AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2006
11:15 AM

Post #2127262

Hello All,

We are looking for a 10 x 14 storage shed. Anyone have experience with putting together Arrow sheds? Any other sheds? As in: were all the parts there? were the instructions easy to follow? did the steps in the instructions actually work? You know, that kinda stuff.

We are thinking that vinyl coated steel is a good choice. Opinions on that? We are in Arizona so rust is not a major concern but it does rain here - occassionally. Also, we are not prone to tornados or hurricanes, do we really need that anchor kit?

TIA for your words of wisdom.
Mary
kwetz
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2006
2:37 AM

Post #2139550

Do you remember the night before Christmas where you were trying to put the kids new toys together ? Well even if you do not you will have nightmares after you spread all the parts out to an arrow shed. Make sure you lay all the parts out like the picture shows and count to make sure you have enough of each item. .Also read the directions and compare parts a few times before you build it. I've put 3 of them together over the years and after I gave the last away I built a wood 12X16 shed. Much nicer ! One good thing is you do live in a good climate for one as far as keeping it from rusting. They do not last long down here. Wet and wind do em in. But they are cheap and do the job. After you put it together I'd spend a little more and buy some mobile home roof coating and spread it over the top. It will keep the leaks down and help a little with cooling. If not I'd caulk around all the top screws as they tend to leak. I'd get the anchor kit by the way. It's cheap insurance against the occasional windy day . The sheds are light weight for their size and will move it the wind gets strong enough. Don't let me scare you away. They can be built using simple hand tools just like the ad says. Just be aware there are a lot of parts to put together.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2006
10:52 AM

Post #2144531

kwetz, This is good info, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. My hubby is talented at putting stuff together but your comments really helped us get it in perspective. And the tip about roof coating is awesome. We have a small metal shed that came with the house and it leaks like mad every time it rains.

Thanks again.
Mary
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #2272347

Kwetz, thanks for the tip about the leaks. My Arrow shed is over 2 years old and one corner always leaks -- so that's where I've always kept the wheelbarrel! It thought this was painful to assemble, but it's sure been a lifesaver!
mlwdad
Saline, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2292934

A while back I was thinking about a shed (12x10) and was looking at wood kits from places like Lowe's.

I wanted a concrete slab base and contacted several local contractors and found that none wanted to do the job unless it included assembling the shed (to make their minimum job cost)

So I had one bid on just building a shed (concrete slab included) and the bid was 40-50% more than the kits. But I got (I had it done) a little house. Normal construction 2x4 stud walls, shingle roof with vents and gutters and a real exterior door and double hung windows.

Lester

This message was edited May 19, 2006 6:27 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2345460

Hi,

I work at a HD. In general, Aluminum sheds (by Arrow) are a pain in the butt to put together. Too many screws and nuts and bolts!

For the same price (almost) you can ger a vinyl shed
which is much easier to assemble. Besides, you never have to paint vinyl. It does not dent (like an aluminum shed) and does not rust.

The sheds HD (and Lowes, I am sure) will come and assemble on your property are made by Sheds USA. They are wood, have roofing shingles, have a flooring, and options such as windows and skylights. They DO cost a bit more, but are worth the extra $$.

Just my 2 cents worth. Gita

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2006
12:02 AM

Post #2345548

Hey Gita, Thanks a lot for putting in your 2 pennies. I really love being able to ask others what worked and what didn't on their projects. We put the purchase on hold for a bit because of a bunch of other projects we had going. Now it's too dang hot here for building a shed so I hope we can get back to it in the fall/early winter so you folks keep this comments flowing!

Cheers!
Mary
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2346511

Just found your thread here about the shed. Hubby bought a do it yourself kit last spring. Here he is putting it together in May:

Thumbnail by sylvi74
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2346518

And here he is in October, STILL putting it together, with our dogs "helping":

Thumbnail by sylvi74

sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2006
3:40 AM

Post #2346523

And here is the new shed this March, after a windstorm:

Thumbnail by sylvi74

sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2346539

This last shot is after Hubby got over his temper tantrum (during which he jumped up and down on the shed and said a lot of words!) and before he had the dang thing hauled off for scrap. Dmitri the Newfoundland likes to pose when I get out the camera, so I let him be in the picture.

PS - I recommend the anchor kit! Hubby swears that next time he will just hire someone to build one for us, no more sheds for him!

Thumbnail by sylvi74

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #2348072

Ho Boy! That is funny. Definately go for the anchor kit. Thanks for the humor...I don't suppose you have a video clip of the temper tantrum that descimated the shed huh?
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2349109

A video clip? He would have jumped up and down on ME when he was done with the shed!
I did get a still, but it is really dark, cause I figured if he saw the flash go off, it really would mean divorce!
Poor Hubby, I shouldn't laugh because he is really such a great guy, but this was just like something out of Monty Python or Candid Camera!

