Storage Sheds

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hello All,

We are looking for a 10 x 14 storage shed. Anyone have experience with putting together Arrow sheds? Any other sheds? As in: were all the parts there? were the instructions easy to follow? did the steps in the instructions actually work? You know, that kinda stuff.

We are thinking that vinyl coated steel is a good choice. Opinions on that? We are in Arizona so rust is not a major concern but it does rain here - occassionally. Also, we are not prone to tornados or hurricanes, do we really need that anchor kit?

TIA for your words of wisdom.
Mary

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Do you remember the night before Christmas where you were trying to put the kids new toys together ? Well even if you do not you will have nightmares after you spread all the parts out to an arrow shed. Make sure you lay all the parts out like the picture shows and count to make sure you have enough of each item. .Also read the directions and compare parts a few times before you build it. I've put 3 of them together over the years and after I gave the last away I built a wood 12X16 shed. Much nicer ! One good thing is you do live in a good climate for one as far as keeping it from rusting. They do not last long down here. Wet and wind do em in. But they are cheap and do the job. After you put it together I'd spend a little more and buy some mobile home roof coating and spread it over the top. It will keep the leaks down and help a little with cooling. If not I'd caulk around all the top screws as they tend to leak. I'd get the anchor kit by the way. It's cheap insurance against the occasional windy day . The sheds are light weight for their size and will move it the wind gets strong enough. Don't let me scare you away. They can be built using simple hand tools just like the ad says. Just be aware there are a lot of parts to put together.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

kwetz, This is good info, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. My hubby is talented at putting stuff together but your comments really helped us get it in perspective. And the tip about roof coating is awesome. We have a small metal shed that came with the house and it leaks like mad every time it rains.

Thanks again.
Mary

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Kwetz, thanks for the tip about the leaks. My Arrow shed is over 2 years old and one corner always leaks -- so that's where I've always kept the wheelbarrel! It thought this was painful to assemble, but it's sure been a lifesaver!

Saline, MI(Zone 5b)

A while back I was thinking about a shed (12x10) and was looking at wood kits from places like Lowe's.

I wanted a concrete slab base and contacted several local contractors and found that none wanted to do the job unless it included assembling the shed (to make their minimum job cost)

So I had one bid on just building a shed (concrete slab included) and the bid was 40-50% more than the kits. But I got (I had it done) a little house. Normal construction 2x4 stud walls, shingle roof with vents and gutters and a real exterior door and double hung windows.

Lester

This message was edited May 19, 2006 6:27 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I work at a HD. In general, Aluminum sheds (by Arrow) are a pain in the butt to put together. Too many screws and nuts and bolts!

For the same price (almost) you can ger a vinyl shed
which is much easier to assemble. Besides, you never have to paint vinyl. It does not dent (like an aluminum shed) and does not rust.

The sheds HD (and Lowes, I am sure) will come and assemble on your property are made by Sheds USA. They are wood, have roofing shingles, have a flooring, and options such as windows and skylights. They DO cost a bit more, but are worth the extra $$.

Just my 2 cents worth. Gita

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hey Gita, Thanks a lot for putting in your 2 pennies. I really love being able to ask others what worked and what didn't on their projects. We put the purchase on hold for a bit because of a bunch of other projects we had going. Now it's too dang hot here for building a shed so I hope we can get back to it in the fall/early winter so you folks keep this comments flowing!

Cheers!
Mary

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

Just found your thread here about the shed. Hubby bought a do it yourself kit last spring. Here he is putting it together in May:

Thumbnail by sylvi74
East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

And here he is in October, STILL putting it together, with our dogs "helping":

Thumbnail by sylvi74
East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

And here is the new shed this March, after a windstorm:

Thumbnail by sylvi74
East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

This last shot is after Hubby got over his temper tantrum (during which he jumped up and down on the shed and said a lot of words!) and before he had the dang thing hauled off for scrap. Dmitri the Newfoundland likes to pose when I get out the camera, so I let him be in the picture.

PS - I recommend the anchor kit! Hubby swears that next time he will just hire someone to build one for us, no more sheds for him!

Thumbnail by sylvi74
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ho Boy! That is funny. Definately go for the anchor kit. Thanks for the humor.....I don't suppose you have a video clip of the temper tantrum that descimated the shed huh?

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

A video clip? He would have jumped up and down on ME when he was done with the shed!
I did get a still, but it is really dark, cause I figured if he saw the flash go off, it really would mean divorce!
Poor Hubby, I shouldn't laugh because he is really such a great guy, but this was just like something out of Monty Python or Candid Camera!

Thumbnail by sylvi74
Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the giggle. Don't worry though it was a very quiet one. I don't think he heard me. ;)

My DH responds like that also. You should have seen what was left of the chainsaw that kicked back 1 to many times. I am still finding little pieces of red plastic.

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Sylvi74:

I put up the same type of shed over 2 years ago. A real PAIN!!! Your photo reminds me of my ordeal. Mine is still standing -- but I think the 2 bags of concrete mix inside have saved it from blowing away. Of course, it got dented when a limb fell out of the apple tree! It already looks like it's a 100 years old. After seeing your photo after the windstorm I think I'll get the anchor kit. I don't want to build another one! Thanks for sharing.

P.S.: I'm a fairly calm person, but if mine had blown apart like that I would have jumped up and down on it too!! Your DH is not out of line!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I had a 12x16 built at our old house from HD. The materials were delivered on a Thursday and one guy came out and had most of it built on Saturday. He came back on Sunday to finish it. The only thing they didn't do was paint it (rats).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

The inside had plenty of room plus we had two lofts put in (one at each end).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

That's a nice one! What was the price?

