Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

PlantFiles Pictures: Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 6, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rwc_gardener
Fresno, CA

April 6, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2167337

Scotch Broom, Broomtops, Common Broom, European Broom, Irish Broom
Cytisus scoparius

Scotch broom about 6' tall x 4' wide

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31424/

Thumbnail by rwc_gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2006
3:30 AM

Post #2167673

Just gorgeous!! I love that bright yellow color.
Cubbs
Rochester, NY

May 19, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #3513359

Is this plant as "bad" as they say it is? what about being used as a home plant? I just bought one in red for under my front picture window..do you have to keep trimed back?
Thanks for any replies
Cubbs
rwc_gardener
Fresno, CA

June 12, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #3604205

My scotch broom is now over 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide. It has flowered continously from March til now (June 11th). After its first bloom (the entire shrub was covered with thousands of flowers), I cut it back a little and its second bloom has been tremendous this year. If contained in a small (accessable) area of the yard and you are vigilant about picking up after it (it is a messy plant after it has flowered), the plant is not invasive. I've had a few seedlings arise, but it certainly hasn't been taking over the yard. I have grown a few of these seedlings and have given them away.
They are very fast growing and are quite drought tolerant once they are rooted in.
I prune and shape the scotch broom a few times a year and it gives good shade to some other plants of mine. I only know how the plant does here in the moderate Mediterranean climate of the San Francisco area. I've read that it thrives in the Pacific Northwest. Any way, I just love the plant and it looks good year round even without flowers.
Thanks

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3604659

My Mauve-pink Scotchbroom hasn't shown sign of invasiveness. Few seedpods observed, none survived to litter the yard with seedlings in my zone.
Turbo2
Mineola, TX

July 16, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5269463

I planted a broom plant which was covered with yellow blooms and the rabbits ate it to the ground that very night. I have trouble with rabbits eating a lot of my plants. I have set live traps but they won't go inside. I have also tried spraying 'Tabasco' water on plants (as advised by 'DirtDoctor', but since I have a lot of plants, this is time-consuming. I live in Texas and by the time I get off work & until sundown, it is still very hot outside with 90% humidity. NOTE: I usually water from 6:15 until 7:30 a.m. before I go to work. Any advice on getting rid of these rabbits?
jmunro
Hauppauge, NY

July 14, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9205250

WOW! I Googled Scotchbroom for some prunning tips and was met with massive negative comments. I live in the Northeast and struggle to keep my Scotchbroom alive. Non-invasive , fragrant and beautiful. I guess its a local thing..If you are in the northeast, definatly give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America