Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

High Yield Gardening: Square Foot Gardening

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mamakane
Valley Head, WV
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2001
12:07 PM

Post #943

Has anyone tried the Square Foot Gardening Method? I've started adding veggie plants to the flower beds the last couple of years, and done some instensive planting of veggies in the cold frame. Now I've discovered Mel Bartholomew's method of gardening and I can't wait to get organized for this summer's crop of vegetables, with a few flowers too.

Here's a site that explains SQ. FT. Gardens better than I could:
http://www.flinet.com/~gallus/stan.html

and one that shows some good pictures: http://www.aristotle.net/~shicks/sqft/index.html

Byron
Lyndeborough, NH

January 29, 2001
3:08 PM

Post #49518

Some folks in cool humid area's have trouble with that method. They experienced increased bugs and diseases.

This is just a "Heads up" keep a close eye on the area's
where plants overlap each other.

Byron
mamakane
Valley Head, WV
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2001
9:37 PM

Post #49572

I'm already planting intensive plants successfully. I really like the oraganization I have discovered in the square foot gardening! Plus there are lots of other tips in the book. Like ways to water conservativly, ease in making a cover to get an early start on plants - very important to me, methods to encourage me to plant what I can use! not that whole row of lettuce that will go to seed before I can eat it, etc. The book is just brimming with great ideas!

The one drawback I'll have here, is my season is not long enough to use sucessive planting sufficiently. I believe all methods of gardening have to be adapted to each individual's garden
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2001
2:29 PM

Post #49725

mamakane, I've tried that method before. Unfortunately, it did not work very well for me. My summers are very hot and humid and I experienced the increase in diseases that Brook mentioned. There just wasn't enough air flow to keep my plants healthy. Some folks have great success with Mel's method. I just wasn't one of them.

Pete2
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2001
3:56 PM

Post #49745

Hey, Pete,

Twern't me what said that. I believe it was Byron.

Even if Mel's method doesn't work for a particular gardener, everybody can grow more intensively than is usually thought. Most plant spacing charts, for instance, are based on two things: long rows of one plant, and spacing them in order to accomodate mechanical equipment.

Generally speaking, you can space plants slightly wider than their crowns. This leaves plenty of air space without crowding.

I know many people, for instance, who space peppers at only 13 inches---when the literature says they should go at 2 feet.

If you mix & match, which is one of the key's to Mel's system, spacing becomes even less of a problem. In other words, rather than a group of tomatoes, you have, say, one tomato plant, and some lettuce, and maybe a patch of carrots, and a pepper plant, and some beans. Etc. Etc.

Trick is to arrange things so the soil in that bed can support the total biomass.

I _know_ these things work. But for me, all that graphing and math is too much. So I plant intensively, but not to any particular formulas.

A couple of books that might be of interest are "The Sustainable Vegetable Garden," by John Jeavons and Carol Cox, and "The Postage Stamp Garden Book," by Duane and Karen Newcomb.
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2001
2:45 PM

Post #50227

Oops! My apologies, gentlemen.

Pete2

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America