Thumbnail by sylvi74

sbragonier
Hope Valley, RI
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2353255

Thank you for the giggle. Don't worry though it was a very quiet one. I don't think he heard me. ;)

My DH responds like that also. You should have seen what was left of the chainsaw that kicked back 1 to many times. I am still finding little pieces of red plastic.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2358598

Hi Sylvi74:

I put up the same type of shed over 2 years ago. A real PAIN!!! Your photo reminds me of my ordeal. Mine is still standing -- but I think the 2 bags of concrete mix inside have saved it from blowing away. Of course, it got dented when a limb fell out of the apple tree! It already looks like it's a 100 years old. After seeing your photo after the windstorm I think I'll get the anchor kit. I don't want to build another one! Thanks for sharing.

P.S.: I'm a fairly calm person, but if mine had blown apart like that I would have jumped up and down on it too!! Your DH is not out of line!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2006
5:50 PM

Post #2358737

I had a 12x16 built at our old house from HD. The materials were delivered on a Thursday and one guy came out and had most of it built on Saturday. He came back on Sunday to finish it. The only thing they didn't do was paint it (rats).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2358740

The inside had plenty of room plus we had two lofts put in (one at each end).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 6, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2358830

That's a nice one! What was the price?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2358951

I think it was around 3,000 if I remember right.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 6, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2358963

Well, that's a little out of my price range, but you SURE got a better value for your dollar! I'm with Hubby - we're not doing this again.

Figaro - glad I wasn't the only one who thought the whole thing was way too hard to deal with! Hope your shed stays right side up!
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2006
8:51 PM

Post #2359298

Trying to assemble that Arrow shed was a very unpleasant experience. It took 3 weekends, plus it was during late September and early October, and the breezes were getting brisk. It was nearly impossible to hold those aluminum panels in place while trying to fasten them together. It was such a relief to get all 4 walls connected. One of these days I'd like to have HD come out and build me a nice one. But that's light years from now!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2006
8:54 PM

Post #2359307

hcmcdole, the sheds I have seen similar at home depot seemed to run about $16,000 from what I remember. You got a deal!
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2006
8:54 PM

Post #2359310

hcmcdole -- just looked at your photos! Absolutely fantastic! And I think it's a bargain at that price. You even have a gable vent!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2006
9:19 PM

Post #2359403

HcMcdole,

There is a "Sheds USA" shed that is called "Value-Shed" (or something like that) and is an 8'x12' shed and costs like $1700.00. It is one of the sheds they will construct on your site. You have a choice of 3 roof-styles. I DO think the roofing (shingles) come with it. It is of solid construction. There are some "conditions"--so ask an associate!
Windows and such are optional, but not overly expensive.

Next time you go to a HD check it out! Find out just what is "optional" and what is not.

If my ex-Hubbie's creation ever totally gives up the ghost (it is an A-Line, chalet type of a shed he created--just needs Snoopy on top of it), I will buy this one as I already have a poured concrete base that is 8'x12'.

At my HD, the "Sheds USA" sheds are displayed on the parking lot near the Garden area. There should also be a Kiosk somewhere in garden with free pamphlets on ALL the sheds.

Good luck, and I hope you took my advice on Arrow Sheds!
All the disaster stories validate what I told you.

Gita
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2360152

I think the standard shed was one window and a single door. So we added 4 more windows, a double door, two lofts, and the ramp (yes it is an option too - at least the double wide one is). All the wood, cinder blocks is delivered uncut (I was surprised it wasn't pre-cut for a kit). Shingles were included and so were the gable vents. I can't remember who the company was that contracts with HD to build these but they did a good job - I was surprised that one guy did it in a weekend (maybe 12 hours).

Their double decker was around 5k to 6k depending on how large it was (16x16?). My dad got one built by the Mennonites (12x20) which is delivered on site already put together and painted for $2000.

Here is a picture of his.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2360233

Heck, I could *live* in that one. Nice job - especially for $2k.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #2360860

That's what my sister said - put a TV, couch, and an air conditioner in it and it would make a nice vacation home, the only thing missing would be the lakeside view.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2006
3:32 PM

Post #2362278

hcmcdole, what a beautiful shed and setting! Makes you want to just "walk into the photo"!
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #2362601

That is really nice, I should find out if we have any Menonnites near by!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2006
4:20 PM

Post #2404264

Oh, Sylvi...Your series of photos has me in stitches! I can see that being us. It can get really windy up on our hill.

