Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Snail Vine

Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

It's blloming like crazy. I took the whole thing off the trellis last year and cut it back as it was pulling the trellis down and had alot of dead growth on there.

Thumbnail by KactusKathi
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Georgeous!

Phoenix, AZ

Beautiful! Love the Painting :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks God for my husband that it trims it or it will eat everything in its path.
It is very happy in our climate.

Good gardening

Rodica

Tucson, AZ

that is lovely!! hope mine do as well. :)

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

looks great! my snail vines are still recovering from the frost damage from winter. i had to cut a lot of damage off, but i am sure by mid summer they will be full like last year. did your's get much frost damage?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Of those who have snail vine can you tell me do they get many bees? I'm looking for something
to put over an arbor with bench but I don't want to share it with too many bees. I'd like to be
able to relax sitting out there, not worrying about getting stung. I was thinking about a climbing
yellow rose until I thought about bees........

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks and Happy Gardening,
Gemfire

Phoenix, AZ

I've had snail vines for close to 20 years and have never noticed bees being attracted to them.

Phoenix, AZ

No bees

Queen Creek, AZ

They do attract ants though!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ants?? Anybody know why?

Queen Creek, AZ

Check out the Plant Files on this site for snail vine. Many mentions of ants, and one mentioned the vine needs ants for pollination.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I did a small patio garden for a gal who is allergic to bees - we used snail vine for her flowering plants 'cause they don't them seem to attract them. They're such a cool plant for up close viewing, too. I've never seen ants on mine, but I guess I've never really looked, either. Maybe that's why mine has never fruited in any way?

Hopefully an up-close pic will further whet your appetite... I really like these plants.

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have never had a problem with ants or bees and this plant has bloomed for 10 years now.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

No bees on mine but I do see ants every now and then. Mine suffeed frost damage but seems to becoming back strong.

Phoenix, AZ

Groovy close up PC :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a lot of bees in my yard but I have not seen any of them on my snail vine and no ants either.Maybe the flowers have no nectar.

Good gardening

Rodica

Thumbnail by RODICAP
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I had a lot of beez in my yard too, until yesterday, but that's a whole different story.

Marie, I have them growing on a chain link fence - the ones under a tree survive, but the exposed portions die back every year. But they appear to be very root hardy, no problem.

Thanks Fishie - I was outside having Macro fun the other day!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I have one of these (that has turned into many...) that I absolutely cannot kill... no matter what! It is lovely (and very invasive), but I love that it comes back after frost or if I cut them waaaay back (which is required from time to time). Never noticed it attracting any bees. I'll bring cuttings to the next swap, they root like crazy!

Brenda

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

P.S. Within a few weeks this one will be up into the overhang and spreading down the side of the house!

Thumbnail by bsavage
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Brenda how do you take a cutting from these? I have one and would love to start it in a few different places in my yard

Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

Marie - My information says from hardwood cuttings and even the leaves can be propagated and of course from seeds.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I do not remember seeing any seeds on mine snail vine. Did any of you get any seeds?

Good gardening

Rodica

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

No nope seeds on mine that I know of. I have seen the seeds for sale though.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi... last year I just snipped off some end pieces and threw them in a vase of water in the house! Within days, they had roots, within weeks they had lots & lots of roots. I grew it in the house for a while! Easy, peasy!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

P.S. Don't forget to remove lower leaves that would be under the waterline!

This message was edited Apr 28, 2006 7:39 AM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that easy? I am going to snip off a piece of mine when I get home!!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

OK, I indulged! I'm now the proud mother of three small Vigna caracalla vines - which were labeled "Corckscrew." I'm hoping the all-day full sun plus reflected heat won't kill them.

I had beautiful passion vines in that spot last year - which thrived in the heat - but the caterpillars stripped them completely bare and only two of the 7 survived. *sigh* I loved those passies, I loved the butterflies, and I'm not looking forward to ants by the pool but... I am rather excited about my new vines!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's what my snail vine is "up to" these days...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Is it just me having this problem? It started dying back all of a sudden. Perhaps the intense heat we've been having? Snail Vines are so heat tolerant, though.

Thumbnail by azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's a close up....

Thumbnail by azrobin
Phoenix, AZ

Mine looks like that when they're full of spider mites. I'm ripping out everything that is spider mite food :( Except a couple of brugs that I will continue to baby.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, poo! Gosh, it happened so quickly! But then I've neglected it badly and right before that photo, I had to curl up about 6 feet of runners out on my cool deck. I'll spray the heck out of it this weekend and see what happens.

I didn't feel like doing anything while recovering (still recovering) from my fractured collar bone and now my Mom is here with a herniated disc, needs assistance walking, doctor appointments and I finally have her scheduled for surgery on Tueday. Recovery will be here with me for the next 4 weeks. With the heat, and ailment issues between her and me I've been a negligent gardener. :-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Sounds like you're entitled to a little negligent gardening! Good luck with everything, Robin!

Tucson, AZ

I grew snail vine at our old house. It was lovely, on a west-facing wall. It froze back quite a bit during winter but, instead of cutting it down we just shook off all of the dried up leaves. It grew back on the old growth. Mine set lots of seed and we had little seedlings, not enough to be invasive, but I could move them or give them away easily. One year it did get spider mites but we cut it to the ground. When it grew back I never had that problem again. So, I'm here to say that it can be grown from seed if your plant produces them. I'd just let them germinate in the ground and then move them or give them away, rather than starting them yourself. They look like they might need scarification if you did it yourself. They're pretty hard. We would sometimes have those huge black carpenter bees buzzing around it but I never noticed any other bees being interested in it. It did actually grow into a crack in a wall once and wound up in our guest room, to my surprise.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I'm thinking bugs of some sort, too. Hope you and your Mom recover quickly!!!

Gilbert, AZ

Kathi Beautiful vine and that looks like a mightly sturdy trellis. I don't think the trellis I had in mind in going to do the trick.

Scottsdale, AZ

My snail vine became infested last spring with lots of tiny mite-like, pinhead sized bugs. There was no visible evidence that they were affecting the vine's growth (like a passion vine getting eaten by cats), still, the plant wasn't very happy. I sprayed them with a variety of solutions but enough would survive. Then I bought a little box of ladybugs at Bakers and let them loose. In a day or two there was not a ladybug or mite-thingy to be found. I trust they eloped! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.