The "little blue bulbs"let's see some pics?...

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody!

I am interested in finding some nice little blue bulbs to underplant with my daffs... so far I have tried chionodoxa and ipheion 'Wisley blue' with little luck with the naturalizing.

Do you have favorite little blue bloomers and any pics to show? Especially blooming in combination with other plantings?

I have read and reread Elizabeth Lawrence's "The Little Bulbs" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0822307391/ref=sib_dp_pt/026-2147429-0063640#reader-page

but have yet to have much success with them so I would love to enjoy other's successes! lol

Thanks. t.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2006 9:02 PM

Thumbnail by tabasco
Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

How about dwarf iris? They are so cute and only aout 6 inches tall. This one is more purple than blue but I know there are bluer varieties. I tried them for the first time this year so I can't account for their naturalizing abilities yet
Good luck

Thumbnail by jxmas
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Do you know the variety of your pretty blue Iris?

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

tabasco -- you might want to check out JamesCo's Mar 30 post/pic to
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/586280/#new
The Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty' looks adorable.

Yes, I am going to order a thousand of those scilla 'spring beauties' for next year (not really a thousand LOL) but I did see them in the daffodil park up in Columbus last week and I think they will be a nice contrast for early blooming yellow daffs. A sort of '55 mile per hour' combination....they are a much nicer and stronger blue than the scilla siberica generally in the trade.

I would like to try the little irises, too, along my stoney front walk, although I do not know their precise bloom times. I have trouble with the rabbits or deer having them for dessert, though. So cute (and tasty, I guess).

Today I am going out with my new camera and will get some new blue bulb pics from the gardens around here. It's nice to see combinations in bloom (for next year's planning.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

T. you have dmail

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Moby -- unfortunately I don't know the variety. I got it in a mixed bag from Bluestone Perennials. I've also been checking out the iris pics from www.tulipworld.com for next year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Same with mine ~ makes it hard to buy more, doesn't it? :)

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I know you already have chionodoxa, but wow, it's hard to beat them:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Beachwood, OH

I put in a measley 100 scilla and 100 chionodoxa last yr. Measly because I didn't do all 100 together which is what I think is needed to really see them. I love the color of both of them - but I like the chionodoxa better for beds because you can see them from a distance - the scilla just get lost unless you are up close. I planted a reflexed dwarf daffodil - I think its Tete-a-tete and scilla would be fantastic paired with those little 6" daffs. The year before's's polyanthus primroses came up and bloomed and of course the white doubles are off by themselves and an bright orange with a yellow eye is under a pink hellebore - yuck. I will move the orange one to be over by the dwarf daffs and add in the scilla. That will be a good combo.
Heres the primrose..

Thumbnail by alyrics
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh what a pretty color!!! This was my first year for overwintering primroses and I was so surprised that they bloom so early! They never actually stopped being green.

Went out to the Civic Garden Center today and found some 'Little Blue Bulbs' which they companion planted very nicely with early-mid season daffs...

I'm thinking these are anemone blanda 'blue shades' but someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And the sea of scilla sibirica that I would like for my side garden...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And I'm thinking this is a rock cress of somekind?... very nice...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

That looks like phlox subulata aka creeping phlox to me. Really pretty. I just planted some on my
rocky hillside - hoping it'll survive the very dry area.
Tam

and these yellow buttercups (?) with a little blue bulb flower...can anyone identify?

Thumbnail by tabasco

All of these were planted among the daffs...

Thumbnail by tabasco

of various kinds...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I agree with Tammy. That looks like phlox to me.

that made a bright show.

Thumbnail by tabasco

and I'm supposing these are Virginia bluebells, n'est ce pas?

Thumbnail by tabasco
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes! I have a spot that I'm going to go to at the end of the month and get some of those. They are on a remote ditchbank behind a reservoir.

The Civic Center had a lovely array of daffs blooming today, and to top it off the Daffodil Society was having their meeting there--planning the Daffodil Show at the Botanical and Zoological Gardens next weekend...

Thumbnail by tabasco

I was reading Judy Glattstein's "Bulbs for Garden Habitats" this morning looking for more little blue bulb information-- she suggested mixing the blue chiondoxa and the blue scilla together, or mix two scillas--the 'spring valley' and the siberica-- for a more interesting show with a little color nuance-ing going on with the early mid-spring daffs...

I was looking for that combo at the Civic Garden Center gardens, but got a little mixed up about the differences between ipheion, chionodoxa and scilla siberica along with the muscari various while looking through the camera lens. I think the hyacinth multi 'blue festival' would be a good addition to the mix, too, and I'm going to do that next year.

Yes, Tammy, that's probably phlox subulata-- I thought perhaps something else because my phlox subulata is not even close to blooming and this covered a hillside already. I do have rock cress blooming now, though.

Are these good old common sweet violets? (Can't see the thumbnail) I think they are so cute and some people get apoplexic about having them in their lawns...don't understand it...

Thumbnail by tabasco
(Zone 6a)

tabasco, I like your anemones! They are so pretty and I love how they come up and bloom over a period of time.......I've had mine bloom for a six week period. If you're looking for blue bulbs for naturalizing try siberian squill for sure and it seeds around. I have a little clump of it and I love it!!! You could also try crocus 'blue pearl', its a light blue and almost looks like it's glowing. Lovely. Have you thought about other blue bloomers like forget-me-nots? They seed like mad and grow in sun or shade....they are great little guys and easy to pull out if they come up where they're not wanted.

Steve

(Zone 6a)

yup, those are old fashioned violets for sure, I've got them in my garden but they're a deeper purple....I love them!!! I also have white ones and I've seem peach coloured ones growing in a lawn once.......

and chinodoxa luciliae with aconite...

