Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Clean and Clutter-free: What about FLY LADY?!! Anybody follow her advice?!!

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 82, Views: 1,056
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2179584

http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Routines.asp

Fly Lady advertises herself as a personal online coach to declutter your house and your life. And get organized. No CHAOS!

This is something I need...and someone recommended her site to me, but she sounds a little obsessed, doesn't she?!! Or not?!!

I did start out by cleaning and polishing my sink. First Baby Step. (Now my hands hurt from the bleach. Whine...) Will it get better after this?!!

Anybody willing to share any thoughts on your opinions/experience?...
Emaewest
Timberlea, NS
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2006
1:23 AM

Post #2179921

Hi Tabasco! I've been a Fly Baby since last August, and my housekeeping has certainly improved. My kitchen sink no longer has dishes or pots sitting in it for days on end; my toilet never gets "scuzzy"; the trash cans are emptied on a regular basis (not just when I can no longer stuff any more into them, lol!); I managed to reclaim an entire room from boxes of "stuff" (although it's starting to get crowded again).

All in all, things are much better since I started following her advice. I'm just doing the basic evening routine, and my morning routine, and I try to get done whatever else I can manage, which isn't a lot some days. But as long as I stick to the morning and evening routines, the place is reasonably presentable at any given time, which, for me, is practically a miracle.

It's nice to know I really *can* take care of myself. That's the best part of it; I finally feel that I can rely on me. ☺

Rhonda
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2006
2:34 AM

Post #2180179

I used to clean houses with a maid service for a living. I like to clean. LOL I looked her up a while back and she did have some good ideas, but nothing I haven't already done in the past.
I can see how she would be a good motivator by organizing a work load. But she got a little redundant and I don't like being told when to go to bed. LOL And I don't wear shoes indoors and only wear shoes outdoors when there is snow on the ground. LOL Just kidding. But I rarely wear shoes unless I want to go out in public. I find you can experience a floor better without shoes. How else are you going to know there is a puddle from a naughty pet unless you step in it with your bare feet? If I had shoes on, I might miss it and track it into the carpeted area of the house. Bare feet are an essential part of having a clean floor.
I did like her idea of wiping off the basin area and bathroom commode to spiff things up. I'm all for quickly tidying up a room.
This is a good idea for those who don't know where to start and need a little help in that area. Being with a maid service I learned how to work quickly and efficiently. When we dusted we started on one corner of the room and worked our way in a complete circle. I found that pretty useful instead of my usual way of just skipping around and forgetting part of the room altogether.
Emaewest
Timberlea, NS
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2006
11:25 AM

Post #2180936

FlyLady is really for us messy people who need the help and motivation. If you are already organized and clean regularly than Hooray! you're already Fly-ing. ☺

It's really more than about having a clean house; it's about feeling good about yourself, having confidence in your abilities and looking after yourself so you can deal with the world.

I HATED wearing shoes, ever since I was a little kid, because I had to wear these awful, brown, straight-sided orthopedic shoes throughout my childhood. I loved being barefoot. But when I joined FlyLady, I decided to go "all or nothing" and wear the shoes whether I liked it or not. It was, for me, a real leap of faith. I have to say that the benefits of always wearing shoes far outweigh any negatives. They tend to offset my bad balance, protect my feet from broken glass, and make me feel ready to "go" at any time.

I'd say laying out my clothes the night before has become the best habit I've picked up. I can spend ten or fifteen minutes picking out clothes if I have to without worrying about being late for anything! ☺

Rhonda
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2006
12:52 PM

Post #2181091

She is too organized for me. My life is organized chaos. My best plans invariably go awry. I probably do a few of her ideas but don't really follow her much.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2182346

Interesting. But I think FlyLady is really about more than just housecleaning, isn't it?...

Well, I guess I'm thinking if I do FlyLady routines they will free up my mind/self to do things that right now seem to challenging...I can skip up to the next level.

Mmmm...I don't know, but today I did 'baby step 2' which was 'Get dressed to my shoes' right when I got up in the morning, which I did, including make-up, hair, and then I went out to some appointments I've been avoiding...All in all, a pretty good day, but I still have to shine my sink!!...I think this is very subliminal. (-:
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2006
6:30 AM

Post #2189119

I like the IDEA of Flylady, I just have had SO much trouble actually putting it into practice. I have a lot of really good excuses why it doesn't work for me (sleep/work schedule mostly). I need to figure out how to take her ideas and make them fit me.
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2200091

I read the opening once and got the impression she didn't work full time. She actually mentioned sitting a the dining room table at 9 am enjoying a cup of coffee and having time to make a grocery list! By 9 am I have been to work for 2 hours! If I had that kind of time housework is not a problem. The fundamental difficulty for me is to put housecleaning, gardening, yard work, paperwork and trips AND leisure in the same 2 weekend days. It does not fit...I dont' think she can help me with that. Unless she can show me how to clean a four bedroom house in a half hour!

