Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Needle Arts: Santa Claus mits

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 19, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2158687

When my children (now 31 and almost 34) were small, I had a pattern for crocheted Santa Claus mits. The front and back were done separately and sewed together. The back of the hand featured a loopy white beard. I think my daughter may still have one mit and I'll ask her to take a photo.

I cannot find the pattern which I think probably originated in Family Circle or similar magazine. Does anyone have a similar pattern? Now that I have 4yr old grand-twins, I'd like to make those again.

Thanks.

Ann

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
5:31 AM

Post #2921311

Gosh, took me a lot of clicking but I may have found the mitts your looking for... http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/jacobean/141/santamittens.html

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
11:54 AM

Post #2921546

That's it. Thanks. I actually came across them myself awhile back, but had by then found a knitted pattern that I thought I'd use until I found it difficut to interpret how to make the loops. (I knit sort of left handed and sort of European style so some interpretation was required.) By then, I had difficulty finding the crocheted one again. This is right on time for Christmas.

Ann

PS I'll try to find the knitted pattern and post a link in case others are interested.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2921899

Your grands will be cute as the dickens in them! no, they're already cute as the dickens, they'll just be cuter! lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #2922559

Found the knitted one - hope that the link works properly.

http://www.geocities.com/auntpurls/santa_mitt.html

(The test did) I may do the knitted version instead if I can figure out the loops. But I appreciate the crocheted version. I KNOW I can do them as I made them for my own kids. In fact DD#1, the mother of the twins, still has her pair.

Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2006
6:09 PM

Post #3016846

Here's one pair which I just finished. Did three all together - one for each of the grand twins and one pair which was given to the "Christmas boutique" at the local food bank where I volunteer. Hope to get more done next year for the church bazaar.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2006
4:07 AM

Post #3018038

Ann, they are cute as the dickens!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #3018587

They are really clever!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2006
3:55 PM

Post #3018951

Thanks. Now all I need to do is FIND them. DH brought the grand-twins over yesterday afternoon and I put both pairs up so they wouldn't see them. WHERE????? LOL
hummerlou
Bedias, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #3025997

Those are adorable!!!! Now, if we could find mittens in the shape of Thomas, the Tank Engine!!!
virgo49
Fremont, OH

November 24, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8229195

does anyone have a copy of the Santa Mittens from above. I had a copy of the Childs size but accidentally threw away the infant size. Just wondered if anyone had a copy and could post.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #8229741

Crocheted Santa Mittens

(child)
Directions for size 4-5 yrs. (Changes for size 6-7 yrs. )
Materials: - worsted weight yarn of your choice
- 1 oz. Each of red(R); pink (P) and white(W).
- Steel crochet hook size F (G).
- Cardboard piece ½" wide x 4" long.
- Yarn needle
- four plastic eyes (or buttons)
- pompoms 2 White (1" wide) if don't want to make your own.

Gauge: 5 sc= 1" (size F hook); 9 sc = 2" (size G hook)

Mittens: Back:
with W and size F (G) hook, ch 13

row 1 - work lp st in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. [to make loop st (lp st)=insert hook in st, wind yarn once over cardboard strip, pull yarn thru st, yo and thru 2 lps on hook]. Ch 1, turn each row
row 2 - inc 1 sc each side, sc in each lp st–14 sc
row 3-9 - work alternating rows of lp st and sc, end with lp sp row. Cut W.
row 10 - with P, sc in each lp st
row 11-19 - work evenly, cut P
row 20 and 21 (20-23 for larger size)
- with W, work evenly, cut W
row 22-24 (24-28 for larger size)
- with R, work evenly
row 25 (29for larger size)
- dec 1 sc each side.
Row 26 (30 for larger size)
- work evenly, repeat last 2 rows twice–8sc. Dec 1 sc each side of next row. Fasten off.

Palm:
With R, ch 13
Row 1 - sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch–12 sc. Ch 1, turn each row.
Row 2 - inc 1 sc each side–14 sc
row 3-12 - work evenly

Form Thumb:
Row 13: - sc in each of 4 sc; ch 1 turn. Work 7 (8 for larger) more rows evenly on 4 sc. Dec 1 sc on next row, work 2 rows evenly, Inc 1 sc on next row, work 7 (8 for larger) more rows evenly. Fold thumb in half, sk 4 sc on last full row, sc in 10 sc.

Next row: sc in each st of palm and thumb–14 sc.Work evenly until piece measures same as back to first dec row. Repeat from row 25 (29 for larger) to end of back.

Finishing:

- Sew up thumb first. When sewing up 2nd piece, reverse position of thumb.
- Sew back to palm, wrong sides tog.
- Make a 1" wide W pompom for each mitten; sew to tip.
- For moustache, with W, ch 13. Work in loop st across ch.Sew on.
- Embroider R mouth with a straight st, caught at center with a tiny st.
- For nose, with R, ch 2, 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sew on. Sew on eyes.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2010 7:21 AM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #8229743

Those are the crocheted ones. I've gone over to the knitted ones which have more "give" to them.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8229744

Or, more recently, I've replaced the loops with eyelash yarn (purl side out is fuzzier). Let me know if you'd like the knitted pattern too.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

virgo49
Fremont, OH

November 27, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8233657

Oops. sorry I wanted the knit pattern. I found a regular plain knitted mitten pattern and just substituted in it where I need to make the loops for the "beard" and the hat rim and it worked ok. I did try the eyelash yarn, but it seemed so thin, so I ripped out and used worsted for the "beard". I think I will double the strands of eyelash and try again. Thank you for the crochet pattern tho. I will forward to a friend who crochets.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #8233707

I'll find the knitted pattern tomorrow. As I recall, I made an error in my adaptation of it which I need to fix.

