Foal watch 06

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

And so it begins again! Lacy was waxed up this morning and is now dripping cloudy but still yellow milk....it's going to be a long next few days.....

Boy the barn floor is sure uncomfortable. She's waxed up good now and no dripping....

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Jenks, I have NO idea what waxing, etc. is, but I do know that it means a new baby!!!! How're things going? Will you stay in the barn with her until the baby comes? Do you have a laptop 'puter you can take with you so we can get up-to-date news? LOL Don't forget the pictures!

This is VERY exciting to an old city broad.
Pati

Hey Pati! Thanks for the St. Patti's Day card! You never forget! Want to see waxing? Caution: the follow pics are equine X rated ;) LOL Though this is nothing compared to the way Serenity was. She looked like she'd had a kinky date the night before. A half inch of it would hang down....

I think tonight I'll hide in there. I am not sure if she'd have it with me sitting there. I don't think she really cared about me being in there last night though. I came in and out plenty of opportunity to foal out real quick while I was gone. Until about 3am at least anyway. Now I'm a little looney, but not too bad. I should nap now, but I can't

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 2:56 PM

Thumbnail by Jenks

Jenks, now I get the picture!!! So this is how you know the baby is coming soon. NEAT!

I remember the first picture of Serenity and her story. Her picture captured my heart, and her story broke it. That was the first time I ever knew about these poor horses. I celebrated your first ride on her.....and rejoiced that she had found peace and confidence in you.

I guess somewhere a recessive gene is stirring....I spend so much time lurking on the Farm Life Forum and Poultry and Livestock Forum you would think I was a real farmer. LOL

Give Lacy a pat for me.......and a ((hug)) for you for being such a good mommy.
Pati

Serenity has given me quite a bit of confidence so it's been a mutually beneficial relationship!

I'm a wanna be farmer. If only I made enough money! LOL! One day when I retire....before that though I'm going to at least get chickens! I'm dying to have some chickens! The chicks are in at the feed store and my coop isn't ready-I need more time! I wish there were 28 hours in a day! Maybe now that I am taking vacation for Lacy's foaling I can work on it....

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Jenks,

Hows she doing tonight? Are the other horses acting funny? I keep going back to how fancy acted the night before tina foaled.

I am so excited for you!!

She's her normal ornery self! LOL. Still the same. waxing and clear milk. I hope she goes tonight! Serenity is acting normal. No odd behavior from her, but Lacy was unusually bossy today. I hadn't seen her kick at Serenity in ages, and she did it today (she never makes contact) but threatened it if Serenity even got within 10 feet of her....that's unusual. They'd gotten pretty tight, or at least established an understanding (I pin my ears you get away) but today it was straight to the rear-end points at Sere if she came close. I don't think I'll be turning Lacy out at all tomorrow if she doesn't foal. I put Lacy in the paddock as soon as I saw that. She was unusually witchy!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm clueless about the waxing and bagging. I'm tellin ya, Tina did none of that.

We had been out that day watching her and we saw nothing different in her. We were shocked, to say the least, when Katy hit the ground that morning.

Fancy was our only clue, but we didnt have any idea what she was trying to tell us.

Did she eat well tonight? Nibble and stop?

Gosh this is exciting!!!

I got the foal blanket today! Its pretty small on her but i think we'll be able to get a week maybe? The velcro was stretched to its limits under her belly!!

I've heard some don't show signs! There are a lot of them. Waxing is easiest. I went and pulled Lacy's ultrasound from when she was preg checked. It was dated 4/21/05 and said 17 days from last BD. So she WAS due on Mar 14th. She's still within the average time span though. I think I have up until 370days at the longest! Yikes. I'd die if she made me wait that long! 342 is right in between the short and longest gestation times. So Katy was in there!

LOL! Ya I figured it might last you a week! About 3 weeks was it's limit here! But it stopped Khaos from shivering immediately!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

We taped her tonight and shes about 165!! I must be doing something right : )

Tinas orginal foal date was 3/17. I had forgotten that both of them (lacy and tina) were due within days of each other. It hit me hard on the 17th..just brought back memories. Let me stop, dont want to take over your thread.

I'm sure you won't be getting much sleep tonight. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll get at least some : )

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Watching, waiting.......

UGH! i'm going to go nuts! She's dripping white milk now....shouldn't be longer than hours, but can be up to 24 or more! The wench will probably make me suffer! ;)

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

lol, ya know what they say "between 11pm-4am" get some sleep girl!!

thinkin this one might be a colt too?

I just went out to clean stalls and she was standing next to her stall. (While Ser & K eat her alfalfa-UNHEARD OF!) ....I'm wondering if she doesn't want Ser and Khaos there....So I cleaned it real quick and left it open. Ser and K can still see her on one side of the paddock, and the other I can see from my window. I'm going to give her a few minutes to see..... the milk stopped running down her legs. It's plugged back up.