I am naturally organized and don't have much difficulty keeping the house clean. My trouble is how to store stuff. I have so many catagories of stuff that really has three or more potential places. Living with me is a perpetual scavenger hunt!
Gift_of_Reading
Rancho Cordova, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2202710

I got that "doesn't work full time outside the house" impression, too. Her system seems to be oriented toward someone who has free mornings--once the kids are off to school or have gone out to play. A few years ago, I tried the SHE system with the multi-colored index cards, too, but wound up moving more and more cards into the future because there was only so much I could do or wanted to do after a full day at work and making dinner.

I know, roxroe, about the perpetual scavenger hunt. My DH (who isn't always D) can lose a piece of paper on his desk and be completely unable to find it. We must have ghosts in all of our houses who steal things because his whine is always "It was here yesterday, and now it's not!" It's not there because he moved it and left it in the kitchen or the bedroom or wherever he happened to be standing when he put it down. And I am required to help him look for everything that he can't find. He is psychologically unable to look for something all by himself.

Susan

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2203297

Well, I signed up on Flylady and I can't even keep my shoes on, much less 'laced up'! I'm trying, though! It does give me something to talk about with my adult children living at home and I have noticed they have been picking up after themselves regularly...

Flylady seems a bit over organized for my style, but maybe she seems to have all of this extra time to keep her house nice because she freed up her life by being organized in the very beginning (had good habits) and had time to think up the Flylady website and make enough $$ on that so that she only needs to work part time--does anyone know what I'm trying to say?! LOL I don't think that made much sense!

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2203465

Tabasco,

Thanks for adding this forum! I think her site looks so fun and amusing! How much does she charge for her site...and are you able to access quite a bit without a fee?

Aimee
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2006
11:45 PM

Post #2203533

Well, I didn't pay anything. I just signed up. Try it, you might find it helpful, even just a little bit.

(I think she may make her $$ from advertising, promotions, and speeches and that sort of thing.)

She is very positive and finds a lot of good in everything...and some of her organizing ideas are helpful especially to me who is basically 'clueless' about how to get things done, keep a diary of appointments, and so on...(not naturally in my nature and my mom, bless her heart, never really taught us how to 'organize' --she just told us what to do and when to doit!! Not sophisticated, but it worked for her!

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2006
12:20 AM

Post #2203638

Tabasco,

My poor mom I think used to think she always had to do something herself if she wanted it done right. The result? The house was harder and harder to keep clean with our expanding family and eventually the boys grew up saying they don't know how to cook or clean. As John Stossel on 20/20 would say, "Give me a break!" Hehe.

Nice to have a place to go and get good tips. Thanks for answering about it being free!
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2006
11:48 PM

Post #2220959

I have been a "FlyBaby" on and off for about 4 years. I KNOW that the program works, and when you follow the routines, it actually becomes habit, and almost natural. Before Tori (DD9) had her surgery (9-2004) and was in the hospital for over a month and almost died 2x, my routines went south and I am just now getting bck into the swing of things.

I have a copy of sink reflections, (flylady's book) and I am subscribed to 2 of the Menu-Mailers
( http://www.savingdinner.com )

The site is entirely free, she was an elected county official when she started the "FlyLady" thing. She had a problem with not being able to have people in her house, and was part of the SHE System, and has credited them with alot of her ideas.

I will let anyone borrow Sink Reflections, but you can get it cheap on eBay I believe. Alot of her messages are subliminal, but over time htey do begin to sink in :)

Good luck to all.. and I'm only a DMail away of you get discouraged!

Huggers
Janis
teateacher
Franklin Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2006
5:49 PM

Post #2235747

I've read some of FlyLady's stuff and it's good, but I agree with the people who say it doesn't fit their lifestyle for one reason or another. My husband worked shift work and we were in and out at all different times. I eventually developed a plan (on paper) that worked for our family's lifestyle. Basically the same ideas as FlyLady, but in my own timeframe. I made a bunch of copies and checked the jobs off as I did them each week. The BIGGEST help for me was when I started making my bed as soon as I got up in the morning, the minute my feet hit the floor. Now I go to the bathroom and THEN make my bed, but getting that one job done makes the whole house look neater and easier to tackle. My stepmother always kept a very nice house and she said her secret was keeping the dishes out of the sink and the beds made. She said if those two areas are done, everything else is a piece of cake! I've pretty much lived by that advice and it's really does work.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #2322605

I have been a Flybaby since about 5 months after Marla started the site...At that time I was still working full-time 10-13 hour days 5 days a week...I was so exhausted on the weekends it took me till Sunday to get up enough energy to do the laundry, much less anything else...My house was a disaster...Hubby did mop and run the vacuum, but that was it..

I have not purchased any of her products, and I got her books from the library...I designed my own Control Journal, and started out with the clutter ...As she says, if you dont love it, or use it..lose it ..let it bless someone else...and believe me, I did..
From the linen closet to the clothes closets, to the nicnacks and books that took HOURS to dust...to the kitchen cupboards..I got rid of the hodgepodge of pots and pans and bought a new set.. got rid of all the baking things I no longer use, and all the plastic butter tubs, and bought a set of storage wear..NOT the expensive stuff either...I was able to get my routines done quickly in the morning before I left for work at 10am..