Thumbnail by tabasco
(Zone 6a)

charming!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here are some nice little blue flowers for you ~

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/76810/

moby--

very interesting and exotic Ixiolirion Tataricum---

Brent & Becky's says umbels of blue on 12-18 inch stems...excellent in full sun in rock gardens...prefers hot dry summers. Late spring bloom.

I don't think I've seen them blooming in a garden, but I will have to watch in late May for them.

Have you had success with them and what are their plant partners? Maybe poppies?....

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Great pics everyone!

tabasco, the chionodoxa and squills do blend well together. They naturalized together in my mother's lawn and were like pools of blue. Not that you can ever have enough of them, but do give them time; you'll see a big difference next year.

Those Anemone blanda are beautiful, and keep making me kick myself for not planting any in fall. Top of the list this year, by golly!

I've been trying muscari varieties, and finally have some M.azureum and M.latifolium starting to bloom. I got the M.azureum from eflowergarden, and mysteriously some M.latifolium are among them. While I did plant some M.latifolium, they went in pots much after the others were planted.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

I too have been searching for blueish flowers to match with my daffodils. I have a nice section of "Little Gem" daffodils with a variety of blue shades and white muscari. But I've found that the muscari, though they naturalize well in our garden, don't seem to match up with our larger daffs.

Is there anything else that dies back nicely when the daffodils do so that they could be planted in the yard and wouldn't mind getting mowed later in the season? (Hubby gets a little carried away sometimes, so I finally just started putting some tiny VERY early flowers, like crocus, in the lawn because they are definitely through by the time lawn mowing season rolls around.) I am just not a fan of solid green this time of year. I like to see some color mixed in!

Calypsa-- I can only suggest experimenting with the little bulbs to see how the timing might conflict with mowing. I think it's hard coordinate interplanted bulbs with lawn but it certainly is a neat concept. At the civic garden center they said they mowed around their patches scilla until they were ready to cut weeks later. A little messy but might be worth it.

The muscari are interesting and getting more popular--- I have tried various muscari with mixed results, too...plumosum, fantasy creation, blue spike, and aucheri 'Blue Magic'.along with the common muscari..but not getting the timing with the daffs lined up very well. The daffs bloom too early.

And some of the above are actually quite ugly when matched with the wrong flower (or even by themselves)! (I am thinking of plumosum and fantasy creation, especially.) Very muddy looking.

I read that muscari 'Christmas Pearl' is the one to plant with early and mid season daffs and that is the one I don't have, of course.

I want to try anemone nemorosa, too, but I understand it is picky about it's siting...

And what about geranium tuberosa--- it looks pretty in pictures, but I never hear of anyone planting them? Only the hardy geraniums.

Here's the vinca minor in bloom this weekend. I hesitate to post the pic because vinca is supposed to be so invasive, but for us it's not...pretty with 'Little Gems' under the trees...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I posted this elsewhere so my apologies for a repeat for those who've seen it.

My anemone blanda are self seeding into the lawn. I planted them under my dogwoods
and they are spreading out. I just love 'em. They bloom for about 4wks and the folliage
is nice too (and small enough to be mowed over).

Thumbnail by Tammy
(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have any luck with other anemone blanda besides the blue one? Whenever I buy mixed colours I always just get the blue! Other colours don't do as well or just don't come up. All I got last year on my white ones I tried was leaves so maybe this year I'll get blooms....

Steve

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

t, check your post from yesterday at 4:04 ~ looks like they might be the same flower as my Ixio. My daffs will bloom in the next week or so and the Ixio in mid to late May.

Companion planting....? I just tuck bulbs between big, green perennials where I'd like some color. Spring bulbs around the hostas, lilies between and behind the daylilies, etc..

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Steve, several years ago I grew the white anemone blanda. It increased nicely for a few years before the tree it was growing under created a dark desert. Pretty much everything under the tree died. But, the white anemones were gorgeous! Very showy and made a beautiful underplanting for tulips or daffordils.

tabasco, I'm finding timing difficult with a lot of these bulbs the first year; it seems they're off. It's also hard for me because my hollow microclimate puts my stuff back a couple of weeks anyway. If you try Iris reticulata, while they are great with the earliest daffs, keep in mind before putting close to a pathway that after blooming the grassy foliage grows to 1' or more. I use them around daffs in the inner areas of the beds, then the grassy clumps are obscured by other flowers. But they can look untidy at that time.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

Tabasco, I love vinca minor and I wish I had more of it. It's not invasive around here, at least not for me, and I'm hoping to get a nice pile growing under our Silver Maples. (Can't get much else growing, and I can't stand to look at the pile of rocks out there.) I sure wish that my little threads of vinca would hurry up and cover the ground near my daffodils!

Good point, gem, about the messy leaves on the iris. I do love them (but not as much as the bunnies) and keep trying to grow them, but so far I haven't had to worry about the leaves getting long before they get eaten... I am going to put them on my 'order' list though for next year and try again with chicken wire or some such deterrent.

Here's a pic of my tulipa humilis (about 6 inches tall) blooming with the early mid-season daffs. First time I have grown them--and protected them by planting them in sinken plastic pots with the hardware cloth over the tops...still lost several to the deer... Any way, very cute and subtle and a nice touch for a rock garden. A little lost, though, where I placed them. Next time I'll get it right!

Bright and sunny day here. Makes the garden sparkle.

Thumbnail by tabasco
(Zone 6a)

I used to grow tulipa humilis, but it doesn't seem to have come up this year :( I love the hot pink colour of it.
You should try it in pots with some moss on top of the soil, it's a good combo.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images