-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2174430

Just planted these today. 2 down 2 to go.
I like these 1/2 55 gal drum barrels. I will do this many many many more times.
Heavy Weight Bell Peppers, Sweet banana, hot banana, cayenne, jalapeno, and one better bush tomato, all surrounded by marigolds, petunias.

Cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2006
9:49 PM

Post #2174561

Wow , They look beautiful. What great recycling idea.
Patti
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2176816

now 4 half barrels
the next two have eggplant, petunias, and marigolds.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2182216

12 half barrel
planting onions , garlic, and sowing turnips, radishes, and carrots in the ones that are full of soil

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2006
11:51 PM

Post #2182493

Cricket--As usual, you never cease to amaze me! I love your posts...just one question where did you get them? And how did you cut them in half?
Debbie
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2006
1:13 AM

Post #2182676

We have a local salvage place here---they have nothing ugly---they just collect , buy , and resale used stuff. They get the barrels from somewhere else and sale them. They costed me $15 each. They use to have concentrated orange juice in them.
I guess you just have to call around and ask if certain stores sale barrels---or if they know where to get some.
I just got lucky.

hope you get lucky too.

Cricket
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2183696

and oops

We cut them using a Jig Saw. The plastic barrels have a mold line on half way mark already so it is easy to cut in half.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2006
12:45 PM

Post #2204971

11 days after I transplanted to the barrel planters.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2006
8:04 PM

Post #2233388

update pictures

Better Bush tomato barrel planter
And the Bell Pepper Planter

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2006
8:08 PM

Post #2233398

Eggplant Planter

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #2233404

some new planters with sweet banana peppers, better bush tomatoes, petunias.

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2006
10:27 PM

Post #2233645

I've been thinking about doing this with the plastic versions, and now I'm pretty much convinced that I should give it a try. I have access to free drums that were used for liquid soap, so cleaning them up certainly shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the inspiration. Paul
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #2235826

Another one of my stupid experiments:
I planted 4 squash plants per 1/2 barrel. (27gallons soil)
I have planted 8 Cantaloupes per 1/2 barrel.
Planted 6 watermelons per 1/2 barrel.

Have carrot seedlings up in 2 barrels, have turnip green seedlings up in 4 barrels, garlic is up in 2 barrels, onions are up in 2 barrels.

Total of 3 barrels with better bush tomato plants surrounded with annual flowers, 1 barrel with 3 sweet banana peppers and annuals, 1 barrel with 6 bellpeppers and annual flowers.

I have a regular Barrel garden goin on here.
Its an addition. Will go broke cause I do not know when to stop.

Fixing up 6 more this week with various veggies and annuals. Hardly no weeds, seldomly water for now til summer. I water once a week right now. Fertilize once a week.
Its so easy. I keep thinking how much fun next year will be when I do not have to mix all that dirt and cut barrels. Just turn soil, refresh some, and plant. WHALA.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2235840

Paul...where are you getting those barrells? Crickets got me about convinced I need some for my "skinny" eastern exposure side yard!
Debbie
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2006
1:13 PM

Post #2237959

Cantaloupes. Yes I may be a dummie but "live and learn!"

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #2237969

squash

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2237982

turnip greens---easy care

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2006
2:52 PM

Post #2251077

Debbie, Sorry for taking so long to answer your post, but I've been pretty busy this past week and haven't visited the site 'til today. I get my barrels from local auto dealerships. You can inquire about availability with someone in the showroom. The barrels will actually be located in what's known as PDI. This is where new and used cars go for cleanup and addition of add-ons prior to sale. Luckily my business gives me connections with the guys who work there, but I think if you just ask, they would probably be willing to save some for you. Paul
Wargamer777
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2252370

Cricket,

What are you using for soil?

You mentioned you fertilize once a week? Are you using miracle gro or something organic?

Thanks!
Billy

BTW, All your plants look really good! A wonderful idea.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2252623

I use 1/3 peat moss and 2/3 compost manure from walmart.
I use 13-13-13 , epsom salt, and calcium nitrate.
I also use Mittleider Magic Nutrients. Its not an absolutely must but helps alot.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2006
7:20 AM

Post #2253489

just hos deep are those things??
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #2254612

I couldnt find a measuring tape. But guessing 10-11 inches deep in the center. I try to put the Deep root plants in the center and the shallow to the outside.

I did alot today.

now have on my Deck Container Garden:
Better Bush Tomatoes, SuperHeavyWeight Bell Peppers , Big Bertha Bell Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper, Hot Banana Pepper, Sweet Banana Peppers, Cayenne Pepper, Gypsy Peppers, Paminto Peppers, Salvia, Dusty Miller, Petunias, Impatiens, Coleus, Bee Balm, Rose Mary, Marigolds, Straight neck Squash, Crimson Sweet Watermelon, AThena Cantaloupes.

kingedking
Inverness, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2006
4:43 AM

Post #2255601

Cricket - You have been busy. Go Girl!! Looking Good! Ed
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2006
5:18 PM

Post #2256780

some close ups--some of the older ones

Egg plant went wild

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #2256791

some of the newer ones. close up

Squash and Cantaloupe in this one

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2256818

Yes I am crazy.