With my hubby seriously ill, and in a wheelchair , and me now working nights and weekends from home, I NEED my sanity.. and these Routines give it to me...I have my days free to spend with my hubby, and our dogs, and out in my gardens..or doing my sculpting.. I no longer cringe when the doorbell rings..and most importantly, my house is clean, and Im now somewhat sane...LOL
I still only do my laundry one day a week, because we dont generate that much, and that is usually on Saturday, as Im trapped here to answer the work phones anyway.

Flylady always tells you that you need to adapt the routines to fit you and your lifestyle...but working gals will definitely benefit from her system..Just a warning... set up a seperate inbox on your email for her daily messages...I generally just delete the testimonials, and read the headers only on the reminders..but as long as Ive been doing it, I rarely need a reminder now

Dusty
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #2323942

Interesting to hear your 'testimonials'-- I am working on changing my habits, but it's not so easy for this old gal. I will have to go to the library and get her books. You're right, the emails can be overwhelming, so I'm glad to hear you short-cut those, too!

But, I continue to try to keep my sink clean (this is hard for me) and make the bed and get the kids to do theirs.

Also have purged my closets of the stuff I used to think was important and it does give me a feeling of freedom! Haven't gotten rid of my baking pans, but I'm considering it!

Also started to exercise 1/2 hour a day which is a big boost too! (And not as awful as I thought it would be--in fact I kind of like it.)

I am getting closer to the 'ideal' but still pretty far away from it!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #2323958

Just remember ... Baby steps!!! You can do anything for 15 minutes at a time...

Take your time, and get your routines set...I am over 60 , and if I can change anyone can...

Dusty
MollieB55
Landrum, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2006
10:19 AM

Post #2453909

II am curious - does anyone know if there could be two Flyladies? I ask because about 8 years ago I joined an online course run by iVillage on AOL. If was the first time I had ever heard or seen anything about learning how to be organized. Of course, I watch and read a ton of them now! At any rate, we met once a week for a live chat and were given homework assignments and encouraged to make posts about our progress throughout the week. I particularly remember one of the members named Flylady. At that time she had just moved somewhere and was waiting for her husband to join her. I don't recall a mention of children and for some reason I thought her husband must be in the service because she talked as though she had moved overseas. At any rate - she sticks in my mind so much because she annoyed the daylights out of m! I was teaching full time, working a part time job, tutoring students, helping my daughter move, and belonged to a couple of volunteer organizations. I had 30 hours of work a day to do in 24 and the first thing they wanted us to do was spend several hours making a journal and then to write in it every day. "Yeah! RIght! Sorry, students. No test today. I had to write in my journal"

I remember her so vividly because during introductions she went on and on about how she did not have a clue and was alone and just waiting for hubby. From then on she would make numerous posts about the tremendous amount of work she had accomplished setting up the house that day and always had a dozen tips on some efficient way to do things. During live chats, she answered questions more than the moderators. Everyone thought she was wonderful and her ideas so cleaver. Yes, I thought some were very good, some were just "make work", but most of all I always wondered why the long speech about how she didn't know how to keep house when it was clear that organization was a long time obsession with her. It seemed obvious to me that she had nothing to do all day BUT organize! Could it possibly be the same woman?

I never thought about her until I joined this forum and her name keeps popping up. I wondered the first time it was mentioned. I didn't realize that she had a "program."

Oh, and I like the idea about laying out my clothes the night before. I could start a new fashion trend - dog-hair covered clothes. !

Life is a journey, not a destination so stop and smell the daisies!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2006
11:27 AM

Post #2453995

Hi, Mollie-- Mmmm... sounds like it could be the same lady or a 'copy cat' situation.

Yes, some people seem to be obsessively organized (or disorganized), the trick is, I think to recognize one's own capabilities and then team up with someone who has the opposite traits! Isn't that what all the business management books say to do?! LOL Then one doesn't have to totally 're-train' yourself a la Flylady. Just marry somebody who is a good housekeeper or find a room mate who is organized! Yeah, right! LOL

Well, I think Flylady has to be taken with a grain of salt, but she has lots of good ideas along with crazy ideas and helps me understand what could be done/needs to be done/and how to do some things that would ordinarily never occcur to me to do to make things go better.

I am sorry that lady in the chat room made such a bad impression on you.
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2006
12:23 AM

Post #2459640

This is very interesting. I am sending my daughter and son-in-law the Fly-lady's website. lol I hate to say it but my dd and sil are both 'slobs'. Might as well tell it like it is. ;) So in this case neither one can manage to even remotely be organized in anything. They are the parents of a now three yr. old darling little girl (my grandbaby) and I would love to see them work on trying to get things a little more organized so the child will grow up with some kind of, how can I say it, 'framework' for her life. I would like to see her learn how to keep her room and take pride in her possessions. She is only three but she is very smart and knowledgable. When she is at our house she loves to help fold clothes, spread up the beds, sweep with her own little broom, wash dishes, etc. etc.