We'd like to get a wooden shed for the main reason that we can attach a greenhouse to it in the future; vinyl was appealing in its low-maintenance, but we'd be stuck when it came to customizing it, putting in extra windows, adding on, etc.

I'm going to post in the Ohio River Valley forum and see if someone can recommend Mennonite builders in our area. I'd love a 12x16' shed, but cost-wise, I think our limit's going to be 10x10'.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2006
1:11 PM

Post #2687037

I first posted in March of this year so it only took 6 months to get the shed. Here's a pic. It's 12' deep, 8' wide and 10' tall. Has a loft, a skylight and a small window on one side. Bought it from a local man who contacted me as a result of this thread. It was his demo model and he had to move it as the 'sales lot' is being converted to a haunted house and corn maze for Halloween. I got a good deal on it but since it was already built the trick was getting it delivered. We used a towing company and one of those flat bed tow trucks. They just winched it onto the flatbed, strapped it down and headed to our house. Said they got lots of weird looks from other freeway drivers. When they got here the driver just backed into where we wanted it placed and tipped it off the back. Sweet.

Edited to add: I know you all want to know pricing - it's certainly my first question. The shed I got for $1600, delivery was $275. Of course it was as far across town as one could go and still say you're in Phoenix so there was a considerable mileage factor.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by MaryMcP

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2006
1:46 PM

Post #2687121

Cool!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2006
2:50 PM

Post #2687278

Wow, how nice! That's the way to get one. :)
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2006
8:03 PM

Post #2690994

This is how we transported Mary's shed 40+ miles from the lot to her house. This gets a lot of looks going down the freeway!

Thumbnail by Dann_L

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2006
7:56 PM

Post #2694684

I bet it did! How cool to get one already painted and in such great shape! I'd love to find a bargain like that. Our poor tools and lawn stuff are stuffed in a tiny Rubbermaid shed and a plastic greenhouse shelf unit. The lawnmower braves the elements with a tarp. LOL
hey_jude
Scottsdale, AZ

November 4, 2006
11:42 AM

Post #2880235

Mary, just found this thread and wanted to add , GREAT SCORE!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2880244

Well, no shed for us this season. I hope to get one in the spring, but there won't be any great deals to score by then! :P
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2006
12:26 PM

Post #2880314

Yeah, it was a great score - and we have since painted it white! Whew! pweelee, I bought it locally so you may be able to score the same deal late next year.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2006
1:20 AM

Post #2994389

Well that is a nice one. We just decided to buy a 40 ft cargo container as a shed, it had a huge lockable double steel door at one end but we paid a little more to have a mobile home keyed door put in on the side that faces our bedroom and we are going to paint the house and it too and I am going to put lattice up on the side and grow vines and stuff over it and put a lionhead fountain in the middle and have it spit out water into a claw foot bathtub that I have been dragging around for years. If that doesn`t meet our storage needs we are in trouble and definately would need to reevaluate our junk and consider a huge yard sale. lol Oh ya it will be part of the microclimate that I am setting up so maybe I`ll have better gardening luck on the other side of my house.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 13, 2006
12:45 PM

Post #2995264

Well I bet yours won't blow over!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #2995666

Wow, where do you get a cargo container like that? I bet it was a sight when they came to put it in place.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2006
3:49 PM

Post #2995669

Woah, one of these things? Wow!

Thumbnail by gardenwife

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2995782

Yes it came on a regular truck. They probably have companies that sell them near ports in Lake Erie. Ours came solid burgundy with a white door about 8 feet from the end you see closest to you so where I want to put the fountain is near the erg in evergreen. It was with amazing precision they laid it right where we marked the corners, I could not believe it. We can even park our motorcycles in it if we wanted to and drive right out the end that is not in the picture. It definatly neads some camaflageas it looks like a large trash dumpster now. lol
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2995789

Wow. You could store a lot of pots in there. We have a small 150x40' lot, so that would be a tad out of place on our property! We need more like 12x12' though 7x10' is more likely our budget some day.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2006
4:38 PM

Post #2995792

It cost about $2,100 with the door.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2995798

Are you going to cut out windows?
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #2995804

They actually have much smaller ones too and mid size 20 ft long ones but the small ones look to be about 8 1/2 wide x10 and 10 high. I think
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2995812

No because we don`t want anyone to be able to get in it but it is all white insideand bright and we will put light inside it. They can put them in though if you want or if you weld you can put it in yourself.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2995862

Gardenwife,

That is what I want when I retire - a small lot with a backyard just big enough to squeeze in a big greenhouse (if the neighbors let me).

