Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hibiscus: New Hardy Hibiscus

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 12, Views: 354
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NCplantsman
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2130011

Greetings and Salutations!

Spring is arriving here in NC. In just a few months it will be the time for my hardy Hibs to start blooming. This year will be exciting because I have some new varieties that will bloom for the first time. I grow hardy Hibs and for the past few years I've tried my hand at doing some crosses. Here is a photo of one the new crosses I came up with. It bloomed for the first time last summer. I have a limited supply of blooming size plants for those who would like to give them a try. The parentage comes from H. californicus which is a rare native plant in CA. If you want some more info about the plant or how to obtain one, please let me know.

Ray

Thumbnail by NCplantsman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2136667

Ray,
very beautiful cultivar.Nice clear pink. Great job!
Kyle
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2006
11:36 PM

Post #2136937

How much variation do you see with seedlings? I have tons of seeds that I am planning to start from a variety of plants that were naturally pollenated. I have several varieties and have never really taken any special care with the flowers. That's a pretty pink!
Gardening_in_GA
Chickamauga, GA
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2006
11:40 PM

Post #2136944

I love it!!!! Hibiscus are some of my favorites. I just got into gardening last summer and my favorites were my blush hibiscus and a deep red hardy. I lost the red hardy (think I watered too much) but I cant wait for my blush to bloom again.

I have a few that I have started from seed this year they are still tiny just poking out the dirt I hope they do well.

Are you selling those few you have or what?? I would love to try it out I think it is beautiful!
Think it would be hardy here in North Georgia?
cottosnag
bronson, IA
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2136989

If you have one left I would like to try one--I have about 15 hardy hibiscus in my yard--they are one of my favorites--would you like something in trade--or are you selling them? I just bought a hibiscus militaris that is white--arent those suppose to be native ones? Is this similiar to yours? Thanks Cheryl
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2140172

Ray if you have any left I would love to give it a go in Ks. I could do a sase don't think I have to much to trade.

Linda
NCplantsman
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2142910

Gardening_in_GA, Cheryl, and Linda y'all have mail!
NCplantsman
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2142925

Hi Badseed,
To answer your question: How much variation do you see with seedlings?

There can be considerable variation in Hibiscus flower colours, size and form. That's the reason why it’s fun to do crosses to see what you can come up with. In my case I've seen some seedlings from say a cross between a deep red with a hot pink flower from rosy pink to almost crimson red. The Dunmoyer variety I posted here can vary in the shade of pink, but still have the red eye in the center and overall growth size of about 4 ft. To have a true to form plant you need cuttings. I find growing the plants from seeds like Christmas in July... you never know what you will get until it opens!
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2143005

Ray, congratulations on such a beauty!! I can understand how the excitement builds while waiting for one of your own creations to bloom. Please let me know how I might obtain one, and what might you be looking for in trade?

Jean
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2181539

That's a pretty pink. Can't wait till mine get bigger and start blooming.

Lavina another Raleigh person who loves flowers.

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3820531

Ray the two plants I got from you last year is going crazy this year. For the last month they have been having any where from 15 to 22 blooms a day. With all the rain we had in the spring they loved it. The flowers are at lease 10 to 12 inches wide. I really love them they were the first to bloom.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3827134

I have one that looks real close to yours. This picture doesn't have the flower completely open but it's pretty close to yours.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Click the image for an enlarged view.

amarantha00
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3829567

Ray, that pink color is lovely :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
I bought sight unseen Kell 28 Sep 17, 2007 11:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America