Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Southwest Gardening: flowering vines list for the SW

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 100, Views: 505
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

April 9, 2006
4:49 AM

Post #2175546

I cannot locate the vine list in the faq at the other forum. I found this website ---> http://gardeningwithskip.tamu.edu/tips/tip0204F.htm
that I'd added to my faves last year; the list below is from the site. Though it's Texas, it seems applicable to low-elevation AZ as well. Perhaps we can add others not on the list... as well as additional comments/modifications. I don't quite know into what category Mexican Flame Vine goes! (tropical?)

ANNUAL AND TROPICAL VINES:

Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit) - Small (1") red flowers and a canopy of feathery foliage somewhat like that of the cypress tree. Reseeds profusely. Full sun. Flowers attract hummingbirds.

Hyacinth Bean (Dolichos lablab) - Fast growing bean vine with beautiful stalks of purple flowers over 12" long. Blooms begin to set seed in late summer and fall. Leaves are green with burgundy undersides, adding to the vine's appeal. Full sun.

Morning Glory (Ipomoea sp.) - Fast growing vine with large blooms in shades of blue, white and red. Mites can be a problem at times, but the gorgeous blooms are worth it. The moon vine (Ipomoea alba) is a close relative that blooms at night. Great for an outdoor deck area. Full sun.

Rangoon Creeper (Quisqualis indica) - This plant starts off as a 3' shrub then starts sending long vining shoots out and the plant becomes a vine. This is how it gets the name "quisqualis" which means "which - what?" Produces large clusters of flared trumpet blooms which start out white and turn to red. Full sun.

Blue Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea) - Tame vine that won't take over and thus is great for restricted areas. Showy dark blue flowers with white centers. Full sun. Best viewed up-close.

Dutchman's Pipe (Aristolochia) - Several species of imported and one native vine with unique pipe-shaped blooms, best viewed up-close. Fast growing. Full sun to part shade.

PERENNIAL VINES:

Coral Vine or Queen's Wreath (Antigonon leptopus) - Vivid pink clusters of delicate lace-like blooms that hang down like pink chains. Blooms through the last of summer. Attracts pollinator insects like bumble bees. A white blooming form is also available. Full sun.

Sky Flower (Thunbergia grandiflora) - Fast growing vine that covers an area quickly to provide a fast screen. Large blue flowers are a very attractive accent and appear late in the season. Attracts hummingbirds. Full sun.

Passion Flower (Passiflora sp.) - several species offering blooms in various colors including red, blue or purple. Larval food source for Gulf Fritillary butterfly. Flowers are fascinating and complex. Best viewed up-close. Full sun.

Snail Vine (Vigna caracalla) - Pale purple blooms that curl around on themselves reminiscent of a snail's shell. Best viewed up-close. Full sun.

Sweet Autumn Clematis ( Clematis discorifolia) - Clouds of whitish flowers in late summer or early fall offer a scent reminiscent of vanilla. Prefers to grow onto something such as a garden arch or pillar, forming a cascading mound of foliage. Full sun to part shade. A native clematis worth mentioning is Scarlet Clematis (C. texensis), a dainty vine with single, red, urn-shaped blooms in mid to late summer. Shade to part shade. Best viewed up-close.

WOODY VINES:

Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) - A dainty grower that is well suited to a confined area. Coral blooms form clusters of tubular flowers. A yellow form is also available. Full sun to part shade. Other well-mannered honeysuckle species worth growing include the varieties 'Pam's Pink' and 'Gold Flame.' Full sun to part shade.

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) - The native form sports rusty brown-red to yellow blooms. A dazzling new variety 'Tangerine Beauty' is a show stopper with its tangerine to coral blooms. It blooms profusely in spring and sparsely later in the season. Full sun to part shade.

Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans) - The "wild" version is often cursed as a rampant weedy vine. Newer cultivars like "Madame Galen" & "Georgia" offer larger blooms and have a place as a strong vine for a large arbor or to cover the expanse of a western wall. Full sun to part shade.