Whatever it is, it's much quieter than Khaos was. It doesn't kick hard like he did. K was early and this one's late.....we'll see!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 9:02 AM

Monrovia, MD

Good Luck!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

(clearing my throat) that was 2 hours ago, lady!!!!! whats the update??

She had it at 9:55! Whooo! Very cool, but scared me to death. One foot and then the head first! Jeez! I ran out there and got her up while dialing the vet! Getting her up kind of pulled it back in a little. I ran to the barn to get my gloves and lube and by the time I got back she'd laid back down and got the other leg out! PHEW! What relief! I got blood all over me. I gotta wash up, but I got the betadine on the navel and didn't get a good look at the sex! UGH! No spots-high rear stockings, one front sock and a cool looking star with a strip right smack center all the way to the nose. Much longer legs than Khaos, and must daintier looking (feminine?) we'll see! be back shortly! Hoping the foal will nurse soon so I can go get another look-see between the legs or under the tail! I think it's chestnut-not sure it's legs are silvery looking.

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!! Doing the dance of joy!!!
Pati

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Woohoo!!!!!

I can just imagine what shes going through

Taylors, SC

Jenks you should see the smile on my face for you!! Yeah!! Thank you, thank you for sharing!!!!!!

It's a boy! A totally different horse than Khaos though the same cross very interesting. This one is taller and more Thoroughbredish/paint looking, kind of like Katy shaped! Except he has the arab jibbah! He's definitely chestnut.

I just had to have the vet come out and pull the placenta. I'm with you Jen, never again! I was having a heart-attack. It was in there for 3 hours. He got it out though whole. She got a dose of antibiotics and the baby got tetnus and an enima. Vet will be back for an IGG on the colt though he started eating right before the vet arrived (another thing I was having a nervous break-down over!) Phew. Let me go take some pics, been going too crazy to do that yet! I'm celebrating with a beer in the middle of the day! Then it's nap time!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 3:12 PM

Oh Jenks, I thought he had something bad until I GOOGLED "Arab jibbah". Oh the things I am learning on DG!

Pictures, beer and a nap.......sound like a plan!!!
(hugs)
Pati

We could do the story of the ugly duckling.....LOL but at first I was a bit worried! He dried up nicely! OK, first one, 20 minutes old (before I started freaking out about Lacy's placenta not passing):

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 3:21 PM

Thumbnail by Jenks

Resting after a romp:

Thumbnail by Jenks

A little dry (just got an enima) so he walked around with his tail up for at least an hour after pooing here and there!

Thumbnail by Jenks

All pooed out (has gone about 4x's now)

Thumbnail by Jenks

Khaos talking to them through the gate:

Thumbnail by Jenks

Serenity giving nursing pointers (I swear. The colt did not nurse until Ser came and started talking). Lacy kept stepping away from him before that. I was on the verge of tears. 3 hours after birth he finally was able to nurse. Thank you Ser.

Thumbnail by Jenks
Brownfield, ME(Zone 4b)

Congratulations ! Glad to hear all is well and you have a handsome colt.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh Jenks, I am so excited for you!!! Man alive, 2 boys tho??

Glad that they got the placenta out. Did the vet feel confident that they got it all?

OK, IGG test came back good! Everything is now perfect! Sorry about the eyes....The vet had just left after a wrestling match for a little blood draw!

Thumbnail by Jenks

Thanks lanie and everyone.

Jen, yes he got it out whole. It was something else. It took both hands, arms, etc....Wasn't very comfortable for her!

It took her a long while to bond with him. But when the vet tried to mess with the foal....lord. I was lifted by her halter for a second! I recovered from the shock of that quick enough!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Hooray!! He has very cool markings...now khaos has a best friend!!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Congratulations, you are a grandma again. He's a beauty! You had a hard day!

Thanks you all.

Something is not right though. I'm waiting for the vet to open. Maybe I am spoiled because Khaos was running and jumping and rearing before he was 24 hours old, but this one is less active and he is limping on his rear left just slightly. Please pray that he's OK?

Well you guys are quick! Or maybe God is listening to just my prayer. I just went outside and he was running and jumping and rearing! You can still tell when he walks that he's weak on the left rear, but perhaps it's just that his pastern is not quite upright yet - he's back on it. Calling the vet anyway to check it out. But he *is* active! Yay!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Whew, quick scare!! That was a tough 8 minutes of worry!
Seriously, hope it's okay. I would imagine it would take a bit to get all those body parts working together. And easy enough to get a boo boo!!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Gosh, my heart just fell, but then went right back up!

Hows lacy doing?

Yes, I think it will be fine, though you can tell it bothers him. I just hope Lacy didn't accidentally lay on him or something! I don't think he'd be running if that were the case though! I'm glad he's running around!

Lacy's doing well. Though she squealed at him earlier. I don't know what on earth that was about, but she's chasing him around and keeping a close eye on him. He's nursing up a storm too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images