have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

this is one of the plumies i bought from evelyn....i have never had an inflo with color IMMEDIATELY>..it came from Hawaii..and may be her "almost black"...take a peek

Thumbnail by junglebob
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Bob - too, too cool!!! :)

(Zone 10b)

Very nice, Bob! Please post a picture of it when it blooms. I would very much like to see if her Almost Black is really almost black.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

clare..and chantell..thanks...i have heard from some others...that they have had plumies with the same coloring...it is unique to me though...will follow up with pics as it blooms..

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

that's exciting, will wait for it to bloom too.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Keep in mind that the black maybe reliant on the Ha sun and heat too.
She may end up really really dark red but perhaps not as dark as your hoping.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

michael..if it stays as hot here in florida as it was today..90...maybe it will be...whatever it turns out will be a great serendipity...8))

Orlando, FL

I am rooting a cutting I Ordered from Hawaii and it too looks like yours.
I was wondering if it was going to bloom. Fran

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

should bloom...mine is forming an inflo....do you have an inflo yet...

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Bob, for this dummy (me!)......what's an inflo?

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

An inflo (short for inflorescence) is the bloom stalk. In the picture of Bob's plumie it is very clearly visible on the right hand side.

(Zone 10b)

Bob, many of my inflo's look like that, but it is not necessarily an indication that the flowers will be red. I've had rainbows and pinks that emerged with very red stems and a red overall coloration. It probably is red since that is what you bought, but I've had had colors look like that too.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Bob, I also recieved some cuttings from Evelyn,and as of today, 3 varieties have bloomed for me! Here are some pics of them...

Thumbnail by Dave67

This one was next...

Thumbnail by Dave67

And this one opened just today!!

Thumbnail by Dave67

Oh, I almost forgot to ask for ID help on these photos, as the cuttings came pretty much unmarked.Thanks...

(Zone 10b)

Hi Dave! Nice flowers! Thanks for sharing them. That is awesome that you got some blooms already. I too bought some cuttings from her, but her 'Almost Black' cutting was mostly rotten when it arrived. I cut off most of the rot and grafted the top part. We'll see if it takes. Did you have any trouble rooting them? Reds can be tough to root, but you must have done well! I don't recognize any named registered cultivars in your pictures, but they are nice unnamed ones!

Hi Clare! We also recieved one 'Almost Black' cutting,although I'm not sure it survived our chilly winter here.We lost 15 out of 50 cuttings from her,I thought it was probably due to my lack of experience. If I get some new varieties of hers to bloom, I'll be sure to post the pic's..

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

HI Dave...good pics....Evelyn was very gracious...some of the ones she sent struggled..but i have had pretty good success so far...am anxious to see the blooms...think she said they're a mix of Hawaiian plants...so no real names...Bob

Bob, Its alot of fun to watch as these flowers develope, it amazes me how you cant tell for sure what color your going to get untill they open.And the smell is such a bonus, each one different from the next...Its OK to me if they dont have names, I would'nt love them any less.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

DAve I agree and i give some of mine...my own name 8^))

(Zone 10b)

Thanks, Dave and Bob, for letting me know how you are both fairing with her cuttings. I purchased 20 from her, and only the Almost Black looked bad, but I am hoping the graft of the top part will take. I have mine in a group container just sitting on top of dry potting soil on a heat source. Bottom heat seems to be the key to rooting success. Any soil temperature over 80 is said to be ideal for rooting cuttings.

Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures. I feel the same way you do because some of my favorite plumerias are not named and not registered at all.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

i haven't used a heat source other than the concrete driveway

I just set a 10 gallon aquarium on top of my oil filled heater.
The bottom has 3 inches of perlite,
I sunk the cuttings in it and sprayed them lightly.
I sunk about 15 cuttings in all.
The temp is no less than 80 and as high as 98-99
We shall see!!

(Zone 10b)

Bob, that's a pretty good heat source!

Michael, you are so smart! My heat source that I was talking about above is also my oil-radiant heater in the greenhouse! LOL! I bet every single one of yours will root! I hear that, when you use the Perlite on top of heat method, you need to keep some water at the very bottom or the roots will fry. Someone on Pals mentioned that. I think it was Dewayne. He leaves his cuttings in his aquarium filled with Perlite on a heat source too, and he lets them get big root systems before he pulls them out, but he says that, if the aquarium is dry, then the roots burn up so he has to make sure that there is some water at the bottom at all times. I did this method with one special cutting, and it worked, but I potted it up before the roots became long.

Yeah, Im not waiting for the roots to form a mass.
When they show its into the soil with them.
Then ill keep the pot in the aquarium too lol!!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

getting here late today..i went to visit Richlin frangipani farm...about 60miles south of me...they have sold their place after 2 years of devastating hurricanes....they are selling their complete stock of plumies...but cannot ship...if anyone is in the florida area..it could be a nice trip and some very good prices...Richard has 2 wonderful whippet dogs...i fell in love with them..so gentle and wonderful companions..Jasper goes everyplace with Richard all over the "farm"...Blossom kind of sleeps in the shade...he he...

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Rich and jasper

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

and Blossom

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

richard and plumies

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

lots of work involved....

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

AND..

Thumbnail by junglebob

Richlin was the first to send me seeds in 04 when I got started big time.
Myheart is heavy at their loss.
They will be in our prayers for sure.
He is a generous man.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Michael..i had such a wonderful time.i wish everyone could visit..

(Zone 10b)

The pictures aren't showing up for me. Maybe Dave's server is having problems again. I'll check back to see if the pictures show up for me later, but thanks for posting this Bob. I sure wish I could go visit him, and it is neat that you did. I love whippets! I may have to get one or two one day.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

hmmm Clare same here....didn't notice this last night...i'll ck back later...or send me your email address and i'll fwd email with the pics...Bob

Your pics were fine last night.

Orlando, FL

My cutting looks exactly like yours. The top I mean. I am rooting it in water and I have two in the water and one now has roots and the other one does not. I hestate to put them in the ground for fear the roots will rot.Fran

(Zone 10b)

Bob, the server must be fixed. I noticed pictures missing last night all over the forum. That happens sometimes when the server is being worked on. Anyway, I can see your pictures now, and they are great! Thanks for sharing them. I love, love, love those whippets. Richlin looks like a great guy. I so wish that I lived closer because I would be there in a heartbeat. Anyone who lives near him or within travelling distance of him should go get some great deals on established plants!

Fran, if you are in an area which doesn't freeze, you can plant yours in the ground, and they will do great. You can even plant them in the ground if your area does freeze in the winter if you dig them up before the first frost and store them in the garage. Once a plumeria has roots, it will not rot unless it is subjected to cold/wet conditions for a period of time. If you have good drainage and warm weather, your plumies will love being planted. If you are just starting out rooting them, you can put them in one-gallon containers, and once the roots fill the one-gallon container, you can either plant it in the ground or move it up to a five-gallon container and plant it in the ground next year. By the way, water rooting can be quite tricky with plumerias since they have so much water in their stems so congratulations on your success at rooting one of them!

Heres a couple more blooms from my cuttings that I recieved from (Ebayer) Evelyn....

This first one I believe must be a type of shell plumeria.I kept waiting for the first two flowers to open fully but they never did.Then I cut the inflo off (to speed up rooting) and put it in some water .Of course the next flower opened fully so Im not sure what it is...

Thumbnail by Dave67

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.