Wisteria (Wisteria sp.) - Several species and varieties are available. Long cascades of blue to purple flowers in spring. Looks great trained along the top of a fence and cut back heavily each winter. Full sun to part shade.

Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) - Evergreen vine that puts on spring show of trumpet shaped yellow blooms. Full sun to part shade. All parts of the plant are poisonous.

Lady Banks Rose (Rosa banksiae) - Long arching thornless canes bear yellow blooms in spring. Needs lots of room to do its thing. Full sun. A lightly fragrant, white blooming form is also available.

Butterfly Vine (Stigmaphyllum periplocaefolium) - Semi-deciduous vine named after the butterfly-shaped seed pods which form after the yellow clusters of flowers drop. Full sun. May freeze to ground some years.

Thumbnail by magpied
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2176055

The uber-list! Thanks, Magpied!
WarriorAnt
Goodyear, AZ

April 9, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2176246

I didn't know Dutchman's Pipe (Aristolochia) could grow here! Does it take long to get established? In the Northeast it take about three years in accordance with the vine growers rhyme.

First year sleeper
second year creeper
third year Leaper!

How about grape vines? And Ivy's?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

April 9, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2176254

My Concord Grape

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

WarriorAnt
Goodyear, AZ

April 9, 2006
4:39 PM

Post #2176332

Those grape vines are Japanese beetle food in the Northeast! Any bug problems here? Spiders?
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

April 9, 2006
4:51 PM

Post #2176371

WarriorAnt - this is the grape I just got. I am so excited about it. Vitis californica Roger's Red.

http://www.wildscaping.com/plants/plantprofiles/Vitis_calif_RogerRed.htm

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

April 9, 2006
5:09 PM

Post #2176401

Japanese beetle...hmmmmm...never saw one.
Zill
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2176415

Thanks for the great info, Magpied!
deserteden
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2006
1:43 AM

Post #2177560

So what is the pretty purple flower in the picture, please? It's very unusual and striking - new to me!
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

April 10, 2006
2:59 AM

Post #2177785

deserteden, it's the blue butterfly pea. I googled it and borrowed the image. I agree that it's pretty... I'm gonna have to get me one o' those. I wonder if anyone has any experience with them-?

warriorant, I don't know anything about "Dutchman's Pipe". I'm just the messenger...lol Sounds nice though! Ivy grows here; perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the varieties will chime in with ivy info.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2006 10:00 PM
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2006
4:39 AM

Post #2177965

Just a thought here, some people don't like having their images borrowed. You might want to get their permission first.
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

April 10, 2006
4:51 AM

Post #2177975

I agree, judy... but there was no copyright or name associated with it (or I'd give credit)--and only jibberish (unless it's another language!) on the site; I'm not using it for profit, nor am I claiming ownership :)
deserteden
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2006
5:43 AM

Post #2178022

Thans, Magpied, it's so pretty - my Wants & Needs list just keeps getting longer.
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

April 10, 2006
6:00 AM

Post #2178036

I got lost on the internet looking for relevant info for Dutchman's Pipe--hundreds of species in this family--but found Aristolochia watsonii, native to the Sonoran Desert/AZ...

Aristolochiaceae (pipevine family)
Mark A. Dimmitt

This is a tropical family of 400 species in the world, 300 of which are in the genus Aristolochia. They are mostly vines with strangely-shaped flowers and foliage that exudes a distinctive, unpleasant odor. Only a single species occurs in the Sonoran Desert.

Aristolochia watsonii (English names: Southwestern pipevine, snakeroot, birthwort)

Description
A trailing or climbing vine with stems up to 3 feet (0.9 m) long. The 1 inch (2.5 cm) long, arrow-shaped leaves are usually dark brownish-green when growing in full sun. The tubular-funnel form flowers are about 1¼ inches (3.8 cm) long, green with brown spotting.

