Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: New to this forum

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 40, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2140887

Hi there you other southern folks! I live in Clinton which is right outside Jackson.I have been gardening for about 30 years - oh , wait a minute - most of those years I think I might have been WATCHING my DH garden! Anyway, eventually I started buying a few daylilies, started out like so many other folks, not caring about "names".Then I got invited to the daylily society and learned that you really needed to buy "named" varieties and so I had to buy more! After I got a few, the next year I needed more... and like any of you with plant manias, I didn't know when to stop. I now have almost 2,000 named varieties. I have no more space left to plant and have over a dozen in pots and new ones due to arrive within the next few weeks. Oh dear !!!!!

Libby
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #2140920

Your yard has got to be beautiful when they are blooming.

I may have that many daylilies, but most are the same, maybe 10 of 15 diffrerent varieties.

Betty
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2141018

Visit my garden diary ! ( I do mainly close ups so you can't see my weeds !!!!)

http://www.davesgarden.com/journal/

( I hope I did that right !)

Libby
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
11:03 PM

Post #2141033

Well, picabo, when I come to Nashville to visit my daughter, I must bring you some daylilies ! I sure need to get rid of some.

Libby
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2141152

Your yard and flowers are beautiful. I could spend hours looking at your diary.
Thanks for telling us about it.

Betty
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2142405

You're welcome ! I am not kidding about weeds,either ! I think, as I've said in other forums, that I have about as many varieties of weeds as I do daylilies. Our biggest nightmare is Florida betony. We now have it in our lawn as well as in our daylilies. We dig and dig ( all the way to China!) and can't get all the runners. You can't spray for it in the daylilies or it would kill the daylilies. It has ruined my beds!!! If anyone has a suggestion, other than spraying EVERYTHING with Roundup,which DH is about ready to do, please let us hear from you !!!!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2143738

corgimom, This thread you have started is a hoot!!!

You wrote: Almost 2,000 named varieties..

My Response: Girl you have fallen off the edge. You will work yourself to death!!!

Judy

corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2143986

Judy, I know ! Some years I would order as many as 200. Since my mom got the "bug" the same time I did, she would order different ones than I did (only far fewer !!! ) and then we would split ours and share ! They just seemed to keep growing, and growing, and growing. Now they all need new name tags ( well, I did make a few hundred the last several years) and I don't know when I will do it. I should have done it during the winter, but no , I wanted to wait . So now everything needs to be done at the same time. Wanna help???

Libby
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #2145001

Libby,

Either I need another cup of coffee or the above link does not work. Please try it let me know if I need to go back to bed. lol lol

Judy
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2145319

Judy, let me try again. I am new to this all - haven't known how to even use a computer until recently ( I'm 55) and I am a 'slow learner'. I get things so mixed up :(

http://www.davesgarden.com/members/corgimom/
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2006
5:14 PM

Post #2145333

Will someone please let me know if this worked?Thanks,

Thumbnail by corgimom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2006
5:18 PM

Post #2145345

Boy, am I pitiful ! I mean, does my link above work this time, I was not referring to the photo !

Libby
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2006
2:58 AM

Post #2154357

Yes. The second link worked. I love daylillies. I had no inkling there were so many varieties. Yours are beautiful. The common orange ones grow wild here. There are some beautiful ones at the Ky Horse Park in Lexington.
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2154373

Thanks, Cajun ! There are I know over 26,000 varieties so I don't have quite all of them :)

Libby
missmarysgarden
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 10, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #3719649

Hi, I'm new to Dave's - actually, I've been reading for a year, but a computer malfunction kept me from being able to access even with a membership...

I've been a gardener for over 50 years - started in Kansas at my grandmother's side. I'm a "Northern Gardener" now - Minnesota, Zone 4a, sometimes 4b. Used to be a 3 - global warming is real - I grow some Zone 5 quite easily in sun traps now.

I have about 200 named varieties of daylilies, some 500 plants. Most of our yards are in garden - I'm a rose and hosta lover also - about 70 roses. Have a large "wild garden" of mostly native plants under a large silver maple.

I still work full time. I love my "days" - many are in their glory this week.
missmarysgarden
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 10, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #3719671

Uh, you can tell I'm new - I'm in the wrong Zone. Have a great day, mid southerners!

Now to find my way north...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3719882

missmary you are welcome to visit us here in the south. We love everybody and would really enjoy some pictures of those DL and roses!!! WELCOME!!!!

Jeri
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3736193

sure, Mary ! We welcome everyone from all areas - we are all gardeners ! Join in any time !
luvplantsinms2
Eupora, MS

July 14, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #3736294

Libby,
How are you and where have you been Lady?

Carolyn

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 14, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #3736422

Yes, Libby, whats going on in your part of the world these days. Have you packed any more of your daylilies?
Sandra
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3739474

Libby,

Sandra got me hooked on Daylilies.