For the eyelash yarn, I used one strand together with one strand of sport-weight yarn. BTW, I'm finding it very difficult to get nice eyelash yarn anymore. Seems to be passé.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8235902

This is the pattern as I found it on the Internet. Last time I looked, it was no longer there.

Changes I've made:
Substitute one strand of sport weight yarn and one of eyelash yarn for the loop stitch. Work the beard backwards - it's fuzzier on the purl side.

I also knit the entire mitten, putting the stitches for the thumb on a holder. Then after I've sewn the mitten together, I pick up those stitches and some in the next row and knit the thumb on 4 needles.

For the nose, I use red and crochet a half-round using just 2 strands of the worsted yarn. Leave a nice long tail for sewing it on.

I make finger pompoms, winding sport weight yarn around two fingers about 70 times. Tie as tightly as you can get it and then start trimming with very sharp scissors. Would be a lot easier to buy some if you can find them.
-------------------------------------------------------
Knitted Santa Mitts

Size 7 needles; worsted weight yarn (acrylic for easy washing)

LOOP STITCH:
Row 1: knit
Row 2: knit 1, make a loop [insert needle into next st, wind yarn over needle point, then over 1 finger of left hand, then over needle point again; draw 2 loops through the st and place them back on left needle; knit the 2 loops together through the back], knit 1
Row 3: knit
Row 4: knit 2, make loop

FOR MITTEN: cast on 24
k1, p1 rib for 2 inches (I do 12 rows)
- next row knit, increasing 4 stitches evenly
- next row purl
- next row drop red, join white, knit 13 stitches and drop white. Place marker for thumb gusset. Join red, inc in next 2 stitches. Place marker. Knit across next row purl red stitches, work loop stitch with white
- next row work red st with red in st st and white sts with white in loop st, inc on knit side with red between markers. Continue until there are 12 st between markers, end white.
- next row purl over red st, Turn. Work over 12 thumb st. in st st for 8 rows. Ccut red yarn and gather thumb st and sew up thumb.
- slip white sts to right needle. Join skin color.
- next 6 rows, st st with skin color over white sts, red over red sts, end red and skin color yarns
- with white (right side) knit 1 row. Turn. Work moss st for 2 rows. End white and join red.
- purl 1 row, turn
- knit 1, knit 2 tog, knit 8, knit 2 tog twice, knit 8, knit 2 tog, knit 1. Turn.
- purl 1 row, turn
- knit 1 knit 2 tog, knit 6, knit 2 tog twice, knit 6, knit 2 tog, knit 1. Turn.
- purl 1 row, turn
- knit 1 knit 2 tog, knit 4, knit 2 tog twice, knit 4, knit 2 tog, knit 1. Turn
- purl 1 row. Cut yarn leaving tail long enough to sew seam. Gather through 14 stitches on knitting needle, but do not sew yet.

Make nose:
- with pink yarn cast on 1 st. Inc into st twice making 4 sts. Turn. Knit 4, turn, knit 4, slip 2nd, 3rd, & 4th st over 1st stitch, pull yarn tail through last st to fasten off. Cut yarn leaving tail to sew.

I pull beginning and end tail of nose through middle st of last row of beard and tie in square knot trim ends. Sew eyes above nose (its easier if mitten is not sewn up) now go back and sew side seam.

Make pompon and sew to top of mitten.

Make second mitt, reversing the face and background.

Copies of this pattern may be made for personal use only. All rights reserved. 2000 Knitting Page
--------------------------------
Picture of these is about 3 posts above. Picture of them with eyelash yarn is right below it.
virgo49
Fremont, OH

November 29, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #8236755

I can't thank you enough for posting the smaller size. I'm going to make up a pair tonight. I recall that I bought pom-poms at a craft store and sewed at the top of the mittens when I made them a few years ago. It was much easier than making pom-poms. I also made the eyes with black yarn in a French Knot. I did have a little trouble with the nose, so I will try your hint. I have a stash of leftover eyelash yarn, and you are correct in that the newer is not as nice. The mitts with the eyelash yarn are really cute, so I am going to try the eyelash with the sport weight. I had searched the internet for the knitted pattern, and as you said the posting was removed (I do know that geocities is no longer operates a web-service) So again, thank you for posting. You've made my day!!
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 30, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8238272

These are adorable!!!
Miss777
Bellingham, WA

May 5, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8541794

I'm looking for the Annie
s attic baby rings layette pattern, it was in 92 i believe. I found in on ebay but when I didn't have the finances go figure huh. Well if anyone can help me I would appreciate thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
christening gown Joannaz 6 May 1, 2007 1:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America