I think it was around 3,000 if I remember right.

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, that's a little out of my price range, but you SURE got a better value for your dollar! I'm with Hubby - we're not doing this again.

Figaro - glad I wasn't the only one who thought the whole thing was way too hard to deal with! Hope your shed stays right side up!

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Trying to assemble that Arrow shed was a very unpleasant experience. It took 3 weekends, plus it was during late September and early October, and the breezes were getting brisk. It was nearly impossible to hold those aluminum panels in place while trying to fasten them together. It was such a relief to get all 4 walls connected. One of these days I'd like to have HD come out and build me a nice one. But that's light years from now!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

hcmcdole, the sheds I have seen similar at home depot seemed to run about $16,000 from what I remember. You got a deal!

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

hcmcdole -- just looked at your photos! Absolutely fantastic! And I think it's a bargain at that price. You even have a gable vent!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

HcMcdole,

There is a "Sheds USA" shed that is called "Value-Shed" (or something like that) and is an 8'x12' shed and costs like $1700.00. It is one of the sheds they will construct on your site. You have a choice of 3 roof-styles. I DO think the roofing (shingles) come with it. It is of solid construction. There are some "conditions"--so ask an associate!
Windows and such are optional, but not overly expensive.

Next time you go to a HD check it out! Find out just what is "optional" and what is not.

If my ex-Hubbie's creation ever totally gives up the ghost (it is an A-Line, chalet type of a shed he created--just needs Snoopy on top of it), I will buy this one as I already have a poured concrete base that is 8'x12'.

At my HD, the "Sheds USA" sheds are displayed on the parking lot near the Garden area. There should also be a Kiosk somewhere in garden with free pamphlets on ALL the sheds.

Good luck, and I hope you took my advice on Arrow Sheds!
All the disaster stories validate what I told you.

Gita

I think the standard shed was one window and a single door. So we added 4 more windows, a double door, two lofts, and the ramp (yes it is an option too - at least the double wide one is). All the wood, cinder blocks is delivered uncut (I was surprised it wasn't pre-cut for a kit). Shingles were included and so were the gable vents. I can't remember who the company was that contracts with HD to build these but they did a good job - I was surprised that one guy did it in a weekend (maybe 12 hours).

Their double decker was around 5k to 6k depending on how large it was (16x16?). My dad got one built by the Mennonites (12x20) which is delivered on site already put together and painted for $2000.

Here is a picture of his.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Heck, I could *live* in that one. Nice job - especially for $2k.

That's what my sister said - put a TV, couch, and an air conditioner in it and it would make a nice vacation home, the only thing missing would be the lakeside view.

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

hcmcdole, what a beautiful shed and setting! Makes you want to just "walk into the photo"!

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

That is really nice, I should find out if we have any Menonnites near by!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Sylvi...Your series of photos has me in stitches! I can see that being us. It can get really windy up on our hill.

We'd like to get a wooden shed for the main reason that we can attach a greenhouse to it in the future; vinyl was appealing in its low-maintenance, but we'd be stuck when it came to customizing it, putting in extra windows, adding on, etc.

I'm going to post in the Ohio River Valley forum and see if someone can recommend Mennonite builders in our area. I'd love a 12x16' shed, but cost-wise, I think our limit's going to be 10x10'.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I first posted in March of this year so it only took 6 months to get the shed. Here's a pic. It's 12' deep, 8' wide and 10' tall. Has a loft, a skylight and a small window on one side. Bought it from a local man who contacted me as a result of this thread. It was his demo model and he had to move it as the 'sales lot' is being converted to a haunted house and corn maze for Halloween. I got a good deal on it but since it was already built the trick was getting it delivered. We used a towing company and one of those flat bed tow trucks. They just winched it onto the flatbed, strapped it down and headed to our house. Said they got lots of weird looks from other freeway drivers. When they got here the driver just backed into where we wanted it placed and tipped it off the back. Sweet.

Edited to add: I know you all want to know pricing - it's certainly my first question. The shed I got for $1600, delivery was $275. Of course it was as far across town as one could go and still say you're in Phoenix so there was a considerable mileage factor.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, how nice! That's the way to get one. :)

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is how we transported Mary's shed 40+ miles from the lot to her house. This gets a lot of looks going down the freeway!

Thumbnail by Dann_L
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I bet it did! How cool to get one already painted and in such great shape! I'd love to find a bargain like that. Our poor tools and lawn stuff are stuffed in a tiny Rubbermaid shed and a plastic greenhouse shelf unit. The lawnmower braves the elements with a tarp. LOL

Scottsdale, AZ

Mary, just found this thread and wanted to add , GREAT SCORE!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, no shed for us this season. I hope to get one in the spring, but there won't be any great deals to score by then! :P

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, it was a great score - and we have since painted it white! Whew! pweelee, I bought it locally so you may be able to score the same deal late next year.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Well that is a nice one. We just decided to buy a 40 ft cargo container as a shed, it had a huge lockable double steel door at one end but we paid a little more to have a mobile home keyed door put in on the side that faces our bedroom and we are going to paint the house and it too and I am going to put lattice up on the side and grow vines and stuff over it and put a lionhead fountain in the middle and have it spit out water into a claw foot bathtub that I have been dragging around for years. If that doesn`t meet our storage needs we are in trouble and definately would need to reevaluate our junk and consider a huge yard sale. lol Oh ya it will be part of the microclimate that I am setting up so maybe I`ll have better gardening luck on the other side of my house.

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

Well I bet yours won't blow over!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images