and give him a call... Sam?

Susie
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2006
1:39 AM

Post #2117714

It's only a 40% chance of rain, though it may be chilly. I'm for whatever you guys all want, though. You can't tell, it may be a beautiful day.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 17, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2117740

I think April fools day is a good idea ;)
sirjonny
Scottsdale, AZ

March 17, 2006
2:31 AM

Post #2117837

Postpone? Heck no.

The Garden of Eden had no canvas, nor did they wear clothes, but somehow they managed.

Native Americans toiled this continent for centuries with nothing more than a pelt and scant shelter, but they all danced in hope for rain. To them it was a blessing.

England is renowned for its gardens, and they would be happy with a 10% chance for sun. Same with Japan.

There are people gardening this weekend in Iceland and Africa, in the Australian outback and in Amazon rainforests.

Humanity has endured thousands of years toiling in sun, sleet, snow and every other condition to bring life from the ground. We owe it to them to be able to spend a couple of hours possibly getting a little wet and possibly feeling a little chill in the air (by the way, it'll be snowing in much of the country). Have we become enslaved by our cliamte controlled homes, car seats that warm us, & misters to cool us?

If you said yes - don't worry. I have a pretty long covered patio that wraps around the house where I've enjoyed many a rainfall without feeling a drop. I'll also have a carport out front under which many a table can be set. And if you do feel a bit nippy, well you can simply step inside the house and have a hot chocolate and watch some HBO. Just leave the plants under the patio!

As far as I'm concerened, there's a 40% chance you might catch a few minutes of rain walking from your car to my place. I think Adam, Eve, the rain doctors and a thousand generations of those who toiled the land in the harshest conditions would say, "Hey, it's just rain. Bring an umbrella."

I say to Mother Nature... "Bring it on - we don't care. In fact we love it."

Thumbnail by sirjonny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kimaz
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #2117880

Wow, I'm just going with whatever you all decide. My big thing was telling my hubby I was going. I haven't signed up I just told him I'm going and he's invited. He balked, thats not his interest. He now wants to go because we are so close to retirement.
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
3:29 AM

Post #2117981

Sounds like we're on for Sunday! Anyone have one of those big (I mean really big) coffee thingies? I was going to bring a veggie tray- but I'd rather bring coffee, but I don't have a big coffee thingie, and who wants cold veggies on a cold day (like Judy said- rain or no, it looks like cool temps! :-)

So...who's got a big coffee thingie?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2006
3:56 AM

Post #2118016

Sir Jon...Whoopee...It's Sunday or never for me...and I'll bring my bumbershoot!

Would it be OK for me to partake of your kindness to have a cup of tea if it gets cold? No coffee for me.

Looking forward to the RU/Swap

Jo
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

March 17, 2006
4:03 AM

Post #2118031

sam's got a really big industrial sized coffee grinder~!!!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2006
6:21 AM

Post #2118119

59* sounds warm to me, wish I could blink myself in for the gathering. I'm like most southwesterners... I'll believe in the rain they are promising when I see it.

A coupla times I actually thought I might make it to this gathering but it's not in the cards this time. ~Blooms

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 17, 2006
12:56 PM

Post #2118422

Wow Jon have you ever been in politics? LOL!!
If you have lots of cover I'm okay :)
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #2118439

Hurray for Sunday. I was so afraid that we will pospone this meeting that I wanted to waint until Sir Jon had his saying.
Thanks Sir Jon for your input.
I have several containers for coffee and tea and I will bring some.
I can hardly wait.
See you all at Sir Jon.

Good gardening and maybe the rain will skip the morning and early afternoon on Sunday.

Rodica
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
1:54 PM

Post #2118508

Gosh that was inspiring. Did anyone else hear America the Beautiful in the backround when they read that? Way to go SirJon! I will bring my 2 ten foot pop ups for additional shelter if we need it. If no one wants a 55 gallon barrel I will bring a six foot table, so let me know by Sat. Still trying to figure out the food, but it sounds like we might need a little Bailey’s for the coffee? If anyone has any suggestions...sing out.

Jim
zanna1
Stockdale, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2006
1:56 PM

Post #2118512

I'll bring the Bailey's!
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #2118523

I'll bring trader joes beans- still looking for an industrial sized coffee maker.

Sam- you've got a grinder? I don't usually get this coffee (hear it's the best, tho) and so I also don't have a grinder.
trueepicure
Alexandria, VA

March 17, 2006
4:38 PM

Post #2118836

If you haven't already purchased the beans, I think you can still grind them at TJ's. 'course, I haven't drunk coffee in years, so I could be completely off base.
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2118950

Oh, I bet you're right :-) Still need a coffee maker...
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

March 17, 2006
6:56 PM

Post #2119121

You may, of course, simply opt to stop by a Dunkin Donuts, they sell coffee in these very large to go 'coffeeholders', something like a gallon or 2? Sheryl help me out here...
It is good coffee and very convenient, has a little pour spout and everything...