Flowering
Throughout the warm months.

Range
Aristolochia watsonii grows from Southern Arizona and adjacent Mexico to the tip of Baja California.

Notes
Though this species is inconspicuous and rarely encountered unless actively sought, it is included here because of three fascinating ecological stories.

One story is its pollination. Most pipevines are pollinated by deceiving insects into visiting the flowers; no reward is available. Usually the flowers smell like carrion or dung to attract insects that are seeking a place to lay eggs. The story of our species is even more remarkable. It is pollinated by Ceratopogonid flies; these are the small, blood-sucking flies that pester humans and other mammals in the humid summer. The flowers of Aristolochia watsonii resemble a mouse’s ear—translucent funnels with fur and veins—and give off a musty odor. The fly apparently expects to find a blood meal, and instead is trapped inside the flower tube overnight. During the night the flower releases pollen. The following morning the flower releases the pollen-covered fly. If the fly visits another flower it effects pollination.

All pipevines contain a variety of powerful toxins that humans have used for medicines. The name birthwort comes from its use during difficult births; it stimulates expulsion of the fetus and placenta.

The plant has also been used to treat snakebite, paralysis, malaria, impotence, intestinal worms, and infections. Though pipevine seems to be effective for numerous ailments, the side effects are horrific.

Despite the virulent toxins, pipevines are the larval food plant of the pipevine swallowtail, a large, showy butterfly. The caterpillars are black or red with red tubercles and grow to about 3 inches (7.6 cm) long. This conspicuous coloration warns potential predators that the larvae are protected by the pipevine’s toxins, which they store in their bodies without harm to themselves. Several caterpillars can often be found feeding on one small plant of A. watsonii. They will completely defoliate the plant (it later resprouts from its perennial root). Without this species of pipevine, the pipevine swallowtail would not occur in the Sonoran Desert.

gemfire55
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2006
9:57 AM

Post #2178126

How about Spanish Flag vine? Does it do good here? I had some seeds for it so planted some,
they are just coming up so I hope so. I also have a lavender trumpet vine that I bought at
Target last year. It just bloomed for the first time. The passiflora I bought at Lowes is covered up
with buds, more opening everyday...

Gemfire
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2006
1:34 PM

Post #2178434

Cool vines my want list or should I say NEED list is getting larger all the time.
paperwhite1
Chandler, AZ

April 10, 2006
2:34 PM

Post #2178583

I grew the butterfly pea vine, it died back in winter and i am growing it from seed again this spring. Its color and bloom shape is quite spectacular.

Thumbnail by paperwhite1

magpied
Phoenix, AZ

April 10, 2006
5:18 PM

Post #2178955

Oooooh, that's pretty, paperwhite!
paperwhite1
Chandler, AZ

April 10, 2006
9:04 PM

Post #2179349

Thanks. I hope to have more this year. I got the seeds from India when i went back there for a visit last year. They grow like weeds and come in two colors, the blue and the white.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2179356

Ok not going to India any time soon. :o)
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

April 13, 2006
1:51 AM

Post #2185775

WarriorAnt,
I saw Dutchman's Pipe vines at Baker's today... they have quite a few of them. Not sure if they were all priced the same but the ones I remember were about $32.
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 30, 2006
6:46 AM

Post #2565817

Since there's been some "vine talk", thought maybe this could be helpful :)
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 30, 2006
7:18 AM

Post #2565833

Does anyone have the Blue Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea)~? I'd sure like to know if they can live through our heat :)
hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2006
10:55 AM

Post #2565922

I have several growing right now. I even have the "white" butterfly pea vine. Same as the other but white. It hasn't flowered yet, but the blue ones have been for awhile. They are quite dainty, sweet flowers. It doesn't even curl in the heat. Seems to thrive w/the heat. My ipomeas wilt mid-day, but not these. I was fortunate enough to get some seeds from a friend. If these go to seed, I'll be glad to share. Just remind me later on in the season.
hilary
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2006
12:55 PM