Where did I go wrong!!!! LOL This is my youngest dd. My oldest dd is a school teacher and very organized. They both have wonderful outgoing personalities and are both involved in public service type jobs. But when it comes to Homemaking 101 my youngest sure falls short. sigh ;)

Lin
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2459685

Pats on the back to you Rhonda! You are awesome!!!! I know things DO get easier with time.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2459686

I've simplified my cleaning quite a bit as an adult just by the things I've chosen NOT to buy.

I DO NOT like wooden chairs with rungs and have found nice sets for both formal dining and the kitchen, NO DUSTY RUNGS =).

I AVOID buying ANY clothes that are dry clean only and try not to buy anything that requires ironing as I despise that chore.

I buy the bleach tabs for the toilet (DH is a DEAR to always close the lid so pets don't get harmed) and then it reduces the amount of times I have to scrub the toilets.

My FAVORITE tip: I do not buy knicknacks. I am not really into "collecting" anything. I am not saying someone is bad for doing this but man oh man I cannot tell you the hours SAVED in not having to move many small cute things from a countertop or shelf to dust.
katym
Deatsville, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2006
8:14 PM

Post #2463206

I have never heard of Flylady until now. I just followed your link to her site and wow!!! That sounds really inspiring and now I am wondering like you guys if it will fit into my life with me working a full time job...Maybe if I take a few pointers from her. At least if I cant do the whole routine flylady does I could maybe simplify/improve some areas.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2006
2:25 AM

Post #2472602

Does anyone else have tips on how to minimize your cleaning? Or does flylady?

Another thing I remembered is:

• I bought shade rollers for the windows vs. mini blinds. It's what we had growing up and in an old house there was lots of dust...I thought mini blinds were so cool until I lived in apartments with them and they were always needing washing or dusting. Shades = no dusting.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2474002

http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Routines.asp#basic

Well, I think if I can just follow her "weekly plan" and put the checklist on the refrigerator, a lot more gets done than with out a 'plan' (like I tend to operate). ---whether working full time or not working.

And I found that if I discuss the "Flylady" concept of the week and put the plan on the refrigerator, then everyone in the household understands better what needs to be done and when. And hopefully 'buy' into the concept (without too much 'Push Pull). Making the plan and communicating it is the first step and Flylady's plan looks pretty good (with some personal modifications ) to me. When things get nasty around here, then, I just blame "Fly Lady" and somehow that deflects the 'negative' energy! (Not always!)

I think her point about "Baby Steps" is well taken, too. http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Babysteps.asp

I also like her idea of "setting the timer". Works well with my kids (and me). Cuts down on Procrastination and Obsessing over a task.

And I like her "Master Grocery List" plan. Makes a lot of sense.

White_Hydrangea
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2006
6:24 AM

Post #2484694

I detest wearing shoes in the house. I really didn't get much beyond that point.

I do, however, from some of the business and motivational books I've read, have a to-do list. That way it's down on paper, and I don't have to keep remembering or forgetting or fretting about it. I just look at the list.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 22, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2840977

My tip: Everytime I walk into a room, I take 5 minutes to tidy something up, put something away, anything to make the room a little better. I am amazed how 5 minutes here and there saves me from spending an hour to clean a room that has gradually been totally trashed (usually by me).
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2006
12:40 PM

Post #2848395

I don't like to wear shoes in the house either!

I found that using flylady there was TOO much work. Unless you are a full time stay at home person and this is your job (which is so difficult in itself) I found it impossible to keep up. Plus I really don't need to write a journal on cleaning. Hello! It's boring enough doing it and then writing about it...

I needed something way easier and faster. I found a book called "Speed cleaning" by Jeff Campbell that works well for me.
In it you find advice like:
'if it's not dirty don't clean it" and 'vertical surfaces don't need to cleaned as often as horizontal ones.'

I also like
"Don't keep working after it's clean"

One thing I found is that you have a place for everything it makes cleaning a lot easier. If you don't have a place for things you keep moving them from one place to another.

And I only clean a room once a day! Otherwise I would be cleaning the kitchen all the time!

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2853585

Ooh..some good tips there, Mobi!

The one about having a place for everything is essential. The thing is until recently (I didn't discover the Dollar Stores until last year) I never had the shelves, baskets, and so on to keep things in order. What a difference it makes!

I also like the "Don't buy knick knacks" tip from Tir na dog. I wish I had discovered that one earlier, too!

betterbloom
Blythe, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 31, 2006
2:19 AM

Post #2867214

My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance & never clean on days that end in Y.
MollieB55
Landrum, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2006
9:25 PM

Post #2878980

I like to keep things neat, not much clutter. Yeah, I dust and mop and wipe off counters but...I figure if it looks OK for friends that is good enough. I don't invite a lot of friends into my bedroom and that seems to be a national obsession. A well made bed with tons of pillows to remove every night. Geez! I go in, get in my jammies and go to sleep. I do throw the covers up in the morning though.