Judy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 15, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3739573

Guilty as charged
Sandra
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #3750213

I have been packing boxes and cleaning as I go ! For someone that hasn't cleaned house in 10 years this place is a mess ! The dust is killing my sinuses !!! And I have so much "stuff" in my house - as those of you that came to the weed party saw. Think of me having to wrap those hundreds of Santas !!!!! I work soooooo slowly that I am the only one that can tell I am making progress. I basically have the breakfast room, kitchen and dining rooms done - and have started on my daughter's room ( she hasn't lived at home in a gazillion years but I still call it her room !). I am packing all that I can and leaving the bare minimum. Two bowls, a few coffee cups,etc. Only left the Corelle ware - packed up all the china cause I am afraid to use it most of the time. My hands drop stuff so often that I break too much to be risking all the "good stuff" just for us. I even dropped and broke a Corelle ware plate the other day.

We have not put the house on the market. We have a "potential" buyer. I know things might not work out but I hope the Lord is answering my prayers so this sells to this guy and we DON'T have to put it on the market. Having to show it with 3 dogs will be a headache. Dog hair everyday to deal with ! If someone wanted to show it I would have to load up all 3 dogs and disappear for a while. Horrors ! So keep me in your prayers that this guy will buy it and we won't have to go through all that !
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3750299

You've got our prayers, plus positive thoughts and big "cyber" hugs.

Judy & BigDaddy
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
3:31 PM

Post #3754839

Judy, glad you have found a love for daylilies to go along with your love of dogs. They seem to go hand in hand with a lot of us !

I had another bad fall yesterday. Tripped trying to step over one of the packed boxes and fell onto my brick floors - taking a direct hit onto my right knee and then -somehow- rolled over on my back as I hit the bricks and hit my shoulder and head on the floor. Or maybe I hit it on the chair rail as I went down. I don't know because it happened so quickly. I just know my shoulder and head got a smack on the way down. Today I am sore - especially my shoulders. I am just TOO old for this ! I have had so many falls now. I am really pushing my luck ! We just have walking paths in the living room now and it is hazardous walking for even for someone with NO medical problems !
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #3754877

Libby

I'm so very sorry you fell. Last May I only had walking paths so I know what you are dealing with there. It wasn't long until they made me feel dizzy trying to get through them, so no wonder you fell. Don't you have anywhere to put them? I wonder how much those "storage containers" that you move onto your property are. They look like the box structure on an 18 wheeler. What are you planning on doing with them, after you sell your house and until your new house is finished?

Hugs,

Judy
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #3758210

Judy, we have a warehouse (or a section of one) that we can put some stuff in when we go to Pontotoc - only we haven't been in a month! So things are getting piled up around here ! We are waiting for the rain to stop...
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3758345

Libby that is great!! Please send the rain up here!!

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Judu
tathib
Eunice, LA

July 13, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7964575

Do you, by any chance, have Anita Marie or My Anita Marie? I've been looking high and low as that is my name as well as my daughter's and grandmother's.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7979724

Libby who is corgimom has moved and has new gardens. She hardly ever checks in here at Midsouth anymore. Sadly Judy has passed. I assume you were inquiring If Libby had that daylily? I don't have it either. Your best chance is to inquire on the daylily forum or goggle it. You may get a hit on it at a daylily farm.
tathib
Eunice, LA

July 19, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7980341

Thank you, Riverland. I was actually just asking in general, hoping that someone had it. I didn't know that cultivars seem to come and go.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7981672

I will keep an eye out for an Anita Marie. Maybe with a little luck it might turn up.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #7982590

Thanks Riverland ~ I knew Judy had passed but I had missed Corgimoms' posts and hoped she was all right. It would seem members "come and go" just like the cultivars...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7982820

Did Yall know that Flowerlady (Pat) moved to Illinois? I've missed her too!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7983188

Yes I knew she moved. Funny she retired and hardly ever posted since. I guess she wasn't in front of a computer daily anymore. We have so many that have dropped off Dave's that had been pretty faithful to midsouth.
Carolyn and her sister Cindy for example. Judy , Sandra's friend Judy . We do miss them all.
Cindy

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7983444

Yes I miss them too!!! I'm just glad that our lives crossed even for just that little while.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7984310

I noticed Pat had dropped out of sight and wondered. Another one I hadn't seen posting here is Martha ~ MWPerry.

I agree, I often think of someone I had run into in the pass and miss seeing them post. I always wonder what happened to them.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7984530

I think Lilylove still talks to Martha. I remember her sister getting sick and then I haven't crossed paths with her since.
tathib
Eunice, LA

July 20, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7984760

I keep up with people via Facebook and post pics from my garden there too. Maybe y'all could suggest being fb friends when you develop a relationship with them.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7985133

Seems like I read a while back that Martha was taking care of a sister. She is fortunate to be able to and her sister is blessed to have her, I am sure.

I use FB to keep in touch with family that lives far away but my computer time is limited. I enjoy my family here at DG. I know these good people far better than family. We have been through joy and sorrow, thick and thin. I can't imagine not checking in, unless I'm dead or move to a place where there is no internet service or...
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 22, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7988478

Didn't know if ya'll saw that Corgimom had started a new thread on the 22nd... cheking in on everyone...
Just didn't want ya'll to miss it!

Genna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM
Hardy Kiwi djballington 11 Dec 5, 2007 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America