Post #2566107

Magpied, I not only have it living through our heat but...living through our heat in a plain ole plastic pot. It's easterly facing under an overhang directly above it of shade cloth. It's been growing all summer but only a couple of flowers before the furnace kicked in. I got it at the rare fruit growers sale in the spring and this is my first time growing it.
stephanotis
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2566458

Great list! That give me lots of choices to think about. I'm still sold on the crossvine though!
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2006
3:43 PM

Post #2566583

I think some of the Aristilochia have cool looking foliage too. I guess I just never liked the idea of a stinky, non-colrful flower but maybe I'll try one next year .

Carl
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

July 30, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2566682

"thornless canes"

Huh? Are they talking about the same Lady Banks I planted? These are great plants and I'd recommend them to anyone, especially if you want to create a privacy hedge, but "thornless" - not really. I've got the scratches to prove it. I think Lady Banks makes a good security 'fence', too.

This is a great list, magpied, thanks for putting the info up. Like everyone else, it just creates a new list of wants for me. I think it's good to start a discussion so people can share their experiences with plants others of us don't have. Unfortunately for me, I have a lavendar trumpet vine that refuses to bloom and passies that are, apparently, sympathetic. Most of my bloomers right now are bower vines and snail vines.
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

July 30, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2566690

Carl, I'm not partial to stinky flowers either. I think you will have to content yourself with your Aristilochia providing color by way of the butterlies it will attract. Seems like a fair exchange to me!

I am starting to appreciate nice foliage more and more. When the flowers aren't blooming it is nice to have a plant that still looks unusual or beautiful without them. sam
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2566787

TF, not all lady banks are created equal, there are thornless varieties.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

July 30, 2006
7:14 PM

Post #2567360

The ones I got at Bakers are white. Does that make a difference? I have two yellows sitting in pots waiting to be planted. I haven't checked them for thorns.
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2006
7:19 PM

Post #2567377

Nope, I've had white ones with thorns and without.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2006
9:46 PM

Post #2567803

wow! this Aristalochia looks pretty cool! Wonder how big the flower is?

http://www.kartuz.com/pc/67120/FLV1/Aristolochia grandiflora.html

Carl
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2567823

dang! this one's pretty huge - I might be able to put up with a slight stink if I though I could grow one of these puppies!;

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/14329/

Carl
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2568016

Carl, I wonder how big the stink is on those big ones...anyone know how big the stink is? I know the stink on fimbriata is minimal and it's such a great foliage plant, too. The flowers on watsonii are tiny! No stink there and yet another great foliage plant...I'm loving that little plant!
PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2568076

az, that is the Aristolochia that I have growing on my front porch (grandiflora), but it has never flowered (yet)

Check this one out http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/616411/

and this one

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/633122/
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 30, 2006
11:41 PM

Post #2568228

I am looking forward to a pipevine. I have *no* sense of smell :)
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2006
11:41 PM

Post #2568233

That second one is one that I have - a. elegans. It's just a baby cutting right now. Hopefully I don't kill it.

Also have:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56130/index.html

They are stinky huh?
PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2568315

I thought so, but I just googled it, and a page from DG came up and says it isn't. Mine is suppose to be, IF it ever "stinkin" flowers

This message was edited Jul 30, 2006 5:02 PM
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2568519

Sifted out the finer points from the lengthy post up there ;)

Aristolochiaceae (pipevine family)
- - -They are mostly vines with strangely-shaped flowers and foliage that exudes a distinctive, unpleasant odor. Usually the flowers smell like carrion or dung to attract insects that are seeking a place to lay eggs.

Aristolochia watsonii
- - -Grows from Southern Arizona and adjacent Mexico to the tip of Baja California, native to the Sonoran Desert in AZ.