My motto is "Have you ever seen "She was a fantastic housekeeper!" on someone's tomestone?"

Me, I want to make my mark somewhere else! :)
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2006
10:04 PM

Post #2879079

LOL, Mollie!! I like your motto!
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2957828

I no longer get flylady's endless emails... I was shocked at the sheer volume when I first signed on four years ago and promtly got off. After a friend told me about her again I resumed and deleted through lots once I got the picture. They greatly and vastly helped me get my stuff in gear when I was a wreck of a housewife, had just had my first child and couldn't get it together.. before her I use to pile the dishes till there were enough to justify my using the water.. Now I clean after each meal... try to anyway... Wake up to a clean kitchen to start the new day and not a pile of dishes bringing me down from the night before.

I have gotten rid of sooooo much clutter! It has taken years to to this. It has changed my life and it really does effect your mental state of mind. We moved into my husbands childhood home and my MIL and FIL took little more than their suitcases when they moved to the carribean for 7 years before the grandkids got here. They never threw out anything. I give away all kinds of stuff and no longer pile up the attic for yard sales, which I have to shlep down stairs and out the other side of the house.. Just put it in my car and donate the stuff. I am very blessed and I let it go to bless someone else. My kids are feed well and they have plenty of clothes, so why not share in my bounty. I have seen pictures of poor kids in Brazil wearing my kids outgrown clothes that my housekeeper took down and it is priceless. Yes, my mother always said I would need a housekeeper and she was right... just because I'm better doesn't mean I didn't realize I needed help.

I have actually had a woman at the Salvation Army ask me why I didn't have a yard sale instead of bringing it there.. lets see, being in my garden or a nice family weekend at the lake with my kids, Husband and dog or sitting around in nice weather selling my stuff to picky hagling strangers..(hey, I've been on the other side plenty too!!)

I keep things more organized. I may seem a little crazy with some things.. but it's my system and it works for me.. For example, no plastic containers go into the pantry closet without a lid.. if it doesn't have a lid on it, I wont use it and I wont want to search for one when I'm needing one right now. I'll give a lost container a few days on top of the washer to find it's lid and if it's lost and no luck.. it gets tossed. I admit, I get a little annoyed when hubby just tosses it all in after emptying the dishwasher and I do remind him... as if anyone couldn't open the door and see a pattern there!!

No purchased clutter comes into the house.. I try really hard to make purchases that will have a place in my home... (now I haven't quite mastered that in the garden yet, but maybe one day!!) I am very thoughful and purposeful with what I am buying my kids for Christmas.. Does it have a million pieces? Will they actually use it? Where will it go when not being used? I always remember when buying something that no matter how good of a deal it is, there is a cost involved once you get it home.. the cost of your time to clean it, move it, take care of it, deal with it, see it, be uncomfortable with it if it's not right in my home, and live to regret spending the money on it...

Of course we get the mail pile up but I try to make sure it doesn't go more than three days without being sorted and trashed.

I too went to the library and read all kinds of books about organization and cleaning.. I finally learned that I didn't have to keep everything that ever came through these doors and especially not because I was keeping a testament to someones former life... If anyone wanted something that badly, they should have taken it with them. I have let those old beliefs go and now, if it doesn't serve us in some way, it goes. It took a long time for us to get to that point and we are so much the better for it. I have read threads on Daves where folks have shown the chaos but are unwilling to part with anything and want life to be simple. I've tried to be helpfully suggestive, but bottom line is that if your home is in chaos, your life is in chaos.

Susan
MollieB55
Landrum, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2962044

A dear friend sent me this just the other. It is great! Some truly wise ideas :)

http://members.shaw.ca/faithshannon/housecleaning.htm
Jenks
Social Circle, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2006
5:48 PM

Post #2962063

I love Fly Lady. Her ideas on dusting ( my daughter blesses the world now and has her own duster- the collection of model horses needs weekly dusting- she dusts more than I do) and cleaning with your kids were creative and great. I too, cannot take the emails, but I love the reminders to do things you'd never get around to once a week or so. I wish there were a watered down version, I just don't have time for all of it.
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2006
9:47 PM

Post #2962649

Funny Mollie :)

Yes Jenks it's really a major deal if you get all the emails and want to read them all.. but then you get the picture after a while.

Susan
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2006
2:05 PM

Post #2964327

Yes, flylady e-mails can be annoying but after reading a few you can fashion your own plan of action, I think.

Susan, your philosophy sounds awfully sound. One thing I did which has helped: when the lady from AmVets calls and says the truck will be in our neighborhood for donation pick ups and asks if I have anything I say 'yes' immediately, and then I make myself put together a bag of stuff (no matter how minimal) to put out each time she calls.

She now calls about every two weeks, and systematically I have cleaned out many neglected closets with just one bag at a time. Takes maybe five minutes and it makes me feel great!