Susie
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
7:29 PM

Post #2119167

Oooh, there's an idea. How long would it stay hot for, do you think?
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
7:44 PM

Post #2119196

Even if it poured I'd still be there :)
Brittany
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2006
10:01 PM

Post #2119472

To keep the coffee hot I can bring the one thermos type coffee carafe I have. It holds one large Mr. Coffee potfull, like 12 cups I think. I'll toss it in the truck with the table and coolers.
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #2120261

This is posted on the signup thread also:
OK since no one seems to need a barrel I will bring 2 -10 x 10 popups , 1- 6' table, 2-4 chairs, 1bottle of Bailey's or other suitable Irish cream (Bailey's seems to be scarcer than hens' teeth after St Patty's Day) and 1 other yet to be decided on plant extract, HazzleNut Coffee creamer, 1-Ice chest w/ice and mixed drinks, and some munchables most likey meats,cheese and crackers in some combination.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2006
4:00 AM

Post #2120297

This evening I talked to my 2 friends that are scheduled to come with me...we decided that we would talk again tomorrow evening...but since we are at 4500 ft and that's in the valley...that Benson (our meeting point) would stand a big chance of having snow...and none of us want to drive in that mess...so it will be late tomorrow before we make our final decision. I would certainly hate to miss it, but I-10 is enough trouble with out fighting slick roads...Jo...Frances...and linda
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

March 18, 2006
4:11 AM

Post #2120311

I would hate not to see ya guys but more and more I am looking forward to the swap beyond this one - I am hoping this summer or, at worst, this fall, to have one closer to YOU so we can have a field trip down south, ya'll.

As for this gathering, some of us are close enough to make it come (oops, got a warning re profanity) or high water but I hate to think of anyone trying it in dangerous conditions. If we schedule these each season it won't hurt so bad if weather, or other responsibilities, cause us to miss one. of many.

Those of us that can make it WILL! Those that can't make it should start planning the next! sam

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2006
4:18 AM

Post #2120319

Gotcha, Sam!! I am going to Dave's in TX at the End of April!! Got my ticket and really looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new...We'll make it to Phoenix if possible. Jo
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

March 18, 2006
9:03 AM

Post #2120436

I'd opt for a bright, warm, sunny day in April.
I'm just back from a week in Sacramento... had about 3 hours to kill before my flight took off and opted to spend some time at local nurseries. Awwww... the flowers, shrubs, flowering trees, azaleas... got a great fix on that sort of beauty... how to translate to our desert landscape?
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #2120761

Quit with the waah, 61 degrees was really nice here yesterday.
Felt just lovely. And the chance of rain never materialized.
Bet the weather guys in your neck of the desert aren't any more accurate than the ones we have up here. In the past 24 hrs, they have changed our forecast 14 times...

Still wish I could join you. AND i'd hafta drive past the 'Friscos and Flagstaff and the Mogolllon to get there. But I will be here marking and helping with roofing sheets of metal. thinking of you. LOL Blooms

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 18, 2006
3:09 PM

Post #2120804

Thanks Blooms, we needed that LOL!! I'm starting to feel like Chicken Little :(
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2120831

Blooms, How I wish you could come...but you and DD (CrystalSpin) better be at Drdon's this year!! No kitchen remodels this year!! Jo
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2006
12:50 AM

Post #2121929

Jo, nope we will be all finished by July... AND we are planning on DrDons for the SoCalRU -- this will be the first time I visit in July, I've always been a "California in the winter gal"...

but I've really been a needed helper - in the same function for DS as I used to for his father. Hold the other end of this for a minute, get me that foam strip, brace this for just a minute. All of these really are 'just for a minute' things - hardly a job you would hire out.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 19, 2006
1:06 AM

Post #2121985

ya'll, i'd be up for a plant swap down south. we'll see if anyone in tucson wants to host one in the all.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2121993

Blooms...Been there, done that...after he retired I don't think DH could have gotten as much done as he did if I hadn't been "holind the board".

I can't wait to see you...my DGD from San Diego just got home a few minutes ago!! I reserved my bedroom at her house for that week!!

I haven't seen CrystalSpin in a while...is all well with her? Jo
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2006
1:11 AM

Post #2121996

Please don't make it from around Sept. 15th until Oct 15th...that is my trip back home (East)

...Jo

Edited to add that the contingent from Cochise County plan to be there tomorrow! See ya soon. Jo

This message was edited Mar 18, 2006 7:13 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America