Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: new calf no experience.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 19, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2157659

I have a new baby calf coming today. 5 weeks old, still on the bottle.

I have some powdered milk and a bottle. She has had all her vacines and worming already.

Just want some newby advice I know to keep her tied up, her mother died of old age.

How often to feed the bottle and how much, do I start on feed yet? which feed? sweet feed? anything else?
she's being raised for the freezer.

kathy
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2158260

hehe, good luck with the freezer after bottle feeding her. I get too attached to them. You'll have to get someone else to do the deed for ya.

I can butcher any of my chickens...except the ones I hatched from the incubator. I handled the eggs 3 to 5 times a day, turning and checking on them until they hatched. Now, they're my favorites. I'm just an ole softy.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2006
9:52 PM

Post #2158395

LOL, Well, that's not the advice I was looking for LOL.

I know what you mean.

kathy
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #2159316

Oops ! Sorry, ... I was afraid that might not be what you wanted to hear.

In all seriousness though, we have thought of raising a calf to butcher.
It's gotta be a better way to go than the supermarket meat. I admire your courage to jump in there and give it a try. Maybe I'll get enough encouragement from you to give it a whirl. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2006
5:02 AM

Post #2159413

We fed 3X's a day, milk replacer that we bought at TSC. We have buckets with nipples on them, and the calves took to them really quick... at 5 weeks old, you shouldn't have to be feeding her but a few more weeks.

Put some hay in the stall, I wouldn't tie her up, but stall her if possible, and a pan of feed in the stall too, along with water. They'll nibble at the hay and the feed, but still rely on the milk for their nutrition, though not as much at the age you are getting as they do when they're younger.

We just fed the same thing we fed the cows, a cracked corn mix. We never put "she's" in the freezer, they're too valuable as breeders. :0)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2159936

Thanks Melissa

this she, was left alone by her mama dying, and we don't want to getinto the breeding business. just meat for the freezer. I know she's full blood beefmaster, and we could have papers on her, but you know , we only have l0 acres LOL

she's in a small pen now, doing well, not chained up. I'll do that with the feed and hay.

Thanks for the help

kathy
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #2160216

Darn, wish you weren't so far away, I'd trade ya a bull for the heifer! :0)

Make sure she's got water too, really important. She'll be eating on her own before you know it. :0)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2160361

ok, thanks,

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2006
6:13 PM

Post #2160396

here she is, today was her second day on the bottle, we had to hold her down yesterday to get her to take it, today we held her still and let go of her when she started drinking from the bottle. Soon, she'll be chasing me down for the bottle LOL

we took that harness off her last night.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2006
7:07 PM

Post #2160545

You said it, soon she will be chasing you for the bottle. I doubt she makes it to the freezer after being bottle fed...maybe you could milk her...
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2006
7:38 PM

Post #2160615

Are you sure she's a she? If she's 5 weeks old, the umbilical cord area should be smooth by now.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2006
9:33 PM

Post #2160875

yes she's definitely a she, she's pee out the back end right?

males pee from the umbilical cord area right? just checking. LOL

she's has gone pee from the back end, kind of squatting like.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2161224

hmmm I wonder why the umbilical cord area is still so big then?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2161300

not sure on that. I didnt ask them, I have to take the harness back to them, I"ll ask why it's still on there.

and post here

kathy
Nebraska_Jewel
southeast, NE

April 6, 2006
5:17 PM

Post #2168772

Based on experience, whatever you do, don't pet her head. The causes them to buck at you wanting their head to be petted. Having a 1000 lb anything try to butt you is not fun.

As for feeding advice, we only fed our bottle calves twice a day, following the instructions on the bag. Also start her out slow on feed. We use a calf starter.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2006
3:09 PM

Post #2171244

I'll have to remember not to pet her, I don't really want to make apet out of her, I appreciate the advice.

thanks

kathy

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2180590

Breeding heifers are selling very well right now. We discovered some years back that the cost of feed outweighed the savings on beef when we fed a steer and had it processed. My basic rule is never eat anything that thinks you are mama. As a result I have two great sons-- thirty-somethings--and a beef roast to cook tomorrow purchased at WalMart. BTW Beefmasters, even heifers, have hanging-down-spots where you would not expect them. Ten acres most places will support a cow and calf. A heifer is bringing over $1.00 per pound in Central Texas right now.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2006
9:49 AM

Post #2186415

I'm with Robert. I think you have enough room to keep her..

I have a cow named Cheeseburger. I didn't raise her from a bottle calf, but bought her right after she was already weaned.. Obviously by her name she was headed for the freezer... I don't even think the guy that raised her could eat her. I tried to change her name to "Lucky You're Not Cheeseburger" and just call her Lucky.. But somehow Cheeseburger stuck..

Any child that wants to can go up and hug her.. She has such a wonderful nature. She's just not what I would consider a --- Front Pasture Cow. She has a scooped back, small udder, long body and short legs. She's also a master fence tester.. I have thought about renting her out with a homing device attached to her to someone that wants to make sure they have a good sturdy fence.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2006
5:36 AM

Post #2196211

Oops, KathyJo, that was me posting, not Robert. I think he would eat anything properly cooked. :>)) I have bottled so many calves, lambs, and goats and gotten so attached to them. He has begun naming the young cows, so perhaps there's hope for him too. Just today he showed me a photo of Lightning and her newest baby.

I can't believe we are keeping heifers right now with prices as high as they are. This week 400-500 pound heifers sold at $1.50 per pound.

Patricia (the more sentimental half of patrob)
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2006
1:52 AM

Post #2198286

Sorry about that Patricia! I'm with you on the bottle feeding though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America