My brother in law put in a steel building in his subdivision with the idea if you get it in quick enough then the neighbors can't say anything. I don't know how many cars you could park in this monstrosity (6 or 8). It even has a front porch on it wide enough so he can park his SUV under the shed roof. His mother said that if he put some rocking chairs on the porch then it could pass for a Cracker Barrel.

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2006
6:32 PM

Post #2996078

lol People put them in around here and then never go in them as they planned because it is too hot or cold.
brenb
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3258404

I purchased this one from Menards. The cost was about $2,000 with another $1,000 to add electric and water. It was relativley easy to put up, we bolted it to an old silo slab and it has held well. It came with shelves and has worked great for my plants, except I can't heat it in the winter.

Thumbnail by brenb

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3258510

OH! that is very nice. Good job!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3259290

I love it, it`s maaavelous
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3259599

Oh, wow! I've not seen plastic sheds that include a greenhouse like that. How cool!
thistle5
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #4718954

What a great greenhouse/shed! I have plenty of storage right now (the garage doesn't house the vehicles, just the tools, lawnmowers, misc. stuff), but I would would love to add a small lean-to greenhouse (on the side of the unheated sunporch) &/or a 8' x 10' Lifetime vinyl shed to use as a chicken coop, adding an attached run.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #4765664

Brenb, That is the neatest looking garden shed/greenhouse. It's very stylish. I don't mean to be unkind, but I would be really distressed if someone parked a 40' long shipping container next door.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #4769137

In my town people have them all over their land and it does look like crap. Ours is integrated into the yard and it doubles as a wall and seperates part of the yard and the overflow driveway. Eventually we will build a covered car port in front and attached to the cargo container and it will be invisable to anyone else.

It has flowers growing all around and we painted it, I will finish a clawfoot bath fountain against it after the elm and muberry fuzzies stop blowing around and make a mosaic backing on it with some trellises. We think it will be great. If my neighbors get one, I won't like it though because I know what they would do with theirs.

No offense taken!

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #4769172

This is in my side yard, but a picture from my porch sideways and you can see back in the winter when all was dormant, no flowers like there is now, but on the other side is a driveway and the other side of it is this ugly trailer with these people who don't pull weeds and park a semi in the yard, so we don't care. Our neighborhood is a bunch of acreage of people who don't care. We are screening them out.!!!!!

Eventually we will probably make it a rental house and move anyway. For now it is making it liveable for us.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #4922948

We thought about the cargo thing, but decided against it. Instead we're making payments on a really nice large storage building. We don't even have a garage (we have a carport) and live in a singlewide mobile, so need storage SO bad. I'm tired of all the clutter! A neighbor put a storage building in too close to the road and the neighborhood association got after him, but our lot is bigger, so shouldn't be a problem. We haven't decided exactly where to put it yet...wherever it goes, I guess we've got to have some trees removed.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #4923284

Bummer about the trees. We were fortunate we had just the right place to have our shed built. We got it through Lowe's last May on a 12-months no interest/nopayment thing. It comes due this month and we're paying the rest of it off with our federal stimulus package check.

Depending on what you're paying in monthly payments, you might better benefit by doing a similar deal and putting the payments toward the bill. That way, you'll own it at some point and have something to show for your money.

It is 12' tall at its peak, with a loft in the back. It looks taller because we had to compensate for the slope of our lot.

Thumbnail by gardenwife

figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4923522

Gardenwife, it's beautiful. I love the color, too! Looks like it really brightens up a shady spot.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4923565

Thank you! It does brighten up the corner. The warm late afternoon and evening sun looks so pretty on it, too. We still need to landscape around it. We want to put hardware cloth around the base (to keep the critters out) and then white vinyl lattice. For the 10-year warranty to remain in effect, we must keep the airflow open between the crushed gravel and the floor. I plan to build soil up in a slope around the shed and plant some low-growing plants. I'd like to have vining plants on trellises along the right side you see there. Eventually, we'd like to put in a solar security light and inside light; it's pretty dark out there at night now.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #4930381

Kimberly it is so cute and I agree on the color.

Linda we live in a triple wide on land in an area with a lot of mobiles and modulars mixed in w/ stick built homes. My street happens to have all the yucky old ones that people don't care about their homes as we do. So the cargo container blocks the view of the neighbor's homes. It is nice to have storage, if you have a single wide you need all the storage you can possibly get. I am happy that we all have storage that works for us. Yeah storage.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

catnip76
Glenburn, ND

July 2, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6768389

Hey everyone - Great thread!!