- - -A. watsonii is pollinated by Ceratopogonid flies; these are the small, blood-sucking flies that pester humans and other mammals in the humid summer. The fly is trapped inside the flower tube overnight. During the night the flower releases pollen. The following morning the flower releases the pollen-covered fly. If the fly visits another flower it effects pollination.

Several caterpillars can often be found feeding on one small plant of A. watsonii. They will completely defoliate the plant (it later resprouts from its perennial root). Without this species of pipevine, the pipevine swallowtail would not occur in the Sonoran Desert.
PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
1:31 AM

Post #2568653

Pretty neat info on the watsonii. I have the article from the Sonoran Desert Museum that that came from :) I have to watsonii's growing right now. When I did a google search on the elegans, it came up as having no odor, but I had believed otherwise. Sure are some pretty neat looking flowers
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
2:53 AM

Post #2569016

PP, Info is from a hard-to-find page on the Sonoran Desert Museum website - and written by Mark A. Dimmitt (as noted above). I wish I could find a hard copy! In what form is that article?

How long have you had your two vines? Very interesting vine and I'm looking forward to acquiring some :)
PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2569170

magpied, you have dmail!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2006
5:35 AM

Post #2569572

Magpied... you must be feeling better, and I'm so happy about that! You have just been a huge encyclopedia of information lately... YEAH! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge about so many things with us!

Brenda
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
6:21 AM

Post #2569621

Brenda~ Thank you :)
And thank goodness I had to write down most of the wild bird care info (that I spout off from time to time) many years ago... 'cause I couldn't remember it all now!

RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2006
2:50 PM

Post #2570367

Sam, where did you get your Vitis californica Roger's red? I would like to get one too.
Thanks all of you for the great information.

Good gardening

Rodica
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
2:57 PM

Post #2570397

Rodica, Roger came from Mountain States Wholesale Nursery. Jim D. picked it up for me (probably because he got tired of hearing me whine about not getting one when I was there on a field trip with Outgardening).

Baker's Nursery gets some plants from MSWN. If they don't have it perhaps they could order it. It wasn't available at the Spring DBG sale but when the plant list is published for the fall, you could check and see if it will be offered in October.

I like this little guy a lot
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #2570817

magpied I have your Aristolochia watsonii. I will try to get it to you tomorrow hopefully.
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #2571124

marie, YaY WoW ThAnKs!!!!
...and NO rush!!! As long as it's safe from the gophers... lol
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
6:18 PM

Post #2571133

Safe from the gophers but not the kittens :o)
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2006
9:07 PM

Post #2571822

Thanks Sam. They are a wholesale nursery, right? One can not just go there and buy plants, isn't it?
And I thought I was the best whiner in the world.

Good gardening

Rodica
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2571856

My guess is that Baker's would glady order for you since Mt. States is one of their suppliers :) Let me be your enabler... Baker Nursery 602 955-4500
Somehow, I've memorized that number :o
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
9:17 PM

Post #2571865

Yes, MSWN is wholesale only. I am hoping Outgardening will schedule another tour of their facility in the fall. It was such a fun day and SO much to see. sam
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2571951

Thanks Loreen. I just called Baker's and there was no answer. Are they closed on Monday?
Sam are we going to get an E-mail regarding the trip or can we go on a different site to check it out?

Good gardening

Rodica
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

July 31, 2006
10:00 PM

Post #2572041

Rodica, the meetings for Outgardening are scheduled elsewhere through October. It isn't certain that there will be another one to MSWN. There was just talk of it earlier this year and I have my fingers crossed.

Members get emails of the meetings. Did you get one? sam
gemfire55
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
6:37 AM

Post #2581685

Last week I stopped at A&P Nursery just to browse. I was just looking around to see what vines were available that I might plant in a full sun area. The lady their suggested Hall's Honeysuckle. Does anyone grow this vine. I looked it up and it looks nice but what will it look like after our summer heat.
Anyone growing one? Is it a fast grower? Any info please.