The other thing I do is when I get the mail, I immediately take it into the kitchen counter and stand over the trash can and quickly dump all the advertising circulars and mailers in without even opening them. It saves so much time and I am not tempted to 'keep' coupons etc. and then just move papers from table top to desk and 're-handle- so much junkola.

Now, with Christmas coming, I am not going to bring out every little junky ornament or decoration just to set them 'out'...I'm only putting out those things that family members really care about. (I think there are too many cheap red ribbons and junky plastic ornaments in the stores and other homes already! LOL --Keep it simple and elegant, that's what I think!)

Mollie--I love the punch line on your joke. Oh, how a propos is that for all of us on DG!
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3217626

Well, I'm so happy I found this forum here at DG. Already, I've learned a lot. I'm really excited about flylady and am determined to try her methods. So, I really appreciate this thread.

Thanks again,
Susan
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3219622

It has changed my life and I'm not kidding.. I have purged purged purged. I consider every purchase I bring into my home and my home stays cleaner, neater and comfortable. It's not perfect, but I'm still in the process and I'm on the right track.

Susan

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2007
10:57 AM

Post #3219634

[quote] Living with me is a perpetual scavenger hunt! [/quote]

If you have a chore or project that will take 10 or 15 minutes to complete and it takes you an additional 10 to 15 minutes to find the necessary tools / materials / information, etc. you have wasted your time. Just a thought.
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3232089

I didn't read what everyone else wrote, but I personally love Flylady! I even belong to the Yahoo group called Flygarden (for those of us who even have a chaotic garden). Tamara
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3233808

Zone5girl, I didn't know about "Flygarden" but I may have to look into it! I am already behind for this season! Please pass along some of the tips here on DG!

Dyson, Yes, having the tools in order makes a lot of sense. Now if I could get my kids to agree!

Haven't looked at Flylady's website in a little while, but now that Spring is (almost) here, I'm going to review it for good spring organizing tips (although I am sure she is organized and organizing all through the year!) My basement is a mess---amaryllis growing paraphenalia all over the place (I have about 50 down there under lights)!

I am sticking to "my one bag of donations to charity every time they want to make a pick-up" and it's working beautifully. I even got my kids to get rid of some of their high school junk. (My 'kids' are in their twenties)

Good luck with spring cleaning, everyone! t..

susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #3260391

Everyone should check out the Flylady's segment of the talk radio show. If you miss them, they're archived. The link is on her website. It's well worth listening to.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3269416

Flylady has been an absolute godsend for me.

Her approach just hits the right buttons for some reason.
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3272911

summerkid, that's exactly how I feel. Suddenly, it all makes sense.

Susan
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3277878

Just wanted to report that I worked on organizing my basement last week. I have been procrastinating on that for a year! It looks great (if I do say so myself!)

Now, what else needs to be done? Oh, yes, the garden needs to be cleaned up for Spring! Yay!!
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

May 27, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6606283

"I finally learned that I didn't have to keep everything that ever came through these doors and especially not because I was keeping a testament to someones former life... If anyone wanted something that badly, they should have taken it with them."

Wow, I love that quote from Susan. It means two things to me. Let go of the Krap my own mom has given to me and don't burden my grandchildren with it. My son and DIL have already told me they don't want my KRAP.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6606856

Love it! [quote]If anyone wanted something that badly, they should have taken it with them.[/quote]
Spring hit and the garden took my attention. I have just about caught up with that and will start on the house this weekend. I have made plans for a get together at my house on June 6th, so that is my goal right now. Thank goodness I got started on decluttering earlier this year.
Also, we just got a call and company is coming out the weekend after July 4th from Georgia, so I will have to fix up a bathroom that needs remodeling before then. Can't do everything but I want it presentable. Paint new sink and mirror & lighting. Want to tile, but that is not possible, need to be realistic.
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6608780

Wow! My company only gets the sink wiped out!

Now that kids are getting out of school I am going to have to start paying better attention to the flylady routine.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6610215

Spring has sprung and the Fly Lady thread has resurrected itself!

After reading the newest posts I went back to the Fly Lady website to refresh my memory and to pick out certain applicable sections for my kids home from college for the summer!! Rather have Fly Lady do the nagging than me!

Then tomorrow down to the basement for Part II of my purging campaign. We made a huge drop off at Good Will a couple of months ago, and it practically broke my heart to part with some of those things, but feeling 'free' of clutter is a blessing, I have to agree! Now to continue my War on Clutter!

Yes, we are expecting summer guests too, so will have to get things ship shape upstairs and my kitchen cupboards purged. Nothing like house guests to make you look carefully at your housekeeping habits.

I think I am going to print out some of Fly Lady's routines/lists and try to practice them for a couple of months to get the place in shape!

Oh, and I just noticed that I still have Christmas garland and tinsel strung over the windows in the kitchen! Oh my! There is work to do here!

Happy summer! t.

terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6610296

Tobasco-
I love the Christmasa garland confession! It makes me feel ahead of the gang. Actually you are just early for Christmas this year - right???