Squash and Watermelon In one of the Planters.. Put a pepper plant , some impatiens and a water melon in the Picutured Planter. (in left Planter)
I will only let the watermelon vine produce 3-4 melons and let the vine run down the deck.

My Step Dad asked My mother-- Why did she build a deck for container plants.
My only question was what else was I goin to do with it besides walk on it. ITs nice and neat. No grass. No Weeds.

alpha537
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2006
9:32 AM

Post #2261707

Cricket, you've made a nice container garden out of barrels. I thought your greenhouse better beefsteaks tomatoes were awesome. But both your plant slectio and soil mixture used in the barrels shows a creativity of thought and perception I only wish I had. I'll never look at a barrel again w/o thinking of your project and the one Big Red from TX did.

BTW, I know how hot it gets in AL and know you said you only water once a week. Let us know whether you or how you managed watering during the hottest weather. For example, I'm thinking the melon will need to be watered more. How many barrels did you end up planting?
Bernie
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2006
11:57 AM

Post #2261867

So far only did a total of 31 1/2 barrels.
I still have 7 half barrels to fill up. Just haven't got around to it yet.

This message was edited May 9, 2006 7:01 AM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2006
8:42 PM

Post #2263299

everything growing so nicely. Probly over planted in the barrels but LIVE and Learn.

Squash

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2006
8:45 PM

Post #2263307

Turnip Greens.
It wont be long and I can have Pot Liquir

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #2263315

I cannot wait to see how the watermelons do.

slow growers

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2006
12:08 PM

Post #2281391

This is a view of the barrel planters on my deck..
Under-Construction.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2006
12:10 PM

Post #2281404

some close up

Gardening_in_GA
Chickamauga, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2006
10:50 PM

Post #2286733

WOW!! Your deck is sooo big!!!! I love the ide of planting those in the barrels! I will have to show my hubby :)
I might rather the huge deck instead :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2006
11:07 PM

Post #2286773

this is the end of the deck that you cannot see in other pictures-- The resting area that never gets used.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #2309225

An update.
the plants are about 2 feet tall now.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2006
11:35 PM

Post #2355914

Update:

I have to water every other day now.
The plants are bearing alot of veggies.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2359469

Update Picture.

Cowpea
Hollywood, FL

June 7, 2006
3:35 AM

Post #2360981

Cricket, beautiful flowers and veggies.

I did something similar--I cut a big drainage pipe in half and then raised it up on legs. I love these 'containers'.

Snip, snip and you have a salad. Sure easy on my bad back. :)

Thumbnail by Cowpea

Cowpea
Hollywood, FL

June 7, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2360993

Here is another shot.

Thumbnail by Cowpea

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2006
1:10 PM

Post #2361787

I like that Cowpea.
You put alot of work into that frame too.
Very nice.
alpha537
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2006
5:10 AM

Post #2384664

Cricket--- Your green thumb has created a scrumptious garden of veggies on your deck. Totally awesome, those half-barrels filled out nicely.
Bernie
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2006
8:06 PM

Post #2386577

Cowpea and Cricket--great job. Cowpea that must help a lot for over-wintering lettuces...no deluges to trouble you!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2387815

ew, my egg plant is loaded with aphids.

I know you can put moth balls on house plant pots to rid the bugs-----but can you do that with veggies and have no harmful chemicals?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9728551

Revisited my old threads.
I have plans of making many of these half barrel containers this spring. I liked it but had strayed away from it for the past 4 years due certain life issues but raring to get it going again. I don't have the same home but I do have the same property with new home.
I really liked Cowpea's table top barrel container set up. I would love to work on doing this. Arthritis is taking a tow. I would like to get this set up before I am too old and weak to get it done.

Anyone done the half barrel gardening????want to share your pics?
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2013
2:51 AM

Post #9731655

How much soil did you have to buy? And what did you say your mixture was??

Some kind of annuals are supposed to be bug repellants, don't know which ones though.

Would a soap mixture in a hose end sprayer get rid of those aphids? Maybe buy a Mantis egg case to work on whatever tries to invade your beautiful garden.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9731736

way back then, I used 1/3 peat and 2/3 compost. I currently use 1/2 peat and 1/2 compost. I would love to add vermiculite to hold more moisture or try using coco coir instead of peat.
Each half barrel takes 3cu.ft. of loose soil. OR One 3.8 compressed bale promix which equals 6cu.ft. , fills two half barrles. Most bags of commercial compost is 1 cu. ft.
Mixing the soil for many barrels takes a lot of space and time. It can be done on a tarp or use a large riding mower lawn cart. I use a large riding mower lawn cart. It holds a whole bale of peat and 6 bags of compost. But I also use a Mantis Cultivator to chop and mix the soil. I have been doing it that way for 9 years. It's tricky, dangerous, and fast. A deep wheel barrow will be big enough to mix 1/3 bale of peat and 2 bags of compost per batch.

