Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: What a hoot ! Rooster laid an egg.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 25, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2006
8:54 AM

Post #2137790

In middle of Feb. I went to a poultry auction and bought a 1/2 R.I.R and 1/2 Americauna rooster.
He was pretty young, but not a chick. He's been a nice addition to my flock and seems to get along fairly well with some other younger chicks I put together in the same pen. He's a nice red and looks just like the R.I.R's all look, except he has a fuzz-face like the Americaunas. So we just call him Fuzz-Face the rooster.

Today I just happened to check in the nesting box in that pen...which nobody is old enough to use yet,
or so I thought. I found the prettiest green-blue egg !!!!!!! You can imagine my surprise when I discovered that Fuzz-Face The Rooster...is now Miss Fuzzie The Hen. I am delighted, I never dreamed I had a hen. That just made my day. (Bet the fellow who sold him didn't know either, as he said all the ones he brought to sell at auction were roosters he just wanted to get rid of.) hehe, lucky me.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2006
11:22 AM

Post #2137853

That happened to me with a cat.. She/He was on the wild side. Never knew until she showed up with a kitten.

But, What a surprise! Did she crow when she laid the egg?
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2006
12:19 PM

Post #2137927

You lucked out, PeggieK! I thought one of my Australorp/Wyandotte mixes was a hen because 'she' looked so different from her brother, who was all rooster. I called her "hickedy pickedy" -- she was all black. Well, they were both roosters: one had the build and comb of an Australorp, one that of a Wyandotte.

Both were notorious hen-beaters, and have since retired to the stew pot.
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2138271

Peggie,
Your story sounds VERY similar to mine! Congrats on some eggs.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2138336

how hilarious! i remember when i wa a youngun, my Uncle Bob & Aunt Ruth had a parakeet with a very masculine name, who later laid a bunch of eggs!!!

can't wait for you to get a digital camera [maybe for your birthday?]. i would love to see FuzzFace!

btw, i should have plenty of Buckeye Roosters in about two months or so. If anyone wants to add a little of that bloodline to their brood...

Maybe we could have a poultry round-up, get together and trade stock???!!! Hurry before NAIS gets passed, LOL

congrats on your first egg Peg, did it taste good???

tf
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2138343

Yippee, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once-in-a-while ! :-D

One thing that concerns me, is that she's in with a bunch of young chicks that are still on chick-starter feed. So she's not getting the egg layer feed that she should have. If I put it in there, the youngsters will eat it all up...there are 9 of them, one of her. I don't feel that it is really a problem healthwise per sey...as the starter is nutricious enough. But I think it has some antibiotic in it for the chicks, and I don't know if it would be so good to eat her eggs if she's eating it. The youngsters are about 2 weeks away from switching over to layer feed.

Anyone got any opinions on this ?
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2138356

Can you put out some oyster shells for her?
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2138368

Yes, I've put out some for her. I guess it won't hurt the chicks to eat it, will it ?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2138371

i do! if you have something similar to a rabbit feeder, that you could hang so they don't spill it, she can free feed on the oyster shell. i read you can even crush up your own sea shells. that way you don't have to go to town and buy a whole bag till the others are ready for it...

give Miss Fuzzie a high five for us!

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2138379

i guess my pont was [we cross posted agian], if it is hanging separately, they only eat it on an as need basis. the only way i can see it hurting the others, would be if it caused them to cut back on their other grower feed. if they have good sense, and most birds do, they won't start eating it till they need it...

tf
bambamdryad
Potsdam, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2139018

Anyone have bantams? or can tell me about them? I live in a very cold climate, and should I be able to build a place for them, will it be too cold here. Zone 4 anyway, very northern NY. miss chickens. but, rent, so a bunch would definitely be no-go! LOL! a couple of bantams I might be able to get away with! BAM
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2006
1:41 AM

Post #2139364

Oh, my gosh, bam, I was going to start a Bantam thread. I have Bantams and adore them. I have Bard Rocks and RIR too, but we all prefer the banties - three are black and white, short fat, no legs, they are right on the ground, and one, Little Hen, is a 'wild' bantie, can fly, is streamlined, but small, light gray, with darker shading and more leg than the black and white banties, I've totally forgotten what kind they are. I too would like to know which other banties would be fun and friendly. I have six hens ordered but I can have what ever 'brand' I like, I do know I will get two more 'wild' ones. Little Hen is very smart and can take care of her self and is the queen of the chicken yard...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2006
2:52 AM

Post #2139576

oh, i would LOVE a bantam thread!!!

when i can build a separate pen, i will want some!!! of course i want the fancy ones that don't do well in cold weather...

please, SherryLike, start a Bantam thread!!!!

tf
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2006
3:47 AM

Post #2139642

We like banties better because they do less damage to the yarden. They still scratch in the dirt but being smaller limits the amount of the damage they do.

