Mite boxes

(Zone 5a)

Since my daughter is having chickens for the first time, my Dad gave her my Grandma's old nesting boxes, heat lamp and roosts, The roosts have little boxes on the underside of the roost. As the chickens roost, the mites go down and get into the box. You check it to see if the chickens need dusting.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Interesting! Never heard of that.

(Zone 5a)

I hadn't either till Dad said something. I remember gathering eggs with Grandma, but was too young to know much. She also put a lightbulb in the nesting box to encourage laying.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Can't imagine putting a lightbulb in. Guess that would discourage egg eaters. :)

The only "mite box" I've ever heard of (until now) is the church offering one, you know, "the widow's mite."

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Chuckle, chuckle.

That's interesting about the mite box. Do you have any pics you can post so we can see it ?

(Zone 5a)

I'll have to get my daughter to take one. The roosts are at her house now. We just got a scanner hooked up, (thanks to my daughter, we live in the dark ages, smile.)

(Zone 5a)

My Dad stopped up today so I asked how old the roosts are. He wasn't sure if Grandma brought them from the other farm when he was little, but they could be from the 1920's. He said they were special made. I got it backwards. Mites feed at night. During the day they hide, so they would use the box. Otherwise, check the bottom of your roost and if you have them, then you dust your chickens and the nesting boxes.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Billy!

tf

(Zone 5a)

Thank you TamaraFaye! I made my usual chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I'm not 48 and holding any more.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

no, now you are 47 and glowing LOL yougotta start habving LESS candles on the cake at some point! lie while it is still beliveable ;-)

tf

(Zone 5a)

Alas, I've matured and can't lie anymore. (And when I say matured, I mean aged.) LOL!

Peggy, Just called my daughter today about the photos of the mite boxes. Hope to have them soon.

(Zone 5a)

These are the mite boxes built on the underside of the roosts. They twist sideways to open up.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.