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6613260

My DH and I patrol our neighborhood a couple times a week (assoc with Police Dept) for a crime deterrant. Over in one area yesterday we noticed someone still had those electric reindeer on their roof!! I bet the neighbors around them love that!
1Birdie
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6849622

HI I'm new to this forum, and I was wondering if any one had any inexpensive ways to store and organize a spice cupboard?
Birdie

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6849670

I use the turntables, have for years. Not fancy but definately functional.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6850370

I use the turntables too, and we have a lot of spices(2 small cupboards)
1Birdie
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6853521

thanks. do you just keep them in the original containers?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6854376

I do, it makes it easier to recognize what I'm looking for.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6860166

We just organized our spice cabinet and my daughter found some tins with clear lids that were magnetized (she found them at a bulk discount price). They were similar to these: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=33

Then she took all the various spices accumulated in their original bags and so on (probably 75 different kinds) and re-canned them and made dymo labels for them. Then she stacked the tins on the kitchen cabinet shelf. Easy to see and keep organized. And I found myself using lots of spices that I had forgotten or misplaced so it kind of jazzed up our menu. You could get magnetized strips from Ikea or Home Depot to put the cans up on the wall, too.

Some of the spices that come in nice glass jars we just put on the spice rack that is built into the cabinet door.

Here are some other ideas: http://www.nextag.com/organizer-spice/products-html

gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

July 25, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6861325

I checked out the specialty bottle place. They have those cool hinged tins. My husband used to eat mints and candies by the handfuls. I had lots of them. I finally started to use them to keep sewing supplies in. They stack in a small plastic drawer, you can add a strip of magnet to the bottom of them, and you can spray paint all the lids white. Then I wrote on them with an enamel paint marker. But you could use a label maker, or just write the name in a large font and tape it on the top. AOL used to send discs through the mail in metal tins. I have some of those with quilting safety pins in them.

Also they are handy to keep q-tips in my travel bag/cosmetic kit. They stay clean and unbent for a long time.

I cleaned out my mom's kitchen and spice supplies. She had stuff so old that it didn't even have a fragrance anymore. So I discarded lots of them for her. It's okay - she replaced all those spices she never used with new spices she will never use. =D

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6862992

I leave them in the original containers mainly because of the expiration dates. I don't display them on a counter so doesn't look cluttered.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6863283

I find this thread pretty interesting. I'm an ADD adult, full time teacher and I've been attending university full time to complete my Master's degree. At the best of times I'm messy, but now my house is a full blown disaster. I kept thinking that I built this mess, so I can un-build it. I was trying to use my summer break to get control of my house but had to travel to Texas 3 times (twice for seriously ill relative, once for funeral) and finally just hired a certified organizer (Brenda, from Granney's Girls) to work with me on taming the mess. I have been a member of Messies Anonymous, and Flylady but it just didn't work for me. I will try those systems again once I finally have my house under control again.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6863737

Best of luck to you as you start the process. Keep us informed maybe you can inspire others.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6864528

If I get brave I'll post before and after pictures.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6864884

We'll watch for the pics. We can all use a little incentive! At least you have a lot of important things going on in your life that require attention so you can cut yourself some slack on the housekeeping!

Not so, me, but I am trying to clean out our 'basement of no return' this month and I am making a little headway (thanks to my dear daughter who is helping). I just can't bear to part with so many of our 'keepsakes'...
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6865025

Hey tabasco,
even when I didn't have 'a lot of important things' I was still an ADD adult and it seemed to take me 10 times as long to do household tasks as it did most other people. I forgot to mention that I have someone (Brenda's mother Bonnie) who comes into my classroom every 3-4 weeks to help me decorate for the month and to re-organize what is getting out of control.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6865061

Maybe she can come to your house, too?!
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6865212

Brenda is doing my house. I find Bonnie is a whiz with classroom things, but a packrat at home - one my big problems. Bonnie is great with papercrafts, inventory, paperwork, filing and the things I need help with at school. So, I have one for school, and one for home. My goal is to not be embarassed by either my classroom or home. To top it off, my husband is a pastor and the pressure for him to entertain at home is mounting...
1Birdie
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6865607

thanks to all who contributed to my "spice" question!!LOts of great ideas!
BIRDIE
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

August 9, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6925369

I've been doing Flylady for about 2 months now- found her thanks to this thread. I have to say, I LOVE her and really took to heart her saying that you have to adjust her ideas to your own lifestyle. I think that part is really key, as is using the timer. For over a month I've spent 15 minutes about four days a week sorting through old papers that I've literally been avoiding for years. In the past, I would have expected myself to lock myself in the room with them all day or until it was done and I would have been miserable (no wonder I avoided it for so long!).

My live-in boyfriend's mom is coming to visit next month and for once I'm not doing the procrastination/ panic/ crisis clean thing that I've almost always done in the past.

