Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Chicken water - should sugar be added??

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 6, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #2156107

My friend has raised chickens for several years - she adds sugar to her chickens' water. If I've ever heard of this, I've forgotten and my hubby's mom doesn't know about it either. I've searched google and DG for info and have not located a single thing. If there is such a thread, please direct me. What would be the purpose of the sugar and how much should be added? TIA!!
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2156675

From what I've understood, adding sugar to the water is recommended
after day old chicks have been shipped, to help them get past the rough ride thru the postal system.
Other than that, I've never heard of it either. My chicks seem to do just fine with just plain water.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2006
5:12 AM

Post #2157031

what peggie said is correct, the sugar is for day old chicks.

however, i have been participating in a group study with guineas and other fowl, and we are using this in our water:

Apple Cider Vinegar [as unfiletered or organic as possible]
Minced garlic, or whole cloves

You put the garlic IMMEDIATELY into the ACV, to infuse it's properties. Let it site overnight. About 1-2 cloves per liter. then add the mixture to their water! About an ounce per cup of water, or 1-2 cups per gallon.

They will love it, as soon as they get accustomed to it! You will see increased vigor, improved health and immune system. Also, i found that mice don't care for the water [the smell] and therefore have nothing to drink, AND therefore don't pee in the birds water, which can spread disease. I don't think birds can smell well, but they sure like the taste!!!

Good luck Sherry!
tf

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2006
9:10 AM

Post #2157132

Been on the farm over 40 years, always had lots of chickens, all other fowl... Good clean water does the trick..Clean and fresh is the key..

Larkie
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2159409

I add sugar to my chickies water because the hatchery recommends it. Says it gives them energy.

I may try TF's suggestion, garlic is supposed to be good for us, why not them... I wonder if it would affect the taste of the eggs?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2159414

the reports i have say it doesn't. keep in mind, that isn't a whole lot of garlic. this was developed as a health preventative for poultry, and seems to be working well!

like Larkie said, the water needs to be kept fresh [cool in summer, not frozen in winter, helps too!], and clean.

having the waterer at the level of the birds backs, by hanging it or putting bricks or blocks under it, helps prevent poop getting in...

tf
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2006
12:12 PM

Post #2159621

I go with straight up clean cold water too. No additives. If chickens have access to plenty of grasses and weeds, their immune systems should be getting all the help they need.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America