Aphids= I will be buying Lacewing eggs this year. The larvae will eat the aphid eggs and white flies too. I already have a lot of ladybugs and many mantis.

Soap works to kill the adult insects but it also burns the edge of the leaves where it puddles and best to wash it off the plants about 30 min after spraying it on.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2013
10:12 PM

Post #9732753

Cricket, were are you going to get your lacewing eggs from? I purchased some tomato plants and the first week they went crazy growing, then those darn white flies came in a just sucked the live out of my plants before I realized what was going on. I kept rising the plants with neem oil and water mixed, then sprayed then went back and washed off in the morning so the sun didn't burn the leaves but it happened anyway.

In a few weeks I'll be starting some veggies seeds and I when I go to transplant I want to make sure I don't loose them.

Glad to see you back on here posting.

Jan
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9735125

http://www.arbico-organics.com/

I did buy lacewing eggs this past fall for the greenhouse tomatoes. I ordered the lacewings cause I had some white flies on a couple of plants.
I don't know if the larvae hatched or not but the white flies never became a problem. It has to be warm for the eggs to hatch.
If there are no bad bugs in sight, you need to order a food starter for the larvae or make sure they have blossoms/pollen to feed on. The lacewing larvae also help just a little with pollination.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9735152

I'm undecided and don't know what to do with myself. Someone around here once told me that I had too many choices. I agree.
Choice #1 : After cutting the barrels long ways, you have more soil surface but after a couple of years, you end up with the sides sagging out and you have to drill a couple of holes down the side and run a heavy wire from side to side to prevent it from sagging outward. uuggg.
Choice #2 : If I cut the barrels in half as round planter containers, they won't sag on the sides, but you loose 2 square ft of planting space and lining the barrels up won't be as uniform as the long narrow design. ======== or ooooooooo
Choice #3 : If I cut the barrels in half as a round container, I could also cut the bottom out so it is more inviting for worms to visit and they can get out the bottom easier to hibernate for the winter but the heavy containers won't be moveable if I cut the bottom out
Choice #4 : Don't worry about the worms. Raise worms and apply castings to container garden.
I'm already raising worms for worm casting tea but what if I could raise worms in the barrels with bottoms that just had drain holes and collect the worms in the fall for indoor winter storage. ekkk
Choice #5 : Lay out a ground cover and cover with mulch to make the area tidy and neat or just mow the lawn around the containers.
Choice #6 : Paint the blue barrels cause I don't like the blue. ekkk.

So = picture this: Barrels cut in half for round containers. Painted brown so they are not too flashy. On commercial ground cover that is covered with mulch and the outside of the ground cover area lined with landscape timbers.

OR...gee whiz... I have a used greenhouse frame that is 24x75ish. I thought about putting it up to the length I need so I can put a 30% shade cloth over the container garden during the high heat summer and have overhead hanging structure for vine plants.

I have a dump truck load of wood chips, I have the greenhouse unassembled, and some heavy duty ground cover.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9735475

CricketsGarden

me thinks that you do indeed have too many options...LOL

I would start eliminating and come up with two, then maybe try both at the same time to find what really ends up being what ya want.

just a suggestion.

Jan
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2014
7:08 AM

Post #9815582

I decided to / and have cut some barrels in half round shape and cut the bottoms out. I painted the blue barrels White. Still have several to paint. I also have barrels that were already white. I am digging up the top soil/weed/grass where the barrels sit. The barrels are spaced 2ft apart. I will just mow and weed around the barrels. 8 done, 24 to go.
The barrels are sitting in a Flat area that stays wet for a couple of days after a long hard rain.
The soil in the barrel containers will drain and the earth will wick down the over watering and the plant roots can dig into the earth. The worms can enter the containers freely. When it rains, the soil in the containers can wick up the water and since the half barrels are 18 inches deep, the plant roots won't be sitting in water during long hard spring rains.
Using the dump truck load of wood chips in the containers for mulching.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2014
6:27 PM

Post #9818338

12 done with peppers and eggplants already transplanted
working on 12 more currently

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2014
5:41 PM

Post #9824614

I think it is a great idea. Looks nice also. I may try something like that. I like plants to be up and be able to mow the weeds. I have done the concrete block raised beds but the cost is a little prohibitive. Easier to water the plant its self and fertilize it also.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2014
6:36 AM

Post #9825023

How about attaching an appropriate length of wood using large washers & bolts to prevent the outward sagging

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America