A word of warning, though: Flylady seems to be about decluttering and housekeeping, and on the surface, that's exactly what it is. On a deeper level, though, it's about decluttering on the INSIDE- all those negative patterns and thoughts that kept you in chaos in the first place. The physical energy it takes to do the work is nothing compared to the emotional energy that goes into working flylady's plan, but the benefits are tremendous. Fasten your seatbelts, kids, you're in for a helluva ride!

It's about progress, not perfection, as evidenced by this picture of my "shiny" sink!

Thumbnail by joeyramone
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6926127

I know what you mean about the 'inner clutter' aspect of Fly Lady.

I find if I follow some of her suggestions for a period of time I have this inner feeling of 'freedom' and not just from housekeeping.

Right now I should take a tip from you and spend 15 minutes a day on cleaning and sorting my office. Now an organized office would give me a real feeling of 'freedom'!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

August 10, 2009
10:47 AM

Post #6929286

The office is a tough one if you use it a lot. We just did a major de-clutter in here and already stuff is starting to pile up. I'm gonna have to start hot spotting it every day to keep it from deteriorating- and fast!
blazia
Canton, OH

October 13, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7163376

I have the next 6 weeks off due to foot surgery, could the Fly Lady have me well on my way to organized bliss?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7163473

I think so. Just spending some time every day studying her site and the information there will help you put together a good gameplan and hey, it only takes 3 weeks to form a good habit! I think that her site helped me.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7165864

Yes, I agree.

A little time every day looking around the site will give you some good ideas to implement.

Even if you don't do all she talks about, just a positive change or two in daily routine can make a nice difference, I think. Fly Lady has lots of ideas (some are a little nutty, but, oh, well!?!)
CCharleen
Dallas, TX

June 22, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8647996

I now live with a clean kitchen sink always by the end of the day. Thanks Fly Lady!
Zooty
Mansfield, TX

June 26, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8655683

I started following FlyLady long before she had a website. Her name is Marla Celly (I believe I am spelling it right) and she was on one of the old AOL message boards all of the time. She made me a much better housekeeper. To me, the key to following her as she now exists on her website, is to not take her or yourself too seriously. Follow what you can and/or want to and don't obsess about not doing something. Like someone above mentioned, just doing the morning and evening routines really help. When I was working fulltime, I made up my own schedule for cleaning so that I did my own self-identified zone so that I did every zone once every six months. That kept my house, etc., clean. Now that I have retired, I have made up a cleaning schedule so that I do self-identified zones on a every 14-weeks rotation.

Since Marla has been so successful with her website, I don't believe she does work outside the home anymore. She used to be a judge in the city where she lived.
Zooty
Mansfield, TX

June 26, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8655694

Didn't realize this was such an old thread when I responded above. Regardless, what I said is true.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8665020

I followed the thread for awhile back several years ago, great that it has resurfaced!
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8680367

I had never heard of FlyLady, but just came across this thread. I've always been a little obsessed with organization and decluttering, but have let things get kind of out of control (for me). I have health problems that often get in the way of getting things cleaned and taken care of, and it drives me crazy. I'm trying to get into some kind of routine with the housework, errands, and paperwork, but am having difficulty just remembering to take care of things. Hopefully I can find some good tips and tricks on the FlyLady site. =)
dottyjojo
Tipton, MO

July 19, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8701094

I've followed her advice on and off for several years. Do what you can and stick with it. One thing that I do is to put away at least one item from each room every day with Saturday and Sunday off. I will slide off the schedule but will start the practice again.

An uncluttered house is easier to clean and you won't have the emergency cleaning job when company comes. Keep doing it and then one day you will notice that your house looks so great you'll wonder if it's yours. I rasied 4 sons and know a lot about clutter.

Find a cloth shopping bag, put your cleaning supplies in it. Buy a flannel sheet from a thrift store for $2, tear it into rag size and use these rags for cleaning the windows, counter tops or range they are great and then wash them and use them again, again and again.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
3:04 AM

Post #8703039

Yep, totally with you, Dotty.

An uncluttered home is not only easier to clean it is satisfying to live in. I worry that this forum is creating the mindset that decluttering can be a hobby, when it should be a means to an end.
nermlcat
Youngstown, OH

August 2, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8732390

I tried flylady. problem 1 is that inside i am a nudist. so much for dressing to clothes and shoes.
One great thing she does is the home journal with emergency information. September is FEMA's preparadness month. ready.gov is a great place to start, so is homeland security...what to pack in a jump kit in caSe u need to evacuate, storm/disaster preparadness, sheltering in place.
Realize that after a major disaster, you will have no help from FEMA for 2-3 days...so you are on your own with help from neighbors. Do you have first aid/CPR training? can u care for the kids with substantial injuries? redcross has a lot of that training for free or a minimal cost. get your faith-based or employer to get a class held. they will pick up the cost. Check with local emergency and fire. What are their disaster plans?
If u are rural, you are definitely on your own. This means water, food, sanitary faculities. You may not have electricity or gas for months. don't mean to scare anyone, bot PLEASE check into what programs are in place locally and prepare yourselves. Thanks for doing it!
nermlcat

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America