I need some advice. Do any of you have the Arrow Vinyl Murryhill sheds? I am not sure about the rules of the forums for posting web sites... We are debating between the 12x17 or the 12x24 - and we will get the anchoring kit, and putting it on a plywood type floor (concrete is just too high right now). It says they are the vinyl coated steel so they are better quality than the cheaper metal sheds. I know it is going to be a pain the you know what to assemble put we will get over that. We need the room. Are they worth the money? Would you buy it again? Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Tanya in ND
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6769880

Tanya, I don't have a shed yet, but I checked with my county about permits required for constructing a kit and they told us anything larger than 150 sq ft would result in a change to our real estate tax base. That made me rethink what size I could live with.
catnip76
Glenburn, ND

July 3, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #6771571

Pamgarden,

Thank you for the info - we are in the middle of the country and in the middle of no where so the taxes aren't a huge deal. I just want to know if the dang thing will last a yr! LOL!!

Tanya
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2009

Post #6777605

I'm glad our area isn't like that. Ours doesn't affect our taxes until it's on a concrete slab; we put our shed on a crushed limestone pad, so it didn't cause our taxes to go up.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6777748

Isn't it amazing that there are so many different ways assessments are handled. We too are out in the country, but the whole county was reassessed in 2008, just before real estate values started plummeting. Requests for relief from the higher assessments have met with negative responses in belief that the real estate market will rise over time, blah, blah, blah. If I could afford the larger size and it didn't affect my taxes, I'd personally opt for the larger. Whatever your decision, I hope you enjoy your garden shed.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6808021

Here any 10x10 shed, no matter how tall, does not need a permit. If it is larger, than you do need a permit or conditional use permit or something. It does not get taxed though. I think they are just looking to make sure your neighbors don't complain and that you are not building a house and calling it a shed.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7404926

BTW - We have a couple of houses in town made out of shipping containers. They went with a modern look. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/look/look-kansas-citys-new-cargo-container-house-078421

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #7405814

I saw one on HGTV AND IT WAS AWESOME. Who would have thought that it would be to code, but honestly it is so structurally sound, it is a great idea. I see some cool things people have done with them, but no houses have I seen in person. Thanks for sharing. Maybe they will hold up well in a tornado.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7406359

There are links on the bottom of the page to their own web site and a TV story on it. I understood that the advantages are that it cuts down on construction time and building costs. The downside was that the city inspectors had never seen a house made out of one so they spent more time with the inspections.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #7408270

There are so many of these buildings around the world, that it will be the standard one day for vacation homes I bet. I wish my church could get them and send them over to Mexico instead of these little houses we fabricate to take over there.

I looked it up after I saw this, because I and my husband are always looking at ways we could add space for storage or guest rooms, etc. for our property and our county is not the type to enforce codes at all. It is crazy. We have one that doubles as a wall for our yard, to divide the parking side from the yard, garden side, plus we put our motorcycle in it and lawnmower etc. and we have a door that goes into it, we would like to build a garage one, with a guest quarters above it.

I kind of put the idea on a shelf, but designing it would be so fun. I would love to be an architect and design homes from them. I saw one that had a gable roof and it was not modern, that is the way I would like it.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #7408617

I think you can find these in Mexico as they are used to ship items all over the world. I was told that it was cheaper to trash them then ship them back unloaded.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7410316

Wonder how much they can be bought in Mexico? If they are cheap, our church could buy some for the people over there. When I was there one time, visiting my X's mom, in Tecate, we went by on a dirt road, while it was raining and there was a man and a woman and a newborn sitting under plywood, that was sitting on blocks with no door or curtain. My heart broke and I never forgot it. Not that I don't think we could stand to do this for our people here too, but codes and stuff make it harder, where over there, you could give them a 10x8 or a 20x8 one for a larger family and they could do nicely for themselves in it. They are ingenius at improvision.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009

Post #7410433

Why don't you contact the people in KC who built the house and see what or who they know. I believe there was a web listed for them in the article.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7410502

I saw that but it would be too far to be affordable. It would be something that would be much easier to do from here and work with my church to get info on it and talk to the government officials that we already deal with since we take over these little wood homes, that look like a giant loft dog house for the border towns in Mexico. The cargo containers require trucks to bring them in and I bet we would not be able to get American trucks to risk going there to do it.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7410745

I was more saying talk with them about who they know as it might lead you to a ready or reputiable comapny to deal with. For sure you need to talk with the reps that you currently work with. The cargo containers generally get shipped on trains, ocean cargo ships, and trucks. So I think you might have a choice of transportation to get it there.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
7:05 AM

Post #7412481

Good idea. Is the house in your clip, done now?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America