Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Avian flu

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jslocum207
South Elgin, IL

March 18, 2006
12:43 PM

Post #2120610

I'm not sure if anyone has posted on this yet but is anyone else concerned about this? I asked my mammal vet if he knew of injections for poultry , he didn't. If I recall correctly, it seems several countries were vaccinating their poultry. What are we supposed to do if/when it makes it's way here, lock them up? The media has me very concerned. Any thoughts??
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2123273

the media! sometimes i just want to shoot them, don't they have anything better to scare people with???

well, without crossing any AU Policy lines here, let me just say, it has been confirmed by the "experts" over and over, repeatedly, that the first cases would appear in the NW states of Oregon and Washington.

That said, i want poultry so they can FREE range! And if we eat any of them, we will cook them thoroughly. And we certainly won't eat any that die of any cause other than butchering.

Always take precautions with new additions to your flock, to protect them from ANY disease, by keeping the new birds completely separate for at least two weeks, maybe longer?

There are vaccinations for poultry for different types of communicable and airborne diseases. But there are so many strains of Avian Flu, and only certain ones are the real "danger", so i just oculdn't tell you if there was one or not. I would certainly not rely on a mammal vet to know any more than you do.

My advice would be to find other things to worry about. And just take good care of your flock, and keep their pens clean, don't over crowd, feed them good, etc.

this was discussed for a time over in the Farm Life Forum, before this forum was created. Perhaps reading that will ease your mind.

tamara [please forgive me if i said anything inappropriate. i just don't like the media!]

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America