-
AuthorContent
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2006
5:20 AM

Post #2186295

I am thinking about getting some chickens and I've read through several of the posts here already. Two questions that I didn't see answered:

What do you do with the eggs, after collecting them, to prepare for eating? (I've heard they can carry salmonella (sp?) or something)
I've seen wild turkey's near our house/property, do I need to worry about them?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2006
5:29 AM

Post #2186306

hi got2!

the answer ot the first one is in one of the threads, started by PeggyK. i think Seppy answered it very well.

and the second answer is, that chickens are a potential health threat to turkeys, not vice versa. the fact that you have seen wild turkey around, i would think is a good indication that there are bugs etc to be eaten [food aplenty for your flock], and predator count may be low. if your chicks hang around the turkeys, they may even be safer from predaotrs.

the one thing that concerns me is that you carefully train your flock to come in at night, rather than roosting in trees like the turkeys will.

so, have you decided what kind you are going ot get? that was the toughest choice for me!

tf
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2006
2:06 PM

Post #2186769

I think the name of the thread is "Chickens and their eggs" where you can find info about cleaning the eggs for use. I had major concerns about this at first too.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2006
6:55 PM

Post #2187369

Thanks for the information, I found the thread about washing them. We are only going to get 5 or 6 of them to start. We have a coop and a run so we won't let them run on the property. The local feed store has several different varieties so we'll get them there. Golden Sex Link were recommended highly by one of my co-workers but I don't think they have any at the feed store.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America