Thanks,
Pam
magpied
Phoenix, AZ

August 3, 2006
7:58 AM

Post #2581739

I have Hall's honeysuckle. It grows very well here. I don't have any problems with it, except for that it grows very well here :) Perhaps others can add more. I also have the "purple" ~ Lonicera japonica 'Purpurea'. I think it's a bit prettier than the Hall's, too. Here you can see pics of the purple... http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=LONICERA_JAPONICA

My Hall's was pre-existing and has a well-established root system. When cut back to nothing, it grows rapidly. This was one of the plants that anyone was welcome to take (dig and take!) at the swap/get-together here in May... but the temperature wasn't conducive to digging! I have so much of this and am happy to give it away!
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2582441

Is anybody growing the Giant Burmese HoneySuckle?
It is the most amazing honeysuckle I have ever seen.
The first time I saw it, I was on Coronado island in San Diego and it covered a huge fence. It looked like a regular honeysuckle on steroids. The flowers were so big that a bee will get lost in it and everything else was proportionate-the leaves and stems and fragrance. I felt in love with it in a second.
I took some cuttings but they did not make it.
I do not know if they will survive in our climate. I have a couple of common HS growing and doing very well but not all honeysuckle are for our summer.

Good gardening

Rodica
stephanotis
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2582463

desert-tropicals.com has it on their website, and I think that site is devoted to plants that will do well in the PHX area. I would think it could grow here. Interesting looking vine!
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #2582477

I have goldflame honeysuckle that has survived the summer so far in a 1 gal pot in a protected location. This is a species hybrid that has a fabulous fragrance but very restrained in growth. Can't wait to get it in the ground and see it thrive, it really is a great plant. Got that at MVG BTW
hawaiisam
Phoenix, AZ

August 3, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2582488

I have the goldflame honeysuckle also. Mine does get some protection though as it is in an "alley." Planted last fall when the garden centers put everything on sale to make room for Christmas trees. I thought it would be hardier than the Hall's. So far so good! sam
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #2582538

Ok so where do you buy giant burmese honeysuckle? (Other than San Diego) unless of course we want to plan a road trip!!!
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2582550

The only place I saw that it carries the vine is Tropicalvines.com site.
I am interested in several more vines and maybe I will order this one too.
But first I will call Baker' and Berridge to see if they have or if they can order them for me.

Good gardening

Rodica
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2582642

Ok rodica. If they can order it in please order one for me too. :o)
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
4:23 PM

Post #2582669

Marie,

I just called Baker's and they do not have Giant Burmese HS and they can not order them.
They do, however have 4-5, five gallon Roger's red grape if anybody is interested. I would really, really like one but I do not have enough space to plant anything that big.
I just wanted to let you guys know just in case somebody can accommodate a 5 gall plant.

Good gardening

Rodica
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2582719

Thanks, I want rodgers redgrape. Maybe I will stop by
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
4:39 PM

Post #2582728

I could not get the tropical vines site to go through. How much is it on there?
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #2582777

Monrovia has it. (Burmese honeysuckle) As at Summerwinds to order it for you.
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2582785

Marie - he does not sell plants - he just recommends/talks about them
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
5:12 PM

Post #2582827

Oh ok not missing anything then on the site. Summerwinds. I will have to try them.
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
5:14 PM

Post #2582837

Judy I just called both Summerwinds nurseries and they do not carrie this HS. They have three different varieties but not this one.
I will keep looking.

Good gardening

Rodica
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
5:16 PM

Post #2582845

Judy I think I misunderstood you. You meant for me to go on Monrovia site and try Summerwinds?

Good gardening

Rodica
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #2582858

Ask Summerwinds to order it from Monrovia.
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
6:34 PM

Post #2583153

Thanks. I'll do that.