We have had the Americanas, Millie Fleurs, White Silkies, Golden Seabrights, Japanese Black Tailed, Cornish, and some others I don't remember the names of anymore. I got several new hens last year from a breeder just to get some new blood in the flock. All of ours were so interbred that everyone was related to everyone else in some way. That is a big problem when you have a lot of roosters and they are all related to most or all of the hens. All of our roosters need to go for that reason. You do get some interesting looking chickens tho when they interbreed that way. I think my next roosters will be a Mille Fleur and a White Japanese Silkie.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2006
4:05 AM

Post #2139664

i would like a sussex!
bambamdryad
Potsdam, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2006
1:51 PM

Post #2140090

TY all, but you are all in warmer climates.It is brutal here in the winter. That is my main concern. How would they take the winter? It would just be so great to have a couple of chickens around. We had a pair of bantams in Nova Scotia, but something got the hen, so we put the rooster in with the regular hens. He thought he had died and gone to Heaven! Thought that was his harem of large concubines! So funny to watch him strut his stuff!
Oh, and a funny story. We got out hens in winter, so the first spring, my husband came in and said something was wrong with the chickens. They were having fits. I ran up to the henyard, and laughed until I cried. He was from the city, and did not recognize the spring dirt baths when he saw them! One of my funniest memories! BAM
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #2140412

TameraFaye, what's the name of that Canadian livestock conservancy group, the one like ALBC? They should have a list of what breeds traditionally do well. The Chantecler, maybe. I'll look into it. You definitely want one with a comb close to the head.

Bam, dirt baths kill me. I could watch the little nuts forever.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2006
4:50 PM

Post #2140431

http://www.rarebreedscanada.ca/priority-poultry.htm

But it has no descriptions and isn't as useful as the ALBC site.

Anyway, these bantams are cold-tolerant. Apart from this info, I'd ask around if I were you. There must be folks around w/ banties. See what works for them.

Brahmas are very cold tolerant. Apparently, so are Olansk (swedish) bantams.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Olansk/BRKOlansk.html
bambamdryad
Potsdam, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2140750

TY Zeppy! I love looking at the pictures of the chickens anyway. Will be fun to check into them. Thanks again. BAM
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2006
4:41 AM

Post #2141726

oh, Zeppy, i iwll look up the ALBC link, as it has Canada too! as a matter of fact, it covers the whole continent i think!!!

if i recall, the ones in bold are N American, and they have Chantecler listed. i dint' know it was a bantam lthough, learn something new every day!

well, i was thinking Buckeyes were pea combed... will check that too while i am there!

i am sure loving my 70 chicks! The buckeyes are already taking short flight when they run around each other LOL...

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #2141732

here it is about the Chantecler:

The breed is noted for having nearly no wattles and a small cushion comb the comb appearing much like a small round button sitting low on the head. The small comb and wattles allow this breed to withstand the cold Canadian winters without worry of frostbite. Not surprisingly, the breed is noted for being very hardy, is an excellent layer of brown eggs with a reputation as a good winter layer, and has a broad well-fleshed breast.

The Chantecler can still be found in both of its original colors, White and Partridge; both having yellow flesh and legs. It is an excellent choice for anyone wanting a productive fowl that will excel in a wintry climate. The breed is noted for being calm, gentle, and personable.

http://albc-usa.org/chantecler.htm

of course, there is more info at the link...

and here is the "chicken watch list":

http://albc-usa.org/wtchlist.htm#chickens

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2006
4:55 AM

Post #2141736

check this one out, sure looks like a bantam...

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/chickens/houdan/index.htm

the java was my first choice, before i decided to go with the Buckeye. i would want the black...

http://albc-usa.org/java.htm

i owuld have gone with the Holland, but didn't want white chickens for free ranging.
http://albc-usa.org/holland.htm

tf

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 11:58 PM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 12:00 AM
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2006
5:12 AM

Post #2141745

Yeppers, the Buckeye are pea combed. Sorry, they aren't small though LOL

tf
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2006
10:15 AM

Post #2141836

Let's see some pics of those babies when you get a moment, TF.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #2142245

i almost got a moment last night! i promise i keep taking pictures. they are 7 days old today, and i am redoing the box brooders, when i get back from the hsardware store with my extra lights. then i will take more pictures, run to Amarillo to get more chick feed. So, look for me to start a thread, oh, around midnight tonight LOL

tf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2006
9:18 PM

Post #2153568

Lucky you PeggyK.
Thanks for the info Tamara. My small town daughter, moved to the country, is getting her first Chantecler chicks in April. I can't wait for the brown eggs. They cost more in the stores if you can believe it. Bantys are my favorite chicken and I hope she gets one someday.

Wow Leaflady, you've had some chickens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America