Good gardening

Rodica
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
7:16 PM

Post #2583322

Let me kn ow the results please.
MingTea
Tucson, AZ

August 3, 2006
10:20 PM

Post #2584000

i have quite a few seeds of the blue pea vine (clitoria ternatea) that i gathered in malaysia last fall. i germinated some and am glad to see they'll take the growing conditions here! in asia, the blue flowers are commonly used to tint pastries, rice and cloth. here's a rice cake made with the blue pea flower:
http://www.inmagine.com/inm081/im081012-photo

-ming

1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2584003

some moderate 'googling' indicates the following may have - or can orer from smgrowers, a Burmese Giant

http://www.smgrowers.com/purchase/weborder.asp
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2006
10:22 PM

Post #2584005

ming! nice to see you- long time no see ming :-)
MingTea
Tucson, AZ

August 3, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2584035

i was on vacation :) now i'm back at work and back to internet browsing, lol.

-ming
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2584053

Hi Ming - hope you had a fabulous vacation!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2584210

Welcome home Ming!!!!
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2584279

Texan, I had checked out the links on San Marco's site, none had the burmese. :-(
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2584331

I found a place that sells direct to consumers and sent link to Rodica before I left the office at noon - they are in Pacific NW I think... she can put it up tomorrow.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2584969

Judy, that San Marcos wholesaler shows it in stock. maybe someone could get one for you. Even if they could just have it drop-shipped and collect a little profit. Seems like they could arrange it somehow.

I dunno

Carl
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
11:27 AM

Post #2585529

Not to hijack the thread but - Hi There Ming, I still have one IPA left in the fridge with your name on it! ;-)
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2585892

Rodica post the link :o)
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
2:20 PM

Post #2585926

I will check with Audrey as soon as she comes in the office. I do not have any link except the one for lily auction.
1_Lucky_Texan has a link that takes you to some nurseries but none of them in our area. I am still trying to get somebody to special order for me
and all I have to do is go there and pick it up.
I will keep you posted.

Good gardening

Rodica
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2585962

Ok rodica I am depending on you to find this.
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2585982

Thanks Marie.No pressure at all.
I will do my best to find them before fall.

Good gardening

Rodica
PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
2:34 PM

Post #2585994

Oh my gosh, I so wish I could be online and watching DG when I'm at work. Then I wouldn't mind having to go to work :)
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2586084

R - maybe I did't send a link - but I printed up the page from their website and gave it to you yesterday - remember?
GothicGarden
Phoenix, AZ

August 4, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2586122

A quick FYI about Monrovia...just in case you're not aware of it (and if you are, then just disregard this). Monrovia grows an amazing array of high quality plants & that seems soooo promising...but here's the kicker, about 70% of them are never available to Arizona. No matter how much the nursery buyers here ask for them, they do not allot enough product to allow for sales of certain plants here. It's rediculous. So, while it's totally worth a try if you really want to get something they are growing, don't be too disappointed with the nurseries themselves here in case they can't get it.

Also...if you decide to call Berridge...ask for Bill Wray. He's the buyer connected with Monrovia and he's got amazing knowledge and a lot of pull with various suppliers. Good luck!! ~Kim
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
3:25 PM

Post #2586208

Thanks GG. I was just about to call Berridge and see if I can strike gold so to speak.

Good gardening

Rodica
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #2586341

http://belrosenursery.com/

this is the place I was talking about...

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2586447

Too bad is not in our country!!!
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
4:58 PM

Post #2586516

ya had to go and point that out, didn't you??? Boy do I feel stupid!

I guess shipping would be a bit much!
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #2586660

This is the site that has the giant Burmese.
I am considering if it is worth paying the price + shippment and have it die on me.

Good gardening

Rodica

http://www.alohatropicals.com/
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2586689

Rodica if you decide to order let me know!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2586728

Great I am really in trouble now!!!! (after looking at that web site)
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #2586767

Did you see the Thunbergia Mysorensis - what a beautiful vine!

Ah well...we can't have everything, right????

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
7:08 PM

Post #2586900

I've ordered from Aloha before. Their plants are quite small.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America